Taking Back The USA

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Y2K
Internet Overlord

Taking Back The USA

Post by Y2K »

I bought my kids HP/Compaqs for Xmas at 288 a machine,

The hard disk fails on one already so I call the 800 Customer Support #.

I get Haji who asked simple questions and I answer with simple answers... as in the Hard disk is trashed.

He HAS to have a hard disk failure number to verify my claim, I explain to him that booting a bad disk may short other parts of the motherboard and I refuse to boot the computer again regardless of the drive failure#. It says it's toast lets go with it. Haji has to have this number so I boot the machine and give it to him...:lol:

I tell him the screen went black then he transfers me to his boss Haji #2
I explain to Haji #2 that it's never a good idea to run a bad peice of harware and it may cause other problems. I lie about the black screen and

I get pissed and demand to talk to a HP rep in the states, I get transfered to Todd in San Diego office.

I have a new machine coming after a nice talk with Todd the rep here in the states.

New computer is on it's way with a complete software set up as a back up. Todd was way cool and easy to communicate with. I have a new warranty starting with the day I take delivery and register the computer.

Fuck this offshore shit, it's time we stand up and tell the companies we do busines with to give us great service or go get fucked without having to be transfered from some shit 3rd world craphole to people who can't do business the proper way and beg to be sent back to competent people in the US.

Get mad, Get Mean...enough is enough
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Re: Taking Back The USA

Post by trev »

Our health insurance went from Aetna HMO to Aetna HMO Value Plan. The difference, besides some doctors not accepting is that if you call on the "value plan" you get someone from the Philipines vs the regular HMO plan you get someone from California. :meds: I've tried saying I can't understand your accent and been transferred to the US.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Fuck that..demand to talk to someone that speaks fluent English.

I have had enough of this shit, People that work for the big companies have numbers that bypass the offshore garbage.

It's time we all had that service. If it cost them a couple extra dollars in their billion dollar profits? Fuck em.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Y2K wrote:Fuck that..demand to talk to someone that speaks fluent English.

I have had enough of this shit, People that work for the big companies have numbers that bypass the offshore garbage.

It's time we all had that service. If it cost them a couple extra dollars in their billion dollar profits? Fuck em.
That billion dollar profit is the corporation's God & god given right. Why do you hate America?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Y2K wrote:Fuck that..demand to talk to someone that speaks fluent English.

Let me cut to the chase for you. Your request would necessitate a lot of Big, Big Government. Are you down with that?

Ralph Nader racked your post, by the way.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Your mistake was in believing HP was an American company in the first place.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

For 288 clams you want a reliable, fully functional PC and english speaking tech support?

good luck.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Every Apple I have bought since 1981 has functioned properly. I guess they have customer support but I have never needed it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moving Sale wrote:Every Apple I have bought since 1981 has functioned properly. I guess they have customer support but I have never needed it.

You know your inferior Apple has the same HD as the HP, right?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

How much do backyard masonry jobs run folks in Fresno?

Someone like Jack might pay $19.95 for one, and then roll on the ground in abject tears when it turns out to be for shit.

What fucking happened to you, Fresno?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Dinsdale wrote: inferior Apple
Another day, more stupidity from our resident herpes infected blowhard. Keep it up dumbass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I explain to Haji #2 that it's never a good idea to run a bad peice of harware
Seriously, dude...is English really your native language?

Haji #2 recognized you for a godawful moron right away, put you on mute, and screamed

एलिमिनतेद

What did Todd in SD say when you told him about bad "harware"? Did he bitch about having to offer tech support to foreigners?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Moving Sale wrote:Every Apple I have bought
Why am I not surprised?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moving Sale wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: inferior Apple
Another day, more stupidity from our resident herpes infected blowhard. Keep it up dumbass.

You realize Intel-based PCs passed Apple in FLOPS years ago, and have never looked back, right?

Aplle doesn't even use the most recent Intel processors, dumbass.

If you'd like to try and make a subjective case thatApple offers a superior OS, feel free.

Hardware-wise... save it. The gap between the two gets bigger all the time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Martyred wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:Every Apple I have bought
Why am I not surprised?

Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

PSUFAN wrote:How much do backyard masonry jobs run folks in Fresno?

Someone like Jack might pay $19.95 for one, and then roll on the ground in abject tears when it turns out to be for shit.

What fucking happened to you, Fresno?
Shut the fuck up moron.

I ended up with a new computer and all the software once I decided that "Bob" in India wasn't the answer.
Todd in San Diego was the bomb and did the right thing regardless if all I spent was less than 3 bills on the machine.

People who put up with this offshore bullshit are tools, obviously you are in the forefront. I don't fucking care if you spent a fucking nickel on a part you deserve proper service, anyone who thinks otherwise and it's OK to get less is a clueless idiot.

Shut the fuck up and look at what Apple is doing when it comes to the PC business. 10 years ago when I owned a store I used to get this service from all my vendors, all the time without a "special" number to call, now it's a joke. Fuck that. Maybe Fresno Tards are a tad bit smarter than you asswipes in "The Burg." I would imagine I coulda shopped all this serious shit out out to Katy and Otis but at least I know the machine is mine and without any "problems"..... :D

The dumbfucks you get on HP/Compaq 800 line are no different than any tool that you would get living in PSU's area code,

Demand more.

It's like starting from the bottom...it can only get better from there.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Y2K wrote:I ended up with a new computer and all the software once I decided that "Bob" in India wasn't the answer.
Todd in San Diego was the bomb and did the right thing regardless if all I spent was less than 3 bills on the machine.
You bitch about offshore support, yet you obviously don't have a problem with buying machines made offshore. Ponderous.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Y2K wrote:I get pissed and demand to talk to a HP rep in the states, I get transfered to Todd in San Diego office.
The Todd was most likely the office manager of the first guy you talked to.

Ever see Outsourced? If not, I highly recommend it. Easily the funniest show on TV right now.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

People who put up with this offshore bullshit are tools me.
Fixed that for you, you pimply simpleton.

You spent under $300 for shitbox PCs for your kids. Let me break it to you - you get what you pay for.

You're lucky Hadji didn't just run you through with his scimitar or have his mom ululate your eardrum asunder through your SE Asian-made cricket phone, you smeg-encased cross-eyed douchebriquette.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Nice try skidmark,
I can buy a $25.00 Delta faucet made in fucking Dumbfuckistan and if I have the need to call a tech line I'll have someone who speaks English help me out. That's what we are talking about here non-asswipe. We deserve service, and as long as lemmings put up with their shit....? Shit is what you will recieve.
There isn't any reason for it other than braindead fucks who find this shit "acceptable", But hell you can't even wipe your own ass ...
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

We deserve service
Why, exactly? Because you demand it, or because you're willing to pay bottom dollar for it?

Or maybe because you're willing to support the kind of big government that it would take to ensure it? Yeah, that must be it.
as long as lemmings put up with their shit
Who exactly are you talking to, shithead? Last we checked YOU were the one buying cheap ass shit, not the rest of us. Wake the fuck up - the reason you can get a $300 computer is because it's made of shit and because they're not going to do shit for you when that shit breaks.

Now you're scooting around like a halfwit snail in a sticky cloud of your own vag foam, crying incessantly like a spoiled little girl because the other shoe fell.

Tell me, asshole, when did you develop the sense of entitlement that you were owed cheap electronics backed by excellent support and customer service?

One more time - YOU are the one supporting shit companies by buying their crap. Maybe you should have realized that a $300 price tag was a bad sign, sort of like the Victoria Secret tags AP left on the seat in the UHaul were a bad sign. Your actions have consequences, crying like a bitch about them solves nothing.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Ever see Outsourced? If not, I highly recommend it. Easily the funniest show on TV right now.
I watched the first episode.

It only confirmed my suspicion that it would be the worst idea for a show.

"Hey, the economy is in the shitter and lots of people are out of work. Let's rub it in by showing dothead telemarketers!"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:Btw - anybody got any ideas on this problem I've got? I've read a lot on it, but there's gotta be an easier way than what I see!
Easy start is to restore to a date before the update that screwed it up.

May or may not solve things, but easy place to start.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Next step is to say "dear god, Vista blows donkey chode" and throw an XP disk in it.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I've had exactly one PC shit the bed on me in my entire life. Anybody care to guess who made it?

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:
I've had exactly one PC shit the bed on me in my entire life. Anybody care to guess who made it?
Assemble is the correct term.

Except for the case / keys and motherboard everything else is components.

The biggest problem most consumers have is not getting enough memory to rum the OS with multiple programs going -
This was a hard drive that went south just outside of one year after buying it. No biggie. Learned my lesson and moved on.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

some very poor understandings of "globalization" in this thread. nationalism and a commitment to free markets are often contradictory. logics played out to their end....can't really have them both.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:Hard drives almost are all made by Seagate or Western Digital - just another component universally sourced by all the PC assemblers
I've had plenty of drives made by both companies. Yet the one that HP assembled turned to shit. There were other factors too. Like the way that HP cases are designed to make upgrading all but impossible. Now go ahead and give me the classic first grader defense of "uh, but everybody else does that too" and I will tell you that I don't give a damn what others are doing. Here in grownup land, we are talking about how crappy HP is, not how crappy everybody is.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote: I've had plenty of drives made by both companies. Yet the one that HP assembled turned to shit.
I'm neither defending or attacking HP, but chances are, the Average Joe has dealt with more HPs, and therefore has more anecdotal info on HPs.

I worked for an outfit that supplied a very very large company that everyone here is familiar with with their PCs (so many users, they went through as many as 30,000 a year). I handled literally hundreds of PCs a week, installing the Windows image. We could often tell when the HD wasn't right (we weren't responsible for warrantying them, so we'd beat on the noisy ones to get them to run and get it out the door -- working at a very small markup, large volume, and having to deal with a defective box resulted in a loss, and it wasn't our problem). While to HD is always the most likely source of a defect, since it has moving parts, it's still very rare. I could go days without finding one.

Although I won't even try to give anecdotal testimony (since I wasn't keeping stats, anecdotal would be all it is), but I don't think it was radically different from the Lenovos.
Like the way that HP cases are designed to make upgrading all but impossible.
First, HP ended the ultra-proprietary case stuff a few years ago. I think Dell (worst offender ever) gave up on that, too.

HP offers quite a few different case designs, some of them are as expandable as anything else, the workstation-oriented boxes, not so much. And nobody else's SFF is any better.

Other side of the coin, HP has always been the innovaters of case design that other companies emulate.

Matter of fact, HP now has the ultra-slim-form-factor (I believe it's USFF, but I could be mistaken), where the power supply is an external brick like a laptop, which makes the case much smaller, and makes the case cool better.... more BODE for HP cases (but forget about adding anything to those cases, but for an office environment, that's not what the purchasers are looking for).
Now go ahead and give me the classic first grader defense of "uh, but everybody else does that too" and I will tell you that I don't give a damn what others are doing.
What's "classic first grader" is saying "HP sucks because _____," and before the fact claim that any comparison to other equivalent products is irrelevant.

As far as buying bulk el-cheapos, few companies can compete with either the price or quality/functionality of HP. Lenovo gives it a whirl. We did ship a bunch of Dell netbooks, but they won a huge contract, and were able to keep their price down (and had some annoying quirks on our end), and I don't think HP or Lenovo was positioned to ship out cheap netbooks at that time.

Here in grownup land, we are talking about how crappy HP is, not how crappy everybody is.

Disagree. HP just dominates the el-cheapo office machine market, and therefore, they have more el-cheapos out there. They offer a wide range of products, and you'll get what you pay for, to an extent. Since there's more bottom-of-the-line HPs out there than any other brand, of course consumers will see more failures of low-end HPs. Simple math.

And again, I've handled literally thousands of cheap HPs. If a person is trying to buy something at the very bottom of the price range, HP is the way to go. Lenovo isn't a bad choice either, but the don't go after the low-end home user market like HP does.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

My "new" (~ 3 months old) Dell work laptop developed a very loud cooling fan last week. We called up to get an RMA for the repair depot and I had to go through a 20 minute system check over the phone before Haji would give me the authorization. I told her I know what's wrong - the fan makes a lot of noise and everything else is fine - but I still had to sit there and watch the memory endlessly cycle. I should have tried kicking it first.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:My "new" (~ 3 months old) Dell work laptop developed a very loud cooling fan last week.

Must be a mistake, or you're lying -- only HPs have defects in moving parts.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Dell makes excellent PC's, if you don't know how to build them for yourself. I haven't used a PC since before I moved to New Jersey when I built a home network domain and used VNC to remote to my old net admin job.

Laptops are different animals. I remember Y2K telling me the IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPad's are what are used on the Space Shuttles and International Space Station. He told me they were designed like tanks and he was right. I think I gave him a 750 that we were throwing away to mess with back around 2001. If you watch NASA TV then you'll see they used IBM ThinkPads to this day.

After that I bought an IBM ThinkPad T-41 that took a beating for 6 years before the CPU fan died and overheated the MB. Back in the early 2000's I paid $2600 with a 3 yr tech support option. Since I told Hajii on tech support before they became Lenovo that I was an A+ certified tech, they would send me parts (screws, keyboards) all of the time. The only thing that really sucked about the ThinkPad's were the keyboards. The keys popped off easily and I still have a few spares.

I'm not impressed with any other manufacturer than IBM that makes laptops. I haven't followed the current history of the iMacs, so I wouldn't know what is being said about them now.

OS? Well, XP Pro has always been reliable. I saw the early version of Vista and it was a POS. I haven't heard anything about Windows 7 yet. XP Pro does everything I want and I'm still on Service Pack 3.

Heat is the biggest computer hardware killer. If you have a PC, open up the cabinet and look at all of the accumulated dust... especially on the power supply fan. Get some compressed air and blow it off.

When the T-41 died, I got on eBay and there is some company in San Jose, CA that was selling the older T-41/42's. After watching what they were eventually selling for, I got a T-42 overnight and free shipping for $340. Plus it had twice the RAM. This is the only thing I use right now.

Thank G0d and g0d I still have those bootable recovery disks Y2K gave me or I would have been screwed by software glitches over the years.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Atomic Punk wrote:I haven't heard anything about Windows 7 yet.
Do you live in a fucking cave?

Win7 is great as long as you have enough memory on board to handle the load. I would say no less than 4GB of memory and 8 GB would be a LOT better option.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:I haven't heard anything about Windows 7 yet.
Do you live in a fucking cave?

Win7 is great as long as you have enough memory on board to handle the load. I would say no less than 4GB of memory and 8 GB would be a LOT better option.
If you have a 64 bit processor, it's the way to go, bearing in mind your point about memory. I totally agree that 4G is minimum, more is better. And unlike XP, which limits you to your 3.35G or whatever it is (unless you run the POS known as XP64, which is generally only used for very specific applications), Win7 will recognize a shitload of RAM (64G??). Running your 64 bit at 64 bits gives a considerable, very noticeable performance boost, for sure.

If you're running a 32 bit processor, stick with the XP.

Installed Win7 on a bunch of netbooks. Made for a slow machine. If I got one that came with 7, I'd downgrade it to XP Pro.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote:
Funny but back in the PC heyday they were Dell before Dell was Dell
EMachines thinks you're full of shit... much like their boxes.

I typed this on an early P4-era Dell, BTW. One of those fuckers with the clamshell case... ridiculous. Fucker weighs like 75 pounds or something.

Had an extra set of guts (MB/processor,and POS RAMBUS memory), that Iwas going to make a "guest computer" out of. No amount of jury-rigging would make that MB fit in a normal ATX case (and I was more than willing to cut and bend and drill and maul as needed).

I believe Dell has gotten away from that (since it's a proven-loser business model), but...

Fuck Dell.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Dinsdale wrote: Installed Win7 on a bunch of netbooks. Made for a slow machine. If I got one that came with 7, I'd downgrade it to XP Pro.
Wow, good points! So is Windows 7 a resource hog? Like I've said, I haven't looked at it. Yes Bri, I only have 1 gig of RAM and yes it bogs me down when I run too many apps. I don't use this laptop for any "gaming" as I've burned out many years ago since the 8 y/o's learned how to cheat in online death matches, etc.

Just having a simple online connection, e-mail, a place to store documents and to d/l files onto my flash drives or CD-R's are all I need. AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot, Firefox, and a few other goodies to help the cause. Keeping current software and backing up files doesn't take much time.

Also, I bought a Seagate ext 1.5 TB drive a year ago for $99 at Costco. Good thing to have.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Atomic Punk wrote:AVG anti-virus

So, you're running that POS software on 1G RAM?

I'll await your answer to that question... sometime tomorrow.

Spybot has become quite the POS, and Adaware is a travesty.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Dinsdale wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:AVG anti-virus

So, you're running that POS software on 1G RAM?

I'll await your answer to that question... sometime tomorrow.

Spybot has become quite the POS, and Adaware is a travesty.
Yes... I never upgrade anything and have old versions when they've apparently worked for my purposes. I saw a new version of Ad-Aware on cnet today and I didn't d/l. I didn't see Spy bot as being listed there so the new one must suck.

Tell me about Win 7.

(edit for Dins) I have AVG run nightly @ 2 am. I think it runs for an hour but no big deal.
Last edited by Atomic Punk on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

bought a HP laptop about 5 years ago. unfortunately i bought it from compusa about a year before they went tits up, so i didn't get full use of the 3 year warranty i bought. it did pay off though as my daughter dropped it and broke the screen about 6 months after buying it.

it was a pretty decent machine for close to three years until everything started crapping out at once. i did have it repaired once through the mail after comp usa went under but, it was a major pain.

about a year and a half ago my daughter got a toshiba with Windows 7. i have been very impressed with it so far. bought an toshiba netbook last summer and am pleased with it as well. i think i may stick with toshiba till they give me a reason not to.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Atomic Punk wrote:
Tell me about Win 7.

Huge resource hog... but if you've got a 64 bit processor, your machine has resources to burn. Throw in the extra RAM, and enjoy the booya of 64 bit.

Win7 is pretty much Vista that works right.

Some of the features are a little different, but we've said that about every other next-gen system that's come along, so what else is new?

Setting up a workgroup becomes an act of congress, and when you get all pissed off that your card reader doesn't work, remember it's a "hidden device" by default (that one took a while).

But all in all, the benefits outweigh the bitches, if like I said, it's for 64 bit.

I'll ride my XP Pro/32 until it dies, but once Upgrade Day comes, Win7/64 is the way.