This is fukking freaking me out

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

This is fukking freaking me out

Post by Mikey »

As some of you may remember I had two metal-on metal hip replacements installed in February and March because of pretty sever osteoarthritis. Things are going better than I ever could have expected. I'll be done with physicaly therapy next week. My strength and flexibility have come back to where they're better than they've been in years. No limp, no pain. Even the lower back pain I was having the past few years is completely gone.

I went on a five mile hike yesterday morning up a local mountain with a 1500 foot vertical rise. That's pretty damn steep, and the trail is not only steep but pretty rough in places.

Here's a view from the top, looking over Fallbrook where I live, to the ocean way off in the distance. The trailhead is where the freeway and the road in the lower right hand corner cross.

I was pretty impressed that my hips didn't bother me at all. Like I said they're stronger than any time in memory. The most pain was in my knees from the steep descent. After the hike I went shopping at the farmers market, Costco and the grocery store, came home and sat in the spa, and then jumped in the pool to cool off.

So - - here's what's freaking me out. As I was climbing up the steps to get out of the pool my left hip squeaked. I could hear it AND feel it vibrate. Not just a little squeak that only I could hear, it sounded sort of like a rusty hinge. The wife was sitting there 10 or 15 feet away and it was loud enough to cause a double take. I was thinking "woah WTF was that?" So I got back down into the pool and climbed the steps again. It squeaked again on two of the five steps. Got in and out of the pool maybe half a dozen times and it squeaked about 50% of the time.

It was sort of scary at first but then I thought that if I could control it, it might be pretty cool. How many people have a joint that can squeak on demand? I mean, I've heard of creaky joints. But joints that actually squeak? Could I learn to control the pitch, actually play a tune?

It doesn't squeak when I walk, and it didn't squeak any more last night. This morning when I got up I realized that when I bend over like I'm picking something up I can make it squeak. Sometimes now it squeaks when I get up from a chair.

Not sure if I like this or not...
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Re: This is fukking freaking me out

Post by Trampis »

As a likely future canidate for a hip replacement, reading your post nearly made me pass out. :oops:

Rack you for being pain free and able to hike to such fine vistas, and for supporting your local farmers market 8)
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Trampis wrote:As a likely future canidate for a hip replacement...
If you ever get to the point where you're seriously considering getting something done, you should consider a procedure called "Birmingham Hip Resurfacing" as an alternative to total hip replacement. It saves a lot more bone and gives you better range of motion after the surgery. It's a relatively new alternative (at least in the US, but not so much in the rest of the world) and probably only 10% or so of US ortho surgeons are trained to do it. The ones that aren't will almost never recommend it - so always get multiple opinions.
It could make you squeak, though.

Let me know if you ever want more info.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

That is freaky. My husbands hip replacement doesn't squeak.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:That is freaky. My husbands hip replacement doesn't squeak.
Does he have a "metal on metal" replacement or is it metal on polyethylene?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mikey wrote:As I was climbing up the steps to get out of the pool my left hip squeaked. I could hear it AND feel it vibrate. Not just a little squeak that only I could hear, it sounded sort of like a rusty hinge. The wife was sitting there 10 or 15 feet away and it was loud enough to cause a double take.
get out, get out while there's still time
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

It's definately the bypass line. You're gonna need some pliars and some 30 weight ball bearings.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

R-Jack wrote:It's definately the bypass line. You're gonna need some pliars and some 30 weight ball bearings.

Rack any and all Fletch resets. Reminds me of an old wytch I did.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:So - - here's what's freaking me out. As I was climbing up the steps to get out of the pool my left hip squeaked. I could hear it AND feel it vibrate. Not just a little squeak that only I could hear, it sounded sort of like a rusty hinge. The wife was sitting there 10 or 15 feet away and it was loud enough to cause a double take. I was thinking "woah WTF was that?" So I got back down into the pool and climbed the steps again. It squeaked again on two of the five steps. Got in and out of the pool maybe half a dozen times and it squeaked about 50% of the time.
That’s what happens when you don’t specify OEM parts.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Mikey wrote:
All I know is that it doesn't make noise.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mikey wrote:
Metal on polyethylene is for pussies.

sin

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

trev wrote:
Mikey wrote:
All I know is that it doesn't make noise.
So what you're saying is that he's not fucking you hard enough?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

jiminphilly wrote:
So what you're saying is that he's not fucking you hard enough?
I guess not. Do your hips squeak during sex? What other noises do your joints make?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

trev wrote: Do your hips squeak during sex? What other noises do your joints make?

anybody?
get out, get out while there's still time
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I hope it never comes to this...