Bad News for the XII

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Bad News for the XII

Post by Truman »

Looks like the League got a whole lot better today

Good hire. Capel had turned OU into a shithouse, and Kruger wins everywhere he goes.

It'll be fun to see what the Zou Crew does with him when the Sooners come trotting into Mizzou Arena. One of my favorite posters from the old Antlers era looked something like this:

ImageImage
***********************************WHO'S SCARIER?!*****************************

Rack Joe Castiglione for getting his man.
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Bad News for the XII

Post by War Wagon »

Lon Kruger doesn't scare me.

sin,
Stormin' Norm
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm reasonably happy with the hire. if the anti-Capel hire was experience, they got a wheelbarrow full of that. now, if he could just bring Mitch Richmond with him. a 40 year old MR could have scored 10-12 a game for last year's Sooners.

4-5 top 150 recruits in the city of LV and Nevada Lon was already "in" on....so, let's see them in Norman. Oklahoma already has a nice history with Bishop Gorman HS in Vegas that currently educates 2 of those....with Ryan Reynolds and DeMarco Murray.

edit: and who is Mizzou gonna hire? I saw Steve Alford's name mentioned. that's not going to happen, but that he was even mentioned.....eesh.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't know what getting blasted by a shit head-case Illinois team in the first round says for your preparation skeelz.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:and who is Mizzou gonna hire?
Frank Haith, from Miami. :?

I guess it's true what they say... once you go black, you never go back.

Tigerboard is going apeshit calling for Alden to be fired.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:and who is Mizzou gonna hire?
Frank Haith, from Miami. :?

I guess it's true what they say... once you go black, you never go back.

Tigerboard is going apeshit calling for Alden to be fired.
At least you can give Alden credit for not hiring Steve Alford. I think Missouri State might have made the better hire in getting Paul Lusk from Purdue.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Truman wrote:Looks like the League got a whole lot better today

Good hire. Capel had turned OU into a shithouse, and Kruger wins everywhere he goes.
What happened in Norman wasn't totally Capel's fault, I wouldn't even give him the majority of the blame. He brought in some good classes but nobody stuck around in those classes and some turned out to be trouble. He dealt with the Sampson probation and still was able to clean up the mess and get Blake Griffin to come to Norman (which he likely was not if Kelvin had stayed) and got us to an elite 8 where we lost to the eventual national champions. Capel just had a really bad run of bad luck with players coming and going and had lost a lot of the cletus fan base.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Believe the Heupel wrote:So basically, Jeff Capel recruited one really really good player, so it's not his fault the program turned into complete shit? Let's not pretend Capel would have gotten Blake Griffin at OU had he not been 20 miles from campus with an older brother already there. Yeah, he wasn't coming if Kelvin was still at OU, but he also wasn't coming without those two factors.

He missed the NCAAs three out of five years.

Sure, he brought in Willie Warren, Tommy Mason-Griffin, and Tiny Gallon. Of course, all three of them left after one or two years (and didn't make NBA rosters), and even with those three McDonald's AAs on the court at the same time couldn't muster a winning record, much less an NCAA appearance.

The first rule of getting out of a hole is to stop fucking digging. While he was put in a bad situation by the probation, he sure as hell didn't have to make it worse. And it's not like he cleaned the place up, since we're currently under investigation over the recruitment of Tiny "I'm fucking worthless" Gallon.

Fuck Jeff Capel right in his immune-system-attacked colon. Call me Cletus all you want, but he's a shit coach who did a shit job at OU. He fooled me by riding Blake Griffin's back, admittedly.
He brought him to Norman when Kelvin couldn't is the bottom line.

Willie Warren is in the NBA; he is the back up PG for the Los Angeles Clippers. Tiny Gallon was one of the league leaders in multiple categories in the NBADL (he wasn't eligible for the NBA yet when he left). Tommy Mason-Griffin signed a contract to play with one of the top teams in European Ball and a yearly contender for the Euro Cup (also wasn't eligible for the NBA yet).
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't have a complete opinion about Capel. i want to like the guy and i want to say i think he deserved another year. part of me feels that way. but, winning 5 games in conference with those guys wasn't a small feat imo. according to my dad, who i trust, says this was the least talented OU team he's seen since the late 60's when he tried to walk-on. but, how Jeff ended up with this roster is on him, too. i thought we might go 0-16 or had a chance**.

however, the fact that Joe C. cut him loose (and nothing happens at OU without Boren's imprimatur)....tells me that separating OU from Capel was a cautionary move in the Gallon/Orende last name forget....situation.

also, worth mentioning, is the first words out of Castiglione's mouth at the presser were about attendance......and Jeff had lost the fans. not saying BtH is Cletus by using the term....but, Joe C needs Sooner Cletus and money gives him wood.

Kruger was a nice result after the fallout, i hope. he's saying all the right things. we'll see in November.

**as an opposing coach i would have installed some kind of diamond press or something and ran it at OU all night. last year's Sooners were the worst ball-handling team i've ever seen. we are up double digits in Ames and Hoiberg makes a nice move to pressure and we lucky to get to OT and somehow win. Blair was getting his pocket picked repeatedly by Keiton Page for chrissakes. watching Balbay abuse our guys on the D perimeter was sad. God bless Cade Davis (my g-parents lived in Elk City for a while)....but he couldn't dribble the ball more than 4 times under pressure without losing control.

Thunder being in town and being good is bad for both OU and OSU hoops.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Believe the Heupel wrote:How were they not eligible? Their graduating classes were both a year out. However, your statements hurt your argument. You're saying he had three NBA talent level kids on the roster at once and couldn't manage a winning record? Great coach.
He had those kids for one season and two of them were true freshman and I think you forget what all happened that season. Warren couldn't stay healthy. Gallon played very well for a true freshman but wasn't going to remain eligible after what came out with him and the street agent in high school. TMG refused to go to class and everything Capel tried to do to make him go to class didn't work; kid just refused to uphold his end of being a student-athlete.

Before this season ESPN was predicting OU to win one conference game, maybe two and Capel got us to five wins and a conference tourney win; split the series with OSU, took 2 of 3 from Baylor, and upset Colorado. We looked pretty competitive with a team that got the final four in Kentucky on a neutral court.