missjo's Mushroom risotto

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

missjo's Mushroom risotto

Post by missjo »

I like to make a big batch of this up at the beginning of the working week & it reheats well for dinner for around 3 days

2 litres good vegetable stock - heated
500g aborio rice
10 large field mushrooms - cut into chunks
2 large brown onions - largish dice
5 cloves of garlic (yes I Looove garlic) - finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly cracked pepper medley (you can use just black but I like the flavour the medley peppercorn mix provides & yes it sounds like a lot of pepper but believe me it works)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegeta
bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
good quality extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
225g soft goats cheese (optional)

In a large hot pan put in a generous splash of EVOO
then sauté the onions & garlic till onions almost clear then add mushroom & cook till mushrooms are soft & darken
add rice & sauté for about 5 min & add hot stock a ladle full at a time stirring constantly till absorbed into rice
you also add salt, pepper & vegeta during this process
once absorbed toss through roughly chopped parsley & crumbled goats cheese
stirring till cheese has fully melted through & serve

be warned you will go back for seconds! :p
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: missjo's Mushroom risotto

Post by smackaholic »

sounds tasty.

might be worth translating that gibberish into real cooking measurements if you tossed in some sort of dead animal flesh. I would go with chicken. i would also add some peas.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

smackaholic wrote:sounds tasty.

might be worth translating that gibberish into real cooking measurements if you tossed in some sort of dead animal flesh. I would go with chicken. i would also add some peas.
500g is roughly one pound. A liter is slightly larger than a quart. Actually, peas are very often served with a mushroom risotto.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

missjo wrote:be warned you will go back for seconds! :p
What is vegeta?

I've got a tip you might like to try if you enjoy mushrooms. Use mushroom liquor in place of a portion of broth.

Bring 5 cups water to a simmer then remove from heat and add 2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Strain and filter the liquor and reserve the mushrooms for the risotto. It adds a very intense mushroom flavor. Use as much or as little of it as you like.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

mvscal wrote:
What is vegeta?

I've got a tip you might like to try if you enjoy mushrooms. Use mushroom liquor in place of a portion of broth.

Bring 5 cups water to a simmer then remove from heat and add 2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Strain and filter the liquor and reserve the mushrooms for the risotto. It adds a very intense mushroom flavor. Use as much or as little of it as you like.
Sounds like a good idea m

Vegeta is a slavic style stock powder which gives soups, stews & risotto's a nice flavour boost

You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

No GMO, that's funny, Vegeta was pure MSG from Yugoslavia in Canada before laws were passed. The risotto tastes great, but you've got to drink a litre of water afterwards :shock:
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dr_Phibes wrote:No GMO, that's funny, Vegeta was pure MSG from Yugoslavia in Canada before laws were passed.
No, it wasn't. According to the product information I read, it was developed in 1959 and is mostly salt with a blend of dehydrated vegetables. It is only 10 - 15% MSG (which is not a genetically modified organism).

Are you one of those MSG woo woos?

:lol:
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Not a clue what the levels are for export, a friend of the family used to get it sent over because she missed the taste and passed it around because it 'made everything so good'. Put it in anything and you've got to drink a bucket of water, it's evil in a can :brad:
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Not a clue what the levels are for export, a friend of the family used to get it sent over because she missed the taste and passed it around because it 'made everything so good'. Put it in anything and you've got to drink a bucket of water, it's evil in a can :brad:

Plus, when that stuff hits your pores, you stink like a china-man for days.

:o
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Never trust an antipode, I'll bet the cats all start disappearing in the neighbourhood.
How can you patent an unadulterated, natural product, especially from a collapsed eastern bloc country with the strictest of regulations?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

It's the blend. You think Coke hasn't patented its formula? Or V8 juice?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sounds sort of like Maggi sauce.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Sounds sort of like Maggi sauce.
Not really. Vegeta sounds more like a type of season salt. It looks like they have it on Amazon, so I might have to order some. I tend to get pretty obsessive about collecting spices and seasonings. I think I can replicate the spice sets of most major ethnic cuisines without making a special trip.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

It's not worth grabbing your yoga mat and taking over the local park, but why would you consciously put it in your food when you can avoid it? You can't escape it otherwise, use Parmesan or tomato juice if you want a free glutamate. The non-industry tests run on animals are frightening.
When 50% of your tin label is a not guilty plea, I'd walk away from it. 'Pleased to meet you, I'm Bob and I've never committed the following'.

But then, you're an imperialist jerk - order lots and lots of Vegeta please mv it's so delicious you'll love it to bits.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dr_Phibes wrote:but why would you consciously put it in your food when you can avoid it? You can't escape it otherwise.
Because it tastes good? It's not like I have a shaker of Accent on the shelf, but if a blend has some MSG, I'm not going to turn my nose up at it if it's good.

Do you just not eat Chinese food at all?
Dr_Phibes wrote:The non-industry tests run on animals are frightening.
You bet. They are designed to be "frightening." Those tests have demonstrated that MSG is indeed a neurotoxin...when injected directly into the brains...of rats. Fortunately, we aren't rats and we don't inject huge quantities of MSG directly into our brains.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Why even use MSG when you can use hydrolyzed vegetable protein instead, and get the same results?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

There are definitely people who don't react well to MSG. Small minority, though.

There's also "research" that claims high-fructose corn syrup is some evil form of sugar. None of the proponents of this "theory" have ever passed a physiology class, apparently.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:There are definitely people who don't react well to MSG. Small minority, though.

There's also "research" that claims high-fructose corn syrup is some evil form of sugar. None of the proponents of this "theory" have ever passed a physiology class, apparently.
Prolly no more "evil" than regular refined sugar, which is plenty evil on its own. Starting to see some products on the grocery store shelves prominently proclaiming that they are MADE WITH REAL SUGAR!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't get why they put any sweetener at all in some products. Applesauce for example.

Also, fructose apparently has a lower glycemic index than sucrose (table sugar).

Oh yeah, and the newest fad - agave syrup. All you natural food vegans can use it instead of sugar or honey for a really healthy sweetness rush. Only it's just a combination of fructose and glucose. Personally I think they should save all the agave for tequila.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Oh yeah, and the newest fad - agave syrup. All you natural food vegans can use it instead of sugar or honey for a really healthy sweetness rush. Only it's just a combination of fructose and glucose.
As is table sugar, unprocessed sugar, HFCS, honey, and just about everything else used as a sweetener.

And your body breaks it all down through the exact same process.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Table sugar is sucrose.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Only it's just a combination of fructose and glucose
Mikey wrote:Table sugar is sucrose.

Congrats on the :facepalm:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:Only it's just a combination of fructose and glucose
Mikey wrote:Table sugar is sucrose.

Congrats on the :facepalm:
Congrats on your reading comprehension
Mikey wrote:Oh yeah, and the newest fad - agave syrup... it's just a combination of fructose and glucose.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Congrats on your reading comprehension
Congrats on your knowledge of organic chemistry.
Mikey wrote:it's just a combination of fructose and glucose.
What is sucrose again?

I'll give you a hint -- it's fructose and glucose with an ether bond, forming a disaccharide .
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OK, agave syrup is a mixture of glucose and fructose, not a molecule made up of part glucose and part sucrose. Not the same thing as table sugar.

By your definition, salt would be a combination of sodium and chlorine. Not many people would describe it that way - it's sodium chloride.

I guess it depends on your definition of "combination". Table sugar is sucrose, not glucose and fructose.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

mvscal wrote: Do you just not eat Chinese food at all?
By the shovelful, it's delicious, but I could stand it being just a little less delicious.
They are designed to be "frightening." Those tests have demonstrated that MSG is indeed a neurotoxin...when injected directly into the brains...of rats. Fortunately, we aren't rats and we don't inject huge quantities of MSG directly into our brains.
Come off it, it's a little more sophisticated than that, they've used rabbits, mice, rats, beagles, monkeys etc. Posting a link to make a point is shitty, but you haven't got to have a background in the subject for your bullshit detector to start going off. There are some decent sum-ups of study vs counter-study out there for a layman.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Proof_Br ... s_CNS.html
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Posting a link to make a point is shitty....

"FUCK YOU!!!!"
:x

Sincerely, 88
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.