Omelettes

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Omelettes

Post by Mikey »

Every once in a while I get a serious jones for an omelette. Usually happens on a Sunday morning after sleeping in. Never enough time for it on weekdays. Almost never planned, I have to go with what's on hand, so it's a good chance to get creative. This is what I made this morning, which was enough to feed three of us:

6 eggs
3/4 of a small ripe Haas avocado cut into thin slices
3/4 of a medium tomato, diced
about 6 thin slices of proscuitto
A bunch of thinly sliced Gruyere cheese

Take the proscuitto (which I get at Costco and has plastic sheets between the slices) and heat in the microwave about 20 seconds until it's easy to separate. Separate the pieces, put them between two pieces of paper towel and heat for another 30 seconds or so in the microwave. Remove it from the microwave, dice it up with a chef's knife and put aside.

Beat the eggs until slightly foamy. I have an electric hand mixer for this.

Heat up a large non-stick skillet until about 1tbs of butter starts sizzling.

Fold the chopped up prosciutto into the eggs and pour into the pan. Move the prosciutto around so that it's fairly evenly distributed. Turn the heat down to low.

When the eggs are cooked almost all the way through add the cheese, enough for a layer that covers half the circle. Add the avocado slices and the tomatoes on top of the cheese, leaving as much of the juice out as possible.

Heat it for a few more minutes like this and then fold the omlette over. Add about a tbs of water to the pan and cover. This helps fluff up the eggs and also to speed up the heat getting to the filling. Steam until all the water is gone.

Serve with some navel orange slices and buttered toast.

I never thought of combining avocados with prosciutto, but this was an awesome tasting concoction.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Omelettes

Post by smackaholic »

the avocados and prosciutto i get as perosciutto with fruit is common, but, avocados with egg sounds kinda weird. but, i'll bet it was good.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: avocados with egg sounds kinda weird.
In these parts...not weird at all.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Avocados are a must in omlettes, if you got 'em.

I will be trying the water-vapor cooking tip -- sounds brilliant... like something I should already know, but didn't.

Of course, a Dinsdale omlette is supposed to be smothered in some sort of country-style gravy (have I ever mentioned that my peers call me Gravy Master*?)

* -- Enjoy
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My favorite omelette is to dice and fry up some thick sliced applewood smoked bacon, remove bacon leaving the fat, throw in some diced onion and cook then throw in sliced baby bella mushrooms and some spinach. Cook it down and remove and mix with the bacon.

Then toss a bit of butter in the pan, put in your egg mixture (i like to add some heavy cream to the eggs before i whisk them), then use the filling from above with some extra sharp shredded cheddar.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
I will be trying the water-vapor cooking tip -- sounds brilliant... like something I should already know, but didn't.
I never heard of it anywhere before. I used to get frustrated because it always took so long for the filling to heat up to where it's really hot. I thought that adding a little steam in there would speed things up. It did, but for some reason it seems to fluff the eggs up at the same time.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I like smoked salmon, cheddah and spinach topped with a dollop of sour cream and chives or green onions.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I like pretty much everything you guys have listed so far.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:I like smoked salmon, cheddah and spinach topped with a dollop of sour cream and chives or green onions.

Fresh spinach, I assume?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Sure. I just wilt it real quick with a splash of olive oil and some salt.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:
Mikey wrote: I have to go with what's on hand
Sounds like you've got an imported specialty foods shop in your kitchen.

I guess it does, sorta. Only I don't always have the same stuff on hand. It's all available at Costco, though.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:I like pretty much everything you guys have listed so far.
that's gotta be a first.

so far, indy's sounds the best other than using butter in a pan that already has some bacon fat in it as a non stick agent. bacon fat is the perfect pan lube, especially for eggs.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackie,

If all i cared about was the non-stick quality of the lube, I'd use Pam simply for health reasons. With an omelette, the bacon fat has mostly been absorbed by the veggies by the point I put the eggs in, but the butter gives it that nice butter flavor. The addition of butter is strictly for flavor. It's lube action is just gravy.

Oh, and I like to top my omelette with some good salsa or better yet pico de gallo if you have it handy.

My pico recipe:

Use whatever amounts of the veggies that floats your boat.

red onion
mango
fresh lime juice
tomato
cilantro
jalapeno
cumin
salt
pepper

I just put some of each in the mini procesor and pulse a few times.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFellatio wrote:The addition of butter is strictly for flavor. It's lube action is just gravy.
We're still talking about eggs, right?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
IndyFellatio wrote:The addition of butter is strictly for flavor. It's lube action is just gravy.
We're still talking about eggs, right?
I think Indy and Smackie have moved on to sausages.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote: Turn the heat down to low.
Sorry, I just dialed in on ingredients only. From a purely technical standpoint you are wrong as two left shoes here. Omlettes are cooked at high heat and in ~30 seconds. You need to have have every thing prepped and right at arms length because once the butter hits the pan, the clock is ticking.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:You need to have have every thing prepped and right at arms length because once the butter hits the pan, the clock is ticking.
'swatiwassayin' I precook all the veggies and meats before I make the omellete. Cook up the filling, set aside as it will remain hot, butter in pan, then eggs, fill, flip and serve.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote: Turn the heat down to low.
Sorry, I just dialed in on ingredients only. From a purely technical standpoint you are wrong as two left shoes here. Omlettes are cooked at high heat and in ~30 seconds. You need to have have every thing prepped and right at arms length because once the butter hits the pan, the clock is ticking.
You may or may not have noticed that I was fixing a single large omelette for three people. Six eggs and a big pile of filling. If I was making a two or three egg omelette I'd be using medium to medium high heat. I wanted the tomatoes and avos hot but not cooked, and the cheese melted. To do this without burning the eggs you have to turn it down a little. Could have made three omelettes with two eggs each, but I always have to eat last and I didn't want to wait.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

^^^^^ Holy Morning Farts Batman!!!! ^^^^^
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:You may or may not have noticed that I was fixing asingle large omelette frittata for three people. Six eggs and a big pile of filling.
Nothing wrong with it. It just isn't an omlette at that point with that method.
If I was making a two or three egg omelette I'd be using medium to medium high heat.
High heat...always.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:You may or may not have noticed that I was fixing asingle large omelette frittata for three people. Six eggs and a big pile of filling.
Nothing wrong with it. It just isn't an omlette at that point with that method.
If I was making a two or three egg omelette I'd be using medium to medium high heat.
High heat...always.

According to your definition. You want to argue semantics, go somewhere else.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

freedom egg pie?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

If I crave an omelette, I'll go to Denny's. I wouln't even try to make an omelette, I'd fuck it up so bad.

Now if it's over easy saturated with bacon grease you want... that I can handle.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:According to your definition.
It isn't semantics, idiot. Omlettes are cooked in an extremely hot pan over high heat. Period. EOFS. If you're doing it any other way, you either don't know what the fuck you're doing or you aren't making an omlette.

It's not a matter of semantics. It's a matter of technique.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bullshit.

Complete and utter bullshit.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

So if I tinkered with Mickey's recipe and used Lancashire instead of Gruyere and slipped in under a hot grill for a minute rather than steam - is it still technically an omelette?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sorry. That would make it bangers and mash.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

It's more like cheese on toast.. but with egg instead of bread.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

According to Julia Child, mvscal is right about the temperature, but wrong about the egg count:

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/author ... ecipe.html

According to wikipedia:
On March 19, 1994, the largest omelette (128.5 m²; 1,383 ft²) in the world at the time was made with 160,000 eggs in Yokohama, Japan,[6] but it was subsequently overtaken by an omelette made by the Lung Association in Brockville Memorial Centre, Ontario, Canada on May 11, 2002 — it weighed 2.95 tons.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Bullshit.

Sorry, dude. You're just wrong. The difference between pancakes and crepes is not semantic. They are made out of virtually identical ingredients and cooked in a virtually identical manner, but the end product is different. The analogy applies here as well. Unless, of course, you know more about it than Julia Child did. I mean she was just a Cordon Bleu chef who trained with many of the most brilliant chefs of her era. And you are?

But, as they say, don't knock it till you try it. If you want to make a six egg concotion cooked over low heat, crack open Hazan's book and make a proper frittata. She has a chapter on on it. If you want to make a proper omelette, crank up the heat and let it rip.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:According to wikipedia:
On March 19, 1994, the largest omelette (128.5 m²; 1,383 ft²) in the world at the time was made with 160,000 eggs in Yokohama, Japan,[6] but it was subsequently overtaken by an omelette made by the Lung Association in Brockville Memorial Centre, Ontario, Canada on May 11, 2002 — it weighed 2.95 tons.
Of course that's a stunt not an omelette.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:Bullshit.

Sorry, dude. You're just wrong. The difference between pancakes and crepes is not semantic. They are made out of virtually identical ingredients and cooked in a virtually identical manner, but the end product is different. The analogy applies here as well. Unless, of course, you know more about it than Julia Child did. I mean she was just a Cordon Bleu chef who trained with many of the most brilliant chefs of her era. And you are?

But, as they say, don't knock it till you try it. If you want to make a six egg concotion cooked over low heat, crack open Hazan's book and make a proper frittata. She has a chapter on on it. If you want to make a proper omelette, crank up the heat and let it rip.
Main Entry: frit·ta·ta Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: fr.täd.
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: Italian, from fritto, past participle of friggere to fry (from Latin frigere) + -ata -ade -- more at FRY
: an unfolded omelet often containing chopped vegetables or meats
First, what I made was not "unfolded".

Second a frittata is an omelet, omelette or whatever.

Crepes and pancakes have nothing to do with omelettes

Like I said before, if you want to argue semantics, go fuck yourself.
Main Entry: om·e·let Pronunciation Guide
Variant(s): also om·e·lette \äm()lt, usu -d.+V\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: French omelette, from Middle French, alteration of amelette, alteration of alumette, alteration (influenced by -ette) of alumelle, literally, blade (of a sword or knife), from Old French alemelle, alemele, alteration of lemelle, lemele, from Latin lamella small metal plate, diminutive of lamina thin plate
: eggs beaten to a froth, cooked without stirring until set, and served in a half-round form by folding one half over the other
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

The difference between an omlette and a frittata is not the fact that the latter isn't folded. They are cooked using two different techniques and going to a dictionary is particularly pathetic.

They are prepared using two entirely different techniques. Sorry you have to be such a pissy little bitch who can't accept a simple correction.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Here's what I do - I call it an omelette. I whisk the egg, and add a tiny bit of water. I butter the skillet and pour the mix in. I let the bottom cook just a bit, then throw in all of the fixings and add the cheese.

Then, I move the whole skillet into the oven under the low broiler. The uncooked egg on the top is cooked perfectly, and it rises quite a bit because of the water I added earlier...and the cheese melts on top.

When I bring the skillet out, the egg is thoroughly cooked, top and bottom, and I can either fold it over or just slice it up.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Get the fuck out of here with your bi-partisan bullshit. Just tell someone their take fucking sucks and get on your fucking way.

The cooking forum is so complicated now.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

No kidding. When I post a recipe, it's bangers and mash - when PSU does it, it's an omelette.

cooking forum = den of inequity
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote: Holy Morning Farts Batman!!!!
Probably depends on how one makes their chili con carne. I've never had much of a problem controling the windage with my homemade chili, of which I use canned pink beans that have been thoroughly rinsed. I never use a lot of beans anyhow.I primarily use a lot of whole tomatoes in my chili.

It's just a good combination. An omlette with some very tomatoey chili and cheese for its filling.
That's no omelet. Julia Child never used chili in an omelet.
You think you know more than Julia Child? She went to the Cordon Bleu, you know.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

:lol: rack you douchegaskets
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.