random thoughts thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Re: random thoughts thread

Post by Mace »

Big Ten be damned. Go Butler!

I generally root for B10 teams to win in the tournament but rooting for the little guy overrides that.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mace wrote:Big Ten be damned. Go Butler!

I generally root for B10 teams to win in the tournament but rooting for the little guy overrides that.
Is Butler even considered a "little guy" any more? They almost won it all last year.

I'll be pulling for whoever Iowa is playing this weekend. Oh wait...
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Goober McTuber wrote:I'll be pulling for whoever Iowa is playing this weekend.
The Iowa City police department?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yeah, funny how ya turn into world beaters when facing NIT competition.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:Random thoughts?

Right now, Alabama could beat all but a couple of the 68 teams that were in the tournament.
Absolute bullshit. They would have been out the first weekend.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Sam,

You're not the first nor the last to think a team making a deep run in the Notgoodenough Invitational Tournament could do the same in the only tourney that matters.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:Random thoughts?

Right now, Alabama could beat all but a couple of the 68 teams that were in the tournament.
Absolute bullshit. They would have been out the first weekend.
Don't think so. They've hit their stride right on time for tourney play. They look like a different team than they did at mid-season.

I over-stated a bit in saying "all but a couple". I over-stated a lot actually. But they're definitely as good as half the 68.
Right. Which generally puts them out of the tournament the first weekend, since only a fourth of the tournament makes it to the Sweet 16.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And they still most likely would have been out the first weekend.

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

No doubt that Bama is a better team than some of the teams that made the NCAA tourney. Most of the teams in that category, however, received automatic bids.

Bottom line, Sam, is that you don't have much of a leg to stand on unless and until the NCAA modifies its rules on automatic bids. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Sudden Sam wrote:They've hit their stride right on time for tourney play.
I was at UConn in 88 when we won the NIT. The place was a madhouse. Bonfires in the middle of the Jungle Quad. People carrying Ms. Pac-Man machines out of their dorms and throwing it onto the fire. Sofas. Beds. Pretty much anything a bunch of drunk-ass college kids could get their hands on. I also remember people lighting trees on fire. Why? Who the fuck knows. Chicks getting naked. People throwing up on each other. Morons chanting, "we're number one. We're number one."

We were young. Drunk. Stupid. And looking for any reason to party. What's your excuse?

It's the fucking NIT, man. No one cares what Alabama could have done. You didn't make it.

Get fucked.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:They've hit their stride right on time for tourney play.
It's the fucking NIT, man. No one cares what Alabama could have done. You didn't make it.
He should be referring to UConn. Nice run they have going right now.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Yeah -- I was hoping for Duke tomorrow though. You'd think that I am not still bitter about 1990 and 1991... but I am. It doesn't matter that we beat Duke in both 1999 and 2004. I will always hate Duke. I will always want the opportunity to push Koach K's stool in.

This year's team has far exceeded expectations (picked to finish 10th in the Big East.) So a good argument can be made that anything beyond the Elite Eight as being gravy.

However. Once you reach this point, anything less than another title will suck. But still, it's been one heck of an unexpected ride.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

My son called me this morning and said he is in the 99.8 %tile of the ESPN tournament challenge for $10,000, and, according to his computations, he will win it if UNC and Kansas lose, and tOSU wins the tournament. He's in the top 10,000 of 4.7 million entrees. I should have had him fill out my bracket.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Mace wrote:Big Ten be damned. Go Butler!

Is Butler even considered a "little guy" any more? They almost won it all last year.

I'll be pulling for whoever Iowa is playing this weekend. Oh wait...
If your school has an enrollment of 4,400 students and you're playing in the NCAA tournament, you're the Hickory of the field. Should they ever win the title, you can look for Hoosiers II to begin filming.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It is amazing to think that IU has shit the bed so much that fucking Butler is reaping the benefits. Go Butler. Fuck IU.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Mace wrote:My son called me this morning and said he is in the 99.8 %tile of the ESPN tournament challenge for $10,000, and, according to his computations, he will win it if UNC and Kansas lose, and tOSU wins the tournament. He's in the top 10,000 of 4.7 million entrees. I should have had him fill out my bracket.
adios, son.

if Kansas actually had to play someone......you'd like to pick against them. 2 game tournament for KU. when was the last time a 1 had to play a double digit seed to make the FF? i'm sure it's on ESPN, but i don't watch that shit.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:when was the last time a 1 had to play a double digit seed to make the FF?
2001, I believe - I read a story about it the other day but damned if I can remember who it was.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Michigan State-Temple, 2001, Whitey.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mace wrote:My son called me this morning and said he is in the 99.8 %tile of the ESPN tournament challenge for $10,000, and, according to his computations, he will win it if UNC and Kansas lose, and tOSU wins the tournament.
Damn. He was probably only 5 picks away from winning the 10K.

-JON
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

FUCK SHIT PISS FUCK

FIRST OFF...PROPS to Kentucky...they came in with a mindset/gameplan and stuck to it...great win by them...

best chance for tOSU since the Oden years...Buford has the worst shooting night of the year...ugh...Diebler ties it...now here is my question...do you foul? Put them on the line with 20 seconds left and still have a chance to win with a 2 (if they miss a foul shot) or a 3...or do you take your chances like they did...I think with 5 seconds left craft had other options...but oh well...nice ride for the seniors just hate to see them go out like that...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:It is amazing to think that IU has shit the bed so much that fucking Butler is reaping the benefits. Go Butler. Fuck IU.
Not only that, but Purdouche and ND were top 10 caliber teams all season, yet Butler is the Indiana team still alive. Amazing.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

King Crimson wrote:
Mace wrote:My son called me this morning and said he is in the 99.8 %tile of the ESPN tournament challenge for $10,000, and, according to his computations, he will win it if UNC and Kansas lose, and tOSU wins the tournament. He's in the top 10,000 of 4.7 million entrees. I should have had him fill out my bracket.
adios, son.

if Kansas actually had to play someone......you'd like to pick against them. 2 game tournament for KU. when was the last time a 1 had to play a double digit seed to make the FF? i'm sure it's on ESPN, but i don't watch that shit.
Yep, he's done. Hope he didn't spend the ten grand.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Unreal... :shock:
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

There is a God!

Rack VCU! Gonna be a sweeeeet day at work to-morry! :mrgreen:
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Truman wrote:There is a God!

Rack VCU! Gonna be a sweeeeet day at work to-morry! :mrgreen:
they do it every year for us, don't they?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Thank the Creator, KC. You have any idea how insufferable those people are?! Just be happy they suck at football....
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Truman wrote:Thank the Creator, KC. You have any idea how insufferable those people are?! Just be happy they suck at football....
i don't even want to know...i just take it and move on.
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Goober McTuber wrote:I’ll also pull for the WCHA teams in the hockey tournament, particularly Denver.
Since you brought up the WCHA, from what I've read on some ND boards, it looks like when the Big Ten adds hockey the CCHA will disband and ND will wind up in the WCHA. Just so's ya know. Of course, Wisconsin will be out of it by then.

I still like my original idea better, though: ND, Providence and UConn become hockey-only members of the Big Ten in exchange for Penn State and tOSU becoming lacrosse-only members of the Big East. I don't think that will ever happen, but then again, Swarbrick was able to get Indianapolis a Super Bowl. So if he ever got onboard with this idea, who knows?

And fwiw, I root for every member of the Big East in the tourney unless they're playing ND. That might sound strange coming from ND fan, but: (1) college basketball differs significantly from college football, certainly as far as ND is concerned; and (2) due to certain circumstances, I became a Big East advocate long before ND ever joined.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I still like my original idea better, though: ND, Providence and UConn become hockey-only members of the Big Ten
No need to further weaken and dilute the Big 10 hockey conference. We’ve already got MSU, tOSU and a brand new PSU program. No thanks.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I’ll also pull for the WCHA teams in the hockey tournament, particularly Denver.
Since you brought up the WCHA, from what I've read on some ND boards, it looks like when the Big Ten adds hockey the CCHA will disband and ND will wind up in the WCHA. Just so's ya know. Of course, Wisconsin will be out of it by then.

I still like my original idea better, though: ND, Providence and UConn become hockey-only members of the Big Ten in exchange for Penn State and tOSU becoming lacrosse-only members of the Big East. I don't think that will ever happen, but then again, Swarbrick was able to get Indianapolis a Super Bowl. So if he ever got onboard with this idea, who knows?

And fwiw, I root for every member of the Big East in the tourney unless they're playing ND. That might sound strange coming from ND fan, but: (1) college basketball differs significantly from college football, certainly as far as ND is concerned; and (2) due to certain circumstances, I became a Big East advocate long before ND ever joined.
1) The CCHA isn't disbanding.

2) ND isn't going anywhere. They'll have their own personal fifedom in the CCHA. It'll be Miami, ND and two other upstarts fighting for league crowns every season.

3) Your hockey visa vis lacrosse scenario is ludicrous. What are you on?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:No need to further weaken and dilute the Big 10 hockey conference. We’ve already got MSU, tOSU and a brand new PSU program. No thanks.
I'll give you partial credit for admitting that. The Big 11 league is going to be garbage for the first five years.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Screw_Michigan wrote:1) The CCHA isn't disbanding.
You know more about college hockey than I do, but I'm going based on what's been posted on ND Nation. As has been mentioned several times in the past, there are a number of posters on that site with inside access to ND's athletic department.
2) ND isn't going anywhere. They'll have their own personal fifedom in the CCHA. It'll be Miami, ND and two other upstarts fighting for league crowns every season.
See above. If the CCHA disbands, they have no choice.
3) Your hockey visa vis lacrosse scenario is ludicrous. What are you on?
I mainly based it on the BTN. Obviously, the Big Ten adding hockey was with an eye toward the BTN. If the Big Ten were to have some stake, even at a limited level, in the Big East for lacrosse, it might be possible to negotiate a television deal between the BTN and Big East lacrosse.

Of course, neither hockey nor lacrosse carries the sort of ratings that football or men's basketball carries. But by the same token, hockey would beat gymnastics in ratings, and lacrosse would beat tennis or golf in ratings (we're talking about college sports here).

As far as UConn and Providence diluting the Big Ten in hockey, the same argument goes for Penn State and tOSU vis a vis Big East lacrosse. But by the same token, it's an opportunity for all of those programs to improve by facing tougher competition than they currently face.

I admitted that it's a longshot at best, though probably not for the reasons you insinuate. Rather, it's a longshot because it would require a certain level of partnership between the Big Ten, the Big East and ND.