Iced tea

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Iced tea

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I think iced tea might be the greatest non-alcoholic drink on earth. I pretty much always have one of those 52-oz. QT cups filled with iced tea with me wherever I go. I know some people think it's bland, but I've just always loved iced tea since I was a little kid. Unsweetened, of course. I can take or leave the lemon slice.

It's just the perfect drink, really. Sweetened and/or carbonated drinks can be enjoyable in small doses, but they're not particularly quenching. Coffee is OK in the morning, but again, not a real thirst-quencher, and I start to feel cracked-out after much more than two cups. Water just gets boring after a while. Tea, on the other hand, has zero calories, quenches your thirst, and provides enough caffeine to keep you going throughout the day without making you feel like a twitchy basehead by 10:30 am. I brew it myself and go through a gallon of iced tea every 2-3 days.

I've always enjoyed the fruit-flavored unsweetened iced tea that you can sometimes find in restaurants, but it's next-to-impossible to find something like that to brew at home. I did a little experimenting and mixing & matching and finally came up with a "recipe" that I like. Others have also complimented me on my tea, so I figured I'd share it with you guys. Let me know what you think:

Ingredients:
1 gallon of water (Depending on where you live, it's probably worth it to spring for RO or purified water. Colorado tap water is excellent, but I've dumped a full gallon of tea down the drain that I tried to make with Arizona tap water)
1 gallon-size or 3 family-size teabags of black tea (I found the gallon-size bags at Sam's Club. I buy Lipton, but Nestea and Tetley are both good too)
1 individual-size teabag of Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger herbal tea (you can substitute Raspberry Zinger if you prefer)

Bring water to a boil in a large covered pot. Remove lid. Add tea bags. Use a spoon to dunk them a few times. Replace lid loosely on pot and allow to steep. Remove teabags and pour into a pitcher. Pour over ice and enjoy.

I usually let it steep for a few hours, until it cools down to close to room temperature. Putting the lid on loosely, leaving just a small crack for steam to escape, helps avoid losing a lot of your brew to steam while allowing it to cool much faster than if the pot was completely covered. You could always make sun tea if you prefer, but I'm just impatient. I'm surprised at how much "zing" you can get out of just one bag of the Celestial Seasonings tea. When I first tried this recipe, I used three bags and it was super-tart. Even two is pretty tart, but one seems to provide the perfect subtle fruitiness.
"Keys, woman!"
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Iced tea

Post by smackaholic »

Big fan of sun tea here. And sorry, but lemon slices, the more the better are mandatory. Sugar is optional. In the winter, I switch it over to hot tea with honey. It does not cure colds, but, it makes them a little more tolerable.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mike, do you notice a caffeine buzz when you drink your homemade iced tea?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Screw_Michigan wrote:Mike, do you notice a caffeine buzz when you drink your homemade iced tea?
Nothing noticeable. Like I said, 2+ cups of coffee will get me pretty jittery, but I don't notice anything from the iced tea. I'm guessing if I just dropped it cold turkey, I might be kinda cranky, but no buzz to speak of. I think my ever-present big-ass cup works more like a steady IV drip...
"Keys, woman!"
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Once in a while when I'm out to eat I treat myself to an Arnold Palmer.

But otherwise, rack unsweetened iced tea.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I pretty much always have one of those 52-oz. QT cups filled with iced tea with me wherever I go.
QT as in Quik Trip? Didn't realize they had them outside of the midwest. I freaking love QT and will drive out of my way to get there... where I will also fill my 52 oz. QT jug with crushed ice and unsweetened freshly brewed Lipton tea.

Used to brew my tea at home but have gotten lazy and just buy gallon jugs of Red Diamond at the grocery store. 2 per week.

I've found that many people who drink both coffee and tea will put sugar in one but not the other. I load my coffee with cream and sugar but like my tea straight up. And I know people who do the opposite.

I very seldom drink carbonated beverages unless it's a Jack and Coke.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

smackaholic wrote:Big fan of sun tea here. And sorry, but lemon slices, the more the better are mandatory. Sugar is optional. In the winter, I switch it over to hot tea with honey. It does not cure colds, but, it makes them a little more tolerable.
Try adding a bag or two of Earl Grey tea into the mix. Oil of bergamot gives it a nice citrusy kick.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Big fan of sun tea here. And sorry, but lemon slices, the more the better are mandatory. Sugar is optional. In the winter, I switch it over to hot tea with honey. It does not cure colds, but, it makes them a little more tolerable.
Try adding a bag or two of Earl Grey tea into the mix. Oil of bergamot gives it a nice citrusy kick.
I've been known to use a bag or two of Constant Comment.

I'm not supposed to drink Earl Grey, believe it or not, because bergamot along with grapefruit has a potentially dangerous reaction with the enzymes that break down Lipitor.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mr. Coffee, Hamilton Beach and others produce iced tea makers. If you drink a lot of iced tea, they're kind of handy and relatively cheap. My parents bought me one when they were visiting many summers ago. Pour in the water, put tea bags in the basket, fill pitcher with ice to the designated level, and five minutes later you have a pitcher of iced tea.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

War Wagon wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I pretty much always have one of those 52-oz. QT cups filled with iced tea with me wherever I go.
QT as in Quik Trip? Didn't realize they had them outside of the midwest. I freaking love QT and will drive out of my way to get there... where I will also fill my 52 oz. QT jug with crushed ice and unsweetened freshly brewed Lipton tea.
Yep. QuikTrip is the shit. Pretty much the only convenience store I've found that actually brews their iced tea. That bag-in-the-box fountain iced tea is just fucking nasty.

Plus, I love how every QT has the exact same layout. I guarantee if I went into a QT in Missouri for the first time, I'd know exactly where to find everything. If I was the investing type, I'd buy stock in that company. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a Circle K and I'm the only person in the store. Whenever I go to QT, there's always a line at the counter.
"Keys, woman!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Yep, and you know that when you go into a QT it's going to be clean, well stocked, and reasonable priced, at least for the items you go to a convenience store for. Not only would I buy stock in that company, I'd consider getting a part time job there if I ever needed one.

oh, and their coffee is as good or better than you'll get anywhere and always fresh.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Since this thread got bumped, it's probably worth noting (for Wags' sake) that QT now carries fresh-brewed black mango iced tea, both sweetened and unsweetened. The unsweetened is fucking dope...
"Keys, woman!"
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

No fruit sweetened tea is ok for me. Tastes like unsweetened koolaid. These days besides green and black tea, I'm liking English tea. All iced of course.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Oh, come on Trev. Everyone knows that your first choice would be Long Island Iced Tea. By the pitcher.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Since this thread got bumped, it's probably worth noting (for Wags' sake) that QT now carries fresh-brewed black mango iced tea, both sweetened and unsweetened. The unsweetened is fucking dope...
yeah, I've seen that and have thought about trying it but haven't had the gumption yet. I'm pretty set in my ways but based on your recommendation, next time I'm going all in.