ALDS: Yankees vs. Tigers

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: ALDS: Yankees vs. Tigers

Post by Van »

Hmmm, maybe the Curse of YaFJ is alive and well after all. How else can AJ Burnett taking a solid lead into the sixth inning of a close-out game be explained?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote:Hmmm, maybe the Curse of YaFJ is alive and well after all. How else can AJ Burnett taking a solid lead into the sixth inning of a close-out game be explained?
chased by a two-out single?

tigers seem to be either 15 for 12 wisp every game or 1 for 74.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

M Club, no doubt. Girardi going to the immediate hook there speaks volumes to his lack of confidence in Slingblade.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

We they've wanted to lose in this series, they LOSE.

It's all on Mr. Fister on Thursday back at THE Stadium...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:It's not worth the effort. Not even Dinsdale believes what he typed.

So the pitch-tracker lied?

The slo-mo lied?

The catcher dug it out of the dirt. His glove was inverted.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Dinsdale wrote: So the pitch-tracker lied?

The slo-mo lied?

The catcher dug it out of the dirt. His glove was inverted.
no, just you.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It was a close call. Regardless, Jeter simply can't take that pitch, not with two strikes and the game on the line. Even his body language in that second shot reflects this.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

eh, close call, whatever. i'm just pointing dins going M2 on reality with his "he had to dig a pitch out of the dirt even though it was never less than six inches from the ground" make-believe world.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Whine all you want... it was a fucking ball... EOS.

What a whiney bunch Tigger fans are... it didn't æfect the outcome of the game, did it?

Remember, this started with someone (not me) saying that Verlander was getting some extra love from the ump.

Tiggerfans' response?

B-B-B-B-B-but... JETER GOT AWAY WITH NOT SWINGING AT A BALL!!!!!!

Get a grip.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

who's gripping? there's only one person in this thread making up things wholesale. takes a special man to lose an argument he started with himself.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bitching about the strike zone is weak sauce...especially if they call it both ways. If an ump has a bad strike zone, if he calls it for both teams, no one should complain because he's at least consistent. I can't speak for the strike zone or that particular on Monday...I was sitting 400+ feet away from the dish. I could barely make out whether it's between the knees and numbers.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Shoalzie, C.C. simply wasn't getting the calls that Verlander kept receiving, and it reached the point of blatancy. Sure, like Mgo said, the Yanks have also enjoyed numerous bouts of home-cooking from the umps, but in this instance they were victimized by it. This was not a case of the ump calling it the same both ways. Not at all.

Whatever. The Yanks weren't able to overcome it, and that was that. Fortunately for them, YaFJ's curse still looms like a black cloud over Detroit.

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:Whine all you want... it was a fucking ball... EOS.

What a whiney bunch Tigger fans are... it didn't æfect the outcome of the game, did it?

Remember, this started with someone (not me) saying that Verlander was getting some extra love from the ump.

Tiggerfans' response?

B-B-B-B-B-but... JETER GOT AWAY WITH NOT SWINGING AT A BALL!!!!!!

Get a grip.
Yes, that was exactly my response. And the strike zone isn't a subjective thing at all, where the benefit of doubt is given to the better/more popular player the vast majority of time.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

For a pitcher, they find out early on what pitches they'll get and which ones the umps are going to give them. I know last night Porcello was getting the high strike called and I can remember one batter Burnett worked against where he was nailing the bottom left of the strike zone...put three straight pitches in the exact spot but all were called balls. Some umps will call the high strike more than others, some will expand the width of the zone or not give a pitcher the inside of the plate and some will call the low strikes. It looked like last night, it was elevated strike zone but it was fair. I'd have to go back and watch the strikes were on Monday. All I know is Verlander would get them to chase high fastballs and probably got at least half of his strikeouts swinging.
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Post by Kansas City Kid »

The Tegroes were lucky to get this far and since they couldn't close it out against that mongoloid Burnett it is safe for Leyland and the rest of those shines to make plans to join the looting in Murder City starting tomorrow night.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shoalzie wrote:THE Stadium...
Why the fuck do you keep calling it that? Did the Yankees move to Columbus?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:Remember, this started with someone (not me) saying that Verlander was getting some extra love from the ump.
Yeah, so why is your issue with the Tiger fans?

Idiot.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Remember, this started with someone (not me) saying that Verlander was getting some extra love from the ump.
Yeah, so why is your issue with the Tiger fans?

Idiot.
I'd say the "idiot" is the one who can't figure this out.

Vannie said the zone wasn't even...

And the Tiggerfan meltage flowed like fucking whine.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Got it. One is merely an "observation," the other is melting. But of course! :lol:

I just love that you have zero qualms with the long-winded instigator, but a short & simple rebuttal has got you up in arms. Gee, I wonder why?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:a short & simple rebuttal

Oh, ohhhhhhhkay.

Stick with that story.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Well, it was intended to be short and simple, but all that whining from the other side prompted more responses. See how it works both ways?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Dinsdale wrote: I'd say the "idiot" is the one who can't figure this out.

Vannie said the zone wasn't even...

And the Tiggerfan meltage flowed like fucking whine.
pretty difficult when you all you have to do is go back through the conversation to see if you're (a) full of shit or (b) full of shit. didn't realize this counted as a melt:
Killian wrote:Jesus Christ.
Killian wrote:And no one but Jeter would have gotten that 1-2 pitch.
and that in response to actual whining. any subsequent mention of the strike zone was in direct response to your blatant lying. in the dirt. :meds: didn't realize fatty mcbuttspray had the password to your account.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'm still looking for anything I've posted in this thread that could even remotely be characterized as "long-winded."

:?

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Shoalzie, what's your prediction for tonight's game?

I have to like New York's chances with Nova pitching at home.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm a little gun shy after seeing them beat up Fister in Game 1 and Nova kept the Tigers bats in check. I liked this matchup before the series but seeing that game, I'm nervous about this one. They blew their best shot at finishing this series on Tuesday. Fister has been able to win tough road games in Tampa and Arlington but a deciding game in a playoff series in Yankee Stadium is a different story. Leyland needs to have a quick hook if he repeats what he did later in his start on Saturday night and that was get two quick strikes but not put them away and start a conga line on the base path. The Yankees can score in bunches...they've got to avoid the big inning and allow them to get momentum rolling. For the Tigers, they keep shuffling their order but they really only need to change their approach at the plate. Their bats can match the Yankee bats if they avoid swinging away on the first or second pitch. Burnett was able to gain confidence because the Tigers hitters didn't make him work the same way the Yankees bats made Porcello work.

It pains me to say it but I'll say Yankees take it 5-2...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yep, I fear you'll be getting a visit from this guy tonight...

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Skeletor walking to the mound is one of the most intimidating sights in baseball.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Yeah, it's been odd to not see him in this series. He threw in Game 1 but I turned the game off by then. He's the absolute opposite of Valverde. Valverde can close games but he's a damn circus. Rivera is usually all business and gets it done without drama. But when he blows a game, it's ugly...other than the dying quail in Game 7 against Arizona. I don't want to see a 2-run Yankee lead in the top of the 9th to awaken him from his slumber. Keep his ass in bullpen and hopefully I get to endure another roller coaster ride of a 9th from Papa Grande.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dins wrote:Skeletor walking to the mound is one of the most intimidating sights in baseball.
It's probably the best thing baseball has going for itself these days. In a sports world mostly filled with "Look at meeeeee!" cunts, is there anything better than the pure class that has always been Mariano Rivera?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:He's the absolute opposite of Valverde.
You mean he has class, keeps his mouth shut, and has had a HoF career?

I'll agree with that.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:Yeah, it's been odd to not see him in this series. He threw in Game 1 but I turned the game off by then. He's the absolute opposite of Valverde. Valverde can close games but he's a damn circus. Rivera is usually all business and gets it done without drama. But when he blows a game, it's ugly...other than the dying quail in Game 7 against Arizona. I don't want to see a 2-run Yankee lead in the top of the 9th to awaken him from his slumber. Keep his ass in bullpen and hopefully I get to endure another roller coaster ride of a 9th from Papa Grande.
Good grief, the man is like 760-0 in save opportunities this year. What more can you ask for?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Exactly. While nothing is absolute, Mariano Rivera taking the ball during the postseason with a lead in the 9th is about as much of a lock as exists in sports.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I see what you did there. Clever.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He's not Todd Jones or Fernando Rodney but he's also not Mariano Rivera when it comes down to it. Watch those fuckin' MLB promo ads of Jeter, Brosius, Boone, Bucky Dent...the Yankees are known for the dramatic and I'm picturing a 1-run lead tonight with Cano up and 2 on and puts one in the upper tank in right field. He's not going to B.K. Kim and completely flame out but he plays with fire a little too much. His ERA is 9.00 in this series. This game is going to be a nail-biter if the Tigers win it and I might have to turn the TV off if he comes on in the 9th. I was gripping on Monday night standing in that stadium when he struggled to finish off Game 3. This is different than closing a game at Progressive Field in July.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I see what you did there. Clever.
:)

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:He's the absolute opposite of Valverde.
You mean he has class, keeps his mouth shut, and has had a HoF career?

I'll agree with that.

His little dance is cute when converts his saves but if he blows one tonight, so help me...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

God doesn't dance. He acts like he's been there before.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:He's not Todd Jones or Fernando Rodney but he's also not Mariano Rivera when it comes down to it. Watch those fuckin' MLB promo ads of Jeter, Brosius, Boone, Bucky Dent...the Yankees are known for the dramatic and I'm picturing a 1-run lead tonight with Cano up and 2 on and puts one in the upper tank in right field. He's not going to B.K. Kim and completely flame out but he plays with fire a little too much. His ERA is 9.00 in this series. This game is going to be a nail-biter if the Tigers win it and I might have to turn the TV off if he comes on in the 9th. I was gripping on Monday night standing in that stadium when he struggled to finish off Game 3. This is different than closing a game at Progressive Field in July.
Just get a job with ESPN and be done with it. Good lord.

BTW, What is up with all you west coast douchers rooting for the Skanks?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I only wish he was a starter/middle reliever in the NL...

let's see him do his stupid fucking dance then.

He could change his name to Papa Earhole.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

In spite of the nerves, this shit is fun. I don't get to enjoy this every year. In '06, they were a surprise when they ripped the Yanks a new one, they won the pennant in dramatic fashion but it was also a sweep and they looked so clueless in the World Series...it almost felt like it never happened. For my team to get to play a deciding game in a series against the hated Yankees, I'm soaking this in. It took 5 years to get back to October...you have to enjoy this as a TigerFan.