Ahhh..Baloney!

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Re: Ahhh..Baloney!

Post by mvscal »

Never had it. I'm mildly curious, but it's insanely expensive and I'm not quite willing to pay the freight to chow down on a giant snail. If you were planning on diving for your own, I suppose it might be worth it.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I've had abalone a few times but not for many years. It's very good pounded, breaded and fried up with some garlic in EVOO. If you've ever had conch, it's somewhat similar. Don't even know where you can buy it these days.

About 30 or so years ago I was renting a room in a house that was owned by a guy who was a Navy ASW chopper pilot. Helped him pay the mortgage and he ehad somebody to watch the place while he was gone for several weeks at a time.

He and his buddies were all big hunter outdoorsman types, and occasionally would get together for an "outdoorsman bbq" where everybody brought something they had killed. I got to partake in one that he had at the house while I was there, and damn did I get to try some good shit. Lots of venison, antelope and stuff. But the best thing was that my housemate and a couple of friends had gotten to go diving, apparently off San Clemente Island in waters that are off limits except to the Navy. They brought back a couple of lobsters and about 20 abs. I sat there in the kitchen and chowed down on fried ab as it was coming out of the pan. Good stuff.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Don't even know where you can buy it these days.
You can order farmed abalone online. It's only about $75 a pound plus shipping.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

How does Fayettenam have anything to do with seafood?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Todd,

A hooker is cheaper and smells the same. :mrgreen:

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:Back when I lived in Socal, a coworker of my brother claimed that abalone was the best seafood meat. Even better than lobster. I've never gotten around to trying it, but I'm determined this time around.

I read up on Wikipedia on abalone.
California

Prohibitions on commercial and recreational harvest of this species have been in place since 1996.Sport harvesting of red abalone is permitted with a California fishing license and an abalone stamp card. New in 2008, the abalone card also comes with a set of 24 tags. Legal-size abalone must be tagged immediately. Abalone may only be taken using breath-hold techniques or shorepicking; scuba diving for abalone is strictly prohibited. Taking of abalone is not permitted south of the mouth of the San Francisco Bay. There is a size minimum of seven inches (178 mm) measured across the shell and a quantity limit of three per day and 24 per year. A person may be in possession of only three abalone at any given time.

Abalone may only be taken from April to November, not including July. Transportation of abalone may only legally occur while the abalone is still attached in the shell. Sale of sport-obtained abalone is illegal, including the shell. Only red abalone may be taken; black, white, pink, and flat abalone are protected by law.

An abalone diver is normally equipped with a thick wetsuit, including a hood, booties, and gloves, and usually also a mask, snorkel, weight belt, abalone iron, and abalone gauge. Alternatively, the rock picker can feel underneath rocks at low tides for abalone. Abalone are mostly taken in depths from a few inches up to 10 m (33 ft); less common are freedivers who can work deeper than 10 m (33 ft). Abalone are normally found on rocks near food sources (kelp). An abalone iron is used to pry the abalone from the rock before it can fully clamp down. Divers commonly dive out of boats, kayaks, tube floats or directly off the shore.

There has been a trade in diving to catch abalones off parts of the United States coast from before 1939. In World War II, many of these abalone divers were recruited into the United States armed forces and trained as frogmen.

The largest abalone recorded in California is 12.83 inches (326 mm), caught by John Pepper somewhere off the coast of Humboldt county

I've seen where farmed abalone may be purchased, and the price is pretty much what mvscal said. I read somewhere of a bushel of a dozen abs going for $500. No mention as to whether or not it's legal for a restaurant to have it on their menu. I've dedicated about an hour of searching the web to no avail to find the answer.

Me diving for abalone is right out. And even if I was to get one while walking the beach, I'd be clueless how to shuck and prepare one for a meal.

I plan on spending a couple of nights around the Fort Bragg area, so I think my best bet is to ask some of the local restaurants.

This article doesn't mention how dangerous it is.

Most of the legal abs left are in areas with 1) frigid water year round 2) heavy swell 3) jagged rocks 4) kelp beds. Any one of those factors could kill you. Add all four together and you'd better be a pretty expert free diver or you'll likely be dead before ever bringing one back.

Went snorkeling for conch in the Caribbean about 20 years ago. That was a little more tame. Calm, crystal clear water, close to 80 deg. The snails were scattered over a flat, sandy bottom about 15 to 20 feet down. The biggest challenge was getting them out of the shells.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:Todd,

A hooker is cheaper and smells the same. :mrgreen:

I think you just reminded Tardowen of his dear, sweet mama.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:No mention as to whether or not it's legal for a restaurant to have it on their menu.
Yes it is assuming they're selling farmed abalone.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Apparently they're growing them down here in Carlsbad. I knew they were growing oysters and mussels, but I didn't know about the abalone.

You can see their racks in the lagoon next to the power plant when you drive by on PCH.

http://www.carlsbadaquafarm.com

BTW...this is the Agua Hedionda (Stinking Water) lagoon, home also to our beloved Gaydar James.