Matt Painter stays at Purdue(LoL)

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Matt Painter stays at Purdue(LoL)

Post by Adelpiero »

As per my sources

After playing Mizzou in 2007, he was in awe of Mizzous new basketball arena and workout facilities. So when he heard MU job would come available, he reached out, and Alden went after him. Purdue was not going to break bank, they are extremely thrifty, and Painter and their AD arent the greatest buddies. Also, rumored he turned down more $, to go to Mizzou, as his asst coaches would get raises..

i'm hearing 7 years 2mil per. And 300K more for his coaches.

Also hearing, that if its true, wont happen till tuesday. Painter now deciding on taking the job. So anything can happen. Possibility of him getting new contract at Purdue is still out there. I trust my sources, we shall see. they got the MA to arky stuff before it was scooped.
Last edited by Adelpiero on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Painter to Missouri(Close to being done)

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Hmm, I'd be surprised, but I guess weirder things have happened. Probably just trying to re-up his contract. He's a Purdue grad and Keady groomed him for that gig.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I've heard that he has a poor relationship with the AD and that this possible move is more about that than the money. I'm not familiar with any updates that Purdue may have done to Mackey Arena but 25 years ago it was about as plain Jane as you could get. Same is true for their old football stadium. Purdue has a much better basketball tradition than Mizzou but their new facilities and more money might attract Painter. Who knows, but would be a great hire for Mizzou if they can pull it off.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

In the Anderson thread, i posted that day, when i heard MA was gone,i commented then, that Painters people contacted Missouri and told them he was interested.

Why MU over Purdue?

1. Purdue is very thrifty, they won't match.
2. Painter and AD not on great terms.
3. MU facilities are on par with many of the top bball programs.
4. He would be able to get that good player, who couldn't meet qualifications at Purdue.
5. Sometimes going out on your own, and making something on your own is refreshing. He would be top dog in Missouri, he could end up 4th banana, behind Indy,ND,Butler in Indiana.
6. Missouri has the $
7. His asst coaches are being paid poorly, when compared to other big10 programs. MU is going to give him 300-500K for his coaches. I'm told this was the key for him coming to MU(if everything goes as plans) He is more worried about his asst coaches being taken care of, than his salary.

Anything can happen, maybe he meets Alden and thinks he's a slimeball. But if Painter doesn't go, i hear BYU coach is #2 on list. What he has done at BYU, put him higher than Smart,gregory, etc on their list. And he has ties to tejas, which is huge area for recruiting already.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Painter seems like a big league whiner to me, but a good coach. be interesting to see...since he's a Mean Gene Keady guy. Purdue turning it's back on the Keady lineage is a risky move. imo.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Adelpiero wrote: 5. Sometimes going out on your own, and making something on your own is refreshing. He would be top dog in Missouri, he could end up 4th banana, behind Indy,ND,Butler in Indiana.
why i thought Anderson would stay. Be your own guy, not Nolan's heir (10+ years after the fact). AND, MA went to Tulsa. not like he's a Hog, really.

once again, though, things that actually do happen scoreboard, KC 0.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Adelpiero wrote:In the Anderson thread, i posted that day, when i heard MA was gone,i commented then, that Painters people contacted Missouri and told them he was interested.

Why MU over Purdue?

1. Purdue is very thrifty, they won't match.
2. Painter and AD not on great terms.
3. MU facilities are on par with many of the top bball programs.
4. He would be able to get that good player, who couldn't meet qualifications at Purdue.
5. Sometimes going out on your own, and making something on your own is refreshing. He would be top dog in Missouri, he could end up 4th banana, behind Indy,ND,Butler in Indiana.
6. Missouri has the $
7. His asst coaches are being paid poorly, when compared to other big10 programs. MU is going to give him 300-500K for his coaches. I'm told this was the key for him coming to MU(if everything goes as plans) He is more worried about his asst coaches being taken care of, than his salary.
All good reasons for him to consider making the move, imo, but leaving won't be an easy decision....especially if Purdue will sweeten the pot for his assistant coaches. And KC is correct.....Painter is a whiner but, for God's sake, he learned from the best (Keady) and is only carrying on that Purdue tradition.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Deadline for both parties is Wednesday.

$ and job offered, Alden met with Painter and his agent. Rumor has it, they will meet later, my source says, the meeting has already taken place.

Now MU and Purdue fans wait.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

latest:
Write Tom Davis: "Breaking: hearing Painter taking Mizzou, Lusk to succeed him."
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Adelpiero wrote:latest:
Write Tom Davis: "Breaking: hearing Painter taking Mizzou, Lusk to succeed him."
That would be a great opportunity for Paul Lusk, and a well deserved one. If true, this could be good for both schools.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Re: Matt Painter new Mizzou Head Coach

Post by Adelpiero »

At the end of the day, 1 big reason Painter left, was because he wanted more $ for his asst coaches. Even rumored, he would take same $, if they were compensated. MU offered nice raise, and nice raise for asst coaches.

This started by Painters people reaching out to MU, once it was rumored Anderson was gone. You dont reach out, if your not interested and don't want the job.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

As a famous person said,"not so fast my friend"
Per GoldandBlack.com:

"Coach will stay!!!!! 99.9% Sure Reply
I know 2 Big time Boosters and they are sure CMP is not going anywhere. Its not really about the money its more getting the Asst Coaches up in Pay with some of the other top notch Asst because a couple of them were looking to go to other schools for more money which was not reported. It's nothing more then that. According to them he will get a pay increase and will be on the Purdue Bench next year. They said it would more then likely be a done deal in the next couple of days as they are reworking his contract. Yes He is meeting with Mizz and the 7 yr 14 Mill is what they are going to offer. Purdue is expected to counter with Coach getting at least 2 Mill+ and the asst will also get a raise. My Sources are big time at Purdue so take it for what its worth..."
I stick to my sources.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

If final reports are correct, Matt Painter can go fuck himself. why?

When Pelphry was Fired, Matt Painters people immediately contacted MU, and told them, Painter wants the job. So, the waiting process of Anderson going to Arkansas plays out, and MU goes after Painter. Sunday, the deal was about done, with there being a little issue with personal things. So they meet, meeting goes great, and they come to a price and years, and benefits for asst coaches.

Now, at the last second, He has a last minute, hail mary, change of heart.

Dude, your the one who wanted the job, if you wanted a raise, you wait till Anderson goes, have your agent float a rumor, and you get paid. You do not contact the University, while they still have a HC and let them know you want the gig. As bad as Anderson handled leaving, this is 10 times worse.

Seriously, super dick move on Painters part. I havent heard from sources yet, but Katz,gotleib and Espn are reporting he's staying, so i'm going to have to believe them.

Let the pile on start, then lock and delete.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Matt Painter stays at Purdue(LoL)

Post by King Crimson »

Didn't Glen Mason do that, taking the UCLA job (?)....before decided at the 11th hour to stay at Kansas.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I just checked with my sources. They confirmed I was right.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

KoMU and Post Dispatch both had him as hired

he called Mike Alden at 2:45pm today, to tell them he changed his mind.

No big deal, he was only on radar, because he told them he wanted the job. next up:

Dave Rose
Jacobson NIU guy can flat out coach, must hire a stud recruiter.
Fox georgia
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I followed the Izzo-to-Cleveland thing closely, and heard and read all the same things. It was a "done deal" according to some local media. You can't trust anyone or anything anymore unless it comes directly from the mouths of those involved.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Adelpiero wrote:Jacobson NIU guy can flat out coach, must hire a stud recruiter.
I assume you're referring to Ben Jacobson from UNI, not NIU, but he'll recruit his kind of player....one who is truly a student-athlete with the emphasis on student. He takes as much pride in always landing a number of players on the academic all-conference and all-american teams as he does in their on court accomplishments. UNI's team GPA is always a 3.0 or better. If Mizzou fan can stand having a coach who will recruit quality young men who he expects to graduate, then it could be a good fit. Oh, and he'll win games too, and he probably endeared himself to Mizzou fan with his win over Kansas in last year's tournament. He's a great coach but I don't know if you can pry him away from UNI. He turned down the opportunity to take the Iowa job last season and money did not seem to be a primary concern for him, but if Mizzou lands him, you'll have a good coach.