2014 JFFL Champion

This game should be on ESPN tonight

Post by jiminphilly »

JJ tries to emulate mentor in duel with Halladay
Marlins, Phils aces meet in Miami for first time since Doc's perfecto
By Avi Zaleon / MLB.com | 5/9/2011 11:00 PM ET
Comments (71)

WSH@PHI: Halladay fans 10 in seven innings
Jimmy Rollins began the Phillies' series against the Marlins with a home run.

That set the tone for a game that included a total of 23 hits and a combined six runs in the first three innings.

Whereas big bats were on display for Game 1 of the series, Tuesday night's matchup at Sun Life Stadium will feature each squad's best starting pitcher, as the National League East's top two teams battle for division supremacy.

Defending NL Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay, who has led Philadelphia pitchers with a 5-1 record, will go up against Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson and his 1.68 ERA.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said he considers Johnson an elite pitcher.

"He's a big talent," Manuel said. "Good command with those pitches. The stuff he has, the fastball he's got, to command it like he does? It's pretty good."

Johnson is 3-1 on the season and leads the Florida rotation with 26 hits allowed and 46 strikeouts. However, he is coming off his first loss Thursday in St. Louis, giving up a season-high five runs on eight hits in 7 1/3 innings.

Last year in Philadelphia prior to the All-Star Game, Johnson said he asked Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee if Halladay would mind if he watched the ace's between-starts bullpen. Halladay said yes, and the two talked at the Midsummer Classic.

"That's the guy I was like a little brother to him," Johnson said. "I was following him around, trying to pick his brain about what he does after starts, in-between starts, stuff like that. The little things I've kind of added into my routine, that will help in the long run.

"It says a lot about his character and the kind of guy he is. As soon as I walked in, he said hi. I was like, 'Whoa! This is the Roy Halladay.' He's the guy you like to model yourself after."

Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said it is good for Johnson to be learning from one of the league's best.

"I think the difference between Halladay and JJ thus far is the longevity," Rodriguez said. "Roy Halladay has been doing it for a long time now. If JJ is going to follow and try to pick some knowledge from Halladay, I think he's the right guy."

Halladay is 18-1 with a 1.56 ERA against the NL East since joining the Phillies before the 2010 season. Halladay's lone NL East loss came against Johnson and the Marlins on June 10, 2010. The last time Halladay faced Johnson in Miami, Halladay pitched a perfect game.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: This game should be on ESPN tonight

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ESPN doesn't do Tuesday night baseball.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: This game should be on ESPN tonight

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Not even on the MLB Network 2nite either:

8:00 p.m. MLBN Special Baseball Live St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs or Cincinnati Reds @ Houston Astros (subject to blackout in local areas)

Oh well.