Fuck You, another punk rock PET

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Fuck You, another punk rock PET

Post by campinfool »

I like shitty music. Even though I am approaching 40, am married, and have 3 kids and all the responsibilities of a suburban dweller I still can not shake my taste for 3 chord rock and roll. Even the golden age of punk rock in Austin is, in my opinion, long over it still sucks when another of the long time venues is shutting it's doors. In time we have already seen the demise of Liberty Lunch, Cannibal Club, Cavity Club, the Blue Flamingo, and the Electric Lounge. The only long standing staple for 3 chord rock has been Emo's on 6th Street. Well wouldn't you know they are movong to make way for some more condos or shit like that. So to celebrate the club hosted a crap load of free shows and brought all the middle aged derelicts out of hiding and prodded some more aging rock stars to reunite for one last shindig, at least for this calender year. The following is my documentation of the last days of a once dead, still warmed over music scene. On December 15th, 2011 I embarked on what may be my final journey into the underbelly of 3 chord revolutions in the capital city. The first band to play was the mighty Jesus Christ Superfly. The Austin Chronicle describes them as this in their musician registry...

Formed by former EMG guitarist Rick Carney and Pocket FishRmen bassist Ron Williams in 1991, Jesus Christ Superfly has never wavered from pile-driving punk rock with no hint of pretense in their 16-year existence. Guitarist Brian McGoo and drummer Russ Curry fleshed out the band’s initial lineup. Their 1992 debut 7-inch, Big Shit, was the inaugural release for Rise Records, an Austin-based label founded by poster artist Frank Kozik and Sound Exchange manager Craig Koon. The band’s self-titled 1993 LP boasted a winning rendition of the Dead Boys’ “Sonic Reducer” sung by Williams. When McGoo and Curry left before the subsequent tour, JCSF added drummer Cade Callahan and decided to continue as a trio. Steve Sanden had replaced Callahan by the time the band released Texas Toast in 1996. The 14-song album featured the ultra-derisive “Sob Story” along with a cover of the Angry Samoans’ “Lights Out.” Eight years passed before Superfly released its third album, I Don’t Wanna Be Crazy. With Paul Soliz at the drum stool, the band assumed a more garage-rock-oriented tone on Carney’s “Action Girl” and choice covers like Roy Head’s “Treat Her Right” and the Ramones’ “She’s the One.” By 2005, Carney was passing the punk torch forward to a new generation as manager of the Austin branch of the Paul Green School of Rock. – Greg Beets

Seems like just yesterday, JC Superfly held their very own 20th anniversary reunion gigs. Well actually it was back in July.

(Edited by 88)

Second of the night was the Chumps. The Chumps are best experienced first hand. That is all there is to it. The Austin Chronical describes them as such...

Emerging from the same cheap-beer-puddled nook of Austin's mid-Nineties underground rock scene that birthed the Motards, Reclusives, and the Cryin' Out Louds, the Chumps specialized in raging garage-punk anthems that celebrated the wanton flouting of convention and responsibility. Formed in 1995, the quartet's theme song, "I'm a Chump," brandished an aural middle finger in the faces of moms, dads, bosses, and deities with the memorable refrain, "I'm a fuckin' Chump!/I'm all fucked up!/I wanna be demoted!" Key to elevating such sentiments beyond garden-variety rebellion was vocalist Sean McGowan, whose contorted singing style bore resemblance to both David Johansen and Darby Crash. Bassist Frankie Nowhere played up the Dee Dee Ramone angle by occasionally chirping in on the choruses, while chainsaw guitarist Duane Holtz and surf-styled drummer Aaron Fox linked the band to rock's earliest contrarian energy. The Chumps' sole LP, 1999's R.I.P. Good Times (Mortville), pulled no punches with bile-stained missives like "Fuck You, I'm Rich" and "Punch Mama." The band dissolved just as the album was released. In 2006, Mortville/Super Secret issued a Chumps compilation featuring all of Good Times along with the band's early single releases featuring drummers Mike Legget (Cryin' Out Louds) and Sean Powell (Fuckemos). – Greg Beets

The Chumps are one of those bands who seem to have reunited quite often lately and they never disappoint.

(Edited by 88)

If you still don't have the desire to off yourself at this point and you have 30 minutes to waste, here is a low budget documentary on the mighty Chumps.

(Edited by 88)

Finally, the headliner hit the stage. My favorite local band of all time, the Dead End Cruisers. they seem to be on their 3rd or 4th reunion show as well, but live or on vinyl the Cruisers blow everyone else away in Austin. Plus if you need remodeling work done, the front man, Neil Curran does bad ass work and was featured on TLC a few years ago. Like I told my wife when he bid our house last year, how can you go wrong with an Enlgish punk rocker covered in tatoos who was on cable television on a Flip this House episode. Anyway the Austin Chronicle says this about the DEC...

Led by London expatriate and novelist Neil Curran on vocals and guitar, Dead End Cruisers reintroduced the sound of 1977 to the local punk scene. Rounded out by bassist Dave VonHoodlum, lead guitarist Graham Mills, and drummer Brent Schumacher, the quartet debuted in 1998 with Deep Six Holiday, 11 cuts of Clash-like punk highlighted by a visceral Demolition 23 cover. It was the first release for seminal Huntington Beach, Calif., label TKO Records, which has since released work from Austin groups like Lower Class Brats, Krum Bums, and Complete Control. The Patron Saints of Wheless Lane followed shortly after on Unity Squad. Living up to their name, Dead End Cruisers toured frequently until disbanding in 2003. The following year, Curran, Mills, and Schumacher formed the Score with Stretford’s Barry Anderson, favoring mod-era Who, an early influence on Dead End Cruisers. In 2006, TKO re-released Friday Nights, a long-out-of-print vinyl EP that featured a cover of “Can’t Explain.” That same year, Dead End Cruisers, like every seminal Austin punk band before them, reunited for a one-off performance at Emo’s in November. – Austin Powell

(Edited by 88)

And one more just because the Cruisers rule this shit hole town. Now and Forever.

(Edited by 88)

Maybe this is the last go round for all of us shitty music fans, but each time a reunion show hits, I will be there sucking Lone Star tallboys, hoping my black leather studded jack still fits.
Last edited by campinfool on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Re: Fuck You, another punk rock PET

Post by campinfool »

Looks like I'm so punk rock that I am too tech. inept that I can't even embed a youtube video. Fuck me.

(I got your back, man - Edited by 88)
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

You have excellent taste, sir.
Last edited by Dr_Phibes on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Going to see the Dammed tomorrow night at the metro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RRlA08KsUM[/youtube]
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

missjo wrote:Going to see the Dammed tomorrow night at the metro

Going to see Jane's Addiction next month at the Aud.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Funny story about my 4 year old son and some of this punk rock action. Last year we decided to do a pretty decent amount of remodeling on our house. So after searching for contractors for a while, I finally found a guy who did everything. I mean from carpentry to roofing, to carpet, and tile. So I have him bid the job for me and my wife says "no way" to hiring a Dead End Cruiser because he comes in my house covered in tattoos and his truck and his tee shirt have this as the logo..

Anyway thru his BBB standing, his reference checks, and his competitive bid we hired a Dead End Cruiser to work on our house. He told me we were his only punk rock referral in the 10 years as a remodeling contractor. My son who was 3 at the time really took to him, following him like a shadow. And to this day, my son will randomly find a pen or marker and draw up and down his arms so he can be "like Neil". And when my son hears a punk rock song with some sing along chorus, he asks "is that Neil'? He even puts on his own performances with a guitar hero controller and a dust pan serving as a mic stand. He is a punk rock little dude.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

this campinfool dude... I want to party with him.

Is that a Scottish Terrier on the couch?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Looks like a Mexican Mother-in-Law to me.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:
missjo wrote:Going to see the Dammed tomorrow night at the metro

Going to see Jane's Addiction next month at the Aud.
I remember 1991 when I realized I just didn't like Jane's Addiction.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rack the PET. I've never done a large-scale music festival before and I'd give up a ball to attend Austin City Limits. South by Southwest would obviously be cool, too.

I have a Modest Mouse from Emo's from the early 00s. I might have to listen to that.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

War Wagon wrote:Is that a Scottish Terrier on the couch?
Scottish Terrorist. Little fuckers sacked York, and won their independence at Bannockburn....
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
BSmack wrote:Going to see Jane's Addiction next month at the Aud.
I remember 1991 when I realized I just didn't like Jane's Addiction.
1991 was when I started to like Jane's Addiction. I recommend listening to Summertime Rolls while tripping balls. It worked for me.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:Looks like a Mexican Mother-in-Law to me.
:lol:

I wish I was in, Tijuana, eating barbequed, Iguana.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Awesome
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

RACK Wags for spotting the "Scotty". Hahaha! I love those dogs! They're like little "hovercrafts".

Awesome PET, btw.

The last small venue show I went to was The Fabulous Rudies and Buck-0-Nine.

We ended up getting kicked out 1/2 way into B09's performance due to a "misunderstanding". :/

People are teh suxxorz.
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

War Wagon wrote: :lol:

I wish I was in, Tijuana, eating barbequed, Iguana.

First video I saw on MTV.

Thought I was having D.T.s when the dude's face came out of the beans.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Ana Ng wrote:We ended up getting kicked out 1/2 way into B09's performance due to a "misunderstanding". :/
Expound.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Carson wrote:Thought I was having D.T.s when the dude's face came out of the beans.
Please, expound on your alcoholism.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Ana Ng wrote:We ended up getting kicked out 1/2 way into B09's performance due to a "misunderstanding". :/
Expound.
Oh, some weirdo kept following me around the place about 15 minutes after we got there (before the show started). I was with my husband and 2 of his buddies from the boat, so I figured this dude was just a mensa....not that big of a deal. We hung back through the Fab. Rudies set, and when B09 came out, we headed to the edge of the stage to lose the tard. While we were there, Mike's 2 friends joined in a mosh pit that had formed behind us, and was having a good time until some huge asshole picked up some little guy and literally THREW him across the place. At that, Mike's friend told the beastly guy that everyone was "just here to have a good time", and maybe he should calm the fuck down. After that, his two friends were leaving the pit, when another big dude started after one of them. Mike just happened to turn around and see this, so he bolted over and grabbed the guy before he could do anything to his friend. As soon as he did, about 6 security guards jumped Mike and were trying to get him down on the ground. They weren't having any luck until the 400+ slob security guard wobbled into the mix. Mike wasn't resisting them because he was angry, he was resisting them because they wanted to get him on the ground and he was trying to move to the outskirts of the crowd. Just then, I saw that they finally were able to wrestle him to the ground, and I FREAKED out. I knew that was gonna be bad, so I scrambled over there to stop the pussy ass crowd from doing what they do....and yelled for them to "Get him off the ground"! No sooner did those words come outta my mouth, I saw a couple guys start kicking Mike, so I jumped on the big fat security dude and pulled him backwards on his ass as I tried to get to Mike in the middle. Dude got up and tossed me across the room. By the time I had gotten off the floor, they had dragged Mike out by the bar. It was pretty awesome, because B09 stopped playing and all of the sudden I had a friggin' light on me. The lead singer (Jon) then asked me "What happened to you"? All I can remember saying is that "I hafta go", and he goes...."Awwwwww" and waved bye. Hahaha! How fucking embarrassing.

Anyhow, after talking with security it turned out that the dude that "started after" Mike's friend, WAS a security guard...and he was just headed over to ask him what the problem was with the big faggot in the mosh pit. Unfortunately, he wasn't dressed in the same "uniform" that the rest of the guys were wearing, so Mike just thought he was a patron.

Seeing as it was just a huge misunderstanding, they invited us to stay, but told us that it prolly wasn't a good idea....because Mike would be a "target" if he went back in. Sooooo, we left.

Oh, and none of us were drunk. :/
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

There are trolls who don't come up with stories that good.

RACK Ana for jumping on Paul Blart and scoring points with the band.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Carson wrote:Thought I was having D.T.s when the dude's face came out of the beans.
Please, expound on your alcoholism.
I've never done 'shrooms or LSD, so I figured it was the college booze.

Expound upon your Nimbus 5000 jizz mop.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Emo's is one of the best venues in Austin to see a show. I used to love Liberty Lunch back in the day.....saw some great bands there.

One band from Austin I really dug back in the day was Godzilla Motor Company........I saw them at Emo's......
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

big scratch acid and big boys fan inna day.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

The original Emo's is closed at Red River and 6th street, but they have moved in to the old Back Room location on East Riverside Dr. Not exactly the same ambiance. East Riverside is a mix of UT student housing and the chicano hood.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Harvdog wrote: Godzilla Motor Company
http://vimeo.com/1593943

Thought that sounded vaguely familiar. Dangerous Toys guy.
I saw them in the late 90's. They were really good and didn't wear flannel.

I also like Great American Psycho Band. They were good and saw them at Emo's at least 30 times

The old backroom was cool back in the day. I saw the Mentor's there and GWAR. Lots of fun.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

King Crimson wrote:scratch acid
I. am. very. down.

Saw Dangerous Toys open for The Cult on the Sonic Temple tour. I felt odd that the Southern Death Cult whom I loved so mush was touring with some weirdo hair metal like Dangerous Toys and Bonham. Guess I was the weirdo there.
why is my neighborhood on fire