Five Burning Questions Going Into the Season

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Five Burning Questions Going Into the Season

Post by Go Coogs' »

Questions are listed from least important to most important.

#5 - Can the Houston offense duplicate last season's performance?
They return everyone but Vonta Leach who was blasting opposing LBs into oblivion while Arian Foster was on his way to a 1600+ yard rushing performance. However, the Texans replace Leach with an almost equal punisher in Lawrence Vickers who was paving the way for Peyton Hillis' breakout season in 2010. Additionally, Owen Daniels is 100% again and so is Andre Johnson. OD was still recovering from an ACL tear and wasn't nearly as effective as we saw in '08 and '09. Everyone says he looks like the OD of old. As for Andre, after week 2 he played the rest of the season with a high ankle sprain but still managed to put up the catches and yards; however, he did miss the Oakland, Denver, and J-Viller game. He'll be healthy this year. Bottom line? The offense is going to put up big numbers again this season and will creep up on the scoring list among the top teams (3rd in yards and 9th in scoring in 2010).

#4 - With no OTAs and the lockout lasting until the start of camp, how much will that affect the Texans' D transition to Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme?
I think we'll see some miscues and blown assignments early in the season that could cost the Texans' a game or two. I am a little worried considering the circumstances. Yeah, I know they have four games to work out the fine details, but the preseason is more about staying healthy and not about the 1st team getting in more reps in games 1, 2, and 4. Maybe we will see Phillips have the first team spend three or four more series out there during the preseason, but I don't think that will make that much of a difference when trying to learn a new system in four weeks. We'll see.
#3 - Do the Texans have a good enough DT to succeed in Phillip's one-gap system?
Shaun Cody is listed as #1 on the current depth chart but Earl Mitchell is expected to suplant Cody before the season starts because of his body type fitting Wade's system. They cut first round bust Amobi Okoye, but do have veteran Damione Lewis to come off the bench and help in a three man rotation. Personally, I don't think Cody fits this system and the Texans should just let him go and pick up another smaller more athletic DT to support Lewis and Mitchell. As for Mitchell, I think the kid will be good at some point this season, but it might take some time for him to develop as a solide one-gap DT. His up the middle pressure will have to be respected just enough so Mario and Barwin can tee off. It's a bit of a question mark for the Texans' D.
#2 - Do the Texans have enough depth at ILB and is DeMeco healthy enough to be effective by the start of the season?
I almost want to put this as the #1 question, but I decided against it and I'll tell you why later in this explanation. DeMeco is coming off a season ending achilles injury which is very difficult to fully recover from in less than a year. DeMeco was not playing at a high level before he checked out for good in week 6 versus KC, so I'm not fully convinced he can be the Pro Bowl LB we were use to seeing from '08 and '09. Backing DeMeco up is injury prone softy Xavier Adibi who has been a major dissapointment ever since the Texans drafted him. He is very athletic, but gets banged up too easily when stopping the run in the trenches. With both these guys as the 1-2 for the MLB slot, it's a liability. Brian Cushing will be starting as the WLB, but he is coming off knee surgery from Janaury and won't step onto the field until this weekend. Kubiak says he's fine and is watching a lot of film, but it still concerns me if Cushing is 100% by the start of the season. We'll see. Now comes the good news; I'm talking about second year LB Darryl Sharpton. He started showing signs of good play towards the end of last season as a rookie and everyone is praising this kid for picking up on Phillip's 3-4 scheme so easily. He has shined early in camp thus far. Right now he is filling in for Cush as the WLB, so he is not slated to start; however, if DeMeco turns out to be a liability at MLB, then Sharpton can fill in nicely. There isn't much of a difference between the Will and Mike in Phillips' scheme accept for gap assignments, so Sharpton shouldn't have any issues sliding over if DeMeco goes down. I'm still worried about the lack of depth at the position due to both starters coming off surgery. I mean, there is NOBODY after Adibi and that ain't good.
#1 - Did the Texan's secondary improve enough during the offseason to work in Phillip's scheme?
Worst pass defense I've ever seen in the NFL was my one and only 2010 Houston Texans. The secondary was like watching four ducks try to rollerskate backwards on ice. Yes, it was that bad. Now, they have three new pieces...well sort of. Jonathon Joseph takes over duties as the shutdown corner. The "island" guy. He is arguably a top five corner when healthy. Health being the operative word. On the other side of the field, well, lets just say there are more questions than answers. Early reports at camp are a mixed bag when it comes to Kareem Jackson's progress. Word is he is more comfortable with the new coaching staff and Wade Phillip's defense; on the other hand, he has been burned a few times already by starting WRs and UDFA WRs. It's K-Jax's job to lose, but I'm not as worried as I was last season in knowing that Jason Allen can at least play a little and rookie Brandon Harris is having a great camp early on. It's a concern considering Phillips' D has a ton of man coverage. As for the safeties, Danieal Manning was my favorite FA option for the Texans behind Scrabble or Joseph. Manning can do everything in the secondary. He didn't give up one TD last season, because he never got burned. He is speedy, can cover slots, and wideouts from time-to-time and is a decent tackler. He'll be a fine SS. Quin moves over from CB to FS, which everyone has said from the start of his career that its his calling. He is better suited as FS because he had trouble staying with WRs on streak routes. He wasn't bad on short crossing and curl routes, but he struggled in man on streaks. FS is perfect for him. He will be assigned to slots and over the top help for Joseph and K-Jax (mostly K-Jax). Overall, this group is 10x better than last year's pile of shit. I think they'll be fine, but there could be some growing pains along the way. It will be up to Mario, Watt, and Barwin to not allow QBs to look through their progressions 37 times before a reciever is open. I'm not looking for the Texans to go from 32nd to first in pass defense, but I would settle for a split down the middle. And to me, that is good enough for the offense to take care of the rest

Playoff bound 2011.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Re: Five Burning Questions Going Into the Season

Post by poptart »

The Texans were a trendy preseason sleeper pick by a lot of folks last year.

Up until the bye week (4-2 record), they looked like they might be a legit playoff contender.

But they came out of the bye and *SNAP*, lost 4 straight - givin' up 30 a game, and it cratered pretty damn bad.

How is Kubiak keeping the job there?
I suspected he was on shaky ground going in to last season and thought he really needed to have the team in the playoffs in order to hang on.
Guess not.

I do imagine W. Phillips stands a chance of having a positive impact on your defense.
If so, yeah, you figure to score points again, so it's not out of the question that you could be knockin' at the playoff door if all goes well.

Houston has great football fans and I half-ass root for the Texans to do well.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

poptart wrote:Houston has great football fans and I half-ass root for the Texans to do well.
The Houston Oilers made the playoffs like 8 years in a row back in the Warren Moon days and were always blacked out. I grew up listening to more games on the radio than I could see on TV. The fans in Houston suck even if there is a winner on the field. I blame the loss of the Oilers to Tennessee on Houstonians liking the Cowboys more and sticking at home to watch them causing the blackouts. Hence, my disgust for the Cowboys.

Now, once Houston got stripped of the Oilers and were ridden of Bud Adams, they realized what they had and wanted a team back. I doubt they let that happen again.

As for Kubiak, there was a time I hoped he had fallen flat, got fired and picked up by Texas A&M as the HC. However, Sherman seems to be getting A&M on track now. If Sherman has a bad year this year as well as Kubiak, it could still happen. Right now though, I prefer A&M keeps their momentum and hope Sherman is leading the Aggies for a couple decades. Our longest tenured football coach at A&M was Slocum at 14 years with a .712 winning percentage. I'll take another of those runs with Sherman (sitting at .500 now though).
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

If you look at NFL attendance stats (they have the numbers from '06 - '10), it shows Houston doing very well filling Reliant Stadium - even though the teams have not been all that great.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2010
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

That was my point. Houston didn't know what they had until it was gone. Right now, the Texans are still relatively "new" along with the stadium. They've had decent success hanging around .500. Football has also taken off as the #1 sport in America and with the advent of Fantasy Football, you've got a lot more awareness. People stay interested longer even if their teams our toast. And most of all, like I said before, Houstonians won't let it happen again. At least in football they won't. You take a look at Minute Maid Park. It's a beautiful venue, and no one is going because the team is a cellar dweller. It always amazed me how much of a bandwagon town the 3rd largest city in America was. I lived in Dallas from 1998-2004 when they were jack shit. Cowboy Stadium was still sold out and packed every Sunday, and Dallas is a city of transplants.

I'm still a Houston Fan in baseball and basketball. I followed the Oilers to Tennessee and have stuck with them. I will always be an Astros and Rockets fan, but I am still sickened by the lack of support for the sports teams in Houston when they are down. I can understand it if your owner is like the Clippers who won't spend a dime on anyone. Houston owners have always tried to bring in high dollar talent yet if there isn't instant success, typical HoustonFan changes the channel.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

IndyFrisco wrote: Hence, my disgust for the Cowboys.
Really? Go fuck yourself.
:hfal:
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's the fucking Texans. Burning questions? Barely smoldering.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Questions #1. How many more times can Texan fans go into the preseason thinking "this year we'll be relevant"?

Questions #2-5. See #1
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

R-Jack wrote:Questions #1. How many more times can Texan fans go into the preseason thinking "this year we'll be relevant"?
~slowly backs out of thread~

-Charger Fan
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

IndyFrisco wrote: I can understand it if your owner is like the Clippers who won't spend a dime on anyone.
Like Bud Adams?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

R-Jack wrote:Questions #1. How many more times can Texan fans go into the preseason thinking "this year we'll be relevant"?

Questions #2-5. See #1

Great insight. For a minute there, I thought this was an NFL forum. Guess not.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

mvscal wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote: I can understand it if your owner is like the Clippers who won't spend a dime on anyone.
Like Bud Adams?
^^^^This.

Nobody liked Bud Adams as an owner down here. There was always this feeling that Oiler fan had one foot on a beer trap and the other on a banana peel when supporting Bud's teams. Because it was HIS team and not the fans. He made that clear with his silly antics. Not only that, but Houston wasn't in the best economical shape in the late 80s and early 90s when Houston made its playoff run. Don't get me wrong, the product was exciting to watch...well...when we did get to watch the Oilers, but the bottom line was people didn't like Bud Adams.

As for the Texans overwhelming support and record attendence marks, this team feels like they belong to Houston and it's fans. Bob McNair wanted to give Houston a team and he broke the bank to get a franchise here. Not only that, but the economy is much better here than it was back then AND the Texans' front office has made going to a game a very enjoyable experience. Not only that, but it also doesn't hurt to go watch a game in one of the better stadiums in the NFL.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Ditto to what Rumps and mvscal said.

If the Oiler fans were not coming out in the early '90's, it had mostly to do with them being sick to death of a fat dickbag owner who obviously didn't give a shit about the fans who pay the freight.

The fans didn't want to eat his shit any longer, and who can really blame them?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:If the Oiler fans were not coming out in the early '90's, it had mostly to do with them being sick to death of a fat dickbag owner who obviously didn't give a shit about the fans who pay the freight.
It was a lame duck franchise. That's why they didn't come out. Everybody knew Adams was going to bolt after 93.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Go Coogs' wrote:

Questions #2-5. See #1

Great insight. For a minute there, I thought this was an NFL forum. Guess not.
It is. We're talking football in here. Of course people in here would rather talk about Houston's old team more in a thread about their new team, which may give you some insight on where the Texans register on the public's "give a fuck" scale.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The Texans are not a popular team for discussion in this forum - to say the least, but shit, Rumps put up a very solid post in effort to get discussion going.

To my way of thinking, this forum needs a helluva lot more nuts & bolts football talk like that and much less "YOU'RE A FAT FUCKING RETARD" type of chatter.

We get way more than enough kindergarten type banter in here.

I salute Rumps, even though he prolly put most people to sleep.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

This thread isn't about the Texans. Its about anyone who has 5 questions about their team before the season starts. Poptart usually throws a thread out there around this time a year regarding expectations for the upcoming season of the duhs. And that is extended to anyone who wants to chime in on their respective teams. I didn't see pops start a thread yet, so I did instead with a different theme.

So, your so called "insight" is shit, r-jack.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

1. How will the Boys defense be under Ryan's scheme this year?
2. Who will emerge as a solid #3 on the WR list?
3. Who is going to step up and be a kicker this year?
4. Is Dez Bryant mature enough to step up and truly be the Boys' #1 receiver?
5. Is Felix Jones capable of being an every down back?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

1. Can Chad Clifton last one more season?

2. Will Ryan Grant return to form this year?

3. How much does Charles Woodson have left in the tank?

4 .Is Mike Neal ready to step up at defensive end?

5. Where on earth will the Packers store another NFL Title trophy?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:3. How much does Charles Woodson have left in the tank?
Obviously not much. He was only the second most valuable defender on your team last year.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:3. How much does Charles Woodson have left in the tank?
Obviously not much. He was only the second most valuable defender on your team last year.

He turns 35 this year. I assume he doesn't have a lot of years left. Your team should suck out loud again.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Wisconsin's trophy case?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Wisconsin's trophy case?
Yes, the Badgers don't have a ton of NFL titles. Yet.

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

1. Will Michael Vick last an entire year without getting injured?
2. Will the depth at CB cover up the major holes at Safety?
3. Who is the Eagles starting MLB?
4. What is wrong with Jeremy Maclin and how many games will he miss?
5. How will Juan Castillo adjust from Offensive line coach to Defensive Coordinator?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

What sort of asshole posts the 5 questions and doesn't provider their own takes on them? Jim Rome is rolling over in his grave right about now.

Rack Rumps... whether he KCPauled them or they were original takes.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:What sort of asshole posts the 5 questions and doesn't provider their own takes on them?

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

DallasFanatic wrote:1. How will the Boys defense be under Ryan's scheme this year?
2. Who will emerge as a solid #3 on the WR list?
3. Who is going to step up and be a kicker this year?
4. Is Dez Bryant mature enough to step up and truly be the Boys' #1 receiver?
5. Is Felix Jones capable of being an every down back?
1. Ryan's D is similar to Parcell's D. He runs a two gap scheme as opposed to Phillips' one gap scheme which means Dallas' DT needs to be a beast. I'm not sure Ratliff is the guy to fit this scheme. Some questions on that interior. Brooking and James are older, but I think they'll be fine. Jenkins needs to have a better season than last. Elam was a solid pickup at SS. I think Dallas' D will be slightly better than mediocre.

2. Tough one. Not sure if any of the guys standout and can be a reliable #3. The 1-2 punch of Bryant and Austin is solid but there is a major drop off in talent after that. Austin needs to do a better job of catching the rock. He was near the bottom of the league among all receivers in drop percentage (13.75%).

3. Someone who can put it between Ken's legs.

4. I think so, but he must stay healthy first and foremost. Nagging injuries last season disrupted his performance last season. He is a special talent and I think he is gonna breakout this season as long as he can stay healthy and out of trouble.

5. That was more on Dallas' o-line being terrible at run blocking last season. Although, maybe Jones' decision to bulk up whilst losing a step contributed to the problem. I think it was on the o-line though. The o-line should be better and DeMarco Murray is special when healthy, so I don't think it will be all on Jones to perform as the primary back.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

jiminphilly wrote:1. Will Michael Vick last an entire year without getting injured?
5. How will Juan Castillo adjust from Offensive line coach to Defensive Coordinator?
1. Not likely. His style of play won't allow him to play all 16 games. Just hope he only misses a game or two and is healthy enough come playoff time.

2. Nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Iggles played a lot of nickel to cover that up. Could cost them in run support a little, but Cullen Jenkins will be the guy to stop that.

3. Who the hell is Jamar Chaney?

4. Not sure, but Steve Smith was a good insurance policy pick up just in case.

5. Who cares? The Iggles have free rein to send seven on every pass play.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Rack Rumps... whether he KCPauled them
Not a chance in hell. That was all me.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Maclin - undisclosed illness? Just make some bullshit up, how hard is that?

and for those that pay attention to such things, Rumps just made the short list for 2012 JFFL.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Regarding the Raiders, I'll give you the cliff notes version, because I know you aren't interested in reading the rambling analysis of some internet dipshit named poptart, anyway.

From 1-5, with 1 bringing the most concern.

1. O-Line: I had almost the same exact concerns last season and things shaped up well in run-blocking and not so well in pass protection.
Lost Gallery and Walker.
Starters Satele, Veldheer, and Carlisle return.
Two rookies drafted and some other 'spares' brought in.
If this new group doesn't start to take shape by preseason game 3, I'll officially be getting concerned.

2. Cornerback: Nnamdi is a pretty significant loss.
D-backs are getting lit up in training camp, which is a different story from recent years.
I can believe our passing game is better, but that much better?
Give this until week 3 of preseason, too, and if it looks shaky, I'll be concerned.

3. Stop the run?: Have we ever?
Hue says the buck stops with him and we WILL stop it this year.
Hmmmm....

4. Campbell in year two with the young receivers: Miller was his most reliable target and he's replaced by K. Boss.
Jacoby Ford really came on last season and made a lot of big plays for us.
I expect more of that and hope one or two of the other kids can step up and be legit for us.
We need it.

5. Rookie head coach Hue Jackson: Will he win?
I feel better about him than any Raider coach since Gruden.
He's got smarts, energy, toughness, a vision, and seems to know how to handle the old man.
I like the way he's run training camp - he's building a physical team.
Time will tell if we see bottom line results from him.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

1. Norv Turner

I really wish this guy was our offensive coordinator not the head coach. He's not an idiot. He just doesn't inspire a sense of urgency not that the inspirational drill sergeant approach had any success either. Maybe it's the climate.

2. Pass rush

Haven't had one since Merriman quit taking roids. We've been bleeding LBs ever since Donnie Edwards left. Obviously not a good sign in a 3-4.

3. Special teams

What the fucking fuck was that?!? I've seen ST blow a game here and there, but a whole season? You've got to be shitting me. A team with the #1 offense and #1 defense doesn't make the playoffs? That's even more fucked up than a team sweeping its division and finishing in 3rd place. Hopefully that was injuries. Who loses three long snappers? This should be fixed. They don't have to be good. They just have to avoid sucking out loud.

4. Can the offense maintain

Barring injury to Rivers, yes.

5. Can Nate Kaeding make a fucking field goal in the post season?

He should be able to to...but he hasn't. Who the fuck knows.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Go Coogs' wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:1. Will Michael Vick last an entire year without getting injured?
1. Not likely. His style of play won't allow him to play all 16 games. Just hope he only misses a game or two and is healthy enough come playoff time.

2. Nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Iggles played a lot of nickel to cover that up. Could cost them in run support a little, but Cullen Jenkins will be the guy to stop that.

3. Who the hell is Jamar Chaney?

4. Not sure, but Steve Smith was a good insurance policy pick up just in case.

5. Who cares? The Iggles have free rein to send seven on every pass play.

1. If Vick has to miss more than two games, this team won't make the playoffs. Their defense has improved but their bread and butter is their offense. It's what makes their team go. They have no viable backup.
2. Can't play nickel with 2 corners who can't tackle and Cullen Jenkins was brought in to bring about a pass rush on the inside.
3. Jamar Chaney isn't taking 1st team reps at training camp.
4. Steve Smith is a slot receiver. The Eagles already have one of them. Besides Smith won't be ready for the start of the season either.
5. A lot of people care. If you don't disguise your blitzes than teams will pick you apart. That's what made Jim Johnson so good at what he did.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Go Coogs' wrote:That was all me.
Good job then.
War Wagon wrote:and for those that pay attention to such things, Rumps just made the short list for 2012 JFFL.
He's on my 2011 list, actually. Whole lotta peeps haven't paid...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

1. Was the 4-game winning streak at the end of 2010 the start of something good or a fluke?

A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon after the way they ended last year and with the talent they've accumulated in the last few drafts. None of those wins were with Stafford...only one of the six wins came in a game that Stafford started. They beat the Packers but that was with Rodgers knocked out of the game. Winning streaks at the end of a season by a non-playoff team always plants false hope for the next season. They'll win more than 6 games this year but I'm not ready to put them into the NFC playoffs yet.

2. IF Stafford can stay healthy, is he the guy that can lead the Lions back to the playoffs?

Stafford seems to get more hype while he's hurt than when he plays. He's got a very strong arm and all I've read this summer is about how healthy he is and how well he's throwing the ball. I don't think you can throw Stafford on most playoff teams and say they wouldn't miss a beat. The guy has played just 13 games in 2 seasons and has only 3 wins...two over Washington and one against Cleveland. I think he's getting way too much credit for doing very little in the league so far. He's talented but still very unproven at this point and he's yet to prove that he can take a beating over an NFL season without getting hurt.

3. With Leshoure out for the season, who will the Lions turn to as the power back to accompany Best? (recently brought in Jerome Harrison and Mike Bell)

I really liked the pick of Leshoure to be the power back to take some of the workload off Best but he shredded his Achilles' earlier this week and is out for the year. Best is not going to be an every down back given the way he runs. He's not a between the tackles guy...more a change of pace back. Morris was very solid at the end of last year getting most of the carries...I thought he was a capable #2. He's still in the mix. They added Harrison and Bell and I'm sure they'll let the preseason play out to decide who sticks. I think sustainable running game is something that can help take some pressure off Stafford. Best was excellent early in the season before the turf toe issues popped up. They need to regulate his workload to keep him fresh and use him situationally.

4. Is this defensive line all hype or for real?

Suh has been getting the superstar push since the end of his rookie year. He's probably the biggest star the Lions have had since Barry retired. To pair him with Fairley in the middle with veterans like Vanden Bosch and Avril on the outside makes for a potentially dominant defensive front. They've done a nice job improving their linebackers and have tweaked the secondary but both areas aren't nearly in the same spot talent-wise as the front four. I think they'll be factors in games but they still don't have a complete defense at this point.

5. Does Delmas emerge as an elite safety this year?

Kind of a carry over from the last question...is Louis Delmas a rising star at safety? The story can be said about several guys on this team...when he's on the field, he's excellent. He's had groin problems most of last year but still finished as the team's leading tackler. Considering they still don't have a strong linebacking corps on the level of the front line...Delmas plays such a key role in stopping the run and the pass. I consider him the x-factor the defense. I don't think they push for .500 without him being healthy. They don't have a lot of depth in the secondary and he's a guy that can't afford to be banged up. His style of play is a lot like Sanders or Polamalu where being a human missile will take its toll and it's hard to stay healthy when so much of their game is about being physical.

2011 Prediction: 8-8, 3rd place in the NFC North
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

jiminphilly wrote:1. If Vick has to miss more than two games, this team won't make the playoffs. Their defense has improved but their bread and butter is their offense. It's what makes their team go. They have no viable backup.
Uh, hello?

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

That's right.

Crack on V. Young, yes, but make no mistake - the guy has a high winning pct as an NFLer for a reason.
He does a lot of things right.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:That's right.

Crack on V. Young, yes, but make no mistake - the guy has a high winning pct as an NFLer for a reason.
He does a lot of things right.
I thought bringing him in was a brilliant move. His game is certainly more similar to Vick's than Kolb's, so I think it would be pretty easy for him to step in for a few games and not force the rest of the unit to adjust to a totally different style of play.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:2. Cornerback: Nnamdi is a pretty significant loss.
D-backs are getting lit up in training camp, which is a different story from recent years.
Give this until week 3 of preseason, too, and if it looks shaky, I'll be concerned.
I thought Rod Woodson was an interesting hire. He was always a very smart and well prepared player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a coach. He's got to have a little something to work with, though.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Updated thoughts after preseason game one.

poptart wrote:Regarding the Raiders, I'll give you the cliff notes version, because I know you aren't interested in reading the rambling analysis of some internet dipshit named poptart, anyway.

From 1-5, with 1 bringing the most concern.

1. O-Line: I had almost the same exact concerns last season and things shaped up well in run-blocking and not so well in pass protection.
Lost Gallery and Walker.
Starters Satele, Veldheer, and Carlisle return.
Two rookies drafted and some other 'spares' brought in.
If this new group doesn't start to take shape by preseason game 3, I'll officially be getting concerned.
K. Barnes isn't going to cut it at RT.
The two rookies held up ok.
This line is still a big area of concern.

2. Cornerback: Nnamdi is a pretty significant loss.
D-backfield didn't look good.
Too much youth.
We need a capable vet at corner, imo, or we might have season-long issues.

3. Stop the run?: Have we ever?
Hue says the buck stops with him and we WILL stop it this year.
Hmmmm....
Hard to say.
The 'tardinals went over 100 on the ground, I think.

4. Campbell in year two with the young receivers: Miller was his most reliable target and he's replaced by K. Boss.
Jacoby Ford really came on last season and made a lot of big plays for us.
I expect more of that and hope one or two of the other kids can step up and be legit for us.
We need it.
Passing game looked pretty good with all three QBs and this is different than the past few seasons.
Definitely encouraging.
Chaz has a 'knee' injury. LOL
Raider fans knows why I am laffing.

5. Rookie head coach Hue Jackson: Will he win?
I feel better about him than any Raider coach since Gruden.
He's got smarts, energy, toughness, a vision, and seems to know how to handle the old man.
I like the way he's run training camp - he's building a physical team.
Time will tell if we see bottom line results from him.
Way too early to make a judgement on Hue.

O-Line and D-Backfield remain the biggest stand-out areas to watch.