Had a nice Polish dinner tonight

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Had a nice Polish dinner tonight

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I made the trip out to Rockville to visit metro DC's only Polish grocery and meat market. It was about 75 min each way, but it was worth it. I bought two different kinds of smoked polish sausage (I can't remember the names, I was hungry at the time). I originally wanted fresh polish sausage, but apparently that goes fast as she says it is usually gone after two days whenever they get it. So the nice Polish babe gave me a few samples and they were really good. So I felt confident I was getting some good shit.

I also bought some fresh sauerkraut and mushroom pierogies as well as a nice jar of kraut. I'm convinced kraut is the most under appreciated vegetable ever. God, kraut is good by itself.

I don't have much in my kitchen so I just cut up a pound of one kind of kielbasa and fried it in a pan. After cooking all the sausage, I cooked the pierogies in the left over grease on a lower heat. I then moved the sausage onto a few paper towels to soak up the grease. I put a paper plate over the sausage to try to keep it warm, but it didn't work so well.

The kielbasa was bomb. Not as good as when I threw that party at my folks' place in 08 (the PET I did), but hey, I don't have a grill so you have to be flexible. The pierogies were good, but I realized they were getter with Louisiana style hot sauce.

I wish I had some Safeway brand Coke around, that is my go-to drink when I make dinner, but I was out, so I just went with a few Budweisers.

Now, just sitting around watching that debacle at Wrigley and listening to some tunes. Rack my Saturday.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Had a nice Polish dinner tonight

Post by Dinsdale »

Sauerkraut isn't actually a veggie, Screw.

I believe the technical name for it is "cabbage."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Cabbage is a veggie, right?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Cabbage is a veggie, right?
In most places outside the U&L it's considered a veggie.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The pierogies were good, but I realized they were getter with Louisiana style hot sauce.
Hot sauce? On pierogies?

You stupid motherfucker. What's the matter, were you out of ketchup?

:meds:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Honestly Marty, I don't think I cooked them enough or properly, that's it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Most people make the mistake of over-cooking them.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

You boil them till they float, you only pan-fry the leftovers the next day. Douse with diced bacon and onion, not pepper sauce. I was always brought up to understand that if it didn't have just cheese and potato inside, it was heresy - or 'Polish'.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Traditional pierogies are actually filled with prunes. Always hated those when my gmother would make 'em. Love potato/cheese stuffed pierogies though (had some last night). Best is boiled, then quickly sauteed in butter and onions.