Sweden 4, Belarus 2
Czech Republic 5, Latvia 2
Finland 5, Germany 0

Saturday, February 20
Switzerland 5, Norway 4
Slovakia 6, Latvia 0
Belarus 5, Germany 3

Sunday, February 21
Russia vs. Czech Republic, 3:00 p.m. (NBC)
Canada vs. United States, 7:40 p.m. (MSNBC)
Sweden vs. Finland, 12:00 a.m. (MSNBC)

Tuesday, Febuary 23
Qualification Round

Wednesday, February 24
Quarterfinal #1, 3:00 p.m. (NBC)
Quarterfinal #2, 7:30 p.m. (CNBC)
Quarterfinal #3, 10:00 p.m. (CNBC)
Quarterfinal #4, 12:00 a.m. (CNBC)

Friday, February 26
Semifinal #1, 3:00 p.m. (NBC)
Semifinal #2, 9:30 p.m. (CNBC)

Saturday, February 27
Bronze Medal Game, 10:00 p.m. (MSNBC)

Sunday, Febuary 28
Gold Medal Game, 3:15 p.m. (NBC)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 2010 Olympic Hockey

Post by Shoalzie »

In a short tournament like this, it usually comes down to goaltending. All of the favorites have a goalie they can ride to a gold medal...some have more than one. Conversely, it's usually a hot goalie that can elevate a lesser team into contention. The Americans have a tricky test to start when they have to face Jonas Hiller and the Swiss. If they were to cause a stir in the tournament, it'll be because of the play of Hiller in net. For the Americans, Miller is the best goalie they've had since Richter retired. I think they're a little thin on defense and very young up front. The only way they medal is if Miller stands on his head.

To me, I think this is the most balanced field we've seen going into an Olympic tournament since they started this with Nagano. I'd give at least half of these teams a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. It all goes back to goaltending but I also think a team like the Russians might have the most explosive offense and they can win on that alone. They've got Nabokov and Bryzgalov in net...two guys capable of playing well in a short tournament. The Swedes, Czechs and Fins have plenty of experience...you can't count any of them out. The pressure is obviously on the Canadians to win at home and to me, they have the most complete team in the tournament and a great coach. I consider them the favorites regardless of where this is being played.

Predictions:
Gold--Canada
Silver--Russia
Bronze--Sweden
4th Place--United States
AP's Self of Steam
Crack Whore

Post by AP's Self of Steam »

For the love of Christ, why is Ron Wilson still coaching the U.S.? It's not like Peter Laviolette or any other Cup-winning U.S.-born coaches are available. Can't cut it as the Leafs coach, but is apparently appropriate for the U.S. team? Pathetic.
Atomic Punk wrote:A shit troll is threatening me now?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Wilson was a terrible choice, as was bringing back Roenick

Burke and Wilson are buddies, while i think Burke is a great GM, i think he failed with Wilson.

I do like EJ being paired with Gleason.

Also think Backes would of been better on first 2 lines.
AP's Self of Steam
Crack Whore

Roenick isn't on the roster.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

AP's Self of Steam wrote:Roenick isn't on the roster.
yeah, fucked up, i meant Drury, and thought roenick, because he was bitching about drury being on the team
AP's Self of Steam
Crack Whore

He's right and you're right. Drury, what a disgrace.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

AP's Self of Steam wrote:For the love of Christ, why is Ron Wilson still coaching the U.S.? It's not like Peter Laviolette or any other Cup-winning U.S.-born coaches are available. Can't cut it as the Leafs coach, but is apparently appropriate for the U.S. team? Pathetic.
Tortorella should be the head coach
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Gold - Canada
Silver - United States
Bronze - Russia
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Backes-Ryan line will be the key for USA medal chances.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

They looked good through 40 minutes until the Swiss decided to get out of their defensive style and opened things up. Miller was good when he had to be. The group of forwards looked interesting on paper going into the tournament and they looked strong today. Seeing the young, big forwards reminds you of the days of LeClair and Tkachuk in their prime and the speed is shades of Amonte, Modano and Roenick. What they also have are those roles players that they once had with guys like Otto and Rolston. I don't think they'll have any trouble with Norway on Thursday but Sunday against Canada will be a true test for that blue line. If they get in a run and gun with a team with any offensive skill, I think the defense will be their downfall unless Miller is superhuman...a la Richter in '96 in the World Cup.
AP's Self of Steam
Crack Whore

Shoalz, why are the clocks counting down? Aren't they supposed to count up in international play?

Is Luongo Canada's official #1? When is Brodeur expected to play?
AP's Self of Steam
Crack Whore

Rack Maria Bartiromo doing the CNBC business news updates. Still smoking.

Rules

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

AP's Self of Steam wrote:Shoalz, why are the clocks counting down? Aren't they supposed to count up in international play?

I'm sure it has to do with the NHL influence.

Is Luongo Canada's official #1? When is Brodeur expected to play?

I think he'll play the game against the Swiss. I don't think Babcock has decided on which one is the #1...he just named Luongo as the starter for the first game.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:I think the defense will be their downfall unless Miller is superhuman...a la Richter in '96 in the World Cup.
They make up of the team is one that is going to be one that wins low scoring games, so Miller is going to be counted upon moreso than Richter was in the '96 World Cup.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I think the defense will be their downfall unless Miller is superhuman...a la Richter in '96 in the World Cup.
They make up of the team is one that is going to be one that wins low scoring games, so Miller is going to be counted upon moreso than Richter was in the '96 World Cup.

That '96 team had a much better defense lead by Brian Leetch, Chris Chelios, the Hatcher brothers, Gary Suter, and Phil Housley. On this team, they've got the token veteran with Rafalski but I've watched him this year and he's definitely on the decline. They have some promising young guys like Erik and Jack Johnson along with Ryan Suter. The American defenseman having the best season isn't even on the team and that's Tyler Myers with the Sabres. The Canadians were bold to put a young stud like Doughty on their roster. Why couldn't Burke give a shot to guys like Myers or Zach Bogosian with the Thrashers?

The other factor that will drive them is if they Kane and Parise can be their go-to guys in a close game. The other nations have at least one or two lines of guys capable of scoring any time they're on the ice. The Canadians and Russians showed their depth and balance by taking apart their opposition yesterday. I wouldn't expect the Americans destroy Norway like Canada but they shouldn't have any trouble with them tomorrow. The game on Sunday with Canada should determine who wins that group and gets the favorable draw in the quarterfinals.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The '96 team also had more firepower, so that is why Miller is going to be so heavily relied upon. I predicted a Silver Medal on the basis that he will carry the team that far.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Canada is not looking very impressive right now...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The shootout has to go. It's a terrible way to decide such a team game. The Swiss deserved better.

Nice freaking rule allowing a shootout participant to go again once the first three have gone. Bush league.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'd just like to mention that CANADIAN HOCKEY SUCKS DICK. Nice going last night, you fucking tards. Prepare to get annihilated like the Vogel family on a weekend night.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:The shootout has to go. It's a terrible way to decide such a team game. The Swiss deserved better.

Nice freaking rule allowing a shootout participant to go again once the first three have gone. Bush league.

Yeah, that was a bad way for that great game to end. The shootout caters to the teams with individual skill. The Swiss play a great team game and that format just doesn't apply to them. The Swiss are an emerging hockey nation...I put them in the top 8 behind the Slovaks and Fins. Hiller was unreal in the third period...the sequence of saves that included that great glove save was brilliant.

I look at that game last night as hope for Team USA on Sunday. How you beat Canada is by playing the body and being quick on the counter-attack but you also have to a brilliant goalie. Miller is capable of stealing a game much like Hiller almost did last night. Canada looked soft last night. How many times did Getzlaf get knocked on his ass? I'm sure he's still dinged up but you don't see a guy of his size getting knocked down so much. I think if the Americans can stay out of the box but still play a physical game, I think they can break the Canadians. If the Swiss had more finishers, they should've won that game.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:Canada looked soft last night.
Yep, they looked like the bunch of pampered pussies they are. They came out flat and played like it the entire game.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Canada looked soft last night.
Yep, they looked like the bunch of pampered pussies they are. They came out flat and played like it the entire game.

Kind of reminds me of the way they looked at the start of the 2002 tournament before Gretz lit them up and they can went on to win the gold medal. You wonder if Yzerman or Babs will chew them out over this game and get them to turn it around or if this just isn't as good of a group as they appear.

From a Team USA standpoint...can't really complain about how they've looked so far with the exception of the giveaways. The Swiss almost got back in that first game with all the turnovers and the odd man rushes. Team USA needs to tighten up that part of their game. I really like what I've seen from them overall though. I still don't like their blue line but they play well as a team and I love the new blood on the team.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I just received an invite from the Canadian Embassy to watch the U.S.-Canada game there on Sunday. Should be epic! I'll be busting out the Little Brother smack and "even your best alternative bands move to the U.S." takes.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No real surprise that all three showdown games on Sunday will determine the winners of each group. If the Czechs win (in regulation, OT or shootout), they win Group B. The Russians could win the group outright with a regulation win and if they win in OT or shootout, they'd tie the Czechs in points but win on goal differential. Unlike the NHL, they do count the goal credited from a shootout into the actual goals for and against.

With USA-Canada and Sweden-Finland, whomever wins regardless in what fashion, they win their group. What makes this year's format interesting is that if you don't finish with the next best record in group play, you have to play an extra game before the quarterfinals. Teams 5-12 play in the qualification round on Tuesday to determine who plays in the top 4 in the quarters on Wednesday. There's a definite benefit to winning the group or getting that next best record to get that extra day of rest. 5/12 winner plays the #4 team, 6/11 winner plays the #3 team, 7/10 winner plays the #2 team and 8/9 winner plays the #1 team. The games today leave little to be desired and will more or less determine seedings in the qualification round.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What we know so far...
#8 Switzerland
#9 Belarus
#10 Germany
#11 Norway
#12 Latvia

Switzerland-Belarus is one of the qualification matchups on Tuesday and the winner will take on whomever ends up with the #1 seed. All four teams with 6 points have a shot at taking one of those top 4 spots without having to win today, while Russia has to win today to win their group or they'll draw Germany on Tuesday. Slovakia currently sits in 6th and would face Norway if Russia doesn't jump them in the overall standings.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Hell yeah

TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

What an absolute great day of hockey viewing. Hopefully that clown Bettman gets it through his head that NHL participation in the Olympics is a good thing (if they played in Nagano, then they can play in Sochi). the beef he has that I agree with is that the U.S.-Canada game was not on NBC. That's a fucking joke right there.

Where is all the criticism of Drury now? He scored a big goal, won a bunch of defensive zone face offs, blocked a good number of shots, and played excellent on the penalty kill. Miller will still take this team as far as he can carry them, but there were great contributions all around last night.

Ovechkin lighting up Jagr was pretty sweet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MuchoBulls wrote:Hopefully that clown Bettman gets it through his head that NHL participation in the Olympics is a good thing (if they played in Nagano, then they can play in Sochi).
The IOC, instead of being the criminal cabal it is, needs to step up to the plate and compensate the NHL for use of its players. Simply put.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Much, Colin Cowherd made a good point about the game being on MSNBC this morning. If you put it on NBC then you have to go away from it periodically for other events. I liked the fact that it was on another channel so I could watch the pre game stuff, then the entire game without having to go to ice dancing, curling, or any of that other stuff I really don't care about nor do I understand. I don't like the fact that they delay stuff but as long as I get the entire game I don't really care what channel it's on.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The IOC, instead of being the criminal cabal it is, needs to step up to the plate and compensate the NHL for use of its players. Simply put.
Very true.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

For tomorrow...
Belarus vs. Switzerland, 3:00 p.m. (winner plays United States)
Canada vs. Germany, 7:30 p.m. (winner plays Russia)
Czech Republic vs. Latvia, 10:00 p.m. (winner plays Finland)
Slovakia vs. Norway, 12:00 p.m. (winner plays Sweden)

And then on Wednesday...
United States vs. Belarus/Switzerland, 3:00 p.m.
Finland vs. Czech Republic/Latvia, 7:30 p.m.
Sweden vs. Slovakia/Norway, 10:00 p.m.
Russia vs. Canada/Germany, 12:00 p.m.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Czechs were robbed yesterday. That was a definite goal before the ref blew the whistle dead.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Do I have to take back all the mean things I said about Drury making the US team?
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

US in good position to get to the finals.

Sweden, Russia, Canada, and the Slovs in the other bracket.

Just have to take care of business in the quarters and then play big vs Czech or Finland.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Do I have to take back all the mean things I said about Drury making the US team?
I wish he'd have been playing like this all season long.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Laxplayer wrote:Much, Colin Cowherd made a good point about the game being on MSNBC this morning. If you put it on NBC then you have to go away from it periodically for other events. I liked the fact that it was on another channel so I could watch the pre game stuff, then the entire game without having to go to ice dancing, curling, or any of that other stuff I really don't care about nor do I understand. I don't like the fact that they delay stuff but as long as I get the entire game I don't really care what channel it's on.
That's all well and good (and to some extent I agree) but having the game on MSNBC did nothing to really promote the sport. Bettman is an idiot for not making sure that a game between the US and Canada was on NBC instead of being relegated to the 2nd tier channel of MSNBC. The NHL is in dire need of promotion and what better way could the game of hockey been promoted then to have a prime-time showing on NBC instead of some second-rate cable channel? He's allowing players from HIS league to play in these Olympics so he should have some backbone to push for national exposure on NBC. But he's too much of an idiot to negotiate for that.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

jiminphilly wrote:That's all well and good (and to some extent I agree) but having the game on MSNBC did nothing to really promote the sport. Bettman is an idiot for not making sure that a game between the US and Canada was on NBC instead of being relegated to the 2nd tier channel of MSNBC. The NHL is in dire need of promotion and what better way could the game of hockey been promoted then to have a prime-time showing on NBC instead of some second-rate cable channel? He's allowing players from HIS league to play in these Olympics so he should have some backbone to push for national exposure on NBC. But he's too much of an idiot to negotiate for that.
RACK the hell out of that take!! Perfectly said.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

No argument from me about that......
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Anyone watching Latvia take it to Czech?

2-2 with 3 mins left