random thoughts thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: random thoughts thread

Post by indyfrisco »

War Wagon wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. The next test for me is to have success on the road against a quality team. We're @ t.u. next week after Misery this weekend. We go 2-0 in the next 2, and we should be top 8.
Mizzou lost the game today from the free throw line. 9-19, are you kidding me? Poor decision making at the end of regulation and OT cost them a big road win. That, and ATM getting to the line twice as much and actually making most of theirs.

Helluva game though. Back and forth, up and down, for 45 minutes.
Hope you are not complaining about the refs. misery's style of defense leads to more steals/turnovers, but it also leads to more fouls. I do agree though had Pressey not attacked after the offensive rebound at the end and instead reset with a new clock, the game was yours. Thanks for that, as well as the bad pass by whoever it was on an open breakaway. Wasn't a bad pass so much as the trailer wasn't ready for it. Worked out well for us. Hope we can meet up in the conference tourney...then again, maybe not.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

IndyFrisco wrote: Hope you are not complaining about the refs.
No, I'm not.

Mizzou had every opportunity to win that game, despite the home cooking. They blew it.

Still scratching my head why Pressey had the ball in his hands at the end, twice, rather than Denman.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

anybody see the end of the Louisville-Marquette game? L finishes the game on 25-4 run to win by 1, scores the game-winner with 10 secs left. that's the only part i saw. pretty amazing.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:BET.
I bet your wife doesn't let you watch any other channel. :meds:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mizzou bitch slapped K-State today and put Frankenstein in his place - all is right with the world.

Tigers really do have a shitload of talent 10 deep. That Phil Pressey kid, wow. Mike Anderson is assembling one helluva team, year after year.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

somewhat relieved OU managed to beat Tech in Norman. the idea of going winless in conference DID cross my mind. Now, Saturday, CU is in town looking for their first win at the Lloyd Noble since 1981.

CU should win, and needs the game badly with a tough stretch coming up as per NCAA chances....but, I'd be delighted to have that streak intact when CU leaves the conference.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

IndyFrisco wrote:Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. The next test for me is to have success on the road against a quality team. We're @ t.u. next week after Misery this weekend. We go 2-0 in the next 2, and we should be top 8.
And we didn't and we won't. Like I said, I have no confidence A&M can walk into someone else's house (a legit team, that is) and win. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm just saying I don't expect them to win. 9 seed, here we come.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Not making the dance this season: Maryland. Nice blowout loss to VT at home. That meltdown against Villanova last weekend has BODE in the Terps' dome. Gary even said last week that these freshman guards are gonna kill him. He's right. The ACC is weaker than shit and MD is gonna be a few teams behind having their bubble burst.

The DC bball teams are really shitting the bed right now. Things are looking bleak for Gtown as well. Christ, GW has a better chance of making the tournament than Gtown and MD.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Screw_Michigan wrote: The DC bball teams are really shitting the bed right now. Things are looking bleak for Gtown as well. Christ, GW has a better chance of making the tournament than Gtown and MD.
American U. is second place in the Patriot League, baby.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Despite the first conference win we still really really suck.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

bwaaahahahaaaaaa Colorado.

back into the shadows for that endangered species "CU Hoops Fan" unless they beat Kansas in Boulder on Tues. works for me, i'm jealously wanting back my 10$ GA row of seats to myself.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Some GREAT match ups today. Good day of bball. Fuck you Illannoy!!!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

nice to be the only one in the pick em with Nova... :bode:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Went to the St. Bonaventure-GW game today. Bonnies win in DC for the first time in 22 years, and last time I checked, the Bonnies weren't very good. Close game at the half but GW went ice cold the entire second half.

Degenerate: You're right about AU. I should get up there and check out a game.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Damn, the Buckeyes looked good tonight.

Best game thus far...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I tuned in last night hoping for a good game. Egads. Purdue coming out flat + OSU making everything they shot = over before it started.

Just give the conf trophy to the Bucks already. Everybody is playing for 2nd place now. That team is stupid good.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I watched the the first 30 min of the Seton Hall-Syracuse game and the last 10 min of the Dayton-Richmond game (for 3rd place in the A-10). Let's just say Seton Hall is not very good, but Syracuse is absolutely flatlining right now. They never recovered from the tough loss to Pitt and the buttfucking in the mouth they took from Villanova in front of a record crowd at the Dome last weekend. No defense, horrible offensive sets, horrible shots, just no effort once they got down 20 in the first half. Did I mention how Seton Hall is not very good? Well, they have some talent and some pieces. Jeremy Hazell is a beast, I wonder how much better he would have been this season without getting shot over Christmas. Despite the record, the Pirates seem to play with heart once in a while, which is a lot more heart than they showed under that piece of shit Bobby Gonzalez.

I am going to the St. John's-Georgetown game tonight and then I will come home to watch the SD ST-BYU game (on CBS College Sports, which I have). Rack me and rack college basketball in the District.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I watched some of the ND-Pitt game the other night. ND is starting to look like a force to be reckoned with.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I watched some of the ND-Pitt game the other night. ND is starting to look like a force to be reckoned with.
I haven't watched any ND games this year, but having watched ND teams in the past, I'll believe it when I see it. Although you have to give them props for the big win at Pitt.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Screw_Michigan wrote:rack college basketball in the District.
No doubt, don't forget about VCU hosting Hofstra tonight for the top spot in the Colonial league. One of my good buddies is on VCU's staff, they've had some nice wins this season.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

so this is what rock bottom feels like? there was still a modicum of confidence in this team after the Purdue loss, and the Lucious thing, but that all went out the window after tonight. Just pitiful.

NIT, here we come!!!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

so much for me sticking MSU in my Elite Eight
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

The Big East is a true meatgrinder this year. As many as 11 teams could get into the dance. Yeah, I know they added three at-large bids to the field from last year. Thing is, of the Big East teams that figure to get in at this juncture, only one (Marquette) is anywhere near the last four in.

Even the conference bottom-feeders are turning into tough outs. Screwy's comments about Seton Hall-Syracuse notwithstanding, Providence did the same thing to Villanova a night later.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

St. John's is blowing out Duke right now at the Garden and it's only the end of the first half. 43-24 at the moment. This is certainly not the same Johnnies squad I saw Wednesday against G'town.

I also went to the Saint Louis-GW game yesterday, which GW didn't get its first lead of the game until with eight minutes left, but they made it stick for the win. GW games are rarely pretty, but you'll take the win. In about 10 close calls down the stretch, GW got the break on eight calls, which was really huge.

Rick Majerus is still fucking fat. I wonder if he still grabs his players by their balls.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Screw_Michigan wrote:St. John's is blowing out Duke right now at the Garden and it's only the end of the first half. 43-24 at the moment. This is certainly not the same Johnnies squad I saw Wednesday against G'town.
93-78 was the final. Cue what I said earlier . . .
Terry in Crapchester wrote:The Big East is a true meatgrinder this year.
Yeah, I know, that was a road game for Dook, and it's hard to win those. Thing is, St. John's is maybe the 10th or 11th best team in the Big East. And they convincingly beat a team from a power conference that figures to get no less than a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

I'm pretty sure that no conference has ever gotten more than eight bids in the NCAA tournament, ever. I'd be shocked if the Big East doesn't get more than eight this year.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I'm pretty sure that no conference has ever gotten more than eight bids in the NCAA tournament, ever. I'd be shocked if the Big East doesn't get more than eight this year.
I'm also pretty sure that no other major conference has 16 teams, which would make that feat much more easy to accomplish.

Although even on a % basis it looks like the Big East might still get the most in.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

on a % basis, in the 64 team era the Big 8 sent 5 teams at least 2 or 3 times from the late 80's to mid 90's. it's the same 60% that 10 is from the BE.

I'd guess the ACC has gone over 50% of membership over the last 25-30 years as well. must have, before expansion....in a Valvano/Smith/Crimmins/K/UVA was still pretty good/Wake year.
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Only limited time now, so I'll address the issue of relative conference strength later.

But I wanted to point out that ND today is coming off its longest layoff of the season, 10 days since its last game. Doubtless that layoff has helped ND in the polls under the circumstances -- ND's last win was against then-#2 Pitt, while many teams that had been ranked higher than ND have lost since that time. It'll be interesting to see what impact, if any, the layoff has on the court. Fortunately for ND, tonight's opponent is DePaul. It'll also be interesting to see what impact, if any, that changed travel arrangements in response to the storm have had against ND. Ordinarily, Chicago is only about a 90-minute drive from ND, and the players wouldn't be departing campus until today. In light of the storm, however, the team has been in Chicago since Tuesday.

ND also has another long layoff later in the season. That one isn't as long (7 days), but the first post-layoff opponent that time will be West Virginia, also on the road.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Props to Iowa for totally dominating Michigan State last night at Carver-Hawkeye. Iowa's best game of the year...nearly 60% shooting and a great hustling defensive performance. They showed a lot more energy than in some of their past performances and I hope it's a sign that McCaffery has things headed in the right direction. Indiana is up next on Saturday and they're much improved since Iowa throttled them in Iowa City. It will be a tough road game (aren't they all?). I think it's a sign of good things to come for Iowa and hope that they can land a couple of big guys for next year to improve the inside game. Basabe and Marble will be good players in the future but need to bulk up before next season and get Big Ten bodies.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

how can you have a 10 and 7 day layoff in a 16 team league?
"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Iowa beat an MSU team on the verge of quitting. Really not THAT impressive.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:Iowa beat an MSU team on the verge of quitting. Really not THAT impressive.
Although MSU sucks this year, I thought they were giving full effort up until last night. They just completely stopped guarding people. And I don't care if it's just Iowa - if you leave D1 caliber players wide open, they're going to knock them down.

I fully expected a close game, but never in my wildest dreams did I think MSU would get blown out by a 1-8 (in conference) Iowa team. They were never in the game, even early on. Iowa jumped out to like a 9-2 lead, and never looked back. It was pathetic.

Now there are underclassmen calling out upperclassmen, saying there's no senior leadership. Things are only going to get worse.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

King Crimson wrote:how can you have a 10 and 7 day layoff in a 16 team league?
The Big East's conference season isn't that much longer than most other conferences. The Big East plays an 18-game conference schedule. You play a home-and-home against 3 teams on a rotating basis (this year, ND drew Marquette, St. John's and UConn), and one game against every other team.

As a parenthetical comment, I would note that much of the criticism of the Big East comes from the conference scheduling, in that the in-conference SOS as compared between any two members can differ substantially. For the first 2 or 3 seasons of the current conference format, though, the Big East played a 16-game conference schedule including three home-and-homes, which meant that each team skipped two conference opponents for each season. In that regard, the 18-game conference schedule is an improvement, in that it evens out in-conference SOS somewhat. Now, the maximum variation in conference schedule between any two teams is 3/17 games (excluding head-to-head). Before, the variation in conference schedule between any two teams could've been, at least in theory, as high as 10/15 games (again excluding head-to-head).

As for the duration of the in-season layoffs, starting the conference schedule before New Year's Day probably has a little to do with that.

I suppose ND could have mixed in an OOC game or two during the layoff periods. During the 10-day stretch, it probably would've had to be against a nationally-prominent opponent on a weekend. The 7-day layoff is between consecutive Saturdays, though, so the only realistic OOC opponents would've come from either the Big 10, the MAC or maybe Kentucky (who ND already played earlier in the season, so probably out).
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Iowa beat an MSU team on the verge of quitting. Really not THAT impressive.
Maybe not "THAT impressive" but, realistically, any conference win by Iowa is impressive at this point. Yeah, MSU didn't play much defense but Iowa's defense out hustled and outplayed the Spartans the entire game and, as a result, MSU had no offense either. THAT was impressive....at least for Iowa fans who are looking for some signs of progress this year.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Props again to the Hawkeyes for the road win today at Indiana. Yeah, it was two conference bottom feeders but the Hoosiers had knocked off Illinois and Minnesota at home and Iowa was able to overcome the home court advantage. Cartwright was nails for Iowa and has turned in to a pretty good point guard, and no longer playing out of control like he was earlier in the season. Props to Fran McCaffery for getting him under control and understanding he is no longer playing JUCO ball. Basabe is showing that he has all of the tools to be a star and will be an absolute force when he puts on a few pounds of muscle.

As I said after the MSU game, it looks like McCaffery is getting the program headed in the right direction even though there are a number of glaring needs to be filled before they can become contenders in the Big Ten. It may happen sooner than I ever imagined. Back to back conference wins has not happened for a few years at Iowa, so bring on the Badgers and a 3 game winning streak.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

This Saturday would probably be an opportune time for tOSU to drop their first game. Don’t want to be headed into the NCAA tournament unbeaten. Way too much pressure.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:This Saturday would probably be an opportune time for tOSU to drop their first game. Don’t want to be headed into the NCAA tournament unbeaten. Way too much pressure.
Their next 4 games are:

@ Wisconsin
vs MSU
@ Purdue
vs Illinois

I think they'll drop one of those. Probably Purdue.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Colorado is out of any NCAA contention with last night's gag job at home to ATM.
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Work still left to do, of course, but if the season ended today, I think the tournament selection committee would be hard-pressed to leave St. John's out of the field of 68. 14-9 record, 6-5 in conference and a relatively impressive 5-7 vs. RPI Top 50 (one of those losses was a 5-point loss on the West Coast to St. Mary's in the season opener). Marquette is in a similar boat -- 15-9 overall, 6-5 in the Big East and 3-8 vs. RPI Top 50. A lot of hard-luck losses in the latter category -- Duke, Vandy, Wisconsin, Louisville, ND, and Villanova all by 5 points or less, with all of those games save Wisconsin on the road.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

St. John's is a lock, Terry. I still think Marquette is on the outside looking in.