Rump Roast PET

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Rump Roast PET

Post by mvscal »

Reposted from .net:

I was a little fired up after soeagle's eye of round thread so I decided to motor over to the local butcher shop, El Toro Meats, to score an eye roast for myself.

I rolled in brimming with confidence and walked up to the counter and smoothly asked for "an eye roast...bout two and half to three pounds" and feigned boredom while I looked at the case. My facade quickly crumbled when he said they usually have eye roasts but not today. Bastards. Now I know where the top fistfuckers at Arby's go after they graduate. I ended up paying about ten dollars more than I was looking to spend and walked out with a sore ass and a three and half pound rump roast. Well, fuck. I don't know how to cook a rump roast. I'll do web search and play it by ear. So...

Preheat the oven to 500 for at least a half hour. Then brush the roast with oil and season it with a generous amount of kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder.

Put the roast directly on the grate for 20 minutes. After that put it on a rack over a roasting pan containing 2 cups beef broth, half cup of wine, a chopped onion, 2 carrots and a couple bay leaves to moisten the roast while it cooks and form the base for your au jus. Touch up the roast with a little more oil and put it back in the oven.

Turn the oven down to 275 and cook for at least 20 minutes per pound for rare. My FUCKING FAMILY doesn't like rare beef so I cooked this 3.5 pounder for 1 hour at 275, then upped it to 325 for 30 minutes. I served it with some skillet fried taters.

To make the au jus just strain off the roasting pan juices, make a cornstarch slurry with about 2 tsp or so cornstarch and a little cold water. Bring it to a boil for a couple minutes and adjust seasoning.

Meat and potatoes, bitches.

It was tender, moist and some of the best roast beef I have ever fucking had. I definitely recommend this technique for cooking a roast.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Rump Roast PET

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Excellent. I'll be trying this soon.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Excellent. I'll be trying this soon.
What about your FUCKING FAMILY?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

That looks purrrfectly cooked.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

trev, do you have a PET of your rump that you'd like to share?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:trev, do you have a PET of your rump that you'd like to share?
I think we've seen enough sliced roast beef in this thread.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I have a decent rump roast. But I will try this one. You really can't mess up a rump roast.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote: You really can't mess up a rump roast.
I beg to differ on that. You never had my grandmother's roast. Rump roast is a pretty lean cut of beef and it isn't too tough to come out with a dried out roast with the flavor and consistency of a football.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Try this sometime for the next step up...

screw cranking the over to sear it.

Get a bigazz skillet, put some oil (referably EVOO), and get that fucker screamin-hot. Throw in some garlic, spices, and then a splashof red wine... whatever.

With a fork (or your hand), brown the hell out of the entire outside of the roast.

Wrap itin foil.

Stick it in the oven at 200... will take a few hours... that's what meat thermometers are for.

Best way to cook a roast (indoors, anyway). Keeping the temp below water's boiling point makes a big difference.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Try this sometime for the next step up...

Get a bigazz skillet dutch oven, put some oil (referably EVOO), and get that fucker screamin-hot. Throw in some garlic, spices, and then a splashof red wine... whatever.

With a fork (or your hand), brown the hell out of the entire outside of the roast.

Wrap itin foil. Put the lid on the dutch oven.

Stick it in the oven at 200... will take a few hours... that's what meat thermometers are for.

Best way to cook a roast (indoors, anyway). Keeping the temp below water's boiling point makes a big difference.
ftfy from a cleanliness and safety perspective. Bought a Le Crouset dutch oven for roasts and pork loins to cook in this manner. Love it.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Try this sometime for the next step up...

Get a bigazz skillet, put some oil (referably EVOO), and get that fucker screamin-hot. Throw in some garlic, spices, and then a splashof red wine... whatever.
It's not really a step up, though. It browns much more evenly in a hot oven with much less hassle as you can see from the picture. I use a heavy enameled cast iron casserole (5 qt oval) for braising.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

This might be great for a rumpleroast but I would never wrap a prime rib in foil. Sear at high temp, and roast slowly in a shallow roasting pan just large enough to contain the roast.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:This might be great for a rumpleroast but I would never wrap a prime rib in foil.
You shouldn't even wrap a rump roast in foil. Just roast it on a rack over a roasting pan with stock or water like I demonstrated above. That keeps the oven plenty humid.