ALDS: Yankees vs. Tigers

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

ALDS: Yankees vs. Tigers

Post by Shoalzie »

Verlander-Sabathia in Game 1 and Fister-Nova in Game 2...Scherzer and Porcello (likely) to go in Detroit for the Tigers. The big guns are going have to perform on the biggest stage. Verlander was a rookie on the '06 team and Fister is getting his first sniff at the postseason. He had a brilliant September...5-0 with an 0.53 ERA. With 5-game series, the goal is to split on the road to give yourself shot at winning it at home. Verlander had a great year but I'm actually going to say its far from a mismatch with Sabathia given the postseason experience. He's 4-1 in 5 starts in the division round. Both teams are top heavy in the rotation...I wouldn't want to put the fate of the season the shoulders of Scherzer and Porcello so I do hope the Tigers can at least take one in the Bronx. Both have strong lineups and very good bullpens. If either team has a lead through 7 innings, it's hard to beat them. I think it's a very even matchup but I love having the best pitcher of 2011 on the Tigers' side and they've got the best middle of the order this year...Cabrera and Martinez are deadly with men on base. I'll say this one goes the distance...Tigers in 5 with Verlander coming up big with two wins in Yankee Stadium.
M Club
el capitán

Re: ALDS: Yankees vs. Tigers

Post by M Club »

i'm actually happy to get the yankees in the divisional series. easier to take three than four, especially with verlander going twice. just hope the marlboro man doesn't see any need to "rest" his best lineup even though i know inge will get to start six games of a five-game series.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Betemit really swung the bat well in these final few days after coming back from injury but he's not very good with the glove. It's been Leyland's strategy to play Inge against lefties and with Sabathia going in Game 1, I can see him starting the opening game at third...hopefully hitting 9th. Betemit would start against Nova in Game 2. He's .303 against righties versus .236 against lefties. Inge only .245 against lefties but he's .170 against righties so that's why he's been used in a limited role.

The other interesting positions on the field will be 2nd and right field. Santiago is probably the best glove at second and hasn't been half bad with the bat either. In right, there's Ordonez, Dirks and Kelly and I guess you can even throw in Raburn. I'm sure Leyland will go by who's starting. I'm guessing Ordonez starts in Game 1 against a lefty but he leaves late for defensive replacement.

Love matchup of the heart of orders...Granderson-Teixeira-Rodriguez-Cano against Young-Cabrera-Martinez-Avila-Peralta.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MLB.com breaks down the matchup position by position...
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/arti ... t&c_id=det

The starting pitching 1-4 is definitely advantage Tigers. If the Tigers take either or both games in New York, that thing isn't going to back for a Game 5 with their fate in the hands of Garcia and Burnett. I'm glad things shook out the way they did with rotation...I feel much better about Scherzer and Porcell pitching in Detroit than in Yankee Stadium. They throw their aces in the first two in the perceived tougher venue. My only fear with Verlander is his ability or inability to keep guys in the yard. He had the great year but he's prone to the long ball and the Yanks have plenty of guys that can punish him and Yankee Stadium is more home run friendly. Luckily, probably 3/4 of those home runs this year were solo shots because he doesn't give up a lot of baserunners.

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this but I wouldn't give the Yankees the outright edge at closer given the year Valverde had. Rivera is the greatest closer and postseason closer of all time but you can't say he's that far ahead. I won't say push at the position but I'll say whoever has a lead late in a game, I like their chances. If you're hoping for a late inning rally, this might not be the series to watch.

The benches are both kinda weak. On names alone, sure the Yankees win...Jones and Chavez at one time were quality players. The Tigers bench is really about versatility and those guys played a big role to get them here. With this being a short series, would Leyland opt include a backup catcher on the roster? Martinez will not catch in the playoffs given his health. Avila should be rested enough to be able to play every game but he's take a beating. Kelly and Inge can probably fill in if worse come to worst. Leyland is often criticized for how he handles his bench and for how much playing time he gives his backups but at this point in the year, I can't look at any of the guys on this team and not know what they'd offer if they have to play.

The coaching staffs are a push in my book...both guys with championship experience. Both guys are generally on the ball but both are prone to doing something odd or outright dumb. I don't want Leyland to get too bogged down on matchups late in games and if either Fister or Verlander are cruising through the 7th inning, don't be so quick to go to the bullpen if the starters are in control. The Tigers should be able to get 7 out of both guys in their starts...the bullpen should be fairly well-preserved when they'll really need them in the games in Detroit.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

M Club wrote:just hope the marlboro man doesn't see any need to "rest" his best lineup even though i know inge will get to start six games of a five-game series.
The thought process will be to rest them now so they can be healthy for the off season and get ready for next year.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

have to keep singlio sharp in case you need him to pinch hit for betemit or anyone else not named inge.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What a difference a little precip will make...Game 1 starters because become Game 3 starters and the aces are probably not going to be available for Game 5. The key guys in this series now become the #2 men in the rotation...Fister and Nova throw in what remains of Game 1 and are probably now in line to throw Game 5 unless Leyland or Girardi consider throwing someone else in the deciding game next Thursday or would Girardi do something wacky and throw Sabathia on Monday and Thursday. Verlander had an elevated pitch count in one inning and my concern would've been if he can't throw strike 1 and he's pitching behind in counts most of the time and like a typical Yankee lineup would work the count and force teams to go to the bullpen earlier. On the pace he was on, Verlander might've only gone 6 innings instead of 7 or 8 as I hoped.

I'm a little more concerned with the idea of having Scherzer start Sunday on the road instead of Monday at the Copa...much better at home than on the road. Selfishly, I'm excited about having tickets for Game 3 and I go from seeing Scherzer-Garcia to potentially seeing Verlander-Sabathia but in an odd spot given the brief work on Friday and then starting again on Monday. Oddly enough, the aces on either team would probably be available to the ALCS, which would be next Saturday. Game 4 chances some with Porcello now facing Burnett instead of could've been Sabathia...advantage Tigers.

Hard to really break this one down for tomorrow...what changes does Leyland make to his lineup with a righty coming in at the resumption. Would he burn Inge and lose his glove to get the better bat in Betemit in to face the righty Nova? Betemit is better than a .300 hitter against righties while Inge is sub-.200. The game is tied when they resume with Nova not having to worry about throwing an extra inning. Fister starts/re-starts in the bottom of the 2nd. I imagine Girardi sticks with his lineup as is because it's another righty. Much like every a typical game a pitcher would start, the game is tied when they resume so neither guy has to change their mindset. Game 1 was suppose to be the tone setter of the series now I see it being more important to New York given what may happen with Girardi's original plans of throwing Sabathia on short rest in Game 4 after starting Game 1.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What a nightmare sixth inning...could've gotten out of it a few times. Had the ground ball they were looking for from Martin but didn't hit it hard enough to allow Posada to get to second. Fister would get two quick strikes but couldn't put the hitters away. The Yanks bled them to death and I flipped the channel before the ball landed in the seats from Cano. I'm done...Game 1 to the Yanks.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

No sweat for the Tigers. All they need is to win today (which they will) and then Game 3 is a lock at home with Verlander. Even if the Tigers lose game 4, they can go to the Stadium and scare the shit out of the yankees by plopping Verlander in the bullpen. He'll be available to come in for a couple innings and send the Tigers to the ALCS vs. Tampa.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The key for Scherzer is to keep the ball in yard...he's got on of the highest flyball to ground ball ratio. It looks like they'll get decent weather for the game...mid 60s and sunny with wind out of the South which will carry balls more out in left field. Keep the ball low and in on the righties and just keep it down in general. He's Verlander like in that he's a strikeout pitcher but is very prone to fly balls and home runs. The Yankees waited out Fister and wore him down into making uncharacteristic mistakes and got a lot of balls airborne. Granted, Albuquerque gave up the slam to Cano.

Stay out of the big inning and don't get behind late in the game because the Yankees bullpen is fresh for the most part. It got tight at the end with the bases loaded so Girardi had to use Rivera for one final out. Leyland made the adjustment with bringing in Betemit against Nova when Inge shouldn't be in against anyone accept lefties. Rayburn hit well yesterday...he probably starts again at 2nd. In right, I don't see why Kelly or Dirks doesn't start over Ordonez. Magglio looked the worst out of all the Tigers hitters last night.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

http://www.freep.com/article/20111002/S ... rk-Yankees

Shows what I think...Betemit is in as expected but Santiago in is at 2B (a switch-hitter) and surprisingly he keeps Ordonez in the 2-hole. Considering a lot of balls will be hit into the outfield, I would've gone with the more agile Kelly or Dirks and both guys are left handed to go against the righty Garcia.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:No sweat for the Tigers. All they need is to win today (which they will) and then Game 3 is a lock at home with Verlander. Even if the Tigers lose game 4, they can go to the Stadium and scare the shit out of the yankees by plopping Verlander in the bullpen. He'll be available to come in for a couple innings and send the Tigers to the ALCS vs. Tampa.
Sweet. The Yanks move on.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wheeeeew...onto Monday.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Tigers should be able to finish this off in D-Town. Verlander today with the win and then Yankees try to push it back to NY to no avail....just like it's happened so many times in Division series' before to them, and just like I predicted it would happen in this one. They are pretty good a losing to wild card teams in round one :lol: Almost comical in a way.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Oh, a wild card team...I'm glad he's not talking about the Tigers.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

If this proves to be the very first time YaFJ ever got one right, I'm gonna be seriously pissed.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The FAT fucking RETARD is gassed, Yanks are gonna end up in the bullpen early.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

And that cunt of an ump is squeezing the FAT fucking RETARD at every turn. C.C. is simply not getting the same calls as Verlander.

Sucking is one thing; sucking inconsistently is another; sucking consistently in favor of one pitcher over the other is straight-up bullshit.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

And there it goes. It would be difficult to imagine Detroit losing this one now.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:And that cunt of an ump is squeezing the FAT fucking RETARD at every turn. C.C. is simply not getting the same calls as Verlander.

Sucking is one thing; sucking inconsistently is another; sucking consistently in favor of one pitcher over the other is straight-up bullshit.
Give me a fucking break. Sabathia had absolutely no command tonight. He couldn't even throw the ball to Martin in an intentional walk situation. Dude was melting. There were a couple pitches that went against CC, but they wouldn't have swung this game one way or the other. Bottom line, he was his own worst enemy tonight.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He clearly wasn't getting the calls that Verlander received, and it left him behind in the count and/or walking people that otherwise should have already been retired. This led directly to Detroit's initial two-run inning. It also led to his elevated pitch-count, which led to his early demise.

Had he gotten those calls then his pitch-count goes down, and his command would've seemed fine.

Don't pull a Dins by trying to deny the obvious. Just take your good fortune and run with it.

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Jesus Christ.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

:lol:

I wouldn't have expected this sort of cunty, Toejam-like behavior from you, of all people. So Sabathia's entire woeful performance was based on some calls that Verlander supposedly DID get? None of the other wild pitches in the dirt and otherwise complete lack of command in general had anything to do with it? It was all the ump?

The fact is, one pitcher elevated his game in the late innings (sup 101 MPH?), and the other didn't. That's why Sabathia got yanked, and Verlander pitched into the 8th. That's a bit of obvious YOU can't deny.
Killian

Post by Killian »

And no one but Jeter would have gotten that 1-2 pitch.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Killian

Post by Killian »

Oh yeah, and that 10 pitch, strike out the side 5th by Verlander was because of calls that Sabathia wasn't getting.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Killian wrote:And no one but Jeter would have gotten that 1-2 pitch.
Oh, brother.

Pitch was very low.

Wrists didn't even get halfway to breaking.

Bat didn't even come close to crossing the plate.

Is there some other part of the rule I'm unaware of?

What game were you watching?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:
Pitch was very low.
What game were you watching?
The one where Valverde threw a splitter that barely missed low.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

very low? so jeter's 8'3" now? thing was right down the pipe. waiting now for van to blame that swing and miss on verlander, the ump, the detroit air, and everything else aside from getting owned.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Definitely agree there. How he could even take that pitch under those circumstances was just...wow. Sure, it was close enough to be debatable, but you don't take a pitch like that, not with two strikes.

Conversely, had Verlander been the pitcher instead of Valknucklehead, Jeter gets rung up.

Screw, C.C.'s command was just fine during the early innings. Had he gotten the calls Verlander was getting he would've breezed into the middle innings with a lead, a low pitch-count, and an entirely different look at the game. Instead, he was forced to throw from the stretch nearly the entire time while fighting for every out. It was almost like having to overcome errors in the field. The Tigers were being given too many extra ABs, until finally it broke him.

Doesn't matter now. The Yanks still had their chance and couldn't pull it out. With AJ Burnett going in Game Four, there probably won't be a Game Five.

Here's hoping the Tigers take down either TB or Texas. I'll also be rooting for them against anyone from the NL except Milwaukee, simply because they've never won one as the Brewers. Otherwise, with all the shit the people of Detroit have gone through in recent years, I'd like to see them win this thing.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote: Screw, C.C.'s command was just fine during the early innings. Had he gotten the calls Verlander was getting he would've breezed into the middle innings with a lead, a low pitch-count, and an entirely different look at the game. Instead, he was forced to throw from the stretch nearly the entire time while fighting for every out. It was almost like having to overcome errors in the field. The Tigers were being given too many extra ABs, until finally it broke him.
his command wasn't that good. bitch all you want about the strike zone should be purely objective, but someone as good as sabithia knows it isn't, which is why when he wasn't getting those calls just off the outside of the plate he should have stopped going there.

for the record, homeboy was calling strikes just off the left of the plate but not the right: strike zone chart
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Van wrote: Doesn't matter now. The Yanks still had their chance and couldn't pull it out. With AJ Burnett going in Game Four, there probably won't be a Game Five.

just as I predicted.

Burnett? GOOD NIGHT NOW!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's Toddowen?
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

The Yaks have NO, ZERO, NADA, NOT A FUCKING chance tonight with AJ going. Congrats to the Tigers. Final score....AJ 2 1/3 innings of 45 hit ball giving up 27 runs as the Yanks once again fall to the tigers.......
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I remember way back when, Burnett threw a No-No... with 9 freaking walks.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What a difference ballparks make...at least 4 of the flyballs hit by the Yankees would've been out at THE Stadium...especially the two in right field that went to the warning track. Granderson's triple and Gardner's double were both hit to the spacious power alleys. Verlander got by with pure grit...not even close to being as good as he could be. He willed through a few of those innings and thankfully his pitch count was low enough through the first 6 innings to allow him to battle through the tough 7th and 8th.

I'll be curious to see what Leyland does with a righty starter. He had his lefty lineup last night with Santiago and Inge starting. Given Burnett is probably going to be just as shaky around the strike zone tonight as Sabathia was, he needs to go with guys that can work the count and aren't free swinging. Inge probably wasn't going to start regardless but he battled last night and Santiago really came through after not grounding into that DP in the first inning. My bet would be Betemit at third and since Santiago is a switch hitter and their best defense 2B, he'll start again. I would assume the lineup will look a lot like Game 2.

As for Porcello, I worry about him against the lefties in the Yankees lineup...Cano and Granderson along with the switch hitters. He's surprisingly worse at home than on the road. I do point to his solid performance at the Metrodome in Game 163 in '09 but obviously, that's two years ago. He's like Fister in that he's a pitch to contact pitcher. Fister has become more of a strikeout pitcher in Detroit but he's best when he can get strike 1. Porcello is still a young guy in spite of all his experience...this is definitely the biggest start of his career. He just needs to minimize traffic on the bases and work the bottom half of the strike zone and focus on his strength and that's getting guys to hit ground balls. If the Yanks are launching fly balls, that means he's going to have rough (and brief) outing.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:Unbelievable to have your season riding on Burnett. He may throw a gem, but i seriously doubt it.

One of the worst big bucks investments in baseball history.
I agree,

Sincerely,
Carl Pavano
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I still cannot believe YaFJ is finally going to get one right.

:doh:

Killian

Post by Killian »

Van wrote:I still cannot believe YaFJ is finally going to get one right.

:doh:
He did have Detroit as the wild card team.

And I wouldn't throw in the towel yet on the Yankees. Porcello is known to go gas can from time to time, and Valverde may not be available.

Anything less than a 4 run lead in the 8th and I'll be worried.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

My guess is that Valverde doesn't go tonight simply because of the pitch count. Going three days in a row isn't the issue...it's the number of pitches. Benoit probably didn't go last night because of the 2 inning out on Sunday but he'd be available tonight as would any reliever since Verlander ate up 8 innings.

Porcello is going to a rough night if he gets into a lot of jams because he doesn't have that Verlander-like fastball he can go to throw his way out of inning. I don't seem to recall many of the strikeouts last night weren't via a fastball. I don't know the exact numbers since I was there. It seems like when Verlander needed a big pitch, he'd go with the gas.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

I agree as well.
Sincerely,
Kevin Brown

Can't they bring Fritz Peterson out of retirement? To have this whole season riding on that crap ass fucking head case just pisses me off. 200 million fucking dollars and you can't put together a pitching staff worth a shit. That's just awesome.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

M Club wrote:very low? so jeter's 8'3" now? thing was right down the pipe.
It's not worth the effort. Not even Dinsdale believes what he typed.

btw, Yankee Fan complaining about home town calls is the best bit of bwahahahahahahaha i've read in a while.