seems like some real talk: Mark Turgeon to the Terps?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

seems like some real talk: Mark Turgeon to the Terps?

Post by King Crimson »

gotta think Turgeon was #1 on the Kansas post-Self scenario.....

he was a complete dick as a player, but i give the guy credit for bridging the gap after Gillespie......that was no small feat. not like ATM is any kind of trad hoops school.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Re: seems like some real talk: Mark Turgeon to the Terps?

Post by Bizzarofelice »

i think turgeon should wait for a job bigger than maryland
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp? ... forum_id=7

turgeon apparently meeting with his assistants tonight.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bizzarofelice wrote:i think turgeon should wait for a job bigger than maryland
Maryland is a good gig, third best in the ACC. It's much better now that Debbie Yow isn't around to play feminine power plays and games with the head coach and if the new coach wants to cheat do whatever it takes to win, management might oblige him.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:i think turgeon should wait for a job bigger than maryland
Maryland is a good gig, third best in the ACC. It's much better now that Debbie Yow isn't around to play feminine power plays and games with the head coach and if the new coach wants to cheat do whatever it takes to win, management might oblige him.
UM is a good gig, but as far as the ACC goes....id argue there's a plenty big drop between UNC and Duke and being #3. with the way Texas HS basketball has exploded in the last decade and ATM's deep pockets, i thought Turgeon would stay. he's got to be #1 to replace Bill Self at Kansas down the road (which is surely the endgame)....unless he tanks and Tad Boyle gets hot at CU. But, Boyle was a much less iconic player at KU than Turgeon and was part of the Ted Owens era....which is not covered with lustre like Larry Brown's eventual 1988 NC. Turgeon wasn't on the 88 team, but did play for some good Brown teams.
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I suppose it's something of a feather in ND's cap that Brey, despite his background, never seriously considered the Maryland job.

That being said, if I had to choose between Brey and Carleton Scott not returning next season, I would've preferred to see Brey be the one to go.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I suppose it's something of a feather in ND's cap that Brey, despite his background, never seriously considered the Maryland job.
I was honestly surprised Brey never even considered the gig, nor even used it to get a raise out of ND. He must be making more money than I thought and his job security at ND is much greater than it would be at MD.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:I suppose it's something of a feather in ND's cap that Brey, despite his background, never seriously considered the Maryland job.
I was honestly surprised Brey never even considered the gig, nor even used it to get a raise out of ND. He must be making more money than I thought and his job security at ND is much greater than it would be at MD.
As recently as two years ago, Brey was in some real trouble in terms of keeping his job at ND, at least as far as the fanbase was concerned. What turned it around, I think, was the surprising run ND had in '10 after Harangody went down, plus this last regular season.

I don't have hard numbers on his salary, but from what I've gathered, he's not terribly well-paid compared to his colleagues. What hurts ND's program even worse, though, is that the facilities are sub-standard. Brey, unfortunately, has not rocked the boat nearly as much as he should, imho, in that regard, although that probably contributes to his job security. As far as practice facilities go, my suggestion has been, with the hockey team about to move into its own facility, that the north dome of the Joyce Center (previously used by the hockey team) should be converted into a basketball practice facility.

Brey was also mentioned for the job at NC State, btw. Imho, that would be a step down from the ND job at this juncture, although at one time that was the second-best job in the ACC, and with the right coach, it probably could go back to being no worse than the third- or fourth-best job in the conference.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Imho.
Why do you feel the need to clarify that it's your opinion that we're reading? Do you routinely copy/paste other's opinions and KCPaul them as your own?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Imho.
Why do you feel the need to clarify that it's your opinion that we're reading? Do you routinely copy/paste other's opinions and KCPaul them as your own?
If you read it in its proper context you would, or at least should, understand why.
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Brey, unfortunately, has not rocked the boat nearly as much as he should, imho, . . .
I was merely emphasizing that I don't think Brey has rocked the boat as much as he should have. Had I left out the imho, you or someone else likely would have chimed in with something along the lines of "How do you know?" I was merely opining that Brey has not done enough.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Imho, that would be a step down from the ND job at this juncture.
And why was it needed here? I get that it's your opinion... ya know, because you took the time to mash out the words and hit submit.

Do you also say shit like... "Personally... I think." It's redundant. Like this: Terry's post are shit.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Imho, that would be a step down from the ND job at this juncture.
And why was it needed here? I get that it's your opinion... ya know, because you took the time to mash out the words and hit submit.
Well, considering that about this time last year, you challenged me as to whether the ND job was a step up from Baylor (even though you kinda sorta admitted, later on, that it was). NC State has had a lot more success, historically speaking, than Baylor has.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Have you recently suffered any severe head trauma? I am asking, once again, why you felt the need to state "In My Humble Opinion" before mashing out your opinion.

You Nic is attached to the post. It's obviously your opinion. Schedule a CT Scan... immediately.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Is this the play-in game for the Last Word Whore Tournament? You guys are relentless.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Not looking for the last word here, Goobs. We both know that's your area of expertise. If you could read, you'd see I asked the same question 3 times. It's gone unanswered to this point.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And it truly is a burning question. I hope your find the answer you're looking for.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Not looking for the last word here, Goobs. We both know that's your area of expertise.
Goober and Dins are at the head of that particular class, no doubt. But you're not terribly far behind, from what I've seen.
If you could read, you'd see I asked the same question 3 times. It's gone unanswered to this point.
Actually, I did answer it, but since you seem either incapable of understanding my answer, or determined not to accept it, I'll dumb down my answer a little more.

As to your first nitpick, my use of imho was to differentiate the statement from a factual assessment. "Brey hasn't done enough to rock the boat for a facilities upgrade" reads like a statement of fact. Truth is, I've never met Brey (I was 14 years out of school by the time ND hired him), and I certainly don't follow him around all day every day and observe everything he does. I wanted to make it clear that was my opinion, which in this case was based on posts I've read on ND boards from other posters who have, or at least claim to have, more direct access to the program than I do.

As to the second statement, "ND's program is in better shape than NC State's program right now" is a bit of a judgment call, based on the current state of the program. OTOH, one certainly could point to the fact that NC State has two national championships compared to none for ND, and conclude that NC State has the better program. While the imho there may have been redundant, it was an acknowledgement that an argument could be made either way.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Terry in Crapchester wrote:While the imho there may have been redundant, it was an acknowledgement that an argument could be made either way.
Which can be said about any opinion, can it not? Good Lord, are you dense. That's why we log in here every day. To debate others takes (or opinions.) Are you really so fucked that you actually believe people take your word as gospel unless you slap an "imho" on it?

Can you find me one fucking instance where some moron actually wrote:Oh shit the great and mighty TiC has spoken. And get this!! There's no "imho" on his take either. Terry is laying the smack down... Run away!
:popcorn:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Not looking for the last word here, Goobs. We both know that's your area of expertise.
Goober and Dins are at the head of that particular class, no doubt. But you're not terribly far behind, from what I've seen.
Don't for a minute sell yourself short in this area.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

How does that Grateful Dead song go... Madison, too close to Kansas City?

Something like that.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Is this the play-in game for the Last Word Whore Tournament? You guys are relentless.
Play-in game? [/jimmora] It's the toilet bowl.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Terry in Crapchester wrote:While the imho there may have been redundant, it was an acknowledgement that an argument could be made either way.
Which can be said about any opinion, can it not? Good Lord, are you dense. That's why we log in here every day. To debate others takes (or opinions.) Are you really so fucked that you actually believe people take your word as gospel unless you slap an "imho" on it?

Can you find me one fucking instance where some moron actually wrote:Oh shit the great and mighty TiC has spoken. And get this!! There's no "imho" on his take either. Terry is laying the smack down... Run away!
:popcorn:
Jesus H. Christ on a cross, you're ridiculous. :meds: x infinity

My two imho's didn't take up nearly as much bandwidth as you've wasted here, btw.
How does that Grateful Dead song go... Madison, too close to Kansas City?

Something like that.
Well, at least we agree on that much.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

apparently, Andy Katz says that ATM contacted Jeff Van Gundy (kind of an interesting, sideways way of thinking...Houston Rockets cred in new basketball Texas), but JvG wasn't interested. word around Boulder is that ATM showed interest in Tad Boyle and he declined....but, from what i've seen around here about Boyle, he's not leaving CU for anything but maybe the KU job. and if he's in consideration for the KU job, he's got something going at CU that he might want to make his own. and plus, the guy went to the NIT Final Four with an NBA first round pick....Turgeon made the Sweet 16 at Wichita State. i like Boyle and i think CU will be competitive in the Pac....not enough data sample here to start throwing around ATM money.

you never know, as Rick Neuheisel said once: "i want to be the Joe Paterno of CU football". an amazingly strange comment in hindsight, since he replaced a guy who had won a split NC, was coming off several top 5 finishes and was basically God Times Two in Boulder. both literally, and figuratively.

apparently, ATM won't be able to buy what they seem to really want....and Turge assistant Spinelli (sp?) is well-thought of from what i hear. i don't think they can buy Buzz Williams out of his crazy Sweet 16 don't go to Oklahoma who is publicly naming you their #1 target contract....so Spinelli is not a bad first time hire default. it's pretty late in the process, nearly 2 months removed from the end of the season/coaching carousel. i guess Gary W. didn't do ATM any favors by cashing his check in mid May. you have talent on the roster, good recruits on the page, i might just say fuck it....and put my support behind Spinelli. this is a team that are legit contenders for the Big XII title with half of UT's team declaring for the draft, KU as well....KSU losing Pullen....OU is not good, OSU is middling so far with Ford....MU loses Mike Anderson.

can't disrespect the McDonald's assembly line at KU, but KSU and ATM are looking like the best of of the top half of the league on paper in May.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

meant to mention, apparently Turge is going after KSU "ace" recruiter Dalonte Hill.

Hill delivered Wally Judge, top 50 player and some others to KSU. Judge quit midseason. Martin didn't like that. last year KSU team had a chance to be really good before all the BS. and they were a really good team the year before with Pullen and the other big strong guard who's name i can't think of.....uhhh.

anyway looks like Martin is ready to let Hill go...maybe.

edit: Denis Clemente. the other guard.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Murray State's Billy Kennedy for the Ags. admit to not knowing much about him, but not a jaw dropper hire. doesn't mean it's a bad hire. lot of turnover in the Big XII since the Knight (Bobby), Sutton, Sampson, Gillespie (first time), Barnes, WIlliams/Self....heyday. hard to imagine the league being stronger than it was in the 00-05 years. Final Fours and Elite 8's with OU, OSU, UT, KU, MU (quin)....ATM and Tech with Sweet 16's (which hitherto, not happening). with Tech and OU bottoming out, and OSU treading water as a bubble type team so far under Ford and Sean Sutton sucking......despite BU coming on, sort of (looks like an NBA team, plays like an NIT--though i thought they could have beaten Duke in 2010 NCAA, should have been up double figures at halftime, but K v. Scott Drew is quite a mismatch and BU can't guard a stopsign on the perimeter)....balance may have moved north some. with KSU and MU (Anderson, not in love with the Haith hire but i don't think it's as bad as people think)....being good again. i thought Haith was a guy you interview for Colorado when they hired Bzdelik (who seemed like a complete dick at CU). obviously CU and NU are gonzo but Sadler and Boyle are as good as anyone both those schools have had in my lifetime. i think. Danny Nee, wildly under-respected in his time but NU has never won an NCAA game (that's a football school stat, huh?).....and best CU coach is....? Bill Blair or something. Hoiberg seems bullet-proof, finishes last in the conference and everyone still thinks he's great. kinda the Jeff Bzdelik effect....the guy runs off the best players on his team, finishes last 2 years in a row, and CU fans think he's great. while i went to a couple CU games a year during the 10+ years of Ricardo Patton, and still don't know what offense he ran.....except the stand around on the perimeter/jack a 3 early in the shot clock/or best player goes 1 on 4 dribble drive to the rim O....Rico finished in the middle of the league and had some decent teams. i never got why Bzdelik didn't get skewered by the local media. too busy copping at the free Broncos buffet and kissing Shanny's ass, i guess.
"