Heading into the tourney thoughts

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

Heading into the tourney thoughts

Post by Shine »

- It gets re-hashed so much that it's almost become cliche BUT I do truly feel like this is the most wide open tournament in a while. There really is no dominant team and I see holes or potential pitfalls with every top contender. A legit 10 teams I could see cutting down the nets if the draw breaks right for them and a guy or two gets hot.

- Funny how Duke is still considered in play for a 1 seed while UNC isn't in the conversation, seeing as how they split head to head and UNC did win the conference title. I guess those games in November and December that some blowhards try to say don't matter actually do!! Not that being a 2 seed versus a 1 is vastly different but UNC stepping on their dicks early cost them their shot.

- With all the talk of how soft the bubble is this year why does it seem no talking heads are pointing out the obvious: OF COURSE it's a softer bubble this year since we're letting in 3 extra teams that shouldn't be there in!!!

- Something that seems to be overlooked with the expanded format is the detriment the 5/6 seeded teams have that play against the "play-in" teams. Normally those guys would have 3-4 days to prepare for the specific opponent they'll be playing. Now they have 2 teams to potentially consider and a much shorter time to prepare for who they ultimately will play.

- Ohio St was my preseason pick to win it all. Sorry Buckeye fans (who won't see this anyway since it's not in the football board). It's very rare my preseason pick actually does win it all.

- The Big East WILL set a record this year for bids. And it IS deserved. That said, I'm not sold on any BEAST teams in terms of winning it all.

- If Sparty does somehow make the dance it's still gonna be hard for me to pick against Izzo even though this is NOT a typical Izzo led squad.

- The NCAA always denies they set-up the "storyline" matchups but it always ends up happening. Here are some of those that are in play:

Purdue playing St. John's
St. John's playing UCLA
San Diego St playing Michigan
Michigan playing West Virginia
West Virginia playing Cincinnati
UCLA playing Pitt

- I love this time of year!!!!
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Heading into the tourney thoughts

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shine wrote:- I love this time of year!!!!
Me too. I've had a boner the last few weeks, mostly because GW has been playing so well.
How is this a "storyline" matchup?
When is Tom Crean gonna get shitcanned?
Puke is always overrated. You know that.
I like your OSU pick. I like possibly OSU/UNC in the final.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Shine wrote:Ohio St was my preseason pick to win it all. Sorry Buckeye fans (who won't see this anyway since it's not in the football board). It's very rare my preseason pick actually does win it all.
Shit, it could always be worse...like one of Jon's ironclad sure-fire locks. :D
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Screw_Michigan wrote:How is this a "storyline" matchup?
Uhh, because Gene Keady is on Steve Lavin's staff.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:How is this a "storyline" matchup?
Uhh, because Gene Keady is on Steve Lavin's staff.
I wasn't aware of that. I still stand by my take.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I hope St John's doesn't get too high of a seed because they're my dark horse. That is a damn good team when they are on.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

- The Big East WILL set a record this year for bids. And it IS deserved. That said, I'm not sold on any BEAST teams in terms of winning it all.
I'm tired of hearing how half the teams in the Big East are good enough to contend for a title every year, and nobody ever does outside of UCONN. Haven't been terribly impressed with the Big East over the years, relatively speaking. RPI-wise I'm not even sure it's the best conference.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

What is this post season tournament you guys are talking about?

Sin,

Iowa

If they'd expand the tournament to 120 teams, I could get in on the excitement of Iowa being a bubble team.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Shine wrote: I guess those games in November and December that some blowhards try to say don't matter actually do!!
i'm getting dizzy the last couple years, hearing some "analyst" prop up the "great job the committee" did by referring either to 1. "a whole body of work" or 2. "last 10 games figures strongly".

Villanova is likely in, and their last 10 games? Nova isn't the point.....seems last 10 v. whole body of work is kind of reversible logic that when one gets used, it tends to exclude the other. not exactly air-tight criteria when one seems to invalidate the other, except in opportunistic use. so, i don't know.

Shine, good point about the 5-6 seeds.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Someone, somewhere isn't doing their job, and they forgot to tell the Ducks they suck donkey dick.

The PACashgrab Tourney started, and all of a sudden, Oregon suited up Bobby Hurley, Michael Jordan, Corliss, Muslim Laettner, and Bill Freaking Walton.

Just blew fUCLA out of the building.

It won't last, but I'm awfully giddy while it lasts.

Against the Washington schools... well, Oregon doesn't have to deal with nearly the jet-lag that the Cougs and Dickweeds do, so I'll go with Oregon.

Joevan Catron going out with a bang -- I'm sure he hasn't had this much fun since he played with NBA veteran Aaron Brooks (for realz -- he's grayshirted 14 times).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote:jet-lag
There's no jet-lag when you're not crossing timezones.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Unless you're a Cal fan...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

FLW Buckeye wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Unless you're a Cal fan...

I'd give you props for being smarter and having a more keen sense of humor than Screwey, but that's really not much of a compliment, is it?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

You see somebody standing on the side of the road, wearing sunglasses and using his white cane. Do you help him across the street or let the city bus bearing down give him the assist?

I had a weak moment...my apologies.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That win oughta put Michigan over the top now if the sweep over State didn't do it already. They were 0-4 against the top 3 in the conference but they went 5-1 including today against those other three teams that went 9-9 in conference. To me, that pretty much makes them the 4th best team in the Big Ten and they've now won 9 of their last 12 games. Beating Ohio State tomorrow would be nothing more than a possible seeding boost. I think they're safely in...they're probably looking at either being in the 8/9 or 7/10 game.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dinsdale wrote: Just blew UCLA out of the building.
You caught the "Hyde" version this time around. The team figured it could rest injured starters by not playing in the Pac tourney and get ready for the dance. Nice that it also served to make your season.

Everybody wins.

sort of.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Richmond is a 12 seed? What a fucking disgrace. At least VT was left home...again.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:At least VT was left home...again.
RACK!!!

Seeing Greenberg whine again is classic. Fuck that douchebag!!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:At least VT was left home...again.
RACK!!!

Seeing Greenberg whine again is classic. Fuck that douchebag!!
Dude, I watched both the A-10 game and the Big 11 game and all I could think of all afternoon was how VT was gonna get screwed. It was almost like anticipating guaranteed sex.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Not sure how they got screwed. They're OOC SOS was something like 157. That's awful.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

becasue they play in the ACC that will be that faggot Greenberg's response...

i love it...it's like fucking christmas watching that fuckhead whine
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Typically, he made sure to point out what conference he played in.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Yeah, the same league that got one more berth than the fucking CAA.

The ACC is a joke.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The Seer wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: Just blew UCLA out of the building.
You caught the "Hyde" version this time around. The team figured it could rest injured starters by not playing in the Pac tourney and get ready for the dance. Nice that it also served to make your season.

Everybody wins.

sort of.
seer, what can you tell me about UCLA? I haven't seen a single minute of them. I hear they have a deep front line and like to pound the ball inside. This is good. I would rather see MSU play this type of team than some pesky mid major that does nothing but bomb 3s. Should be fun to watch the two fat guys go at it (Smith vs Nix). Hope there's extra oxygen tanks in the building.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shine wrote:- The NCAA always denies they set-up the "storyline" matchups but it always ends up happening. Here are some of those that are in play:

St. John's playing UCLA
San Diego St playing Michigan
Michigan playing West Virginia
West Virginia playing Cincinnati
UCLA playing Pitt

- I love this time of year!!!!
Add to this Memphis playing Arizona
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: seer, what can you tell me about UCLA? I haven't seen a single minute of them. I hear they have a deep front line and like to pound the ball inside. This is good. I would rather see MSU play this type of team than some pesky mid major that does nothing but bomb 3s. Should be fun to watch the two fat guys go at it (Smith vs Nix). Hope there's extra oxygen tanks in the building.
Here's what I can tell you. Howland's follically challenged head became more sparse. Never know what team will show up. The one that came within a horrific call of beating Kansas or the one that lost to Montana. The one that beat Arizona like a step child or the one that lost to Oregon by a bunch. The one that beat BYU and St Johns?

Could be an easy win for Sparty. Jones our PG has 2 bad mitts, can barely hold a basketball, the PG off the bench is a turnover machine. Our SG, Lee, tore his miniscus in the last game of the season and will have surgery right after they're ousted.

Honeycutt started out as our stud (see Kansas), but morphed into someone that avoids contact and can't find the hoop with GPS. Also leads the league in turnovers. Reeves Nelson is an hombre and will not back down from contact. When he DECIDES to show up, he can dominate a game. Josh Smith, the true freshman center is very raw...but VERY big...probably a year away from being an impact player. Will clog and alter shots if he can stay out of foul trouble. IF our guards can make a few from range and open things up a bit for the front line, it could be a problem for Izzo.

* Watch Howland's use of timeouts. A few games he used them all by halftime. I think he calls some during warmups. A real head scratcher.
E UNUM PLURIBUS