random thoughts thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

random thoughts thread

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Figured I'd create a thread for general musings on your team, the season, etc. Not enough interest in "specific" topics it seems.

Almost an epic chokejob by MSU last night. Up 13 with 3 minutes to go and Northwestern cut it to 1 with seconds left. Unbelievable. This team continues to struggle putting opponents away. But that'll happen when you can't hit free throws, or even get to the line for that matter. NU had 24 FTs to MSU's 5. I believe MSU didn't even go to the line until about 11 minutes left in the 2nd half. How does that happen? And it's not like they were just shooting jumpers, they were working the paint. Team is starting to look good though, and a starting 5 has finally been cemented (happened quicker than normal).

RACK the Johnnies for upsetting Georgetown. I've adopted St. John's as my Big East rooting interest since I like Steve Lavin. The work he did for espn was $$. The way he would start romanticizing about the game was always good for a chuckle.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: random thoughts thread

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Worst start so far: Georgetown. Without a gimme-win against DePaul, G'town could be 0-3. We'll see if this team has any stones against WV on Saturday.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Ohio State's OOC schedule has been a complete joke. No way to give a fair assessment at this point when all we've done in the last couple months is beat up on the likes of Florida Gulf Coast.

At least MSU is getting the big-game experience it needs for Izzo to work his magic come March. Duke, UConn, Syracuse, Texas -- those are tough games. By tourney time, I fear tOSU could drop an early rounder just at the first sight of a close game.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

By tourney time, I fear tOSU could drop an early rounder just at the first sight of a close game.
Buckeyes will have plenty of close games between now and tourney time. That's the best starting lineup in the country. There's plenty of tournament experience on that team too, so I wouldn't expect any type of letdown come March. They can beat anyone, I don't care who they played OOC. Nobody played anyone except a few teams. College basketball (and football) non-conference is a joke anymore. Nobody plays anyone unless it is in some tournament. Was looking at schedules to see who had beaten who so far and I noticed 99% of the teams have beaten 1 good team or less.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Oh, and Lance.......

Buckeyes are going down tonight!

not really
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Oklahoma is terrible, but it was to be expected. have double digit losses to any top 150 rpi type team (RPI in a month, not now) they've played. lost to Chaminade, college basketball's golden sombrero or Mendoza line.

if they win 5 or 6 conference games, i'll be stunned. i predict 4-12.

they play hard and unselfishly, but who wouldn't if this time last year you thought you'd still be at JUCO instead of D-1. some young talent (Cam Clark), a 4 star transfer eligible next year (Romero Osby), and a lot of "glue" guys getting some quality minutes. problem is the "glue" guys are needed to put the ball in the hole this year. as long as they continue to play hard and improve on the floor (if not on the scoreboard)....i think next year will be much better as in maybe the NIT, and then some quality squads after that. speaking in a glass half-full sort of optimism. could easily go south, too. Capel is needing to win back OU fan a bit.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Mizzou gonna have a lot of schollies available after next year. Be like any progrm after Calipari left.
why is my neighborhood on fire
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

iowa up 6 at half vs OSU. go hawks!
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Good effort by the Hawkeyes tonight, but just not good enough. 73-68 final.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Another good effort, but again........

First 10 minutes of the 2nd half complete meltdown. I have never seen anything like it in my life. We keep giving up about 800 points the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half after playing well in the first half. Every single game.

Nice 1st half by Basabe. Damn that Sullinger. He's already good enough that the refs give him every call.

If we just could have gotten a stop or 2 down the stretch, we might have won this thing. But, like every Iowa team over the past 10-15 years.........we can't win a game unless we lead at the under-4 timeout. I think we have 1 win in the last 6 years where we weren't at least tied at the final TV timeout. That's nearly impossible, but when you're cursed........

Still love watching this team. I know they'll probably win 3 conference games, but they're a fun team to watch because they bust their asses out there. They don't know they're supposed to get drilled by Ohio State. It's the complete opposite of the last few years where we would just bend over and take it from teams like this.

I love me some effort! Give me effort and I will praise you.

We're gonna get somebody soon. Maybe a Minnesota or Michigan or Michigan State. Someone decent is going to run into a buzzsaw against Iowa......soon.

But for the love of fucking god...........can't we ever just pull one damn game out from behind? Ever? Arrrgggghhh!!
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Oh, and Bryce Cartwright has great athleticism but he has the lowest basketball IQ of any player I have ever seen. I want to pull my pubic hairs out watching him play basketball.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

There was a Buckeye b-ball game last night?!?

Just kidding... :D
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Every UConn fan I know was all geeked up about the hot start, especially after the wins over MSU and Kuntucky. The Huskies have come crashing to the earth the past couple of weeks. Close wins against shit opponents and losses to ND and Pitt (blown the fuck out, actually.)

Regardless, they are still way better than I thought they'd be and this young team will continue to improve as the year goes on. I am expecting the Sweet Sixteen now.. and maybe more.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I laid some modest coin last night on Michigan +12 @ Wisky. Michigan usually plays well at the Kohl Center, plus I thought that was a big spread for a conference game featuring two competitive teams (Michigan being "competitive", Wisky being pretty good).

Michigan was up 2 at the half and looking good. There's some talent on that team. Then, in typical John Threeline fashion, they fell in love with the perimeter shots in the 2nd half, and clanked a whole bunch of them to a loss.

Dear Stu Douglas: you don't HAVE to shoot every single 3 from 7 feet behind the line, you know.

Wisky fell into the same mode in that 2nd half. It was nothing but a 3 fest, except UW was actually hitting them. Also, I think they didn't register their first flop until like 16 mins left in the 2nd half. So props to them. Horrible basketball. Of course, scUM blew the spread, missed some bunnies underneath the basket at the end, and went on to get trounced by 16.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Close wins against shit opponents and losses to ND and Pitt
Both Pitt and ND look really good. Especially impressed with Pitt. #1 in the nation in rebounding I believe, plus they are not turning the ball over. Damned good recipe for success.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Pitt quietly wins 25 games every year and then seems to bust out of the Big Dance by the end of the first weekend.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Except for a whole 2 seasons ago when they got to a Final 4 and only lost by 2 to Villanova.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Except for a whole 2 seasons ago when they got to a Final 4 and only lost by 2 to Villanova.
That was the Elite Eight, moron. Pitt hasn't been to a Final Four since 1941.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Oh yeah, that's right. Still, a tad further than the "first weekend."
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Oh yeah, that's right. Still, a tad further than the "first weekend."
Aww....forgot that run they had. But it's seemed like they've won 25 games for the past decade and almost always gone out after the 1st weekend.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

aaaaaaaaaaand a loss to Penn St.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck this team. MSU will be staring down the barrel of a dreaded 8/9 seed...if they're even that lucky.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Brutal, just like G'town.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Watching the Hokies play is bad for my blood pressure. Even when they leading, I still feel like the game is going to end poorly. I think I am am growing weary of Greenberg as a coach despite his incoming Top 20 class.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I'm happy with the way ND has played this season -- for the most part. Then along comes a game like the Marquette game on Monday, and I'm reminded as to why I get so frustrated with Mike Brey.

No true big man, and we're STILL too reliant on the 3, although perhaps not so much as in years past. But a senior-dominated lineup, including a number of players who are capable of picking up the slack on any given gameday, could mean good things for this team.

Where do I think this will lead? Prolly the semfinals of the BET, a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, hopefully the Chicago pod site but more likely Tampa or Denver. And a second-round loss in the NCAA tourney, as per usualm.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A&M has made a hot start beating a lot of crappy teams, but they've also beaten a couple top 25 teams as well as starting off conference play with a lopsided win over Oklahoma on the road. Hosting Okie St. tonight who just put a whoopin' on a ranked Kansas St. If we win tonight, I think we're legit. I didn't think we'd be this good losing Donald Sloan. I still worry about who the go-to guy is. We keep hearing Khris Middleton, but I'm just not seeing it yet. He's way too streaky, and I hate having a jump-shooter as the go-to person. I like someone who can get to the paint and create opportunities. Dash Harris is good at doing that from the point, but he has no outside shot. Walkup is a short white #4...enough said. This team I can see making it to the tourney again but not winning more than 1 game.

It's funny, I used to LOVE the NCAA tourney. I would watch damn near every game every year...until A&M started making regular appearances. Now, when we lose, I seriously have no desire to watch anymore games. Wierd how that is. I just grew up knowing we always sucked and I never had a vested interest in the NCAA tourney. Funny how a little success changes that.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I wonder who was better in the sack in her prime, Hedy Lamarr or Carole Lombard? Hedy Lamarr was drop dead gorgeous and actually did a nude scene in the 1930s, but Carole Lombard had a certain slutiness about her.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. The next test for me is to have success on the road against a quality team. We're @ t.u. next week after Misery this weekend. We go 2-0 in the next 2, and we should be top 8.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

and the Colorado juggernaut rolls on. looks like there won't be nearly the legroom in the GA seats as i've grown accustomed in the past decade.

though, keep in mind KSU hasn't been at full-strength at OSU or against Colorado....they are 3-3 since the December suspensions of Pullen and Kelly. CU was Kelly's last suspended game.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

It is kind of funny that CU's swan song in Manhattan ends with a W. It would be even funnier if Nebraska won there, too.

It was good to see Johnny Orr back at Hilton last night. I read some stories in the Iowa papers this morning about how "the place was rocking," but ESPN2 showed plenty of empty seats.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I went to the Fordham-GW game last night. Fordham stinks but GW played great in the last 10 minutes to pull away. GW is 3-0 in A-10 so far (LaSalle, St. Joe's, Fordham) and while they haven't taken on the top teams in the league yet, they are beating the teams they are supposed to beat (as opposed to last year) and that is a huge step towards making the league tourney this season.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. .
hard to know.....you guys have some work to do as you suggest. i think you guys are a legit top 25 team and eventually a 5-9 seed but while you have some bigs who can run the floor...both OU and OSU are undersized teams. Good matchups for the Ags. Moses is listed at 6' 6", Olekemi 6' 7" and Pilgrim is 6' 8". Pokey State got KSU without Curtis Kelly, as well. OU just sucks and has no bigs.

and for some reason i find Dash Harris one of the more annoying players in the league. don't know why, just is. Dash is a stupid thing to call yourself, at the very least. not annoying as a good player like Drew Gooden or Ivan McFarland, just annoying. come to think of it, Mark Turgeon was an annoying fuck as a player as well.
Last edited by King Crimson on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Big win for MSU on Tuesday night over tFlopping Vadgers of Wisconsin. Dropping to 2-2 in conference play would've sucked hard. Down by 9 with about 3 mins left, MSU forced some turnovers and hit shots to tie and send it into OT, and escaped with the W. Wisky also contributed with some boneheaded plays, which, quite honestly, is uncharacteristic of them.

It was a big win, but I still see the same old problems plaguing this team. Only difference this time was seemingly more effort and energy.

Ohio St is the best team in the conference, but even they're beatable. Three times in a row now they've been tested by Iowa, Minny, and Michigan. They'll drop some games.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

btw, Duke finally has to play a tough road game and they lose, though FSU typically plays them tough in Tally it seems. If Coach K has any chink in philosophy I think it's coddling his teams too much. He lets them beat up on everyone at Cameron, and they don't seem too battle tested when they go on the road. Still, the man has won a buttload of games so it would appear to be a minor criticism.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:If Coach K has any chink in philosophy I think it's coddling his teams too much. He lets them beat up on everyone at Cameron, and they don't seem too battle tested when they go on the road.
That doesn't count because every fucking coach is like that. Gary Williams, JT3, Mike Brey, Boeheim, etc. Izzo is the rare exception in the non-conference scheduling world.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: though FSU typically plays them tough in Tally it seems.
i was watching CU-KSU with a buddy last night and remarked about that....does seem Duke struggles disproportionately with FSU over the years.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:rare exception
I get it. You're trying to draw Dinsdale in here.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:btw, Duke finally has to play a tough road game and they lose, though FSU typically plays them tough in Tally it seems. If Coach K has any chink in philosophy I think it's coddling his teams too much. He lets them beat up on everyone at Cameron, and they don't seem too battle tested when they go on the road. Still, the man has won a buttload of games so it would appear to be a minor criticism.
fwiw, Duke has a history of playing OOC road games later in the season, right in the middle of ACC play. I went to the Duke-G'Town game last year, and that was in late January. They've done the same with UCLA, Temple, St. John's (ok, they've sucked for a solid decade, but still...), and a few others.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

IndyFrisco wrote:Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. The next test for me is to have success on the road against a quality team. We're @ t.u. next week after Misery this weekend. We go 2-0 in the next 2, and we should be top 8.
Mizzou lost the game today from the free throw line. 9-19, are you kidding me? Poor decision making at the end of regulation and OT cost them a big road win. That, and ATM getting to the line twice as much and actually making most of theirs.

Helluva game though. Back and forth, up and down, for 45 minutes.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Well, 71-48 over Okie State last night tells me that we are for realz maybe. The next test for me is to have success on the road against a quality team. We're @ t.u. next week after Misery this weekend. We go 2-0 in the next 2, and we should be top 8.
Mizzou lost the game today from the free throw line. 9-19, are you kidding me? Poor decision making at the end of regulation and OT cost them a big road win. That, and ATM getting to the line twice as much and actually making most of theirs.

Helluva game though. Back and forth, up and down, for 45 minutes.
great game. fun to watch as an impartial hoops fan. but, yeah, 9-19 sucks and MU is up 4 with .50 left? ouch. Colorado-OSU was also a good one.

try and keep my lunch down watching OU @ UT, now
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

We suck... the end.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.