FORE!!!!

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Dinsdale
Lord Google

FORE!!!!

Post by Dinsdale »

That is all.

I hope you all enjoy your snowblowers as much as I'll enjoy shanking my driver all over the place this afternoon.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Re: FORE!!!!

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:That is all.

I hope you all enjoy your snowblowers as much as I'll enjoy shanking my driver all over the place this afternoon.
Where ?
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ended up going to Sandelie West 9. Not too bad a track, and is about the closest "real" non-neighborhood course to me (besides that abomination known as Redtail), so the Sandelie's get played a bit. I think the kids take a little better care of their course (West) than Mom does on the East.

Was in pretty nice shape for early February... my game... not so much.

Actually, since I stink anyway, I guess I'm in decent early-season form. Hit some nice shots, duffed enough to keep the score in the "disappointing" range. Contact was there most shots, and I adjusted my distances really well for the cool, wet conditions -- just couldn't quite get them going exactly on line.

Sliced one drive off into the woods, never to be seen again -- the rest of them found the fairway. Just about every approach was slightly off line, and found the fringe, or missed the green by that much. And my short chips and putting was definitely not in midseason form... got little love from those clubs, save for being completely robbed by a chip lipping out -- fucker was about halfway down then went Puxatawny Phil on me and came back up -- pissed me right off.

And yes, there was a Snowman involved... but at least it was on a par 5. Pin-high next to the green in 3, and duffed that fucker right into a deep, damp bunker... 5 more shots to get home, which made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

But I consider it a huge success, since my bad elbow didn't bother me much. Over the last year or two, when it acts up, I tend to hit a lot of nasty hooks. So at least I've got that going for me.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:Ended up going to Sandelie West 9.
Not a bad course for winter golf. The trees pretty much allow for unrestricted dope smoking on all but a couple of holes.

Too many courses now days are too open, and the owners / managers watch everybody.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Although both courses now sell beer, which legally negates bringing your own.

Playing those concrete-clay fairways on a hot summer day, I've been witness (and possibly party to) some of the most outrageous on-links drunkfests ever. Seems like in the Good Old Days of Sandelie (few years ago), those fuckers just didn't give a shit what you did out there, as long as they got their 25 bucks. Now, it's almost like a real course or something -- save for all that maintainenece and nice greens and stuff.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

ain't livin in the west fun?

ski in the morning and play a round in the afternoon
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Or go surfing or salt water fishing...

Oh, sorry Felix.

How's golf conditions in your neck of the woods arid wasteland?

Been warmer-than-average here.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

supposed to be about 58 here today...
I'm heading out to the course in a couple of hours
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Supposed to be 60's and sunny by the end of the week... and the public places are still wheeling and dealing the winter rates, which is nice.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I played yesterday.

Actually, I hit the ball quite well...

Well to the right, well to the left, well short, well long, and one bad enough that it almost dropped down into a well.

That's a lot of hitting the ball well, right there.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I got out yesterday too for 9 holes. Course is in pretty shitty shape, but the greens were pretty nice. It was just nice to get out swingin again. Got 2 rounds in so far this year. Fucking wind was pretty bad. I was 150 out on one hole and had to Ken a 7-iron into the green and still came up a bit short and I even hit it pretty solid.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I drove a green yesterday.

Didn't make the putt or anything like that. The comebacker even tried to pop up out of the hole -- at which point my buddy was hitting the deck, for fear of flying putters.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

It is a very pleasant 63 degrees here in Rochester. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. Might just have to go down to the basement, get the clubs cleaned up and loaded in the car with the idea of getting some after class holes in tomorrow afternoon.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

That 71 degrees yesterday had the parking lot full up the road at my "home" course. Probably 3 foursomes on each hole...came by there today, 46 degrees, SW wind at 35 and there were 2 cars in the lot.

I damn near bought a couple of different 9 hole courses ( The Highlands- Gearhart, Kings Valley- Crescent City) back when they were affordable and you could make your money back in less than 20 years. Kind of glad I did not now, although some dudes who did back in those days ( sup O'Mearas?), their ship has basically come in. An 18 hole course with no debt is a fucking screaming money maker.

Kid played nine at some course near Quantico yesterday and said it was awesome, then went bass fishing today. I raised that boy right if that is how he spends his weekends.
Derron
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Derron wrote:I raised that boy right if that is how he spends his weekends.
He just doesn't tell you about cruising the gay clubs in Dupont Circle on weekend nights.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Derron wrote:The Highlands- Gearhart
big fan....I bought a lot of stuff from Discount Dan...I think he sold out, but I haven't played there for a couple of years so I'm not sure

btw, 60 here today and shot an 81
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Played Saturday. Carded a 37 on the front only to follow it up with a 45 on the back for an 82. Overall, hit the ball well, but could not putt worth a shit.

Highlight of the day was watching my uncle double-eagle a par 5. His first double-eagle. I was also witness to his first and only hole in one. When the fuck will I get my first hole in one? On a side note, I did chip in for a bird though it was nothing special. Of course, any chip that does not result in a chili dip or a coon is success in my book.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:It is a very pleasant 63 degrees here in Rochester. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. Might just have to go down to the basement, get the clubs cleaned up and loaded in the car with the idea of getting some after class holes in tomorrow afternoon.
After class? Are we back in school?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:
BSmack wrote:It is a very pleasant 63 degrees here in Rochester. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. Might just have to go down to the basement, get the clubs cleaned up and loaded in the car with the idea of getting some after class holes in tomorrow afternoon.
After class? Are we back in school?
Yep. Taking advantage of some unplanned free time to get some certifications (CCNA certs) and an A.A.S in computer systems technology. I started in January and how long I am without gainful employment will determine how quickly I finish. Although I have enough saved that I could do it without going back to work, I won't turn down a good job either.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Taking advantage of some unplanned free time to get some certifications (CCNA certs) and an A.A.S in computer systems technology.
Those ecrts are a cool deal, but...

First, I've never worked as a full time IT guy. I have spent time as a "backup admin" for a couple of small companies, and odd-jobbed for some large ones...

Just bear in mind that while the nut-and-bolts of what you learn in the classroom (IP being particularly important), what you see in the "real world" doesn't even vaguely resemble those classroom labs.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

BSmack

how long I am without gainful employment
Your falling right into lockstep with your Chimp for Change's plan for all you who elevated him to the throne. Your vote will be rewarded.

Better take that IT thing and use it to find that dream government tit job you desire.

All that said, props to you for doing it.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Derron wrote:I raised that boy right if that is how he spends his weekends.
He just doesn't tell you about cruising the gay clubs in Dupont Circle on weekend nights.
I see you know here they are at... :lol: :lol: :doh: :doh:
Derron
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:Taking advantage of some unplanned free time to get some certifications (CCNA certs) and an A.A.S in computer systems technology.
Those ecrts are a cool deal, but...

First, I've never worked as a full time IT guy. I have spent time as a "backup admin" for a couple of small companies, and odd-jobbed for some large ones...

Just bear in mind that while the nut-and-bolts of what you learn in the classroom (IP being particularly important), what you see in the "real world" doesn't even vaguely resemble those classroom labs.
I hear ya. The first time I saw the "network" in our class lab I just about busted a gut. It is pretty much what passed for a QA lab setup at my old company. The real racks of servers and routers were hidden away in a room that was protected by biometric scanners, and I only set foot in there twice during the 10 years I worked there. And when one of our labs asked us to connect two PCs via an ethernet cable, well that was a joke as well. Even funnier was half the class not realizing what the fuck a crossover cable is. But hey, its all about getting the paper and moving up.

Derron,

Actually, it looks like I might be the private sector guy in our household. My wife is looking to become a dispatcher at a 911 call center in our area. A dispatcher is someone who takes the raw data given to the 911 operator and assigns the call to the appropriate police or fire agency. It would be a sweet gig, and it would pretty much guarantee her retirement. Which would free me up to go for a private sector gig.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Even funnier was half the class not realizing what the fuck a crossover cable is.
I'll take "things that haven't been used in the real world in 10 years for $1000, Alex."

Yeah, learning to "network" two PCs with a crossover is worth spending lab time on, eh? (OK, I did that stupid shit almost 10 years ago, but it was useless back then even).

Either learning routing (which I'm guessing you are, after mentioning the CCNA, which ain't the automatic $120K+ job it used to be), or learning Active Directory seems to be the winner.

But after learning shit in school, then seeing how a real corporate network works (usually with duct tape and bubble gum to make different-era software work, since I've yet to see a "blank check" network), is quite a shock. Then you start btrying to mix in ERP stuff or whatever... forgetaboutit.

The computer work I do nowadays -- everyone in the freaking house is an accomplished IT tech (except maybe the receptionist). Good thing, since there's some crazy stuff going on with the (small) network, and I don't touch it (to their benefit), save for logging machines into it by the hundreds (we image/prep machines for large companies, in addition to outsourced IT stuff).
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

You want a cert that not only challenges you in the classroom (ie: not laughing at the materials or the otther students) but also in the workplace, get one for SAP Business Intelligence. You could make a shitload of money consulting with it. Working wonders for me...of course, it cost about $25k to go through the 5 week program (that was 5 years ago for me), but it was company paid.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

BSmack wrote:
Derron,

Actually, it looks like I might be the private sector guy in our household. My wife is looking to become a dispatcher at a 911 call center in our area. A dispatcher is someone who takes the raw data given to the 911 operator and assigns the call to the appropriate police or fire agency. It would be a sweet gig, and it would pretty much guarantee her retirement. Which would free me up to go for a private sector gig.
Much as I detest the government benefits package, not the employees or wages, but the benefits, one person in a family being a government leach is pretty common, and makes a whole lot of financial sense for the family involved. That person gets the full family benefit package that covers everyone with very little out of pocket expense, which gives the other the chance to opt out or have double coverage, and at least gets one retirement secured.

You seem to have good financial sense outside of your liberal tax and spend ways, so that will probably work out pretty good for you. You just have to put up with the political games and bullshit in those jobs, and watch out for burnout in a dispatcher job.

My wife worked for OHSU for 17 years and left there in 2007 because of the 2 hour each way commute on public mistransportation, and to take the admin load off me, since we were both working or gone 12 to 13 hours per day. We were doing OK, then with the economy going to shitin 2008, we closed 3 business over the next year, I got sick with UC last year and it all kind of unraveled. We have talked about her finding a better job than she has now, (part time Habitat for Humanity), but we live a bit rural from the good job centers, and the commute can be a time killer, for the better jobs, IF there was any yobs in our depressed 16% unemployment state. She has some money in an IRA, but not even close to what she will need, since I will likely croak before she retires, but I have a huge pile of life insurance.

Friends of ours 52 and 49 both work for the local PUD..getting ready to retire in 3 years..both will make 100% of salary in retirement. Well over 100K per year !! for fucking retirees !! :hfal: 2 other friends, early 60's both retired and make about 107% of their last salary. Even with paying some health care. Our daughter is 27, sheriffs dept administrator, makes decent money and great benefits for her family of four, which takes the pressure off her husband, (logger, self employed). His mom is also a public schools employee, which takes even more pressure off the family logging business to provide health care for the principles at least.

That is surely one mistake I made in my business's, paying for health insurance for her and me, had to at the time, but completely uninsured right now ......WHERE THE FUCK IS MY HANDOUT FROM THE CHANGE CHIMP !! I mean this shit passed yesterday..fucking get on it..
Derron
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:You want a cert that not only challenges you in the classroom (ie: not laughing at the materials or the otther students) but also in the workplace, get one for SAP Business Intelligence. You could make a shitload of money consulting with it. Working wonders for me...of course, it cost about $25k to go through the 5 week program (that was 5 years ago for me), but it was company paid.
After I get my A.A.S and CCNA cert, getting the company I work for to pay is exactly the road I want to take. Around these parts, RIT has working arrangements with a bunch of employers as well as the CC I am attending now. So transferring credit won't be a huge problem and I'll hopefully be able to network my way into a company that will pay my way through to a BS in IT. I'll definitely keep the SAP in mind as a possible long term option if I can get some company to throw down for it.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

BSmack wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:You want a cert that not only challenges you in the classroom (ie: not laughing at the materials or the otther students) but also in the workplace, get one for SAP Business Intelligence. You could make a shitload of money consulting with it. Working wonders for me...of course, it cost about $25k to go through the 5 week program (that was 5 years ago for me), but it was company paid.
After I get my A.A.S and CCNA cert, getting the company I work for to pay is exactly the road I want to take. Around these parts, RIT has working arrangements with a bunch of employers as well as the CC I am attending now. So transferring credit won't be a huge problem and I'll hopefully be able to network my way into a company that will pay my way through to a BS in IT. I'll definitely keep the SAP in mind as a possible long term option if I can get some company to throw down for it.
First things first...find a company that uses SAP. ;)

Dice.com is a good place to start.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

so I'm out playing yesterday....a little windy (prolly 15 to 20 mph) and actually not playing bad...the course was kind of slow so just went out by myself which gives me the opportunity to try some different things, hit some extra shots, etc.....so I'm following these two mooks that put the slow into slowest fucking twosome you can imagine....on the 14th hole, a twosome in back of me catches up, then another single catches us....all while waiting for this twosome to clear the green on a par three......four of us and these fuckwits are still slowing us down....

of course, from that point on my game went to hell in a handbasket....
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix,

Nothing a little Titleist enema can't cure. I love firing the "oops, I've never hit it that far in my life!" into the slow group ahead of me.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:Felix,

Nothing a little Titleist enema can't cure. I love firing the "oops, I've never hit it that far in my life!" into the slow group ahead of me.

The one thing I hate about playing tournaments is the slow play...but I recognize that it's going to be slow and adjust my thinking accordingly....

but a 4.5 hour round for two guys with nobody in front of them is simply unfathomable and unforgiveable....

unfortunately, I've been hit twice with golf balls so no matter how slow, I could never fire into another group.....

but I'll never discourage someone else in a group I'm playing with from doing it :wink:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I was doing the internet tough guy thing. I haven't fired one intentionally into a group ahead of me since I was in high school. However, I've had times where the group ahead was like 300 yards ahead of me and I tee off and roll one up with 10-20 yards to send the message.

Luckily, on my home course, we do not have tee times, and if you can find a spot on the course that is open, which is 90% of the time, you can skip around. There's this one group that plays 5.5 hour rounds consistently. If I see them in #1 fairway, I usually go to hole #4 and will generally catch up to them on the back 9 (9 hole CC). If I'm in a group larger than 2 people, we never see them again until they roll in after 18 and we are on our 4th beverage in the 19th hoe.

I've been hit once by a golf ball. Unfortunately, I was the one who hit it. :doh: Punching out of the trees with a 3 iron, dead solid into a tree and back at my dome. Got my hand up in time to keep it from hitting my face. Broke my middle finger.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:However, I've had times where the group ahead was like 300 yards ahead of me and I tee off and roll one up with 10-20 yards to send the message.
I did that last year....guys were about 320 to 330 yards away, no way I can hit it that far anymore...slight wind at my back and I simply clocked it....it rolled up next to one of the guys and he turns around....I do my best wind sprint up to them apologizing all the way and the guy it rolled up to smiles and says "nothing to be sorry about, if you can hit it like that you should be playing on the PGA"....probably one of the nicest ways to say it's okay, just don't let it happen again....

I've been hit once by a golf ball. Unfortunately, I was the one who hit it. :doh: Punching out of the trees with a 3 iron, dead solid into a tree and back at my dome. Got my hand up in time to keep it from hitting my face. Broke my middle finger.
I got hit on the base of my skull off a descending drive and it knocked me cold for about 30 seconds....next thing I know I'm looking up at my buddies and they're all "fuck dude are you all right" they told me what happened and I'm trying to get to my feet with a fucking pitching wedge with which I plan to carve my intitials in the douchebag that hit me....the group behind us picked up their bags and sprinted off the course, never bother to checking to see whether I was alright....I rode a couple holes, then played the last couple...go storming into the clubhouse to find out who in the fuck was playing behind us...he tells me the guys name and I get the info from the golf association website and call him on the phone...the fucking asshole feigns no knowlege of what I'm talking about and swears it wasn't his group....that was the end of that...fucking pansy wouldn't even admit to it

the second was less spectacular, but hurt a lot worse...I took a shot in my upper thigh off a ricocheted drive...it was about four inches left of my nuts....that fucker left about a 3 inch raised welt and hurt like hell for about a week
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

You should have taken advantage of your misfortune and joined the circus as the three-balled man.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Should have named this thread "FOUR!"

Since 4 seems to be a lofty goal on par 4's to me these days.

Jeebus. I seem to have two modes of play lately -- either I can pound the long game, keep it behind the mower, hit the green... and take 3 or 4 putts to put it in, assuming I don't miss the green and then bump it clean over the green... twice...

Or shank the long ones all over the yard, take 4 shots just to put it on the carpet, then 1-putt.

Kinda stating to piss me off. Ain't hitting the ball that badly, for the most part. Just ain't getting it that close in the proscribed number of strokes.

Haven't hit a birdie putt that wasn't a kick-in in quite a while -- this must change, for the sake of my sanity, and the safety of the other golfers, what with psychotic fits of rage being imminent.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

[quote="Dinsdale[/quote]
Haven't hit a birdie putt that wasn't a kick-in in quite a while [/quote]

I had a boat load of birdies in my first few rounds, and haven't come close since....I had five chances from less than 15 feet yesterday and didn't even come fucking close to making one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just about holed a (really easy) par 3 Saturday... by the time it spun back to me, was probably 7 feet out, flat and straight putt...

Of course not. Just felt lucky to make the comebacker.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Played Cypresswood - Tradition today. It's holds the qualifier for the Shell Houston Open every year. Great track with hardly any flat spots for your approach shot. That is rare for the Houston area.

I start off terrible. I went double, double, triple to start off the day. I play the next 3 holes bogey, bogey, bogey. What. The. Fuck.

I am fucking pissed. The driver is terrible, short irons are all over the place, and my putting was atrocious. I'm ready to throw my entire bag in the nearest pond.

We come to a massive par 4 dogleg left. Wind is in our faces and it's 474 from the tips and at this point I am not liking my chances of turning the day around on this bitch of a hole. I hit an okay drive, then nut a 4-iron only to come up 20 yards short of the hole. I chip it up about 15 feet pass the hole and am faced with a left to right swinger that once it gets to the hole, there is not stopping it unless you hit the back of the cup. I gave it my best lag try and somehow make the putt. My first par of the day on the #1 handicap hole.

I guess that's all I needed 'cus I play the last eleven holes 1 over par with a double on 17. Nothing like having the tale of two nines. 45 out - 37 in for a whacky 82.

Fucking golf.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Played 36 holes today with some coworkers. We played the men's tees which measured the track at a modest 6500 yards. Had I hit my wedges any good at all, then I could have ripped that course apart. However, I was terrible from 100 yards in and it cost me about 5 strokes on the first 18 and 3 strokes on the second round. I did, however, manage to hit my last 12 greens in regulation on round two. The ball striking was pretty deece, but just could not fire it close to the pin.

Round 1 - 80
Round 2 - 75
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I finally quit Friscoing my short pitches over the green Saturday.

But started whiffing the Scorekiller (that'd be the driver) all over the joint. The driver had been going long and straight (if nothing else... and I do mean "nothing," I'm a pretty big hitter. That and 3-fiddy gets me a beer).

Hell, I was even hitting some greens, which had me exclaiming "I should be able to 3-putt that one, no problem!"

Then I had the wherewithal to knock down the longest putt I faced all day, for a bird (should have had more than one bird in 9).

But at least I improved over my recent efforts. Kept it well under bogey, albeit on an easy course.

But at least I'm getting through 9 without my elbow going to shit and making me wince and cringe, and my back isn't bothering me at all. I would have thought I'd start getting back to my old level (not very good) much quicker than this, but I guess not.

Funny moment -- I wailed a drive on a short par 4. Sucker went probably 22 straight down the fairway... then, took a 90-degree right, and went another 80 yards. Almost cleared the next fairway over, but just stayed in the short stuff. I freaking hammered a PW, just cleared the bigazz trees, and hit the green. My buddies laughed pretty good.

My bud I was playing with just freaking lawn-darted a short par 3. Just stuck it, maybe a foot away, pin high, just left . Rather than kicking it in, being the courteous guy he is, he fixed his ball mark (which was in a line). The other two of us putted out (noooo, I couldn't make that 10 footer for bird), and he replaced his ball... and whiffed. Classic. Fotunately, he laughed, and I wasn't injured by a flying club.