Going to see John Mellencamp tonight...

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

KatMode
Elwood

Going to see John Mellencamp tonight...

Post by KatMode »

I just got into work, and was going through the news as I always do every morning when I get a call from my husband. He asks if we have any plans for the evening (no - as usual), so he asks me if I want to go see the John Mellencamp concert tonight. He tells me that a person he works with can't go to the show, so his coworker gave us the two tickets for free!

I'm not a huge Mellencamp fan (my husband like him more than I do), but I do like "Jack & Diane". Those handclaps are infectuous. And "sucking on a chili dog outside the Tasty Free-eeze" has got to be one of the best food lines in any song.

Just for RadioFan:

CRACK. BOOM. BAM. :lol:

So we'll be R-O-C-K in the OKC tonight!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

T &P

Right now, the only debate would be how much they'd have to pay me to go.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

I wouldn't be going if the tickets weren't free. But I'm sure it's going to be better than the last shit show my husband dragged me to. That group was called The Legendary Shack Shakers and the lead singer is known to reach into his crotch, rip out a handfull of pubs and toss them out into the crowd.

Family Entertainment right there.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KatMode wrote:the lead singer is known to reach into his crotch, rip out a handfull of pubs and toss them out into the crowd.
Freaking sissy.

Sin,
Iggy Pop

Consider yourself fortunate that I couldn't come up with a more graphic pic.

And I've decided it would take at least $100 to get me to go sit through John Cougar. I intially decided $200, but there's a very good chance that some has-been skank will be getting liquored up, and looking to relive some of that mid-80's promiscuity by sucking my cock, so I'll give a discount.

Bad, bad music.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i wouldn't pay to see John whatever, but i will say for you old 80's college alternative types before there was a name for it..... that his record Scarecrow is a better record song for song than any record REM put out after Fables. i've never bought a Mellancamp record. i had a roomie with Scarecrow: i thought it was a good record.

i speak not for anything after that. either way.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

KatMode, have fun. I ain't skerred to admit that I like some of his songs.

Actually, I LOVE Pink Houses. :oops: 8)
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Well, the concert wasn't too painful. No opening band, which was nice since it was on a Tuesday evening, and I had to get up for work the next morning at 5:30am. JM came out and sang about 7 songs, then that stupid Donaven guy came out. He sings that Mello Yello song, and it was retched. It was like listening to the Lemmiwinks song from South Park (or the actual The Hobbit and Return of the King animated movies with the vibrato singer). After Lemmiwinks singer was done, JM came back on and did the rest of his set.

LOL, he only played half of R-O-C-K in the USA... don't know what was up with that. They just went right into Wild Nights.

The show might have been a little better if not for the nasty-ass, BBQ belching chair-kicker behind me. Damn, every 5-10 minutes, I'd get a whiff of his disgusting BBQ dinner, along with a few good kicks to the back of my seat. So after awhile, each time he would kick my seat, I would sit back pretty hard to jam the seat back into his fat knees. He finally stood up after a few of those. :twisted:

At least I didn't have the usual concert experience - I always get the seat right behind the tallest guy in the area. I'm only 5'3, and I don't know how I manage it, but I almost ALWAYS end up sitting behind some tall fucker who keeps moving back and forth from left to right so even if you do find a clear spot, he moves in front of it. Damn tall people.

I'd give the show a C. It was free, and it only cost us a total of $13 bucks (parking, food, and drink).

Gotta admit, after going to several bars for shows lately, it was really nice to see all the security and no dumbass drunk fucks being loud and obnoxious. No fights either. It was a welcome change.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Glad it was OK, Kat. Unwar barbecue-belching chair kickers. Dude probably was pumped to be hearing all JC's "recent" hits on the KATT. :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Did I ever mention that my parents both worked with Donovan, before he hit it big?

They say he used to dress in the same "dandy" fashion at work as he did on stage. Weird dude, but has about 100 times the talent of John Cougar.