ESPN bas a "bias" for Big East football?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ESPN bas a "bias" for Big East football?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

This, uhh, "debate," has been raging in the NFL forum, so I thought I'd bring it back here to its rightful place.

Spray has made the claim that ESPN shows a clear bias for Big East football, simply because ESPN is located in Connecticut, which is obviously within close proximity to some Big East schools. His "evidence" is that ESPN gave Rutgers some pub in 2006 because they fielded an 11-2 team.

Rutgers, a historically awful football program, fields the season of a lifetime, for which ESPN gives them a little run (deservedly so - good story)...so they MUST be showing favoritism for the Big East, right? :meds: Yeah, cuz if Vandy or Baylor did the same thing, they wouldn't talk about it at all. Gimme a break.

My claim is that ESPN does not give two shits about the Big East, rather, they care about programs that drive ratings and ultimately make them money.

What say you? Does ESPN show a bias for Big East football?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: ESPN bas a "bias" for Big East football?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Absolutely fucking not and any argument to the contrary is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. Period.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Are we talking about football? If so the answer is no. In fact ESPN might lean the other way in that the Big Least turned down a large tv deal from ESPN. The execs in Bristol are probably happy about that now given who know what that confirm might look like in a month.

Now basketball...well this is not the "rightful" place for that discussion.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

of course they're biased, though when walking southern cholesterol use "bias" they mean it to mean that one time the tv said something they didn't agree with.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:Are we talking about football? If so the answer is no. In fact ESPN might lean the other way in that the Big Least turned down a large tv deal from ESPN. The execs in Bristol are probably happy about that now given who know what that confirm might look like in a month. Now basketball...well this is not the "rightful" place for that discussion.
Just football. Clearly ESPN jacks it to Big East basketball, and for obvious reasons. Big East is (was?) the SEC of basketball.

I'm just curious to know if even ONE person agrees with Spray, as I've never heard this claim before, yet he seems to think it's common knowledge.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:What say you? Does ESPN show a bias for Big East football?
If ESPN had a bias for Big East football they would have shown the OT for the SU - Toledo game instead of switching to the start of the Ohio State - Colorado game.

Fuckers. :x
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's OK, BSmack. Toledo got screwed out of that game ending in regulation, anyway.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:It's OK, BSmack. Toledo got screwed out of that game ending in regulation, anyway.
Yea they did. Not that the MNC or even a conference title will hang in the balance. But yea, Toledo got screwed. Were those ESPN officials on the field? Or Buffalo Wild Wing officials?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Us MAC fans/teams are used to it. Toledo got screwed against OSU a few weeks ago. On their best days when they're better than the other team in their own crib, they have to be better than perfect because they have to overcome the officials as well. Although we're used to it, doesn't make it any less bitter.

The three areas where refs screw teams and get away with it: holding (or lack of), pass interference (or lack of), spotting the ball.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The three areas where refs screw teams and get away with it: holding (or lack of), pass interference (or lack of), spotting the ball.
And apparently, the "horseshoes and hand grenades" clause of the PAT rule.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Left Seater wrote:Are we talking about football? If so the answer is no. In fact ESPN might lean the other way in that the Big Least turned down a large tv deal from ESPN. The execs in Bristol are probably happy about that now given who know what that confirm might look like in a month.
ESPN has exclusive negotiating right until November of 2012, so the initial deal that was turned down (by Pitt's chancellor no less) was not unexpected.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Yeah, they did that because it was ESPN's token "feel good story" because it was fucking Rutgers. They did the same in 1995 and 1996 for Northwestern. They didn't do it last year for UConn because UConn sucked.

You don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

MuchoBulls wrote:ESPN has exclusive negotiating right until November of 2012, so the initial deal that was turned down (by Pitt's chancellor no less) was not unexpected.
Ok, but the deal that was on the table and turned down isn't going to get better with Pitt and Syracuse leaving. And if UConn and Rutgers go as most think, then the next offer from ESPN will be pennies on the dollar of what the Big East passed on.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Just STFU already, Fatspray. You are really full of shit on this one. Period.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Papa Willie wrote: And like the don't suck ND's tits?
actually, no. aside from lou holtz, tell us anyone falling all over themselves to gush over notre dame. pencil, paper, and stopwatch friend.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Papa Willie wrote:
Killian wrote:Yeah, they did that because it was ESPN's token "feel good story" because it was fucking Rutgers. They did the same in 1995 and 1996 for Northwestern. They didn't do it last year for UConn because UConn sucked.

You don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.

And like the don't suck ND's tits? Jesus fucking Christ, dude. Again - ANY time ANY school from the NE shows a LITTLE hope, they freak the fuck out. Hell - this is one of the reasons they keep sucking Matt Ryan's dick - he was from BC!!!! They were all in his cock when he was at BC!
You realize that if you keep up with this argument, you're going to get plunger raped harder than anyone else in the history of this forum, right?

And as MClub pointed out, no, they don't. They didn't "freak the fuck out" last year when UConn made the BCS.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jesus H. Christ, talk about digging your own grave.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Just STFU already, Fatspray. You are really full of shit on this one. Period.
You're old, and you love black people.
You’re fat, you’re stupid and you can’t admit when you’re wrong.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Killian

Post by Killian »

Papa Willie wrote:
M Club wrote:
actually, no. aside from lou holtz, tell us anyone falling all over themselves to gush over notre dame. pencil, paper, and stopwatch friend.

Oh - Okay. I guess at the beginning of the season when they're all saying ND will be unbeaten, etc., that there's no dick-soaking going on at all. :D
Actually, they were one of the ones who weren't bullish on ND. Athlon and Phil Steele both had ND in their top 10, while the only person on ESPN who predicted that was their former coach. Herbstreit went as far as to say he only saw 5 gimmie wins on the schedule.

But continue to fuck yourself in the ass everytime you hit "submit" in this thread.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
M Club wrote:

Oh - Okay. I guess at the beginning of the season when they're all saying ND will be unbeaten, etc., that there's no dick-soaking going on at all. :D
Who at ESPN ever said that ND would be unbeaten? Link up or shut up.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Go do your laundry.
I actually ran into the Laundry Room Tard Family the other day at the grocery store. There's another spawn -- a male in his late 20s/early 30s. :shock:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Be careful about asking for change for the laundry, Screwball.

A town of Madison man was charged Wednesday with raping a neighbor who had stopped by his apartment to get change for laundry.

Sheldon G. Hansen, 53, was charged with second-degree sexual assault and false imprisonment for allegedly raping the woman and then keeping her from leaving his West Badger Road apartment so she could report it, according to a criminal complaint filed in Dane County Circuit Court.

The woman told police that she had gone to Hansen’s apartment to get change when he attacked her unexpectedly, the complaint states.

Hansen was jailed on $4,000 bail after appearing in court Wednesday.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Not sure how this bias would be benefiting the Big Least. News from their camp has been rather dire of late.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

We are arguing with an individual that did not know the SEC had a contract with CBS. This is hopeless. I've said it before, I'll say it again: SEC fans = most passionate, but also the least knowledgeable. It is a truly puzzling dynamic.
Killian

Post by Killian »

So is it ESPN or NBC with the East coast bias? And when did ND become "East coast"? I know you Southerners aren't too good with a globe, but ND is on no coast. Prove your point or shut the fuck up.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:Ultimately, this comes down to a few people like you who are just fucking jealous of the SEC.
So, we're discussing a very specific subject in regards to ESPN and the Big East, and your response is - YOU'RE JEALOUS OF THE SEC!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just surrender already. Why do this to yourself?
Killian

Post by Killian »

You didn't say "all the networks", Lenny. You said ESPN. Stop moving the goal posts and try to prove your first idiotic statement. Link or STFU.
Killian

Post by Killian »

You didn't say "all the networks", Lenny. You said ESPN. Stop moving the goal posts and try to prove your first idiotic statement. Link or STFU.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Papa Willie wrote:Does ANYBODY remember their suck-off session a few years back with Rutgers? You would have thought that Rutgers was suddenly the fucking Yankees of CF.
I lived in Princeton-Plainsboro off Route1 and Rutgers is about 20 miles north off Route1. When I moved back I saw Fresno State go in there and kick their ass and never once heard ESPN prop Rutgers other than wh they were talking about that player that got partially paralyzed in some kickoff by some other team.

On the radio over there, you never heard about any college team of any kind because it's all about New York and Philly pro sports. Over there, they simply don't care about the college teams of which there are many. I've never once heard about Princeton University sports on any station and I lived 3 miles from the campus.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:You're old, and you love black people.
You’re fat, you’re stupid and you can’t admit when you’re wrong.
Cock-engorged cream-drinker. Where is ESPN located?
About 4 inches north of your short fat neck.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Perhaps we should collate the board's Tub of Cholesterol's arguments into a single post:

- ESPN is biased toward the Big East Conference because it's HQ'd on the East Coast and occasionally broadcasts feel-good stories about eastern schools to their worldwide audience. No mention from Cholesterol about any West Coast or Flyover feel-good stories. (Because g-d knows we've never seen Ohio State or Michigan on Sportscenter.)

- ESPN sucks off Notre Dame because a few of its analysts think Notre Dame is a good team and therefore might have a pretty good W-L record. Turns out they are a pretty good team and should be 4-0 were it not for turnovers, a stat related more to happenstance than to any other variable.

- There is most definitely an East Coast conspiracy because NBC broadcasts every single Notre Dame home game, a Midwestern school that happens to be the single institution NBC has broadcasting rights to.

- STFU you're jealous of the SEC ergo I can say up is down and you're just jealous andd wrong.

- Anytime a team from the Big East shows just a little bit of hope ESPN falls all over itself to be first in line handing out blow jobs, as if we haven't heard about Stanford the last two years, Boise State the last three, TCU last year, Kansas and Todd Reeser a few years ago, and Hawaii whatever that year was.

- ESPN has an East Coast bias because Matt Ryan was once a Heisman finalist before quickly transitioning into a good QB on a good NFL team. They talk about him every so often when previewing Atlanta football games, but only because ESPN is HQ'd in Connecticut.

Conclusions:

- Cholesterol has confirmation bias. He thinks ESPN has a bias toward Big East football and the four minutes spent on an hour-long program talking about Big East football is proof enough he's right.

- Cholesterol is a fucking moron. Inter-regional rivalry has nothing on intra-regional rivalry. If the fact ESPN is located in Connecticut was proof enough of bias then they would have never pimped Rutgers, a New Jersey school with a similar building-from-the-ground-up profile as UConn football.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Yeah, you're dumb as a god damn stump and have no evidence to back up your fucking tin foil hat theory. If your throat is dry, it's the business end of the plunger making it's way out.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Outside of slapping down your stupid fucking theories, one by one?

Keep telling us about the rabbits, Lenny.

1. Highly doubt it.
2. Non starter
3. Is this even a point?
4. Yes, we all do. And we all laugh at you when you say it's an East Coast bias. They got the same coverage that Boise State, TCU and other non-traditional schools have gotten.
5. Why don't you tell the class who has been arguably the best basketball conference in America? The Big East.
6. Yeah, they didn't ride the cocks of San Fran last year, did they? But outside of them, who have been the last few WS winners? '09 Yankees, '08 Phillies, '07 Red Sox. All East Coast teams.
7. Heat, Heat and more Heat. Complete and utter FAIL on this point, Lenny.
8. Does anyone in the west or south care about the NHL? Oh, and they usually blow the Red Wings, from the midwest. FAIL again.
9. NFL. What team had an undefeated regular season a few years ago? Who beat them in the Super Bowl? But you're right, they didn't blow the Saints or the Colts, did they? FAIL.
10. See point 3.

Link or STFU.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Papa Willie wrote: Hope this makes sense.
none at all. so now your point has been boiled down to:
If they weren't sucking the cocks of all the above mentioned leagues, why wouldn't they suck the cocks of the college football teams up there if they were worth a fuck?
??????

the leagues and broadcasters have entered into mutually beneficial business arrangements where the broadcaster pays the leagues for broadcasting rights and in turn the broadcaster drums up interest in the league in order to solicit more and more ad revenue? downright conspiracy. the illuminati must be involved. that or find someone else to blame your irrelevance on.

the ignorant southern inbred stereotype wouldn't exist if you weren't all ignorant southern inbreds, you know.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Spray,

ESPN is a business, you stupid asshat, and they operate how any smart, thriving business would: by pandering to the customer. This is why they jack Michigan, USC, the Yankees, the Cowboys, Duke, the Lakers and Ohio State alike. This is why they don't jack the Nationals or Rutgers, unless Rutgers shocks the world and goes 11-2, which is a story that most certainly deserves to be milked. But I guess you aren't happy unless a 6-6 Mississippi State gets all the ink.

They know where their bread is buttered, and the proof of that is evident. Their contracts with the other conferences are more lucrative. Take a peak at a tv schedule and you will see some of the better games in the Big East take a back seat to some of the more pedestrian match ups from the SEC, Big 10, etc.

In recent years, WVU has been the Big East's premier program, and Morgantown couldn't get featured on "Game Day" until last Saturday. And it took big, bad LSU rolling into town to make that happen.

Big East (as well as ACC) teams are forced to play games on Thursday nights just to get some national exposure, as they get buried on cfb Saturdays by the big boys.

But yeah, none of that means anything to you. ESPN erected a building in Connecticut and apparently said "Fuck the ratings! Let's pimp UCONN because their campus is only 40 miles away and half of our interns went to school there! THAT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE! HIGH FIVES!!!"

I guess there is only one television in the entire world where UCONN, Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse get more run than Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska or more run than Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, or more run than Texas, Okie State, Texas A&M, and Missouri, and apparently that tv resides in your living room.

Of course, none of this even needs to be said. Anybody with even a shred of common sense knows you're full of shit, and I started this thread to see if even ONE person would agree with you. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that nobody did. It wouldn't have been a big deal...I woulda let it go, but you kept facepalming me and acting genuinely befuddled that I couldn't understand your position, as though your ridiculous proclamation was some kind of common knowledge. It isn't, you idiot. Never has been, and never will be. You should just end it here and say you were wrong. But I suppose you've fucked yourself so deep within the asshole of your own stupidity, you feel as though you can't back down.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

I think this is the part where Cholesterol claimes bode by fiat because he was "trolling." Bwah.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Papa Willie wrote:
You have seemingly twisted this to where I'm saying "ALL THE TIME they're doing it", when I have pointed out that they do it ANY CHANCE they get. If there's nothing football-wise going on up there, no - they really don't do it. I said that if somebody like RUTGERS is having a good year, they will make it seem like the second coming.
My bad: someone stole your fried chicken, fucked your wife, and left you on the hook for alimony. M2 and I will give you a hug later. But at least you've finally made your point abundantly clear: if there's a compelling story in CF, ESPN will cover it. Thanks for the insight, but please note if you walk yourself back any farther you'll have to crawl back into the welfare cooch that evicted your Tub of Butter all those years ago.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Papa Willie wrote:Firstly, these networks are IN the NE with all of the people working there easily being fans of NE teams more often than not.
:?

Lenny probably thinks this makes sense.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Spray's paying alimony? Ouch.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Spray's paying alimony? Ouch.
Think about it. 4 or 5 years ago he told us his wife squirted out a pair of twins. Within the past year or so he started posting at all hours, something he probably couldn’t manage with a couple of youngsters to look after. He also mentioned that last year was a bad year for him. It doesn’t take Dick Fucking Tracy to connect the dots.

Not just alimony, but child support as well.