Losing our way

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Losing our way

Post by Goober McTuber »

By BOB HERBERT

So here we are pouring shiploads of cash into yet another war, this time in Libya, while simultaneously demolishing school budgets, closing libraries, laying off teachers and police officers, and generally letting the bottom fall out of the quality of life here at home.

Welcome to America in the second decade of the 21st century. An army of long-term unemployed workers is spread across the land, the human fallout from the Great Recession and long years of misguided economic policies. Optimism is in short supply. The few jobs now being created too often pay a pittance, not nearly enough to pry open the doors to a middle-class standard of living.

Arthur Miller, echoing the poet Archibald MacLeish, liked to say that the essence of America was its promises. That was a long time ago. Limitless greed, unrestrained corporate power and a ferocious addiction to foreign oil have led us to an era of perpetual war and economic decline. Young people today are staring at a future in which they will be less well off than their elders, a reversal of fortune that should send a shudder through everyone.

The U.S. has not just misplaced its priorities. When the most powerful country ever to inhabit the earth finds it so easy to plunge into the horror of warfare but almost impossible to find adequate work for its people or to properly educate its young, it has lost its way entirely.

Nearly 14 million Americans are jobless and the outlook for many of them is grim. Since there is just one job available for every five individuals looking for work, four of the five are out of luck. Instead of a land of opportunity, the U.S. is increasingly becoming a place of limited expectations. A college professor in Washington told me this week that graduates from his program were finding jobs, but they were not making very much money, certainly not enough to think about raising a family.

There is plenty of economic activity in the U.S., and plenty of wealth. But like greedy children, the folks at the top are seizing virtually all the marbles. Income and wealth inequality in the U.S. have reached stages that would make the third world blush. As the Economic Policy Institute has reported, the richest 10 percent of Americans received an unconscionable 100 percent of the average income growth in the years 2000 to 2007, the most recent extended period of economic expansion.

Americans behave as if this is somehow normal or acceptable. It shouldn’t be, and didn’t used to be. Through much of the post-World War II era, income distribution was far more equitable, with the top 10 percent of families accounting for just a third of average income growth, and the bottom 90 percent receiving two-thirds. That seems like ancient history now.

The current maldistribution of wealth is also scandalous. In 2009, the richest 5 percent claimed 63.5 percent of the nation’s wealth. The overwhelming majority, the bottom 80 percent, collectively held just 12.8 percent.

This inequality, in which an enormous segment of the population struggles while the fortunate few ride the gravy train, is a world-class recipe for social unrest. Downward mobility is an ever-shortening fuse leading to profound consequences.

A stark example of the fundamental unfairness that is now so widespread was in The New York Times on Friday under the headline: “G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether.” Despite profits of $14.2 billion — $5.1 billion from its operations in the United States — General Electric did not have to pay any U.S. taxes last year.

As The Times’ David Kocieniewski reported, “Its extraordinary success is based on an aggressive strategy that mixes fierce lobbying for tax breaks and innovative accounting that enables it to concentrate its profits offshore.”

G.E. is the nation’s largest corporation. Its chief executive, Jeffrey Immelt, is the leader of President Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. You can understand how ordinary workers might look at this cozy corporate-government arrangement and conclude that it is not fully committed to the best interests of working people.

Overwhelming imbalances in wealth and income inevitably result in enormous imbalances of political power. So the corporations and the very wealthy continue to do well. The employment crisis never gets addressed. The wars never end. And nation-building never gets a foothold here at home.

New ideas and new leadership have seldom been more urgently needed.

This is my last column for The New York Times after an exhilarating, nearly 18-year run. I’m off to write a book and expand my efforts on behalf of working people, the poor and others who are struggling in our society. My thanks to all the readers who have been so kind to me over the years.

But all of the right wing nutjobs that populate this board have no problem whatsoever with this.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Losing our way

Post by War Wagon »

Stick a sock in it, pussy.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

As the Economic Policy Institute has reported, the richest 10 percent of Americans received an unconscionable 100 percent of the average income growth in the years 2000 to 2007, the most recent extended period of economic expansion.
And Whitey's response is:

War Wagon wrote:Stick a sock in it, pussy.
Fitting.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Goober McTuber wrote:
By BOB HERBERT

So here we are pouring shiploads of cash into yet another war.......

Shiploads? :lol: How would this asshole characterize the billions that have been wasted by this and the previous administration?

go fuck yourself.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

88 wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:As the Economic Policy Institute has reported, the richest 10 percent of Americans received an unconscionable 100 percent of the average income growth in the years 2000 to 2007, the most recent extended period of economic expansion.
OK. I'll play. First off, what makes that at all unconscionable? Is there some rule or requirement out there that "average income growth" during periods of economic expansion must be distributed differently? How do you do that, aside from theft and other criminal means?
Probably because this so called economic expansion has only benefited that top ten percent. Everyone else's wages have either been stagnant or declining for the last forty years.

You think that is a recipe for long term economic prosperity? We are going to become Mexico if we continue down this path.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
88 wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:As the Economic Policy Institute has reported, the richest 10 percent of Americans received an unconscionable 100 percent of the average income growth in the years 2000 to 2007, the most recent extended period of economic expansion.
OK. I'll play. First off, what makes that at all unconscionable? Is there some rule or requirement out there that "average income growth" during periods of economic expansion must be distributed differently? How do you do that, aside from theft and other criminal means?
Probably because this so called economic expansion has only benefited that top ten percent. Everyone else's wages have either been stagnant or declining for the last forty years.

You think that is a recipe for long term economic prosperity? We are going to become Mexico if we continue down this path.
¡Bienvenidos a Mexico del Norte!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:Probably because this so called economic expansion has only benefited that top ten percent. Everyone else's wages have either been stagnant or declining for the last forty years.

:shock: :shock:

What the fuck are you on?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
mvscal wrote:Probably because this so called economic expansion has only benefited that top ten percent. Everyone else's wages have either been stagnant or declining for the last forty years.

Adobada and carnitas overdose?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Screw_Michigan wrote:

Reality ?
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Tom In VA wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:

Reality ?
:?

Doesn't fit into the fuck the middle class dogma the modern GOP has been spouting lately. Just wanted to make sure our friend was alright.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I've never perceived mvscal as "lockstep" with much of anything. Seems to be an intelligent individual who can read and make up his own mind about things.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Tom In VA wrote:I've never perceived mvscal as "lockstep" with much of anything. Seems to be an intelligent individual who can read and make up his own mind about things.
Agreed. Apparently 88, though obviously intelligent, is not quite as perceptive.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Oh, and Whitey is many things. Predictable is one of them. Intelligent is not.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

The first thing we need to do is keep American jobs in America. To do this we need to ease the regulatory burden on employers somewhat in order to make American labor more attractive and we need to ruthlessly punish corporations which continue to offshore jobs by voiding their registration and kicking them out of the country. You want access to American markets, you use American labor, you pay American tariffs or you can go fuck yourself because whatever the fuck it is you're selling, we don't need it.

Corporate persons such as GE should be the first to receive the death sentence. 14.2 billion in profit and didn't pay a dime in taxes? That's the wrong fucking answer. They should be seized and their assets liquidated. Oh yeah, you were saying something about theft and criminality? There you go.

The second thing we need to do is get illegals the fuck out of this country and keep them out. This can be accomplished by aggressive sweeps, the use of lethal force on the borders and draconian punishments for businesses which employ illegal labor.

The third thing we need to do is place a ten year moratorium on legal immigration and H-1B visas subect to review and/or renewal on an ongoing basis.

THAT is the mvscal plan.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

You forgot eliminating federal funds of any kind to cities that declare themselves to be "sanctuaries" for illegals.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Came to mind reading mvscal's plan.

Yes, I can dig it.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

OCmike wrote:You forgot eliminating federal funds of any kind to cities that declare themselves to be "sanctuaries" for illegals.
No, I would leave them in place while enforcement measures begin to flush them into such places and then close the net once it got full.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:Oh, and Whitey is many things. Predictable is one of them. Intelligent is not.
Good thing I've got you here to grade my papers then, Goober 42

Btw...
Young people today are staring at a future in which they will be less well off than their elders, a reversal of fortune that should send a shudder through everyone.
Total bullshit.

I quit reading the article right about there. Bob Herbert and the NY Times, seriously? :lol:

Get a fucking job, loser.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Thanks for proving my point, Whitey. BTW, I have a job, and without question it is better than yours.

I really like the mvscal plan.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I know you have a job, dipshit. I was referring to Bob Herbert. No surprise either that you'd miss that.

Hey, why not tomorrow early am you post a story from Leonard Pitts since at your great job you apparently have nothing better to do.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

88 wrote:theft and other criminal means
Warren Buffett Lieutenant Resigns Amid Stock Purchases.

Buffett also dropped a bombshell in a letter about Sokol: he said Sokol had purchased shares of Lubrizol, a specialty chemicals company which Berkshire announced it is buying, before Sokol convinced Buffett on the merits of the deal.

Buffett said neither he nor Sokol believe the stock purchases “were in any way unlawful.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/03/30/w ... he-letter/
Better hope the SEC believes it, assholes.

More scumbaggery from Sokol:
MidAmerican Energy, the Iowa-based international power subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, got docked Friday in an Omaha court for $32 million. The judge found that the company had intentionally miscalculated future profits to force out minority stockholders in a project in the Philippines

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100403/MONEY/100409895
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:I know you have a job, dipshit. I was referring to Bob Herbert.
And are you arguing that he's wrong? Do you honestly believe that your offspring will logically be better off than you? Well, the bar may be set a bit low in that particular instance, but do you honestly believe that the next generation will be better off than the current one?

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

88 wrote:

And during a period of relatively low inflation, why would the incomes of persons not taking comparable investment risks be expected to rise?
How would you do it? By organizing labor and bargaining collectively. Workers got to ORGANIZE. Why do you think the final assault on organized labor is going on? By the time business is done killing off unions, workers in this country will be working for 3rd world wages.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Anyone that thinks the next generation will have it better than us needs to put down the rice light ice for awhile.

For that matter if you think this current batch us grown ups has it better than our fathers, you are equally dumb.

Yes, those with cushy gubmint union gigs have it pretty sweet as do some highly skilled types, but, the average shmuck is fukked. His average shmuck old man had it way better.

And to those that say too fukking bad, get edumacated, guess what, this current system we have doesn't need unlimited brain scientists. Fresh out of college brain scientists are discovering this.

The bottom line is, the pie's getting pretty fukking small, because, we don't fukking make the pie here anymore.

The answer as mvscal has said is to tell the corporate shitbags that they can't continue this bullshit. It would be nice to think that we will just pull the chinese standard of living up to ours and then we'll be on an even playing field. Ain't gonna happen. There's too fukking many of them and they are run by a ruthless dictatorship that kinda likes things as they are.

We need to go to a tariff system that charges the hell out of anyone with a trade surplus. Will we lose some jet engine sales? Maybe, but so fukking what. We would gain countless jobs and give regular shmucks a chance to make a decent living again.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:Anyone that thinks the next generation will have it better than us needs to put down the rice light ice for awhile.

For that matter if you think this current batch us grown ups has it better than our fathers, you are equally dumb.

Yes, those with cushy gubmint union gigs have it pretty sweet as do some highly skilled types, but, the average shmuck is fukked. His average shmuck old man had it way better.

And to those that say too fukking bad, get edumacated, guess what, this current system we have doesn't need unlimited brain scientists. Fresh out of college brain scientists are discovering this.

The bottom line is, the pie's getting pretty fukking small, because, we don't fukking make the pie here anymore.

The answer as mvscal has said is to tell the corporate shitbags that they can't continue this bullshit. It would be nice to think that we will just pull the chinese standard of living up to ours and then we'll be on an even playing field. Ain't gonna happen. There's too fukking many of them and they are run by a ruthless dictatorship that kinda likes things as they are.

We need to go to a tariff system that charges the hell out of anyone with a trade surplus. Will we lose some jet engine sales? Maybe, but so fukking what. We would gain countless jobs and give regular shmucks a chance to make a decent living again.
They could start by pegging tariffs to the prevailing wages in the country of origin. But it will never happen as long as workers are disorganized and politically impotent. Period.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

organized workers are not the answer.

limiting the gubmint's control over everything and taking away lobbyists reason for being would be a nice start.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

smackaholic wrote:organized workers are not the answer.

limiting the gubmint's control over everything and taking away lobbyists reason for being would be a nice start.
Organized workers aren't the answers, but giving corporations who already are indifferent to government oversight free reign is.

:meds: X infinity
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

why does it take forced union membership to fix the problem? it doesn't. it is just another form of coercion.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:why does it take forced union membership to fix the problem? it doesn't. it is just another form of coercion.
Who was saying anything about FORCED membership. The only way the thing works is when workers realize their interest lies in collective action. Until then, they might just as well lay back and enjoy it.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

War Wagon wrote:Stick a sock in it, pussy.
Translation: I don't give two shits about my kids and grandkids' collective futures? I'm not buying it. You are either blind or refuse to acknowledge the truth....because it's too painful and much too contrary what you have been conditioned to believe.

The American dream and all the usual hopes and visions parents have for their childrens' futures are essentially gone unless some huge changes come about and soon. Why? Unchecked greed by that small group of individuals at the top of the crime syndicates (corporations) who have accomplished this through criminal business practices and even more shameful...with the help of their paid for henchmen in congress.

Or it could be you still seek approval and board cred no matter how ridiculous it makes you look. Stand up for what is right. Whose the real pussy?

I'm guessing you and several other locksteppers in here are wringing your hands non-stop since mvscal dropped a bomb of "truth" on you spineless, corporate boot-licking pussies.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: limiting the gubmint's control over everything
Like tariffs?
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I would like to see a written response in the form of solutions to both 88 & mvscal's collective ideas. Currently it seems our government is only held accountable by our corporations and not by the people that it is supposed to represent.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

I'm impressed by the sudden coming about--or is that just weasllin'?--by folks who should have realized a lot earlier...but the full picture is still denied.
Before God was, I am
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:why does it take forced union membership to fix the problem? it doesn't. it is just another form of coercion.
Who was saying anything about FORCED membership. The only way the thing works is when workers realize their interest lies in collective action. Until then, they might just as well lay back and enjoy it.
How else do you get there?

Americans are completely free to unionize if they see fit.There are rules in place protecting this right.

Trouble is, what good is a union if there is no company to work for?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

KC Scott wrote:
mvscal wrote:The first thing we need to do is keep American jobs in America. To do this we need to ease the regulatory burden on employers somewhat in order to make American labor more attractive and we need to ruthlessly punish corporations which continue to offshore jobs by voiding their registration and kicking them out of the country. You want access to American markets, you use American labor, you pay American tariffs or you can go fuck yourself because whatever the fuck it is you're selling, we don't need it.
I'll assume you are only speaking of manufacturing and IT jobs?
The problem with that is you would create the hyperinflation you've worried about in the past

A far better method would be punitive tarrifs of markets ('sup China?) that don't allow the full spectrum of western goods / services

Corporate persons such as GE should be the first to receive the death sentence. 14.2 billion in profit and didn't pay a dime in taxes? That's the wrong fucking answer. They should be seized and their assets liquidated. Oh yeah, you were saying something about theft and criminality? There you go.

Or we could just revamp the tax code and close all of the Corp loopholes
scott, yes, there would be inflation, but, guess what, i'd rather have a fukking yob to deal with that inflation rather than no yob with low inflation. also, wage inflation would accompany it.

yes, punitive tariffs would be involved. the tariff levels should be set using 2 criteria. first off, trade imbalance as a function of total trade, second, we need to start using tariffs as a diplomatic tool. china is our greatest diplomatic cockblocker. they do everything they can to piss us off and nothing to support us. how many troops are on the coalition side again in afghanistan? oh, yeah, that's right, there aren't any, but, i bet they sure as hell are helping the other side just to keep us stuck there.

as for your free trade fantasy, it is just that. we have free trade but can't compete with subsistence wages.

as for corporate taxes, there shouldn't be any. as mvscal has said, you pay them on the dividends. this way real people pay taxes and feel the pain, rather than making believe that "the corporation" does.
Onions
Elwood

Post by Onions »

we fukking told you goddamn idiots this was going to happen. only now do you see the light? only now??

sin,

ralph nader and the green party
"i sky scrape the heavens"
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Various groups have been saying this. Clinton won based upon folks recognizing the Bush family was up to no good in 1992 - Ross Perot received many votes that typically would have gone Republican had a conservative - and not New World Order Bush - been nominated.

Jab with a left, D
Jab with a right, R

Setting you up for the knockout punch. It's coming. Fact is, what can be done about it at this point ?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

88 wrote:
OK. I'll play. First off, what makes that at all unconscionable?
The way it happened. The CONCEPT might be ok but the execution was all off. Pull your Appalachian stained head out or your megacorp loving ass for once in your miserable life.

88 wrote: No corporation should ever pay income taxes.
So they are people, just not people that need to pay their taxes. How does the corporate cock feel in your ass? Do you have any morals at all?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote:You've misread MVS diatribe on this totally. He's outraged GE Didn't pay any corporate taxes. His post had nothing at all to do with investors paying taxes on Dividends
mvscal wrote:Corporate persons such as GE should be the first to receive the death sentence. 14.2 billion in profit and didn't pay a dime in taxes? That's the wrong fucking answer. They should be seized and their assets liquidated. Oh yeah, you were saying something about theft and criminality? There you go.
Correct. Our current system depends on these taxes. When corporate assholes such as GE fail to pay taxes on $14.2 billion in profit, guess who gets stuck holding the bag? That's $5 billion they stiffed the tax payers for not including their government subsidy.

Personally I do not believe in a corporate income tax but, as long as there is one, corporations need to pay it. The gravy train needs to end and corporations that fail to comply with existing laws and regulations or those who game the system should be hammered flat and shoveled into a bag.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

88 wrote:
mvscal wrote: and we need to ruthlessly punish corporations which continue to offshore jobs by voiding their registration and kicking them out of the country. You want access to American markets, you use American labor, you pay American tariffs or you can go fuck yourself because whatever the fuck it is you're selling, we don't need it.
As you note, that will work only if you tarriff the fuck out of lower priced goods from other countries. And that means higher prices to US consumers. I would like to read a study that evaluated whether Americans would be better off with high tarriffs or lower priced goods. I know many economists think that imposing tarriffs would be economic suicide for most workers in the U.S. I don't have enough information to make an informed judgment on tarriffs vs. free trade. Here are a couple of interesting takes on the issue:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/01/top ... html#links

http://misunderstoodfinance.blogspot.co ... s-and.html
Instead of just posting links and saying things like 'read this' or 'refute that', engage your own brain.

Offshoring is not 'Free Trade' despite an editorialist, a politician or 'some economist' claims.
Banning offshoring isn't necessarily just propping up wages, Mv's argument is solely based on the health of an economy. Any economy will simply not support outsourcing for long before price deflation erodes company profits, decimates consumer demand in the nation outsourcing its jobs and currency pressures slash that nations purchasing power.
Since demand drives supply, it ultimately drives economic growth. No demand, no growth - [Marx]it's a form of suicide[/Marx]