Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Christmas Dinner

Post by Mikey »

Spice crusted prime rib
Root vegetables gratin
Caesar salad

Devil's food cake with dark chocolate frosting

I'll be starting in a couple of hours and will post a PET later if I remember to take pictures.
Mikey

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by Mikey »

Ingredients for the gratin:
potatoes
celery root
parsnips
shallot
Fontina cheese
heavy cream
nutmeg
salt (not shown)

Love the new mandolin slicer

Ready to go in the oven

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ingredients for the crust that will go on the roast

Here's the crust stuff ready to get smeared on the meat

Here's our 4 bone roast. It's going in the oven right now for 30 minutes at 500 deg before getting the crust applied.

I got this recipe from Sunset Magazine and it had better come out good. The meat was not cheap.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Sounds Yummo Mikey
The corner of my thumb grew back after my run in with my mandolin slicer
though it's still exceptionally sensitive to touch

My Christmas day food review

breakfast
wholemeal peach pancakes with maple syrup
1 cup wholemeal SR, flour 1 cup oat milk, 1 egg, pinch salt, 1 ripe peach coarsely grated mix & panfry you know the drill

Lunch
Roasted Free range Chicken & Free range Pork ( I'm a carnivore but I like my food to at least have had a happy life before we eat it)
with apple & macadamia nut stuffing,
breadcrumbs made from wholegrain sunflower seed bread, apple, onion, roughly chopped macadamia nuts,little garlic, salt,fresh cracked pepper &dash of mixed herbs
extra crispy crackling on the Pork roast nomnom
Roasted Potato, golden sweet potato, pumpkin & carrots
I steamed the veg the night before then rolled them in cold pressed EVOO, a splash of vinegar, sea salt & fresh cracked pepper medley
before roasting to a crispy golden brown
& Gravy make with the juices of the pork & chicken, cornflour, a little Chinese cooking wine, grated clove of garlic, salt pepper & a little rosemary, best gravy yet!!

No dessert too full from lunch
dinner was roast pork apple sauce & gravy sandwiches

will be making bubble & squeak with the leftover veges for lunch tomorrow
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My family decided for Christmas that we'd just to appetizers this year. WTF is that? For y part, I made bacon wrapped turkey breast rollups. Smoked on cherry wood with a touch of hickory at the end. Basted in my mild BBQ sauce. It was good, but fuck'em next year. I'm making a nice main dish again. Everyone loved my fried turkey for Thanksgiving and they were dissapointed I didn't do it again.

I do look forward to the day I can cook a whole Christmas dinner myself. Family is just too big here though
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

This is the roast, all pasted up and ready to to in the oven.

Here's the roast, just out of the oven. It was awesome. Perfectly rare next to the bone and crispy on the outside. I only do rib roasts once or twice a year so it tends to be somewhat hit and miss. I did one last year on New Year's day it came out medium in the middle, which is overcooked IMO. Pulled this one out when the center reached 115 deg F in the center and tented it with foil for 30 minutes.

Here's the caesar salad, with dressing made from scratch.

This was really a pretty easy dinner to fix because I was only cooking for us four and only those three dishes. Good thing because I'm just not feeling all that well today and don't have much of an appetite. Didn't even drink any wine with the dinner.

Missjo, it seems like you've been eating pretty well today. Glad to hear your thumb is better. The tip of my pinky is still numb but I've pretty much gotten used to it. I was thinking of pouring a bunch of ketchup on my new mandolin, letting it drip down the counter and then taking a picture if it for my PET, with the caption "should have used the vegetable holder". Too much work though.

Last year we were visiting my stepdaughter and grandkids in New Jersey and had her husband's extended family over for Christmas dinner. Prolly 12-15 people. I cooked a bone-in pork loin roast in her kitchen that was really good. 8 bones on that one, I think.

That's all for now. Chocolate cake later.

Merry Christmas everybody!!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:The meat was not cheap.

From the looks of it, I'm guessing the store didn't pay you to haul it off.

I had a small rib roast (2 or 3 bones), but didn't quite get around to it -- but the leftover slow roasted chicken was just fine.

But I'll tell ya what -- my old buddy's mother (kind of my adopted mom) does a bigazz rib roast for Xmas every year (didn't make it over there, and she has health problems at present -- I'll go in the next couple of days).

Every year just about, she tries something new. In recent years, she did one in a very interesting way:

In a big roasting pan. Then packs the whole outside in rock salt (sounds weird, keeps the juices in).

Then, in the morning, she stuck that sucker in the oven at 200 degrees. Yup, 200.

Took just about all day (probably 6-7 hours), but you want to talk tender prime rib?

Insane, just insane.

Speaking of, Friday I found myself in posession of a decent sized whole chicken. Rubbed the outside with some spices (it was actually all-in-one chicken spice, so I won't list the individual ones, but it ain't rocket science). Put it in a roasting pan (on the wire rack) and baked it at 220 degrees for about 5 hours, then when the sides went in (green bean casserole and some nice stuffing), and I left the bird on the bottom rack at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Soggy, falling off the bone goodness.

Did a small turkey that way last year, which was the best oven cooked bird ever. Turkey is a little different to slow roast, but not much.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

missjo wrote:extra crispy crackling on the Pork roast

I'm guessing the non-Limey people have no idea what you're talking about.

Much of the USA calls that "fatback."

Mexicans cut it off beforehand, and throw it in a fryer, called chicharon.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
In a big roasting pan. Then packs the whole outside in rock salt (sounds weird, keeps the juices in).
Tried something like that once and it came out tasting...salty (at least the outside part). I must have done something wrong.

The one I did last night was great but I'm convinced that nothing really beats the classic salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Sear it at a high temp and then cook it slow.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I served appetizers and meal. Stuffed mushrooms, raw veggies/dip, pigs in a blanket, assorted cheese and salami

Dinner: Beef roast, holiday mashed potatoes, salad (iceberg, feta, cucumber, candied pecans)

Neighbors bring me a huge dessert assortment of cookies and candies.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:I had a small rib roast (2 or 3 bones), but didn't quite get around to it

Played around a bit with it. Was actually a ribeye roast.

Rubbed it with some prepared steak rub shit that was in the rack.

Instead of searing it in a hot pan as I'd usually do, I wrapped the little sucker in foil (2.4LBS). Stuck it in the oven at 225. Flipped it after about 45 minutes. After about 1.5 hours, turned it up to 325 for about half an hour -- because I was in the kitchen and felt like it. Turned the oven off, and left it in there while other shit was prepped.

Stupidgood.

Outside still had a maillard thing going on, juicy and tender as all hell.

I still think the 200 thing is better, just bring Snickers.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote:I served appetizers and meal. Stuffed mushrooms, raw veggies/dip, pigs in a blanket, assorted cheese and salami

Dinner: Beef roast, holiday mashed potatoes, salad (iceberg, feta, cucumber, candied pecans)

Just curious, what makes the mashed potatoes "holiday"? Do you dye them red and/or green? Do you mix and match sweet and russet? Or is it simply the sweet potato with marshmallows on top?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:
trev wrote:I served appetizers and meal. Stuffed mushrooms, raw veggies/dip, pigs in a blanket, assorted cheese and salami

Just curious, what makes the mashed potatoes "holiday"?
She adds Grey Goose instead of Smirnoff.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Holiday potatoes are just mashed potatoes with cream cheese and half/half. You can top with butter and bake.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Not trying to be confrontational or anything, but that sounds like a small deviation from standard mashed taters and the use of the work Holiday in the name is just for effect. If that's what you were shooting for, I get it. Kinda like Holiday Corn on the Cobb where you cover in garlic salt, pepper and goat cheese.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Yes. It's just a small difference. It's something you have on holidays. Normal days you don't add cream cheese and half/half. You make them less rich, I assume. I'm really not trying to get over with the name. Really. It's just what they are called. Do we really want to stoop as low as mashed potato smack?

:D
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Only holiday mashed taters I know of are for the 4th of July -- red, white, and blue taters.

It's mashed taters made from red potatoes (skins on), with bleu (or blue) cheese, and bacon bit -- kinda makes it red white and blue, kinda. Tasty though.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote: Do we really want to stoop as low as mashed potato smack?
I thought I was pretty clear with my "not trying to be confrontational" precursor. I really wasn't. Before I initially asked you what holiday mashed potatoes were, I googled for a recipe and could find nothing similar across various sites as to what exactly holiday mashed taters were. Potatoes are pretty much my favorite food besides cow. I have cooked them in ways you would not imagine. I had just never heard of the holiday taters and wondered what I was missing. After your explanation, I came to the conclusion not much in that I have had them similar to the way you had described.

Fair enough?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

In fact, smackoholic said some very faggy things to me last night in chat when I was describing the BBQ Twice Baked Potato I was having for dinner. I eat potatoes almost every day. I also told his to quit being faggy.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I wanted to fix cheesy scalloped but the boys over rode my decision and wanted the mashed.

On a normal day, one would just add butter, milk, salt, pepper. For a holiday, you can make these ahead of time and bake. They are good.

Now, I have made twiced baked in the past, but how does the BBQ come in?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote:Now, I have made twiced baked in the past, but how does the BBQ come in?
I caramelize onions with butter, salt and pepper for 1 hour. I always take the electric griddle to the garage on Sundays and caramelize 4 onions at once to be used throughout the week as I like onions in damn near every meal. I also have pounds and pounds of pulled pork I have smoked in quart freezer bags and vac-sealed. And of course, I have a few jars of BBQ sauce laying around.

So, when I get on my BBQ potato kick, which is every other week or so lately, I get 5 russet potatoes from the g-store. I cover them in olive oil then cover the outside with Tony Chachares. I bake them and then spoon out the tater into a bowl. I add butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, caramelized onions, pulled pork, BBQ sauce (lots) and cheddar cheese. Mix well and then fill potato skin. I put these in our everyday oven safe dishes and cover with plastic wrap.

When it is time to recook, I then unwrap and add a mound of cheddar cheese to the top and bake in toaster oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Top cheese gets all crispy and the inside is heavenly. I'll be having one tonight. I'll go ahead and take a pic and post it here. You eat everything in the bowl especially the skin that is crispy from the oil and tasty from the Tony's.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:Now, I have made twiced baked in the past, but how does the BBQ come in?
You asked...

:?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:I have cooked them in ways you would not imagine.
I've got a pretty good imagination...

but I'm sure you have.

(You prolly couldn't outdo smackaholic's imagination, though)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Hyperbole Mikey. Was just trying to convey my fondness for the tater.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:Hyperbole Mikey. Was just trying to convey my fondness for the tater.
Hyperbole maybe, but I'm pretty sure you've cooked taters in ways that I can't (or at least wouldn't) imagine.

Like what you just described. Sounds good, but it's not something I've ever imagined.
OK, now I have.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Oh, I thought you were being a smart ass.

I got 3 kids here now 3 weeks, 3 years and 5 years. Mommy has girls night out. I will post some of my potato usages later.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Ok, BBQ tater in the toaster oven. Cheese starting to melt.

Oh, and I'm liking the new iPad.

Thnk God Baby frisco is sleeping. The milk keg is out for the night, and we will attempt bottle for the first time when she wakes up hungry.

Speaking of hungry...I smell the BBQ now. damn nice...
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Potatoes and bbq sauce?

Not too sure about that combo....
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:
missjo wrote:extra crispy crackling on the Pork roast

I'm guessing the non-Limey people have no idea what you're talking about.

Much of the USA calls that "fatback."
Ah...no. I don't know if her roast was cut from the loin or shoulder but it's a totally different cut than fatback.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I ended up cooking for 25 at Christmas this year. I did two 9 lbs (2 X 4.5 lbs loins butterflyed, folded and tied) pork loin roasts. I brined the roasts and packed them in garlic/rosemary paste. Served with garlic mashed potatoes, sage & pork sausage stuffing and an apple walnut salad with honey mustard vinaigrette.

It turned out very well but honestly I was too wiped out to enjoy it much. I just polished off the last of the leftover roast by broiling it for five minutes with teriyaki glaze.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I forgot to come back and post the final BBQ tater pics.

Almost done!

Finally! Time to eat. Perfectly crusted cheddar.

Digging in.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

As for BBQ on a baked potato, I don't know, maybe it's a Texas thing. I worked at a Jason's Deli one summer in college. I made the potatoes. I went to the Jason's Deli website and here are the potatoes listed on the menu. Googled some pics up too of the different taters.
Major Idaho potatoes are stuffed over their
oven-baked edges. Prefer a smaller portion?
Just ask and it’s done. $1 off smaller portions

Spud Au Broc®
Covered with broccoli cheese soup, cheddar,
fresh broccoli, bacon, green onions. 6.19
The Plain Jane®
Natural buttery blend, cheddar, sour cream,
bacon, green onions. 6.19
Pollo Mexicano
Marinated chicken breast, cheddar, sour cream,
natural buttery blend, southwest spices and
fresh-made pico de gallo. 6.39
Texas Style Spud®
Smoked barbecue, cheddar, natural buttery blend. 6.39
Now, when I worked there, we had a few other potatoes. One was called the Ole which was a potato with butter, sour cream, chili, cheddar and topped with red onions. Found a pic of one.

We had a veggie potato that was butter, sour cream and assorted steamed veggies topped with some cheese soup. Each potato was about 2 pounds. Checking their website, the only Jason's Deli in Cali is in Riverside, CA.

Jason's Deli is also famous for their muff...that's muffaletta.

Veggie style:

Meaty:
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

All look great except the one with bbq sauce.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote:All look great except the one with bbq sauce.
Well of course, that one looks like Cinder's gash and who'd want to eat that (sup Otis?) I know they say you eat with your eyes first. There's plenty of foods that are not appealing to the eye yet are very much so to the pallate.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I guess I just don't love bbq sauce enough. I'd say "bbq" anything would be one of my last choices. Combined with potato, even less. Would not mind on some chicken.

I know it's your specialty though, so no disrespect of the bbq or anything.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

By the way, the pork on Christmas is wrong. Beef on Christmas. But if someone else is cooking, I would not complain.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote:I guess I just don't love bbq sauce enough. I'd say "bbq" anything would be one of my last choices.
Ah, makes sense now. BBQ is my favorite so I incorporate it into a lot of my meals. Not that I don't branch out, but my recent meatloaf I mad, instead of ketchup, I used BBQ sauce. If you're not a fan of BBQ, I can see how you would not enjoy it. My meatloaf was smoked on the smoker for 1 hour at low heat just to get a little smoke flavor in it and then finished in the oven.
trev wrote:By the way, the pork on Christmas is wrong. Beef on Christmas. But if someone else is cooking, I would not complain.
Last year, I catered the Christmas dinner (at least the meat portion) for 50 people. I did smoked beef brisket, and it was to die for. Most of these Indiana folk had never had brisket before I had made it for them. Due to some family issues, we didn't do Christmas dinner but the appetizers. I was told someone else was doing a beef tenderloin so I chose to do the BBQ bacon wrapped turkey. Ended up, the person who was supposed to do the beef tenderloin got lazy and had BBQ pulled chicken catered.

Next year, I'm doing what the fuck I want (and what everyone else there wants.)
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:I would not complain.
Yes you would. At least until you got the teeth slapped out of your head.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Last night we finally finished the rib roast that I cooked on 12/25. We got three full prime rib dinners out of that $98 piece of meat (4 people twice and 3 people once).

I've still got four bones that have a lot of meat on them. On Saturday I'll be covering them in bbq sauce and heating for a couple of hours at 250 deg or so.

I'll also be cooking up some Coonass black eyed peas and ham hocks to munch on during the weekend games. JSsecbshC would be proud.

Couldn't find any tasso, so I'll just use bacon. Picked up the ham hocks and andouille at lunchtime today.

•2 tablespoons olive oil
•2 ounce of tasso (see notes; bacon can be substituted) - diced small
•1 cup chopped onions
•2 tablespoons minced garlic
•2 bay leaves
•2 smoked ham hocks, about 6 ounces each
•1/2 pound andouille sausage (see notes) - cut in 1/8 inch rounds
•1 pound dried black-eyed peas (see notes)
•1sprig of parsley chopped
•1 small bunch of chives choppes
•2 quarts chicken stock
•Salt and pepper

In a 1-gallon stock pot, heat the olive oil.

When the oil is hot, render the tasso or bacon for 2 or 3 minutes.

Add the onions and continue sauteing for 2 minutes.

Stir in the garlic, bay leaves and ham hocks.

Season with salt and pepper.

Add the black-eyed peas and chicken stock.

Bring the liquid up to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer.

Cook the peas for about 45 minutes then add the andouille, and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the peas are tender and plump.

Remove the hamhocks from the pot and remove the meat.

Add the meat back to the peas and re-season if necessary.

Add the parsley and chives.

Sever with rice (white is traditional but we use brown and when we have guest we offer both), with one bottle of green and one bottle of red Tabasco served on the side.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

mvscal wrote:
trev wrote:I would not complain.
Yes you would. At least until you got the teeth slapped out of your head.
Apologize.

Indy, we went to the official Jack Daniels BBQ in Lynchburg a few years back and there were some hard core bbq'ers there. I don't think I ate a thing but there were a ton of other people there enjoying it.