WCHA is toast

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

WCHA is toast

Post by Goober McTuber »

Growing unrest in the most dominant organization in men’s college hockey paved the way for the creation of a brand new league.

Five members of the once-formidable Western Collegiate Hockey Association made it official Wednesday when their representatives gathered in a Colorado Springs, Colo., landmark and outlined plans for a new league scheduled to be up and running in 2013-14.

The National Collegiate Hockey Conference includes Colorado College, Denver, Minnesota-Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota from the WCHA and Central Collegiate Hockey Association power Miami (Ohio).

Their exodus was mapped out less than four months after it was announced Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin will leave the WCHA to join the new Big Ten Conference, also debuting in 2013-14.

The two developments have triggered massive change that’s still ongoing and hard feelings that will make it a challenge for many to cross the bridge that spans the next two years.

“It’s going to be tenuous,” said Sean Frazier, the UW deputy athletic director who oversees the men’s and women’s programs. “We all need calmer heads.”

While the UW men’s program will close out an affiliation with the WCHA that began in 1969, the women’s program will continue to operate indefinitely in the league because the Big Ten only has four women’s teams — including Penn State, which debuts in 2012-13 — and needs six for conference sponsorship.

Walter Dickey, the UW Athletic Board chair, lamented the fact that many failed to heed the warning that the Big Ten would eventually sponsor men’s hockey.

“When we said these things three years ago, it was (with) an eye toward trying to solidify and consider all the options because there are an awful lot of forces at work here that are not helpful to college hockey,” he said.

“This has been a lot of change,” said Jennifer Heppel, the associate commissioner for Big Ten governance who will oversee the new men’s hockey product. “Change makes people nervous.

“But we’re all professionals and we’re working for the good of our schools, our conferences and the game.”

Three months after expressions of unity were heard during the annual American Hockey Coaches Association convention in Florida, it was learned that some of the long-running acts in the WCHA were looking to leave. CC, Denver and North Dakota were original members of the league in 1959, while Duluth joined in 1965, but the advent of the Big Ten and its big-school lineup seemingly pushed them to try and find a way to keep pace.

“None of us saw this happening while we were at the meetings down in (Marco Island),” said Frazier, chair of the NCAA ice hockey committee. “There was a lot of talk. Now the talk is backed up with action.

“A lot of people thought they had some of what I would call honest dialogue that was going across that really wasn’t honest dialogue. There was a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff.”

During a press conference at the historic Penrose House, North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison said there was no one tipping point for the schools striking out on their own.

“It’s been a very measured, involved process,” he said.

But two developments at the AHCA meeting may be straws that broke the camel’s back.

There was sentiment from multiple schools that WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod needed to step down, but a college hockey source speaking on the condition of anonymity due to the volatile nature of the discussions said that while “people inched up to that line, no one crossed it.”

When the discussion turned to schools possibly pulling out of the WCHA, one of the small-school athletic directors made a motion that called for a six-figure fine to be imposed on all defectors, a point confirmed Wednesday by Faison. The sanction idea was supported by another small-school AD but subsequently withdrawn.

McLeod, the commissioner since 1994, issued a melancholy statement Wednesday, saying “it’s a tough day for the WCHA and a sad day for me personally.”

The six schools committed to the NCHC have won 17 national titles, including seven apiece from Denver and North Dakota. Duluth claimed its first NCAA crown in April.

Notre Dame out of the CCHA is being wooed by the new league. Western Michigan, another CCHA member, is lobbying to be a member as well.

The WCHA and CCHA are wobbling, as the defections will leave the WCHA as presently constructed with five members — one short of the number required for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament — and an additional two losses would also leave the CCHA at five schools.

Denver coach George Gwozdecky said the NCHC is an “important” and “necessary” addition to the college hockey landscape.

Kalamazoo Tech is seeking to bring up the rear of another college hockey conference.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: WCHA is toast

Post by indyfrisco »

Now why would Nebraska join some other conference and not get an invite to their own Big 10 conference? Makes no sense.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's Nebraska-Omaha, not NU.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

:doh:
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

IndyFrisco wrote:Now why would Nebraska join some other conference and not get an invite to their own Big 10 conference? Makes no sense.
:lol:

Time to brush up on your reading skillz, Nancy.

Gobbles, what a shit name for the new "Super League." Christ almighty. Kalamazoo Tech is in quite a pickle, though. That is true. Either dominate the emasculated CCHA or join the "Super League" down the line or quite possibly another brand new league.

Enjoy being the new Big 11 League's bitch, though. WMU will be nobody's bitch.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

You are, as per usual, throughly delusional. The Badgers will do just fine in their new league, consistently battling for the title. In your other hand, a steady diet of North Dakota, Miami (Ohio), UMD and the Colorado schools should ensure 20-loss seasons for WMU for the foreseeable future.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Consume a Drain-O smoothie, shitstain. I doubt WMU would join the Super League but it is still a possibility. I think WMU is waiting on what ND decides to do first. I think ND is recruiting potential members for a new league so they can regularly schedule the Big 11 teams.

Remind me. Did Wisconsin make the tournament last season?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

It’s pretty difficult to make the tournament every year when your underclassmen keep turning pro. Not so much so this year, so we should be in good shape this fall.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Kinda figured we'd see some more shifting amongst the leagues following the Big Ten conference becoming a reality...a group of teams in that new conference, that's for sure. Miami could've stuck it out with the CCHA and battled with Notre Dame, Ferris and Western. I do like the super conference concept...but it means one less at-large for the tournament.

As for Western...Screw, sorry for the Wings stealing your coach away. Babs needed two new assistants after MacLean left for Ottawa and McCrimmon wasn't going to be retained. Blashill looked like a star on the rise but that rebuilding of the Broncos isn't going to last long unless he's got a hot assistant to take over he left off.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Oh, fuck.

Mike Eaves has lost enough underclassmen to the pros over the years that the University of Wisconsin men’s hockey coach knows not to get his offseason hopes too high.

But Eaves admits he got lulled into a false sense of security with Craig Smith, the junior center from Madison who announced Thursday he will bypass his final two years of eligibility to sign an NHL contract with Nashville.

On multiple occasions since the end of last season, Smith insisted he would be back with the Badgers after leading them in goals as a sophomore. He was elected co-captain along with junior defenseman John Ramage and the two went so far as to sign a lease on an apartment for the fall.

Eaves was skeptical, especially after Smith starred for Team USA in the World Championships in May, holding his own playing with and against NHL-caliber talent. After all, Eaves has had 14 underclassmen leave for the pro ranks since 2004, including one on the first day of fall semester classes.

“I thought that until I looked him in the eye when he signed the lease,” Eaves said of Smith. “He came right back, talked to Rammer and they went out and found a spot.”

But things changed after Smith, 21, attended Nashville’s camp for its prospects, which ended Sunday. Smith, a strong skater with an excellent shot, was a fourth-round draft pick of the Predators in 2009.

“Before he went there, he was firmly here with us,” Eaves said.

“I was so comfortable with coming back,” Smith said. “But this opportunity that I have before me — basically (evolving) over the last couple weeks — has grown to the point where I can’t sit back and look past that.

“I had to look down deep into myself to find out what I wanted and what’s right for me.”

Smith said Nashville officials were OK with him returning to school, but their outlook changed when veteran forwards Marcel Goc and Joel Ward signed free-agent contracts elsewhere earlier this month.

Eaves said Smith didn’t get any guarantees of playing time from Nashville — its top minor league team is in Milwaukee — but he has a good chance of reaching the NHL in 2011-12.

“It’s tough to turn away from what I have in front of me for next season,” Smith said.

If Smith gets to the NHL, he’ll have a chance to skate with two former UW standouts: winger Blake Geoffrion and defenseman Ryan Suter, also a Madison native.

Smith is the third underclassman to leave the Badgers since the season ended in March. Junior defenseman Jake Gardiner signed an NHL contract with Toronto, while junior winger Jordy Murray signed to play with Rapperswil-Jona of the Swiss Elite League.

The loss of Smith is significant to UW, which was expecting him to provide a potent one-two scoring punch with junior All-America defenseman Justin Schultz. It would have marked the first time since 2005-06 the Badgers returned their top goal-scorer (Smith had 19) and point-producer (Schultz had 47).

Eaves said he met Thursday with the remaining captains — Ramage, Schultz and junior winger Ryan Little — and came away encouraged by their we’ll-be-OK attitude. Summer conditioning sessions will give way to a new season Oct. 7 when Northern Michigan comes to the Kohl Center.

Despite massive inexperience in goal, the Badgers had the makings of a top-three team in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association before Smith left.

“Obviously you lose that production and that leadership, so we come out of the gates a little greener,” Eaves said.

UW has five forwards among its nine freshmen. Eaves said he doesn’t plan to add another winger or center for next season.

Smith said leaving UW is necessary but not easy.

“It’s my hometown,” he said. “I’ve always wanted to play here and I got a chance to do that and I was truly grateful for that.”

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Wisconsin = the Kentucky Wildcats of college hockey
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I wish Mark Johnson had been named the men’s hockey coach. You don’t see any of his players leaving early.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Wisconsin = the Kentucky Wildcats of college hockey
Bwaha. Rack.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:As for Western...Screw, sorry for the Wings stealing your coach away. Babs needed two new assistants after MacLean left for Ottawa and McCrimmon wasn't going to be retained. Blashill looked like a star on the rise but that rebuilding of the Broncos isn't going to last long unless he's got a hot assistant to take over he left off.
Thanks for your condolences, Shoalz. It's not just WMU losing Blashill but the entire turn of events. After 10-12 years of mediocre to awful Bronco hockey, when we finally get a team and a coach worth a shit, when it is OUR TURN to return all the beatdowns to scU-M, MSU, ND and compete for CCHA titles, we are stripped of that opportunity not only by losing our coach but the CCHA dissolving.

The CCHA was truly a special league. Big 11, MAC and D-2 Yooper schools all playing for the same title. It had to end sometime.

I hope the UP schools land on their feet. We will never see again what Jeff Jackson had at Lake State in the early 90s (and Comley for his stretch at NMU). Then again, Tech fans went through this way earlier.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WMU to the gax-named hockey conference with Denver, Col College, North Dakota, NE-Omaha, Miami and NOTRE DAME. You watch it.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:WMU to the gax-named hockey conference with Denver, Col College, North Dakota, NE-Omaha, Miami and NOTRE DAME. You watch it.
Goober McTuber wrote:a steady diet of North Dakota, Miami (Ohio), UMD and the Colorado schools should ensure 20-loss seasons for WMU for the foreseeable future.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Who backs down from a challenge? Oh that right, Gobbles McTubesteak does.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And what challenge is that? To slap you upside your misshapen head? Again? Not bloody likely.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I wouldn't mind if WMU ended up in the merged WCHA/CCHA. They'd dominate the new league and make the tournament 8 out of 10 years while Whisky is busy getting piledriven in the new Big 11 league. But they'd be collecting all that TV money and putting 15k in the Cunt Center, so nobody in Madison would care.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

You are monumentally delusional. Quit huffing the urinal cakes, mop-jockey.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

When you guys are fighting to stay out of the Big 11 basement, will you tards keep filling up the Cunt Center? Is Madison really that boring where you guys will sell-out the place to see shitty hockey?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The Big 10 basement? I think not. How many national championships does Kalamazoo Tech have? Oh yeah, just six less than Wisconsin. Every year the Kohl Center showcases numerous Badger players who are stopping by on their way to the NHL. Stop back in 10 years and we can reminisce about the 4 or 5 Big 10 hockey titles the Badgers have won.

Die in a autoerotic asphyxia experiment gone wrong, gasper.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Die in a autoerotic asphyxia experiment gone wrong, gasper.

Well if Whisky is having problems retaining players, probably time to start recruiting players who are going to stick around for a while, right? Fucking idiot.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Die in a autoerotic asphyxia experiment gone wrong, gasper.

Well if Whisky is having problems retaining players, probably time to start recruiting players who are going to stick around for a while, right? Fucking idiot.
Yeah, right. Then we’d wind up with the kind of players that go to Kalamazoo Tech and have no pro potential. Mo-ron.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

So you're satisfied with the status quo--->not making the tournament? Got it.

Fucking idiot.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

We’d have less of a chance with crappy players. Look, we’re used to making the tournament; it’s an aberration when we don’t. In case you’ve forgotten, we were in the final two years ago and won it all just five years ago. We have won more titles than your school has appearances.

Weapons grade retard.