Le Creuset

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Le Creuset

Post by trev »

Do I need one? They are quite expensive and I never justified having one. I use my stockpot for everything. What is so good about a Le Creuset? Does it cook better or what? Today I'm making some sauce and shopping at Williams Sonoma online. They are having a cookware sale.

Here is the sauce I am making. I've tried it with lasagna and it was great, so tonight I'm trying it with spaghetti.

1 pound sweet Italian sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: Le Creuset

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

trev wrote:I use my stockpot for everything.

Oh, I know what you mean! I use my stock pot for everything!

I can stock pot all the time!
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I assume that your stock pot is for every day use.

On special occasions you bring out da kine bud?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Mikey, do you have a Le Creuset???
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:Mikey, do you have a Le Creuset???
Nope. But I'm hoping to get a couple for Christmas.

(They have an outlet store in Carlsbad)
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:Do I need one?
Do you need a Le Creuset? No. Do you need heavy, enameled cast iron casseroles? Absolutely. My casseroles (3 qt round, 5 qt oval) are Cuisinart which are cheaper but not particularly cheap. They are well worth it.

They excel at long, low temperature cooking. The thick cast iron retains and distributes heat very well. They're also ideal for braising meat and are oven safe. They should be your go to pots for sauces, soups, stews and stove top pot roasting.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

the OL has some sort of cast iron pot. don't know what the brand is, but, it isn't le crouset, which i thinks translates to "i like to cook and pay too much for stuff". Excellent for cooking chickens in.

i 'spose it makes sense to have fancy french cookware if you are a professional cook or just rolling in money. if you are neither and you paid retail, you are a stupid poseur.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Or if you want one where the enamel isn't going to start to chip a week after you bought it.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Do you clean your cookwear with an air chisel, goobs?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

If you knew anything about the subject you are addressing, well, that would be a fucking first. The reason some of that enameled cast iron is so Goddamned expensive is due to the quality of the enamel. I didn't go with the French job, but the stuff Mario Batali put his name on is not bad for half the price. There are countless stories to be found on the web about people who bought $40 enameled cast iron pots and found chips in the enamel right out of the box. Kill yourself now, you hopeless tard.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

No, crock pot food is OK, but not the same as cooked on stove or oven in ANY type of pot.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting the name brand Le Creuset. I might go with the Cuisinart brand though, thanks mvs. Or check out Mario's first. I won't go with a cheapo one, no way. Heard the stories........

I'm also picky about colors. I don't like red pots. Or green. And that's what seems to be on sale. I want white, black or blue. (no jokes about the black and blue, please.)

:)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Goober McTuber wrote:If you knew anything about the subject you are addressing, well, that would be a fucking first. The reason some of that enameled cast iron is so Goddamned expensive is due to the quality of the enamel. I didn't go with the French job, but the stuff Mario Batali put his name on is not bad for half the price. There are countless stories to be found on the web about people who bought $40 enameled cast iron pots and found chips in the enamel right out of the box. Kill yourself now, you hopeless tard.
So, I'm a dumbass for ridiculing people for spending way too much on a pot? Then you admit to buying a half price one?

And lets say one does buy a 40 dollar one from a store. Look at the fukking thing first. Is it chipped? Grab another. And if it is chipped, will it cook any differently?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote: So, I'm a dumbass for ridiculing people for spending way too much on a pot?
No, you're just a dumbass. Period.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Goober McTuber wrote:
smackaholic wrote: So, I'm a dumbass for ridiculing people for spending way too much on a pot?
Ohhh, good one. Nice job KYOA, gramps.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:
So, I'm a dumbass for ridiculing people for spending way too much on a pot? Then you admit to buying a half price one?
Way too much is a relative description. If I can afford $30 or $40 more for something that will not only function well but look good and last a lifetime, then I didn't spend way too much.

In your case, you'd be spending next month's food budget to buy the stuff, you'd probably would never use it, it would be totally out of place next to your $30 painted on teflon cookware set and toaster oven, and you'd prolly ruin it by putting it under your dripping ceiling during the next rainstorm. So, yes, you'd be spending way too much.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
smackaholic wrote:
Way too much is a relative description. If I can afford $30 or $40 more for something that will not only function well but look good and last a lifetime, then I didn't spend way too much.

In your case, you'd be spending next month's food budget to buy the stuff, you'd probably would never use it, it would be totally out of place next to your $30 painted on teflon cookware set and toaster oven, and you'd prolly ruin it by putting it under your dripping ceiling during the next rainstorm. So, yes, you'd be spending way too much.
:lol: :lol:

better to spend that extra jack on a lawn mower that stands up to being left outside all summer, right?

if i'm not mistaken, the lecruset was around 300, wasn't it? goobs said he has one that was plenty good enough at half price. so more like 150 bucks difference.

just for the hell of it, i dug out the OL's cast iron pot. it is orange and yes, around the outside of the handles, it is thoroughly chipped. didn't bother to look inside which is were chipping would affect actual performance. i think she picked it up at a tag sale for 2 bucks, but not sure. anyhoo, shit coming out of it is still damn tasty. prolly not as tasty as what comes out of you gourmet fags pots, but that has a lot more to do with the cooker than the cookery.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Not sure how much the large dutch oven was, but the OL picked one up at the factory outlet and she said it was marked down by about 50%, so it prolly cost too much - but not way too much.

I'll let you know if it was worth it after the osso bucco I'll be fixing in it tonight.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The wife gave me a 7 liter casserole (dutch oven) and a 12 inch cast iron skillet. I was thinking about trading in the skillet for a french (oval) oven but instead I used the skillet last night for browning the veal shanks, and the casserole for braising them in the oven. Glad I kept the skillet, because it's awesome. Nice even heat for browning, but the most impressive thing was how flat the bottom is. We have a ceramic glass top electric stove and if a pan isn't perfectly flat it tends to rock back and forth depending on where the weight of the contents is. Areas that aren't in contact with the burner get less heat. This new skillet was rock solid.

Anyhow, this was the best osso bucco yet to come from my kitchen.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I know what you mean about those damn glass top ranges. I have an old cast iron pan that used to sit fairly well on the stove, till someone got stupid and left it sitting on a hot burner empty too long and warped the fuggen thing. wish i was on the CNG line, i'd switch over in a second. have actually contemplated going with a propane, but, it is kinda pricey.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We have propane for water heat, space heating and the gas clothes dryer. We're now paying something like $3.60/gallon. Gas stoves are nice, but I'd have to run a new line to the kitchen and use even more propane.

Also the pool heater is hooked up but I never use it. Heated the spa with propane a few times when we first installed it, and I learned my lesson right quick next time the propane bill came.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

all this propane and propane accessories talk has me thinking this shithole doesn't have a hank hill troll. or does it? can't find my spreadsheet. prolly buried under an extension cord.

last summer i topped off the RV tank and seem to remember paying a ridiculously low price or around 2.25 or so. could that be right?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yours is probably subsidized.

Gub'mint 'pane.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Ohhh, good one. Nice job KYOA, gramps.
I don't think you really understand the concept of KYOA. If you did, you'd log off of here permanently.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I understand it perfectly. A text book example would be....

saying yer a dumbfukk for thinking spending 300 bones on a pot is a waste of money

and then say you went with a 150 buck model.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Anyhow, this was the best osso bucco yet to come from my kitchen.
Told ya. They cook like a dream.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:I understand it perfectly. A text book example would be....

saying yer a dumbfukk for thinking spending 300 bones on a pot is a waste of money

and then say you went with a 150 buck model.
Yes, a 50% savings is always a waste of money, you fucking moron. BTW, it's pretty easy to find for $120.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

you continue to prove my original point, you senile old fukk. that point being that spending 300 bones on a pot is kinda silly when perfectly acceptable pots are available at less than half that.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Goobs is trying to say don't buy the $50 version. I have to agree with that. Buy the $120 or over. You get what you pay for.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

trev wrote:Goobs is trying to say don't buy the $50 version. I have to agree with that. Buy the $120 or over. You get what you pay for.
nah, what he is doing is his usual you're a moron ankle biting shtick.

i never said buy the cheapest thing you can find. i simply said if you pay full retail for lecruset, you are a dumbass or maybe just 88 type rich.

just went and looked at the OL's pot again. the lid says rachael ray, so i guess it's of the 50 dollar variety. whatever. knowing her, she likely found it at a yard sale or good will store for 3 dollars. the handle is chipped, but, inside it looks fine and i suspect stuff out of it tastes about the same as it would out of a 300 dollar lecruset.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

She scored if she found a pot like that for $3. I'm still looking for Le Creuset type pot. They aren't that easy to find in white, black or blue.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

It's the type in that it's cast iron enamel. i am certain it doesn't have the same quality enamel though. Oh fukking well. I've had plenty of stuff out of it and haven't gotten a chunk of enamel yet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:She scored if she found a pot like that for $3. I'm still looking for Le Creuset type pot. They aren't that easy to find in white, black or blue.
You might want to consider ordering from an online source. Cuisanart only comes in red and blue. Le Creuset has a full range of colors but you will pay out the ass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
trev wrote:Goobs is trying to say don't buy the $50 version. I have to agree with that. Buy the $120 or over. You get what you pay for.
nah, what he is doing is his usual you're a moron ankle biting shtick.
No, trev pretty much nailed it. You got one part right, though. You are a moron.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Goober McTuber wrote:No, trev pretty much nailed it. You got one part right, though. You are a moron.
I wonder what is more detrimental to reading comprehension, being older than dirt or a huge vodka fan?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Overstock.com has the Cuisinart in blue. $87 for the 5 1/2 quart, $110 for the 7 quart.

What size would you get?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:Overstock.com has the Cuisinart in blue. $87 for the 5 1/2 quart, $110 for the 7 quart.

What size would you get?
I think it depends on what you plan to use it for.

I got the 7 liter (7.25 qt) Le Crueset, which is 11 inches across. It was just large enough to take the 5 pieces of osso bucco that I fixed last week. The 5 quart probably would have been too small. The large one is pretty heavy though. If you're making smaller meals the 5 quart might be easier to handle.

My next purchase will probably be the 5 quart oval French oven, which would serve dual purposes of having a smaller volume pot plus be perfect for braising a pork loin roast without having too much space around the sides.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I would only need the 7 quart on occassion. Not sure I want to lug it around on daily basis. I thiink I will get the 5.5 for now.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:Overstock.com has the Cuisinart in blue. $87 for the 5 1/2 quart, $110 for the 7 quart.

What size would you get?
The one that gets the most work is my 3 qt round. It's my go to sauce pan. I have a five quart oval that I use occasionally. As Mikey said, it's great for pork loin roasts. For anything bigger, I have a Graniteware roaster.

I suppose it depends on how many people there are in your FUCKING FAMILY. I generally cook for three.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

just did a roast in the cheapo rachel ray bucket.

actually, i planned to, but, after searing the roast i found that all the veggie that were 'sposed to join it wouldn't fit, so it went into a somewhat larger stainless steel pot.

it came out fine, although i really wish i put more 'shrooms and taters in it.

i have a question about fancy cast iron pots in general.

if you are cooking in the oven, what is the difference? i understand the nice even heating characteristics of cast iron and how that matters on the stove top, but, it seems like in an oven, the heating surface would be pretty even in other types of pots. is it just that you can use the same pot for surface searing and roasting in the oven?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:No, trev pretty much nailed it. You got one part right, though. You are a moron.
I wonder what is more detrimental to reading comprehension, being older than dirt or a huge vodka fan?
Being just flat out stupid seems to work for you.