2010 NCAA hockey tournament

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

2010 NCAA hockey tournament

Post by Shoalzie »

The selection show is in 5 minutes on ESPN2. Here's USCHO's last bracketology...

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,18483/Fina ... 02010.html

Michigan State gets bounced out of the field with Michigan getting in and it appears Ferris might be out now also with RIT getting in out of the Atlantic.

Based on their projections, I'd love to see a rematch with Wisconsin in the regional finals after the tough loss to the Badgers at Camp Randall in February. It's bittersweet to see (future Red Wing) Brendan Smith and Team USA captain from the WJC Derek Stepan beat the Wolverines back then. With Hunwick in net in place of Hogan and playing out of his mind, Michigan might be able to make a run at getting to Ford Field.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: 2010 NCAA hockey tournament

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Miami....what WMU could have been.

Bemidji is going to crush U-M.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The field of 16...
Midwest Regional: (1) Miami vs. (4) Alabama-Huntsville, (2) Bemidji State vs. (3) Michigan
East Regional: (1) Denver vs. (4) RIT, (2) Cornell vs. (3) New Hampshire
West Regional: (1) Wisconsin vs. (4) Vermont, (2) St. Cloud State vs. (3) Northern Michigan
Northeast Regional: (1) Boston College vs. (4) Alaska, (2) North Dakota vs. (3) Yale

Screw_Michigan wrote:Bemidji is going to crush U-M.
Just like State was supposed to beat Michigan, like Miami was supposed to beat Michigan and Northern was supposed to beat Michigan...they've been proving everyone wrong throughout the CCHA championship. It's a rare spot where the Wolverines are going in as an underdog but it's worked for them so far. I embrace it...they weren't supposed to be in the tourney and at this point, they've got nothing to lose. Last year, they go in as a heavy favorite and then Air Force bites them in the ass. This year, they'll likely have to go through two top 10 teams to get home for the Frozen Four.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Go RIT!! I almost went there out of high school. They were D-II back in that day.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Go UAH! Fuck em up chargers

Anyone doing the bracket challenge...

http://www.ncaa.com/games/
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mr T wrote:Go UAH! Fuck em up chargers

Anyone doing the bracket challenge...

http://www.ncaa.com/games/

In...I started a group, The One Board (password: trolls)
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

I joined the group and tried to make my picks but I was one minute late and it denied my submission... :x
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:Go RIT!! I almost went there out of high school. They were D-II back in that day.

RIT 2, Denver 1 :shock:
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Badgers moved on against Vermount, but St. Cloud State makes me nervous. Their goalie single-handedly beat Wisconsin in the WCHA semis. Badgers outshot them 20-5 in the third period and got nothing.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And Wisconsin heads on to their 11th Frozen Four. Only one WCHA team makes it, but it's the BEST of the lot.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

So what happened to those three WCHA teams that were going to make the Frozen Four, Gobbles McDickgag?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I imagine they got jobbed by a bunch of east coast refs. Not to worry, dickbreath, Wisconsin is the only team we need to snag another title for the WCHA.

BTW, not sure if you've had the pleasure of seeing them play, but this Wisconsin team is very good. Second in the nation in scoring and right near the top in least shots allowed. Two Hobey Baker finalists (including the eventual winner) on the same team. Got to have you crying into your pillow.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:I imagine they got jobbed by a bunch of east coast refs.
:lol: :lol:

Suck on that, faggot.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Did you see who we drew for the semis? The mighty RIT Cunt Hairs, or whatever they're called. How the fuck did they beat Denver? Oh yeah, they probably got jobbed by those fucking east coast refs.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:Did you see who we drew for the semis? The mighty RIT Cunt Hairs, or whatever they're called. How the fuck did they beat Denver? Oh yeah, they probably got jobbed by those fucking east coast refs.
That would be the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers. They've been in D1 for 5 years. Before that they pwned DIII and DII. And now they get to take on a Big Ten team? Oh this by far a bigger Cinderella story than Butler.

Oh, did I mention that they don't give out athletic scholarships at RIT? Every one of those kids is out there on his own dime. Yep, a WAY bigger Cinderella than Butler.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Didn't know about the lack of schollys, BSuck. I totally agree. RIT is a much bigger story than Butler.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Did you see who we drew for the semis? The mighty RIT Cunt Hairs, or whatever they're called. How the fuck did they beat Denver? Oh yeah, they probably got jobbed by those fucking east coast refs.
That would be the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers. They've been in D1 for 5 years. Before that they pwned DIII and DII. And now they get to take on a Big Ten team? Oh this by far a bigger Cinderella story than Butler.

Oh, did I mention that they don't give out athletic scholarships at RIT? Every one of those kids is out there on his own dime. Yep, a WAY bigger Cinderella than Butler.
Big Ten? There is no Big Ten hockey conference. Go back to watching all of the American Idol episodes you have DVRed, "sports fan".

RIT Undergraduate Cost of Attendance for First-Year Students 2009-2010

Tuition $38,100
Fees $1,065
Room and Board $11,145
Miscellaneous Expenses $1,850

All students are also required to purchase a laptop for their course work. The approximate cost will range from $1800 to $2,000.
Their own dime? Or maybe a bunch of rich kids on daddy's dime.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

They beat Denver because they're a damn good team. I am sure Wisconsin isn't overlooking them because if they do, they'll get rolled.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MuchoBulls wrote:
They beat Denver because they're a damn good team. I am sure Wisconsin isn't overlooking them because if they do, they'll get rolled.
Yes, I know. On any given day. But a couple of things to keep in mind. Denver is almost a one-line team. Shut down the top line and you've got a shot at beating them in a one-game series. And look at RIT's schedule. It's just about as weak as it gets.

Hopefully the seniors get this team ready to play their best for two more games. If so, Bucky gets #7.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Bemidji is going to crush U-M.

Just wanted to revisit that again... :hfal:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Yeah, yeah. I know.

You know what really pisses me off? RIT, and all the other 4 seeds, show that if you can get into the tournament, you have a great chance of doing some serious damage. WMU can't even get to the Joe. Supposedly they've had three candidates come in for interviews, the Indy USHL coach, Brent Blekke, and an assistant from CC.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What took them so long to get rid of Culhane? Western has a solid history in hockey...my dad went there in the late 70s during the Saunders years...they'll get it turned around with the right coach.

Props to RIT on making the Frozen Four...you're right, all you have to do is get in then win two games and you're in the Frozen Four. I don't know how much of a reward it is to have to face Wisconsin but in a one game situation, you can't really say anything is a sure thing.

Michigan-Miami at 8 on ESPNU tonight!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kathy Beauregard is not committed to hockey, plain and simple. She doesn't believe there is the revenue potential from hockey as there is in football and basketball. If that's the case, that's sad because the community has proven they will pack Lawson to watch a competitive product. Attendance at hockey games has bottomed out in the last three seasons after flatlining for three seasons prior to that. What Culhane had going for him is that he's an excellent salesman, his kids did well in class and in the community, and that's about it. WMU is about to go through the same shit with Steve Hawkins. KB likes to keep her non-football coaches around for at least 10 years, except if you're Ron Stewart.

When your dad was at WMU and into the mid 90s, they used to kick the shit out of teams. I find it hard to fathom WMU used to embarrass U-M. But it's the truth.

What's really sad is that in the 11.5 seasons Culhane was coach, Miami, ND, NMU, LSSU (marginally), UNO, and fucking Ferris have become better programs that WMU. I am skeptical about the new arena downtown and having the K-Wings, WMU hockey and both WMU men's and women's basketball all play there, but I am willing to hear it out. While I feel that Lawson is more than serviceable, kids like shiny shit and a new arena would be just that.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Yale goalie napping a bit on that second goal.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Props to Miami for finally getting it done, but Michigan got totally jobbed on a quick whistle that negated the winning goal early in the first OT. Great fucking game.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Michigan got totally jobbed
I'll RACK that any day.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Michigan got jobbed. The goalie had the puck under his left pad and when he turned the Michigan player took one swippe to jar the puck loose, then put the puck in the net on the second chance.

Since the ref was calling a penalty on Miami, the proper call was made since Miami's goalie was in possession of the puck after his arm was up to call the penalty.

The dudes announcing the game were clueless there.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I don't know what game you were watching but the overhead view clearly showed that the puck slid out from underneath the goalie, it was not poked out, it was never controlled, and if not for a very quick whistle the game was over.

The announcers were correct in noting this, and also correct in also pointing out that the referee is supposed to blow the whistle if they lose sight of the puck. Just not so quickly. :wink:

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Saw the same replays you did. Puck was under the goalies left pad. When he turned his body to the right the Michigan player poked at the pad and the puck came out.

Since there was a delayed penalty being called on Miami, the goalie was in possession of the puck and the proper call was made.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Technically, when the ref loses sight of the puck, he is to blow the play dead immediately. I didn't see the play, but that is what is "supposed" to happen.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The ref was in a bad position, but the correct call was made. Delayed penalty on Miami and the puck was under the goalie's pad.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

In that case the whistle should have blown dead before Miami's second goal. If the ref calls it the same both times then either both goals would have been counted or disallowed. Miami benifitted both times. It was a good run through the CCHA tourney and I'm thinking that the winner of last night's game wins it all.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

WolverineSteve wrote:It was a good run through the CCHA tourney and I'm thinking that the winner of last night's game wins it all.
I laughed.

WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Goober McTuber wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:It was a good run through the CCHA tourney and I'm thinking that the winner of last night's game wins it all.
I laughed.
Why? Miami is the top team in the nation and Michigan was the hottest having beat Miami 9 days earlier. Miami will win it all, UM would have had they won.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

WolverineSteve wrote:In that case the whistle should have blown dead before Miami's second goal.
There wasn't a delayed penalty that was supposed to be called on that play was there?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
I laughed.
Why? Miami is the top team in the nation and Michigan was the hottest having beat Miami 9 days earlier. Miami will win it all, UM would have had they won.
Wisconsin might have something to say about that. Tremendous amount of talent, good number of seniors. If they play anywhere near their potential, it’s title #7.

WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

MuchoBulls wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:In that case the whistle should have blown dead before Miami's second goal.
There wasn't a delayed penalty that was supposed to be called on that play was there?
No but if you think the Miami goalie had "possession" then the UM goalie had possession much longer and the whistle should have blown.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The puck was under the goalie's pad. That isn't possession?

The second Miami goal was a rebound. Big difference.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

I didn't see it as the puck was under the goalies pad. I saw the ref skate backwards to the corner as the UM player came in for the wrap around attempt and never moved back toward the net for a better view. Instead he lost sight from the corner boards and blew the play dead when it the puck was clearly (via live action and replay) never frozen. It was a blown call, it happens. Miami's goal was jammed in from under the UM goalies pad and was tied up longer than the disallowed goal, it's just inconsistant is all. It's the right call as ref's are supposed to blow plays dead when they lose sight of the puck, but there's no way the ref saw the puck under the UM goalies pads on Miami's goal.

As to delayed penalties....

From the rulebook.....
"The appropriate on-ice official shall use a 'delayed whistle' when a foul is committed against the team in possession of the puck, thereby postponing the stoppage of play until the offending team shall have POSSESSION AND CONTROL of the puck...Possession is NOT A REBOUND OFF THE GOALKEEPER, an opposing player, the goal or the boards or any... incidental contact with the body or equipment of the opposing player...Touching the puck (e.g. poke check or deflection) IS NOT considered control of the puck"
HR- 49/50 Calling of Penalties part c. of the 2009-2010 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rule Book
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Exactly!! The puck was under his pad, hence possession.