1st Round Games...

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

1st Round Games...

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Tough, tough loss by Penn St.

3 games complete on day 1 and Louisville becomes the 1st #4 to bite the big one...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: 2nd Round Games...

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Second rd is not until Saturday unless you are an NCAA lackey.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Second rd is not until Saturday unless you are an NCAA lackey.
Where's the "Who gives a Fuck" troll when you need him...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's not the second round, tool, and it never has been. Why should it now? Because the NCAA told us? Go fuck yourself.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Just call it the round of 64...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Second rd is not until Saturday unless you are an NCAA lackey.
Yeah. First set of games are "play in." This is the 1st round, ball sniffers.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Re: 1st Round Games...

Post by Shine »

Had to use/abuse my mod powers and correct the thread title. As soon as the "first four" games are mandatory selections in a bracket contest I'll call start calling the Thursday/Friday games 2nd round. Until then...

As for Thursday thoughts:

- not shocked that Morehead won. I really liked them coming into the tourney and was gonna look for them to pull the upset but thought Louisville was too strong. Mild surprise but not a shock by any means.

- "the power of Izzo" had me pick Sparty to win at least 1 but I knew a typical deep run was out of the question. This squad was just off from the get go and never found its stride.

- AMAZING start to the tourney. Butler at the buzzer, Morehead late, Temple late, Kentucky late. Great start to the action.

- Putrid wrap up to day 1. Mostly blowouts in the final session and only UCLA playing with two hands around their neck late made for any intrigue.

- Only Sweet 16 team I lost was Louisville and that's one the majority would have lost as well.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

All around pretty shitty day for me. Lost an Elite 8 team in Vandy, another in St. John's, a S16 in MSU, and a few other first round games. Then my team gets shit hammered by UCLA, although they did make a furious comeback which was fun to watch. Down 23 with 8 to go and had a chance to win it. Ugh. But at least I'm not AP.
- AMAZING start to the tourney. Butler at the buzzer, Morehead late, Temple late, Kentucky late. Great start to the action.
Agree, which is why I don't understand people bitching about the pairings before the games are even played. Who cares about pairings, as long as the games are exciting?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournamen ... id=6228346

Irving returning for Duke definitely changes things...his health was the x-factor of the tournament. They did quite well without him and now you add a dynamic ball-handling point guard that can score to a tournament-tested team...I'm scared shitless at what the Devils will do to Michigan if they win this afternoon.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Lost an Elite 8 team in St. John's and a Sweet 16 team in Louisville. Not great, but not as bad as Mgo, either.

Agree with Shine. The afternoon games had great endings, the evening ones, not so much.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Lost an Elite 8 team in St. John's and a Sweet 16 team in Louisville. Not great, but not as bad as Mgo, either.

Agree with Shine. The afternoon games had great endings, the evening ones, not so much.

I too had Louisville in the Sweet 16...thankfully I revised my brackets from beforehand and decided to go with Florida getting to the Elite 8 over St. John's.

Other than the late Sparty run, the last 4 games of the night were awful...and awful for the bracket.

Seriously considering just cutting out to watch Michigan-Tennessee but so many are leaving the office early that I might just hang around and stream that bitch here.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i was going against St. John's early.

Vandy and Louisville getting the early bounce looks great for Kansas.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Me likey this second half for Big Blue... 8)
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:Me likey this second half for Big Blue... 8)
can't wait for grant hill's "uncle tom" pep talk before sunday's game. nolan smith is going to drop 50.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Tenn looks like reheated shit smothered in shit gravy...

Hard to believe the this is the same team that beat Texas.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

With the talk of Pearl's future being in doubt and with his team beaten by 30 in a first round game...how does he not get pink slip?

Bring on Duke! :hfal:

:oops:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:With the talk of Pearl's future being in doubt and with his team beaten by 30 in a first round game...how does he not get pink slip?
Judging by the second half that Tennessee had I'd say he got fired at halftime.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Beating Villanova hasn't been that difficult lately. Even we beat them.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

One thing I was thinking about is that occasionally a team seeded between 5 and 12 lucks out and gets sent to the closest pod site. One would think that could constitute a significant advantage in first-round action. This year, those teams were:

Xavier (#6) vs. Marquette in Cleveland
Old Dominion (#9) vs. Butler in Washington, DC
Tennessee (#9) vs. Michigan in Charlotte
Georgia (#10) vs. Washington in Charlotte
Gonzaga (#11) vs. St. John's in Denver
Memphis (#12) vs. Arizona in Tulsa

All of these teams were sent to the closest pod site. All of them had travel advantages over their first round opponent, and in some cases, those advantages were substantial. Strangely, though, these teams went a combined 1-5 in the first round. Obviously this isn't big enough to constitute a fair representative sample, but it would be interesting to see what the first-round records are of similarly-situated teams since pod sites began.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Thoughts from Round 1, Day 2...

- I had picked Michigan to beat Tennessee so that wasn't a shock, but holy hell I never would have guessed a 30 point ass whooping!!

- The late game play, or lack thereof, by Texas came through yet again.

- Really mild day compared to Day 1 as I wouldn't call any outcomes upsets, and the only real surprise was how easily some teams were dispatched.

Overall Round 1 (and beyond) thoughts...

- The Big 10 represented nicely with a 5-2 overall mark with: one of the losses being a toss-up game, no favored seed losses and two 8/9 beatdowns.

- The stats will show the Pac 10 is 3-1 but to me they're 3-0. USC didn't play their way in.

- Things are falling Duke's way again. You need some luck to win this thing and they're getting it. In the S16 they'll face two teams that are undisciplined and can't close a game out. Those teams don't beat Duke very often. Then in the E8 they'll either face a 1 man team in UCon or another undisciplined team in SDST. Not to mention they're getting Irving back. Starting to worry more about a repeat.

- The Big East is already taking some lumps for being overrated (unfair) and things won't get any better since they're guaranteed two 2nd round losses due to canibalization.

- Really looking forward to the Washington/UNC game.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Shine wrote:
- Things are falling Duke's way again. You need some luck to win this thing and they're getting it.
Kansas may be in this camp as well. with Vandy and Louisville (4 and 5 seeds) out, if they can get past Illinois then they've got a pretty nice path. nothing is given in the tournament, but given the choice of playing your way through a 16, 8/9, and then 12/13 instead of a 4/5 in the 2nd weekend....that's about as good as it gets. Purdue and ND are teams that could take down a #1 though.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Shine wrote:- The Big East is already taking some lumps for being overrated (unfair) and things won't get any better since they're guaranteed two 2nd round losses due to canibalization.
The Big East went 7-4 in the first round and three of those four losses were in the range of games that could be considered tossups, or fairly close thereto (two losses in the 6-11 games and one loss in an 8-9 game). They did win a game as a lower seed, in pretty convincing fashion.

I was somewhat shocked that the Selection Committee had not one, but two, potential all-Big East matchups in the Round of 32. I suppose that was inevitable given the seeds (Big East had two 3 seeds, three 6 seeds and an 11 seed). Perhaps some revision of the seeds should have taken place.