Braised Halibut Steaks with Shrimp and Mushrooms: PET Update

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Braised Halibut Steaks with Shrimp and Mushrooms: PET Update

Post by mvscal »

This is a classic recipe from the U&L of Spain (Galicia). Well they don't use halibut much, but hake isn't easy to find in Cali. Galician wine is easier to find. The recipe calls for an albariño for the table and for the fish. I found several of them at Bevmo. I'd never heard of it before I ran across it in Food and Wine but this is, by far, the best white for cooking I have ever used. It has an almost citrusy character when reduced. It is just outstanding.

1 lbs halibut steaks
1/4 lbs shrimp, shelled & deveined
1/2 lbs cremini or white button mushrooms sliced
1 shallot finely diced
2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
3/4 cup albariño wine
evoo
s&p

Heat 1 tbs or so olive oil in large saute pan. Add shrimp and saute over med heat till done. Transfer to bowl.

Add another tbs or so of oil, raise heat to med-high and saute mushrooms until browned and their liquid cooked off (~7 minutes). Push to the side of the pan and move pan so it is only halfway over burner, add another tbs oil and shallots and garlic. Reduce heat to med. and cook for a couple minutes. Mix the mushrooms and garlic, season lightly with s&p and transfer to dish with shrimp.

Season halibut with s&p, deglaze pan with wine then pour it off into shrimp & shrooms, add more evoo to the pan and saute for about 3-5 minutes depending on thickness of steak.

Carefully turn fish over (if some of it flakes off don't sweat it. It will add to the sauce. Add wine, cover pan and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until done. Remove fish to individual plates.

Turn heat to high and reduce pan juices slightly then return shrimp and mushrooms and heat through.

Season with s&p as needed and top fish with sauce.

Last edited by mvscal on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Braised Halibut Steaks with Shrimp and Mushrooms

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:Don't forget the baguette to mop up the sauce.
Works on all kinds of "sauce".

-Screw_Mopping
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

you know hake is one of the terms that is used for fillet of shark don't you?
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Uh, no. Not in the US anyway and definitely not in the Bay of Biscay. It's related to cod.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I will have to try this sometime if I can find the wine. That seems to be a necessary ingredient.

Love some halibut but it tends to be pretty delicate and doesn't always hold up well on the grill. It also calls out for a good sauce. Garlic butter does well on it but this sounds really good.

Ever tried it with fillets instead of steaks? For some reason our local market, when they have halibut, usually just has the fillets.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Haven't tried it with filets, but I'm sure it would be fine as would most any white fish like cod or sole. You would just need to adjust cooking times appropriately. If I used filets though, I would probably just poach them in the wine with some shallots instead of braising them.

Yeah, I would definitely make an effort to get the wine. You can get it at Bevmo. If you don't have one near you, you can order it online and they'll ship it to you. They had it on one of their 'buy one bottle get the second for a nickel' sales. Go with the Martin Codax.

Seriously, I highly recommend this recipe. I don't know if it was the wine or what but it's pretty straight forward and was one of the best things I've made. It was $30 a plate in a nice restaurant good.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:it tends to be pretty delicate and doesn't always hold up well on the grill.
Have you ever used one of these?

The OL just picked one up for me last week but I haven't used it yet.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I use one of these. Works great.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Decided last night that I had to try this out.

They don't carry the albariño at our local market so I used a not-too-dry sauv blanc. I used creminis, and spooned some of the shrimp, shrooms and sauce over a side of fresh linguine. Fixed up a caesar salad on the side and had some crusty sourdough to go with it. Made about 1 1/3 recipe for three people. It was plenty of food and the whole thing was excellent.

Will have to try it again when I can find the wine. Maybe I'll wait until the halibut is under $17.00/lb too.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Maybe I'll wait until the halibut is under $17.00/lb too.
Don't hold your breath. It's still cheaper than a restaurant dinner and just as good if not better.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Braised Halibut Steaks with Shrimp and Mushrooms: PET Up

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

What is the benefit of using shallots over onions? Just more flavor?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Makes you seem more "culinary", for one thing.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:What is the benefit of using shallots over onions? Just more flavor?
Shallots are milder, a bit more subtle and generally less over-powering. I use shallots a lot.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I see. There aren't many instances in which I find onions overpowering...probably cuz I love onions.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I love onions as well. They can be a bit much with milder flavors like halibut. Just back out of the thread and go get yourself a gyro or a corn dog.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I should go eat a corn dog because I like onions?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

No, you should go eat a corn dog because it would satisfy your unsophisticated palate. And because it's shaped like a dick.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:What is the benefit of using shallots over onions? Just more flavor?

Shallots are onions, dumbass(es).

Matter of fact, here in the Onion Capital, we don't even use that word, since it make the person saying it soundlike a pretentious douche.

They're "green onions," and the early harvest (we get multiple harvests on the Wetside) are often refered to as spring onions... which are the best kind.

Different species (and even genuses) of onions, many of which make for good geen onions.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:No, you should go eat a corn dog because it would satisfy your unsophisticated palate.
Oh, ok, Todd English. That's quite a reach, even for you. Why don't you run along, nobody asked you anything. If I need female hygiene tips, you'll be the first to know.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:Shallots are onions, dumbass(es).
I meant the things we call shallots (and yes, we call them that here) vs what we would associate as "common onions." Try Googling for some common sense and you'll figure it out.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:No, you should go eat a corn dog because it would satisfy your unsophisticated palate.
Oh, ok, Todd English. That's quite a reach, even for you. Why don't you run along, nobody asked you anything.
It seems to me you inquired as to the difference between onions and shallots. Most people who've spent a bit of time in the kitchen already knew.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I've cooked with a lot of things, but for one reason or another, not shallots. If that makes me "unsophisticated", so be it. I'll take that over pretentious dickwad with a bikini line.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I've cooked with a lot of things, but for one reason or another, not shallots. If that makes me "unsophisticated", so be it. I'll take that over pretentious dickwad with a bikini line.
There's any number of things that probably make you unsophisticated. A bikini line? Please.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:There's any number of things that probably make you unsophisticated.
I don't have your pinky extension, for one.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:
Matter of fact, here in the Onion Capital, we don't even use that word, since it make the person saying it soundlike a pretentious douche.

They're "green onions," and the early harvest (we get multiple harvests on the Wetside) are often refered to as spring onions... which are the best kind.
Uh, no.

Shallots:

Green onions:

Questions?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LastWordWhore wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:There's any number of things that probably make you unsophisticated.
I don't have your pinky extension, for one.
Enough.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Different flavor, I would say. They taste sort of like a faintly sweet, very mild red onion with maybe a hint of garlic.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Uh, no.

Shallots:

Green onions:

Questions?
Shallots - scallions, WTF. It almost looks like the same word!!