Five Guys

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Five Guys

Post by Mikey »

So I hear that some trashy East Coast franchise called "Five Guys" is planning a California invasion to try and run In 'n Out out of business.

Any of you strange talking faggot easterners ever hear of this outfit? If so, what gives...do they serve real meat or what?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Five Guys

Post by Dinsdale »

They made their way to these parts a year or two ago.

As far as fast food burgers go, they're very good.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

5 Guys is already in Stockton near the Lincon Center. My money is on In-N-Out if the two ever went hand to gland. The biggest differnce between the two is 5G is strictly a walk-in restaurant judging by the one I've seen, whereas In-N-Out caters to both drive thru customers and walk-ins.

The menu is largely the same, but at 5G your clothes will smell like you've been manning the Fry-o-lator all shift after you leave. Apparently the grill fan at the Stockton joint doesn't pull enough air.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Good Burger, way too expensive. 8 dollars for a burger and soda. In and Out kicks their ass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

had some last week when i was in gulfport. pretty good. what i like most about them is their bidness model. burgers and fries. that's it. mcdonalds became ginormous following this model then fukked it up. hopefully 5G won't. their cajun fries were pretty good also.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Good, but overpriced. Offer a ton of toppings for your burger, which is the appeal. Fries are always soggy.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Five Guys is overpriced? Only to dumbfucks who don't know what to order. Get the Junior Cheese with A1, jalapenos, cheese, lettuce and tomato. No soda or fries. $4.

Five Guys is a DC institution. The rest of you can go fuck yourselves.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

$4 for one junior burger? Yeah, that's overpriced.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's worth it. $4 in DC is pretty good. And if you knew jack shit, or at least what the fuck you were talking about, you'd know that the Junior Cheese at Five Guys isn't exactly the size of a double cheeseburger at McDonalds.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Screw_Michigan wrote:It's worth it. $4 in DC is pretty good. And if you knew jack shit, or at least what the fuck you were talking about, you'd know that the Junior Cheese at Five Guys isn't exactly the size of a double cheeseburger at McDonalds.

So let me get this straight... get the burger but no fries or tasty beverage to wash it down? That's your fucking strategy for a great fast food dining experience? Jules would be disappointed.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I believe it was Dins that once said that you can go to a dive and get a better burger than you can from a franchise.

We used to have the L.A. based "Tommy's World Famous Burgers" (not the fake "Tommies") makes great chili burgers and I'm now told they make great tamales. To this day they make the best franchise chili burgers.

"In~n~Out Burger" is known for making everything fresh and some people like it and some don't. I would get a double-double and a cheeseburger for under $5, nothing else and couldn't finish them. Then I would go across the street to the Chevron station and pay $0.85 for a 64oz refill.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Got a Five Guys right on my block here in Hoboken, place is money. I was out in Tempe for work about a month ago and noticed they opened one on Mill Ave near ASU, pretty close to a nearby Inn 'N Out.

I think the west coast has too many Inn 'N Out loyalists to ever be put in a tight spot, but in my opinion the 5G burger kicks its ass every day of the week. The patties are thicker and taste fresher, the bun isn't all crumply. And the fries? Not even close. Inn 'N Out fries are a joke. 5G cajun fries are the way to go.

5G wins easily.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Atomic Punk wrote:I believe it was Dins that once said that you can go to a dive and get a better burger than you can from a franchise.

Yup.

If I'm going to drop $8 on lunch, I'd just as soon sit at a bar, have a great greaseball, and wash it down with a beer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:I believe it was Dins that once said that you can go to a dive and get a better burger than you can from a franchise.

Yup.

If I'm going to drop $8 on lunch, I'd just as soon sit at a bar, have a great greaseball, and wash it down with a beer.
Place I worked at 30 or 35 years ago was like that. It was a German restaurant out in the sticks (but only a 5 minute drive from Del Mar), the burger at lunchtime was the best around. Slop on some Inglehoffer's Stone Ground, combo it with some home fries or German potato salad, and a Bitburger draft or a half liter bottle of Spaten Weissbier and you're good to go. Actually most of my lunch crowd was Bud drinkers, but there's no accounting for taste.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Inglehoffer's Stone Ground

RACK Inglehoffer.

Ain't from Germany -- it's from Beaverton (although I believe Beaverton Foods moved to Hillsboro).

Used to work about 2 or 3 doors down from there. I've eaten more Inglehoffer and Beaver (<---have fun with that) mustards and horseradish sauces than you can shake a stick at.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Roach wrote:In and Out sucks donkey ass. Their fries seem processed and cheap
We've been over this before. The reason In n Out's fries taste different from McD's or BK or even Five Guys is that In n Out makes their fries from FRESH potatoes. Hell, they're so fresh that if you look in the back while standing in line, you can watch an employee loading potatoes into the cutter and punching them through one at a time.

And it's no surprise that you and others think fresh fries don't taste good. You're conditioned to think that fries that are soaked in brine, flash-steamed, par-fried, frozen and shipped 2000 miles, are "normal".
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

L45, is Monty's restaurant still there when you cross the bridge from Scottsdale to Tempe over the Salt River. Monty's is/was on the right after you passed over the bridge.

So it was Dins that said that. He's right. If anyone watches that Guy Fieti show "Diners, Drive-In's and Dives," then I have yet to see any of those places do worse than any franchise slop. It may be because franchises try to cut costs and get away with anything to maximize profits... like a business should. However, small business owners wouldn't stay in business if they cut corners on quality.

For Mikey, I remember flying into Borrego Springs airfield with strong crosswinds and the right wing was about 30 to 40 degrees down to land on the right main and kept it until it stalled enough to let the other gear hit.

So I parked and saw this dive/cafe right nearby. This lady with a serious rack with high beams on gave me a menu and I ordered whatever their best burger was from her opinion. This is out in the desert of Southern CA and to this day it was better than anything I've ever had from a franchise. This place was in the middle of nowhere and it was better than anything you get from a drive-thru.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OCmike wrote:The reason In n Out's fries taste different from McD's or BK or even Five Guys is that In n Out makes their fries from FRESH potatoes.

Five Guys is fresh-cut.

Frozen potatoes make better fries anyway.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: So let me get this straight... get the burger but no fries or tasty beverage to wash it down? That's your fucking strategy for a great fast food dining experience? Jules would be disappointed.
Get water. $1.99 for soda is a rip-off.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

OCmike wrote:We've been over this before. The reason In n Out's fries taste different from McD's or BK or even Five Guys is that In n Out makes their fries from FRESH potatoes. Hell, they're so fresh that if you look in the back while standing in line, you can watch an employee loading potatoes into the cutter and punching them through one at a time.
How is that different from Five Guys? That's exactly how they're made as well. Freshness of ingredients is what they built their entire business model around. My only complaint with their fries is they're always soggy. I like a little crisp to my fries. I just thought I had a bad batch the first time around, but I've been to 3 different locations, and they're the same everywhere, all the time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: So let me get this straight... get the burger but no fries or tasty beverage to wash it down? That's your fucking strategy for a great fast food dining experience? Jules would be disappointed.
Here's a novel idea -- make a sammich.

Crazy idea, I know. But if I know I'm going to be wanting lunch, I make one. Homemade bread (thanks, bread machine), some mayo, mustard, meat, cheese. And that way, I'm not ingesting 8000 grams of fat for lunch.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

OCmike wrote:The reason In n Out's fries taste different from McD's or BK or even Five Guys is that In n Out makes their fries from FRESH potatoes.
Who gives a fuck? They still suck. They're dry, crunchless and tasteless.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I like a little crisp to my fries.

As a younger man, I was quite the deep-fryer chef. If it could be battered and fried, I was into it. Stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos being specialties.

Even if I'm going to make homemade fries, it's beneficial to make them beforehand, and freeze them. Much crispier.

My arteries appreciate me retiring the deep fryer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Here's a novel idea -- make a sammich.

Crazy idea, I know. But if I know I'm going to be wanting lunch, I make one. Homemade bread (thanks, bread machine), some mayo, mustard, meat, cheese. And that way, I'm not ingesting 8000 grams of fat for lunch.
'swhat I just got done doing. Ham & swiss on multi grain bread with Dijon mustard, mayo, tomato and some romaine. The only place I had to go to get it was the kitchen.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

If you want to mix quality & value, wait for The Habit to set up shop in your town.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

R-Jack wrote:Wait for The Habit to fly into your town.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

If you are ever in the nashville area and your cholesterol level isn't too horrible, try this place....

http://www.fatmos.com/

Couple trips to this place and a heart bypass or three will be in your future, but, it's worth it.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Five Guys kicks some serious ass. Yes, they are a mess. The bun does get a bit mangled from all the toppings I have put on mine, but I don't give a fuck. The patties are hand formed and fresh, and the regular burger is actually a double. What they refer to as their small burger (single patty) is bigger & beefier than the regular or large burger at many places. Their smallest order of fries is enough for at least two to share. They aren't crispy, but they're still good. Like Dins said, frozen taters make better fries, but they make theirs from fresh spuds.

I like In 'n' Out, too, but their fries do suck. The reason they suck is they use Kennebec potatoes, which are "widely grown for the single culinary purpose of producing potato chips." Shouldn't be used for fries.
Say Hey
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

R-Jack wrote:If you want to mix quality & value, wait for The Habit to set up shop in your town.
^^^ True dat. ^^^
Say Hey
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Ham & swiss on multi grain bread with Dijon mustard

Hopefully, it was Inglehoffer or Beaver, so you're supporting my local economy.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

There's a Five Guys in Greektown...grabbed a bacon cheeseburger and fries before a Wings game. I'm partial to the local Lou Niskers' but this was a damn good burger. I'm normally not a fan of Kraft singles on a burger but they did it right.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Tedious? Their menu is short and simple.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

what ^^^^^ said. burgers, fries, hotdogs. EOS. want a salad? GFY.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:short and simple
Why bring...never mind.
Say Hey
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

on the way back to the base after going to the gulfport 5G, I noticed a backyard burger. used to frequent them in nashville. they were quite good and had killer curly fries.

are they anywhere outside of SEC land?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Really?
http://www.fiveguys.com/menu.aspx

A Chinese takeout or a good Mexican restaurant's menu or a multi-paged wine list is tedious...I don't know how much easier a menu can get.

Not that I'd order beer there but is it common that Five Guy has draft beer? The one in Greektown had Bud Light and Miller Lite on tap in addition to soda. What a good burger joint needs chocolate shakes. A bacon cheeseburger (1/2 pound or more), onion rings and a chocolate shake...that's some good unhealthy shit right there!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Toddowen wrote: And as far as a burger, In-N-Out makes a much better one, as does Jack In The Box and Carls.
^^^^ WTF?

have you burned off all your tastebuds?

in & out is overhyped...I've eaten at them 3 times and wasn't overly impressed.....jack in the box sucks, and carls is the worst fucking burger I've ever had the displeasure of eating...once was definitely enough...

five guys is pretty decent, definitely better than in & out
get out, get out while there's still time
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:Not that I'd order beer there but is it common that Five Guy has draft beer? The one in Greektown had Bud Light and Miller Lite on tap in addition to soda.
None of the Five Guys I've been to in DC have beer.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Not that I'd order beer there but is it common that Five Guy has draft beer? The one in Greektown had Bud Light and Miller Lite on tap in addition to soda.
None of the Five Guys I've been with in DC have beer.
No one gives a flying fuck about your sex life.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:None of the Five Guys I've been with in DC have beer.
No one gives a flying fuck about your sex life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK