thoughts on the NIT and Alabama and Colorado

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

thoughts on the NIT and Alabama and Colorado

Post by King Crimson »

i'd rather lose by 50 on the first Thursday of the NCAA that tips at 11 AM than win the NIT.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: thoughts on the NIT and Alabama and Colorado

Post by War Wagon »

good thing the Buffs and Alex Burks don't see it the same way. It's better for these kids to get the chance to keep playing than it is to act like you don't care.

Go Beefalos!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

King Crimson wrote:i'd rather lose by 50 on the first Thursday of the NCAA that tips at 11 AM than win the NIT.
Concur.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

how about losing by 2 on a Friday night to Kentucky?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:how about losing by 2 on a Friday night to Kentucky?
years from now, you'll be disappointed about the loss...but it won't be something you bang your head against the wall while you are cleaning the garage or make you angry yelling nonsense and directionless hate in traffic. subliminal.

or it might be.

i still get pissed about Oklahoma and Way Tisdale losing to Memphis State and jailbirds Dana Kirk and Keith Lee in 85...from time to time...beat my fists on the steering wheel and my own head type deal.....but it's not an "all-time" loss anger fury...but a 7-8 on the 10 scale loss.

if i hear the phrase "danny and the miracles" again, i WILL bring a kalshnikov to work. danny and the 10 never called fouls is more like it. and put my face in the "news".

i do like the wood handles. old school.

""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

well true...but it did suck...honestly...especially given 2 seniors Lighty and Diebler who played so well this year...I guess as a fan and alum I wanted more...just disappointing that they could never drop the hammer on Kentucky...credit Cal and Kentucky...but on the flip side...outside of Diebler the guards were pretty bad from the field...Buford was 2 for 16 for crying out loud...shots that fell didn't last night...oh well...

I guess you are right the loss to UF was more debilitaing to me seeing as though ODEN dominated inside only to not get any help from the outside...
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

King Crimson wrote: if i hear the phrase "danny and the miracles" again, i WILL bring a kalshnikov to work. danny and the 10 never called fouls is more like it.
Manning was whistled for two cheapies the first eight minutes of the game. Oh, but *he* got all the calls.

lol
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Degenerate wrote:
King Crimson wrote: if i hear the phrase "danny and the miracles" again, i WILL bring a kalshnikov to work. danny and the 10 never called fouls is more like it.
Manning was whistled for two cheapies the first eight minutes of the game. Oh, but *he* got all the calls.

lol
it's pretty clear Danny is over the back about 5 times and they aren't going to call it in the last 10 minutes. and it just gets worse from there. seriously, not a lot to defend. unless you are Manning, then can hand-check your way to a "turnover".

what's next, D, that Kemper was a neutral site? that may be the one thing KU and MU fans have in common, that SOMEHOW Kansas City is and has always been a neutral site. :lol:
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm going to amend my first post. i'd rather lose to a team of Texas, KU alum players, and Roosevelt Chapman with an injured Dane Fife coming off the bench team-coached by Larry Brown, Satan and Darrel Royal on Thursday at 11 AM (MST), than win the NIT.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Once I realized MSU's season was down the shitter (sometime after getting blown out by Iowa), the only thing I wanted at that point was for them to make the tournament and keep that streak intact. Anything beyond that was gravy. Of course I wanted them to win a couple games in the tourney, and thought it was possible, but wasn't too disappointed when they lost to UCLA.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

King Crimson wrote: what's next, D, that Kemper was a neutral site? that may be the one thing KU and MU fans have in common, that SOMEHOW Kansas City is and has always been a neutral site. :lol:

Um, no.

The venues (Kemper, and now Sprint Center) are solely the province of the University of Kansas. There's a Reason why they call in Allen East. Area Cat-backers and Tiger fans scrap for tickets same's you Sooner-types do... We just don't have to drive as far to get 'em.

FWIW, there were about 10 of us crowded around a 19-inch TV in my buddy's basement bar rooting hard for the Sooners that night, and I can remember how stunned we were that the game could possibly be tied 50-all at the half. No way Kansas could run with OU! This was the Sooner team that saw a Derrick Chievous-led Missouri team shoot 55% from the field and hang a hundred points on them at Lloyd Noble - and still beat the Tigers by 20!

Hate to say, but we knew that Karma had turned her back on the Sooners after K-State got jobbed by the refs in their Regional Final loss to Kansas up in Detroit, thus punching the Jayhawks ticket to Kansas City. KU at the Kemper? 'Sup Scott Skiles and Michigan State? Bad things, man[/Dennis Hopper]...
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i would trade 3 of the 4 football NC's in my lifetime for beating Kansas that night. 2000 is sacrosanct, though.

Degenerate is a good poster and probably a great guy, but i would kill him with my bare hands right now.

War Billy Tubbs.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Looking back, it's kinda' hard to believe that they ever played a Final Four at Kemper.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Hell, Wags, they played 10 o' those fuckers at Municipal! What's that barn hold - 10,000?!

Besides, the Kemper was State of the Art back in the day, and was just beginning to wear when we landed the Final Four back in '88. Domed stadia, along with Staples Center and Conseco Field House-type venues - as well as American Airlines Arena and the Ford Center right here in the XII - fast made that old catbox obsolete. Still pissed at Mayor Cleaver's $18M tax-payer funded boondoggle that they slapped to the side of that piece of shit in hopes of horn-swoggling the Conference and landing the Tournament here permanently. Asshat. Perfect US Congressman. :meds: :brad:
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm jealous of you fuckers whose team made the NIT.

But my team has DOMINATED the CBI.

A victory monday night means...

WE'RE #133, BABY!!!

BODE!

I think it's pretty cool that someone set up a tourney for teams that weren't quite good enough to make the NIT... that teams actually buy their way into.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

To this day, Municipal has more atmosphere and class than Kemper could ever dream of. Saw my first concert there in 1977 (Bad Company) and the last time I was there in 2006 for my daughters HS graduation. My eldest sister saw the freaking Beatles there, if you can believe that. Love that old building.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I haven't been a fan of the NIT since tournament expansion but it can be a positive thing for programs who are trying to rebuild. For instance, if Iowa were to play in the NIT, it would be good for the program in that they get to continue playing and get some reward for what they've accomplished during a season that wasn't good enough to get a bid to the NCAA.....kind of like a minor bowl game that gives your program something to build on. That said, the only way I'd watch an NIT game is if Iowa, or maybe Iowa State/Drake/UNI were playing in it.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

War Wagon wrote:To this day, Municipal has more atmosphere and class than Kemper could ever dream of. Saw my first concert there in 1977 (Bad Company) and the last time I was there in 2006 for my daughters HS graduation. My eldest sister saw the freaking Beatles there, if you can believe that. Love that old building.
Great ball arena. They used to play the old Big 8 Christmas Tournament there too, but I never got to go. Saw my share of concerts (Deep Purple, Jefferson Starship, Pat Travers, ZZ Top) in that Grand Old Lady as well.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mace wrote:That said, the only way I'd watch an NIT game is if Iowa, or maybe Iowa State/Drake/UNI were playing in it.
Same here. Looked in on Missouri State, and have been following Colorado's fortunes this year because of the local kid (Alex Burks) and the fact that the Buffs shoulda easily made the NCAAs over Mizzou...
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round. (Not that Oklahoma had any chance of doing either...)
"Keys, woman!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Oh snap... burn baby, burn.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round. (Not that Oklahoma had any chance of doing either...)
last time you won in Norman Jimmy Carter was POTUS. and you even lost to us this year.

who's the bitch?

you'd rather play the NCAA than the NIT, don't even fake it. i go to more CU basketball games than CU fans. don't even try and pretend anyone cares in Boulder.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:Oh snap... burn baby, burn.

oh, ya think:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1101220444
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

KC,
I'm just fucking with ya dude. I'm sure OU has massive bode on CU all-time in hoops. I still stand behind my original statement though. If I knew the outcome in advance, I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the real tourney. Either way, you're a loser, but at least winning the NIT gives you a couple more weeks of practice...
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:KC,
I'm just fucking with ya dude. I'm sure OU has massive bode on CU all-time in hoops. I still stand behind my original statement though. If I knew the outcome in advance, I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the real tourney. Either way, you're a loser, but at least winning the NIT gives you a couple more weeks of practice...
dude, i go to more CU hoops games than 99% of CU fans.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote: dude, i go to more CU hoops games than 99% of CU fans.
So i've gleaned, since you have repeated that statement more than once, in this thread and others.

The premise of this thread is whack, your take is whack. Winning the NIT is much preferable than losing in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney, by 50 no less.

You go to CU games but you're not really a fan of CU. They just sign your paycheck. This makes perfect sense in some detached sorta' way, but I haven't quite figured your angle out yet.

My guess is you've never played sports in your life and are pretty bitter towards jocks in general since that time they gave you a snuggie in the boys restroom in 5th grade.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
So i've gleaned, since you have repeated that statement more than once, in this thread and others.

The premise of this thread is whack, your take is whack. Winning the NIT is much preferable than losing in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney, by 50 no less.

You go to CU games but you're not really a fan of CU. They just sign your paycheck. This makes perfect sense in some detached sorta' way, but I haven't quite figured your angle out yet.

My guess is you've never played sports in your life and are pretty bitter towards jocks in general since that time they gave you a snuggie in the boys restroom in 5th grade.
pretty simple Wags. i actually GO to CU basketball games. Mike, maybe? but he's here posting when CU has some play. i saw CU beat Mizzou in person...i like college basketball...live action. i did actually play sports, if that's your gay angle.
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Expensive tourney to be in.
With the new building and whatnot, Oregon was fairly confident they'd break even at minimum from the ticket sales. Sounds about right, and they probably made a few bucks off TV coverage.

Buying your way into a tourney is beyond gax, but it gives the young guys some more work, since they were improving rapidly by the end of the season, and it's a nice farewell for 18th-year senior Joevan Catron (when your old teammates are now considered cagey old NBA veterans, you've had some injuries... fucker played with Aaron Brooks).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

King Crimson wrote:
War Wagon wrote:

pretty simple Wags. i actually GO to CU basketball games. Mike, maybe? but he's here posting when CU has some play. i saw CU beat Mizzou in person...i like college basketball...live action. i did actually play sports, if that's your gay angle.
Dude, whaddaya want from me? I live in Tempe. I'm sure there are a few non-OU fans in Norman who went to more OU hoops games than you did this season. Does that make you less of a fan?

I actually appreciate your takes on CU sports. It's nice to have an unbiased source close to the school. But don't lump me in with the indifferent Cali transplants who pass themselves off as CU "fans."

When I lived in Boulder, I went to CU basketball games. I still make it back for at least one football game a year. I realize I don't post in this forum all that often, but that doesn't mean you get to start a thread slamming a couple teams way better than yours and not get a little shit for it. Lighten up, bro.
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i said you were here posting, Mike. no insult there. as i recall, OU (even as bad as they were...Chaminade losing bad)....they did beat Colorado. CU hasn't won in Norman since 1980. and with the Pac move, that ain't changing anytime soon...is it? i'm a real defender of Colorado basketball around here....and it isn't an easy fight, tell you that.

Wags, whole "whack" thing is kinda funny though.

the NIT is BS. that's the point.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Sorry man. I misread your post as taking a shot at me for not going to games in person and not posting in the CBB forum unless CU is playing decently (the latter of which I'm absolutely guilty of). But I still don't think the NIT is BS. Are you one of those guys who says every bowl game besides the BCSCG is meaningless? I mean, I get the line of reasoning, but I don't think either should be abolished. They give marginally decent teams a chance to extend their seasons and get better for next year.
"Keys, woman!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:
And your 'point' is/was that you'd rather lose by 50 in the first round of the NCAA tourney than win the NIT and my point is that's BS.

CU deserved to be in over MU and at this point I'd much rather have my team playing tonight in New York than watching it from Harpos.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
And your 'point' is/was that you'd rather lose by 50 in the first round of the NCAA tourney than win the NIT and my point is that's BS.

CU deserved to be in over MU and at this point I'd much rather have my team playing tonight in New York than watching it from Harpos.
Cu did not deserve to go in over MU.

CU had ZERO quality OOC wins. ZERO. If CU would of played some one and beat them, then you can sort of compare them, since they didnt, it wasnt even close.

Bama,Virginia tech, and CU deserved NOTHING. their OOC had literally 1 decent OOC win from the 3 of them. and some really bad losses.

MU had wins over ODU,Vandy,illinois all OOC.

MU ddint deserve to go to tourney, but they certainly did over those 3. And VCU has OOC wins over tenn and UCLA, while they petered in conference, they atleast beat some one outside the conference, and thats how you get in, if your on the bubble.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote: Tune in tonight to see one of the best freshman in the country...Bama point guard Trevord Releford.
Along with CU's Alex Burks, yet another KC area hoopster who was somehow allowed to escape from Mizzou. :brad:

I'll be watching this game tonight, you betcha'. Burks goes off for 30 and CU rolls the Tide.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Wichita State flat out curb stomped Wash. St.

Good to see the MVC representing and right now, WSU is feeling a lot better about themselves than Indiana State, who won the MVC tourney and got the automatic bid.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Sloppy first half for the Buffs, although not atypical based on the handful of times I've seen them this year. I like that they play an up-tempo style, but they need to figure out how to slow it down and set something up when they don't have numbers on the breakaway.

I see a strong 2nd half from the Buffs, with Higgins becoming their all-time leading scorer en route to a 5-point win.
"Keys, woman!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bama stronger down low, I don't like CU's chances unless someone other than Burks or Higgins can score.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

grats, Bama. helluva' fun game to watch.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Not sure if that's the shot I'd want Burks to take when the season's on the line, but hey, at least he's confident. I hope he comes back next year, both for his sake and CU's.

Props to Bama on the win. Good luck in the national championship game...
"Keys, woman!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote: Wichita State looks mighty tough.
I freaking guess. How that team didn't make the NCAA tourney is beyond ridiculous. And they made them a 4 seed in it NIT? :doh:

Props to the Shockers, first MVC team to win the NIT since Bradley in 1982. They're going apeshit in Wichitucky right about now.