Mizzou @ Texas

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Mizzou @ Texas

Post by War Wagon »

Very much looking forward to this game Saturday night.

I watched Texas against KU last week, and while it was an impressive win being at the phog, I came away from it thinking KU was more over rated than Texas under rated. In that 1st half, Texas couldn't throw a rock in the ocean, missing from point blank range time after time.

Don't get me wrong, Texas has size, strength, and speed... very physically gifted athletes. But I don't know how much that translates into basketball skill.

Mizzou doesn't have much in the way of size or strength. They aren't going to overpower many teams, none in conference. They won't win the rebounding battle in most games. But they do have speed and with a bench 10 deep, can flat wear out the other team.They will run the entire 40 minutes and can score at will from anywhere on the court.

Mizzou has had an entire week to get rested up and prepare, this should be a great game.

Tigers - 86
Whorns - 83
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Mizzou @ Texas

Post by King Crimson »

maybe if it was in Columbia. i'll take the home team and the forces of Evil in this one.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:i'll take the home team
Don't blame you.

Can Mizzou get a fair shake from the refs in this one, or will it be another ATM where Texas get to the line twice as much? Might be the key to the game right there.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

decent preview of the game.... except that neither of these dipshits ever heard of Derek Grimm.

Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Texas is a team that got ZERO pre-season hype. I am glad. This team plays with a chip on its shoulder. This team is a tough, gritty, grind it out defensive team. I like our chances against anyone.

We have lost to 2 top 5 teams by a total of 3 points. In the Big XII we are 5-0 with all wins by an average of 13 points. That being said, Missouri is a scary team. They are fast, and play the press that is scary to most teams. We need to slow it down and not let them run.

Look for J'Covan Brown to have a big game. I also look for Hamilton to go for 19 and 10.

I like Texas to go to 6-0.

Neither one of those heebs get it.

Texas 79
Missouri 71
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Harvdog wrote: Missouri is a scary team. They are fast, and play the press that is scary to most teams. We need to slow it down and not let them run.
And therein lies the other key.

Been watching Mike Andersons pressing defense for 5 years now, many times pulling my hair out, because they give up so many easy buckets off of it. Far more than they create steals or turnovers.

But what that press does is forces the other team into an up tempo game, which then falls right into his game plan. Get the other team running up and down the court, constantly, and then see if they can keep up the last 8 minutes or so. Most times, they can't.

As for scoring, Denman will get his, but I really look for Kimmie English to break out. He was their leading scorer last year, 5th in scoring this year as he's sorta' faded into the background and let others step up. Mizzou needs English to have a big game to have any chance of winning in Austin.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't know. i saw MU lose to Colorado in person and CU matched MU point for point in transition. game wasn't even really close outside MU's run to start the game. UT has an experienced PG in Balbay....and at home. Mizzou will get theirs but it won't be enough. Denmon was a little bitch in Boulder and I see UT having the athleticism to get in his head again. i'm a total Mike Anderson man crush was my please replace Kelvin S. at OU type guy...but Texas wins this one.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

yeah, about that CU game.

I don't have much to say other than a Missouri kid beat us. :brad:
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:yeah, about that CU game.

I don't have much to say other than a Missouri kid beat us. :brad:
kinda weird one, huh? i think Burks has a ten cent head and is a sloppy ball handler but how only has offers from KSU and CU is odd. i've seen things where he's a lottery pick. not sure he's "all that" but hey? he needs another year, but i think he's gonzo after this season.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote: kinda weird one, huh?
Totally slipped under the radar. The only good thing I can say about it now is at least Kansas didn't snag him... that would've been impossible to swallow.

Crap, who was that other kid outta' CU who's now had a great NBA career? I suck at remembering names, but I remember his smooth game. I think he broke his leg, literally, in the Big XII tourney in KC his senior season. Great player, but I doubt Burks is ready for the NBA grind.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
Totally slipped under the radar. The only good thing I can say about it now is at least Kansas didn't snag him... that would've been impossible to swallow.

Crap, who was that other kid outta' CU who's now had a great NBA career? I suck at remembering names, but I remember his smooth game. I think he broke his leg, literally, in the Big XII tourney in KC his senior season. Great player, but I doubt Burks is ready for the NBA grind.
Chauncey Billups is Colorado's NBA player but you are thinking of Donnie Boyce. broke his leg against Oklahoma in KC. horrible injury, bad break. he was a really good guy Boyce. everyone around here says he was a great guy.....i met him a couple times. played a year for Atlanta i think in the NBA, but was never the same after the injury.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

hmm, I thought it was Billups broke his leg but will defer to your memory. Boyce was a great player too, maybe the equal of Billups.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:hmm, I thought it was Billups broke his leg but will defer to your memory. Boyce was a great player too, maybe the equal of Billups.
Billups never became a complete player until he was a Piston and Larry Brown taught him to play D. At Colorado, he couldn't guard a Stop sign. Boyce was kinda the same and never got better as a player with his coaching (Joe Harrington and Rico Patton). people forget Billups bounced around the league for a time (Boston, Toronto, Denver, Detroit...) after being the #3 pick (Pitino) for Boston. like i say, i liked Donnie a lot as a player.
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

good thing dexter pittman is in the DLeague. On one hand he couldn't do anything other than be fat in the post, but Mizzou ain't got nobody tall and over 190 lbs. handled him OK last year but I'm glad he failed his way out of Div I before he got discipline.

how good ofa free throw shooter is J Hamilton? The refs calling a foul every time a competitor goes into the paint against Mizzou wants to know.

War Wagon wrote:neither of these dipshits ever heard of Derek Grimm.

maybe they only know Buck Grimm.

Buck had a 5' tall asian girlfriend and drove a rusty late model Buick Skylark.
Jason Sutherland had some souped up silver Mitsubishi sportscar. One day he sat next to my future wife at the barber shop on 9th St. as I got my hair cut. She had the number "5" written large on her notebook and he was all "good number, babygirl."

overall record for the series is 11-10 with the one extra on the Tejas side.

fuck TJ Ford and DJ Augustin and PJ Tucker and *J loser in their respective underachieving queer buttholes.
fuck Royal Ivey
fuck Chris Mihm
fuck LaMarcus
PrimeX is a pickle kisser
Fuck Penders' cancerhair
why is my neighborhood on fire
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

War Wagon wrote:

you aRE THINKING of David Harrison if the letters in NBA stand for Old Country Buffet.
why is my neighborhood on fire
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mizzou down 11 at the half, Bowers cold cocked from an inadvertant elbow.

This is going not so well.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Tough game to call. Both are very physical. Too bad about Bowers. He was looking good.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Texas strategy: Miss free throw, get rebound, 3-point play.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

props Texas, too strong for my boys.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Good game for us. It was close because we missed 17 free throws! The last 3 games we have been hitting them. Oh well. Quick turn around and we have A&M in College Station on Monday. That is tough. I would not be surprised if we lose. Missouri ran us ragged.