The Bunker Ruling

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

The Bunker Ruling

Post by Go Coogs' »

I've never been to a PGA tournament or any other tournament for that matter where officials let the gallery trample bunkers. Dustin should have looked at the lay of the land and called over Watney for a ruling, but I don't fault the guy for just assuming it was a trampled area that just turned into dirt. Not only that, but it didn't help Dustin in getting a macro view of the terrain with the crowd standing in the bunker he was allegedly hitting out of.

Both parties are at fault here. The PGA has to follow the rules, but they fucked up by letting the crowd chew up the area. It's bullshit and someone should be fired for letting this happen.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: The Bunker Ruling

Post by BSmack »

They made an absolute mockery of the game. And the fact that they actually considered this possibility before the tournament and said in effect, "fuck it" is just the icing on the cake. Letting the crowds tramp through bunkers for the whole week to the point where a PGA Tour player is unable to recognize it as such is simply insane. Those areas should have been designated as anything but hazards.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:They made an absolute mockery of the game. And the fact that they actually considered this possibility before the tournament and said in effect, "fuck it" is just the icing on the cake. Letting the crowds tramp through bunkers for the whole week to the point where a PGA Tour player is unable to recognize it as such is simply insane. Those areas should have been designated as anything but hazards.
lots of stories coming out this week about whistling straits, and the majority of them saying the golf course really could be a whole lot more than it is

I'd agree with you bri, but when the pga guy referenced the fact that the first rule in the rules sheet they gave the players pointed out that those types of bunkers existed out on the course and the players should be aware of them....Johnson has nobody to blame but himself

shame though

btw, I had Kaymer all the way
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, they did seem to do their best to hammer the WS Bunker Rule into everyone's heads.

I think that anything outside of the ropes should have been a waste-bunker.

I can totally see how it happened -- but it's on Johnson, not the PGA. He screwed up, not the Rules Committee.

But let's call a spade a spade -- you're not supposedd to miss the mower-path by 60 yards when playing for a Major on 18. That drive was bad by Weekend Warrior standards, and worthy of losing a tourney by pro standards.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:That drive was bad by Weekend Warrior standards

only a lot farther....that's dudes length is ridiculous

it's no doubt attributable to those giant paws
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34829
get out, get out while there's still time