Can you say FUCK YES! ABOUT TIME!

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Can you say FUCK YES! ABOUT TIME!

Post by indyfrisco »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5125307
CBS, Turner win TV rights to tourneyEmail Print Comments 179Share90 retweet 198Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA is on the verge of expanding the men's basketball tournament from 65 to 68 teams beginning next year and has a new, $10.8 billion TV deal that will allow it to show every game live.

The NCAA said Thursday that the Division I Men's Basketball Committee unanimously passed the proposal and it will now be reviewed by the Board of Directors on April 29.

The NCAA also said it reached a new, 14-year agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting System Inc. that is worth more than $10.8 billion. The deal, which runs from 2011 through 2024, will show every game live across four national networks for the first time.
I could give a shit about going to 68 teams. What I am thrilled about is all the games will be shown live. I have 3 DVRs in the house. I can record and watch every damn game I please. I'm curious though, Turner Broadcasting System has TBS and TNT. Do they have any other channels currently? Because TBS, TNT and CBS account for only 3 of the 4 games that go on simultaneously in the first round.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Can you say FUCK YES! ABOUT TIME!

Post by King Crimson »

"How critical is the deal to the NCAA? More than 95 percent of the governing body's total revenue comes from the broadcast rights to the men's basketball tournament."

95% of the NCAA's revenue comes from the hoops tournament.....so this makes the lack of a football playoff even more baffling.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5125307
CBS, Turner win TV rights to tourneyEmail Print Comments 179Share90 retweet 198Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA is on the verge of expanding the men's basketball tournament from 65 to 68 teams beginning next year and has a new, $10.8 billion TV deal that will allow it to show every game live.

The NCAA said Thursday that the Division I Men's Basketball Committee unanimously passed the proposal and it will now be reviewed by the Board of Directors on April 29.

The NCAA also said it reached a new, 14-year agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting System Inc. that is worth more than $10.8 billion. The deal, which runs from 2011 through 2024, will show every game live across four national networks for the first time.
I could give a shit about going to 68 teams. What I am thrilled about is all the games will be shown live. I have 3 DVRs in the house. I can record and watch every damn game I please. I'm curious though, Turner Broadcasting System has TBS and TNT. Do they have any other channels currently? Because TBS, TNT and CBS account for only 3 of the 4 games that go on simultaneously in the first round.
Turner Classic Movies.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

When I posted the article originally, above was all that was in the article. Now, they have added to the article. Seems there is a channel I have never heard of called truTV which will be the 4th to carry the games.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

They also own the Cartoon Network. That would be perfect for the first round if/when they go to 96 teams.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:When I posted the article originally, above was all that was in the article. Now, they have added to the article. Seems there is a channel I have never heard of called truTV which will be the 4th to carry the games.
I read on a different board that truTV is what Court TV used to be. don't know if that's the case.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Unbelievable. Not only did they NOT fuck it up beyond belief like most expected, they actually improved it. I'm in total shock.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

King Crimson wrote:"How critical is the deal to the NCAA? More than 95 percent of the governing body's total revenue comes from the broadcast rights to the men's basketball tournament."

95% of the NCAA's revenue comes from the hoops tournament.....so this makes the lack of a football playoff even more baffling.
No it doesn't. They are different sports. The NCAA gets so much money from the BCS revenue that there's no need for a playoff. I can assure you the NCAA has done the math and figured they are making more with the current system. The ONLY thing the NCAA cares about is money, so why would anyone think that they would make more money with a playoff system? If they could, there would be one.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:No it doesn't. They are different sports. The NCAA gets so much money from the BCS revenue that there's no need for a playoff.
Do you mean BCS revenue or bowl game revenue? Because there's no reason you can't incorporate the BCS into a playoff.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I have 3rd hand info, but I trust my 2nd hand info came from a credible person. I was told about a year ago that the NCAA's advisors had run the math on this and are confident that the NCAA and the participating schools would generate far more revenue with the current bowl/BCS system than switching to a playoff.

The reason? They would lose the BCS and that revenue and they would also lose millions of dollars in TV revenue from the lesser bowls because there would be less interest in them. We may think that there's no reason to not incorporate a playoff within the BCS, but the BCS committee is probably opposed to doing that.

I'm telling you, if the NCAA felt they would make more with a playoff we would have one. No doubt about that.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Good news that they finally got all the first round games on this year. And going to 68 doesn't fuck things up nearly as much as going to 96 would have. Some tweaking of the tourney was more or less mandatory, given the need to get an auto bid to the Great West Conference.

Let's hope they do the right thing and make the play-in game between 16 and 17 seeds, rather than for the final at-large bid in each regional.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:I was told about a year ago that the NCAA's advisors had run the math on this and are confident that the NCAA and the participating schools would generate far more revenue with the current bowl/BCS system than switching to a playoff.

The reason? They would lose the BCS and that revenue and they would also lose millions of dollars in TV revenue from the lesser bowls because there would be less interest in them.
And how did they determine there would be less interest in them? As we stand right now, the "lesser" bowl games serve merely as consolations. That wouldn't change at all under a playoff system. They'd still be meaningless consolation games. Is there a mathematical formula that determines fan interest/revenue under different scenarios? Sounds like they're operating more on belief than any hard number crunching.