The Rat lands in DC

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Paul
Elwood

The Rat lands in DC

Post by Paul »

Mike Shanahan will be announced as the newest Redskins head coach/whipping boy for Napoleon Snyder on Wednesday....news reports say that Ferret-Face Mike will have complete control of all team decisions, but does anybody REALLY believe that? :meds:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
velocet
"Q-Town"

Re: The Rat lands in DC

Post by velocet »

No matter how the "power arrangement" shakes out, few would argue that the new regime is not an upgrade (Snyder notwithstanding of course).

Bruce Allen > Vinny

Shanny > Zorn

I'm happy with that for now. Roster improvements to follow, hopefully.

velocet
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

It'll be interesting to see if Shanny keeps Jason Campbell or drafts a young QB like Sam Bradford with the 4th pick in the draft. SkinFan, at least with Shanny and Shanny Jr. you KNOW your offense should improve a lot over the past couple of years.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

Paul wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Shanny keeps Jason Campbell or drafts a young QB like Sam Bradford with the 4th pick in the draft. SkinFan, at least with Shanny and Shanny Jr. you KNOW your offense should improve a lot over the past couple of years.

Once Spurrier was done with his college run-n-shoot here, Gibbs returned and we rejoiced, thinking a competent passing game (of the Air Coryell ancestry) was in the offing.

Nope.

Then Gibbs grabbed Saunders. I was really happy with that move. I don't think I need to tell you why Saunders was an exciting prospect. :mrgreen:

That didn't work either, though, for the most part. Except at the very end of '07.

Then we get two waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in over their heads lifetime position coaches, Zorn and Sherman Whateverthefuck to run an NFL offense. Even with the addition of another Sherman later on, it was still all amateur all the time.

Bottom line is, we've had the good and the bad over this decade after Marty, and yet have had a loser offense tradition in the aggregate. We're a little snake-bit, so I'm not sure of much.

velocet
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I stand corrected though. I didn't think any decent coach would come here. Maybe because Cerrato is gone. We'll see.

Velo said it best, as usual.

Yay Skins.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

Tom In VA wrote:I stand corrected though. I didn't think any decent coach would come here. Maybe because Cerrato is gone. We'll see.

Velo said it best, as usual.

Yay Skins.

Well, thanks for that! The question is: as fans, what are our immediate expectations? I expect the 'Skins to be more competitive in the division. No more of this dead last and swept by every team crap.

Hope and Change in '10

:mrgreen:
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

My immediate expectation is a team that gets used to losing together for a season - developing character and cohesion such that they enjoy steadily learning how to win together over the next several years.

Eventually they'll be competitive again in the division, the way our division looks - maybe in two - three years.

As for the NFL ? It might take awhile longer.

I expect someone to build a system and a team. Enough of this "Insta Champion" delusion.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Bottom line is, we've had the good and the bad over this decade after Marty, and yet have had a loser offense tradition in the aggregate. We're a little snake-bit, so I'm not sure of much.

Sincerely,
The Daniel
Perfect....
Last edited by Joe in PB on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

Joe in PB wrote:

Sinerely,
The Daniel
Perfect....

Oh, I see what you did there. It's one thing for a random schmuck fan like me to voice that. Quite another for the owner. Nice one.

velocet
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

He's the biggest problem Redskin fans face, not unlike Al Davis. If Snider actually lets Shanahan run the show that will be a huge step in the right direction, although I'm not sold on Bruce Allen. Seems Tampa's cubbard was pretty bare when he left town.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

Joe in PB wrote:He's the biggest problem Redskin fans face, not unlike Al Davis. If Snider actually lets Shanahan run the show that will be a huge step in the right direction, although I'm not sold on Bruce Allen. Seems Tampa's cubbard was pretty bare when he left town.

As a BoltFan it is your duty to smack Davis, so I understand what's behind your statement. But I could never even imply that Davis is as much a loser as Snyder. For ALL of Davis' lunacy I can't argue with the fukking hardware the team owns from his watch. Eight long years since the Raiders last SB appearance is a lot less sux than the eighteen year lost in the sauce odyssey my team has been on.

Enjoy Norv and props to him. He beat my team with your 2nd and 3rd stringers. I've not posted extensively about him but I always endorse the guy. For most of his time here he didn't have the players to get it done. Once he did have a good roster we finally got to the playoffs.

And then, to bring this back around to your well-taken point, Snyder happened. Fired the guy while we had winning record in the middle of a season.

For the AFC Westerners who hate Rat and want to see his head explode in frustration born of defeat, you might get your wish. But we'll see.

velocet
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

My comparison of Snyder to Davis was in context to Al's recent (since Chucky) managing of the Raiders. Both he and Snyder have a similar pattern of mismanaging team personnel & using coaches as fall guys.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

'Tis true Joe.

Redskin's fan fear IS that The Boy King will be another Al Davis, especially since he's so young. That means a loooong time of pain.

But don't deprive us of this faint glimmer of hope due to your disdain for the Rat. Prior to the Skins losing Vinny, my bet is that Shannahan wouldn't have even considered the deal. In fact, I'll go one better and suggest that Snyder's decision to let go of Vinny was in large part to attract a coach - to attract Shannahan or any other coach with experience and a track record.

Bruce Allen might be all those things you've suggested. But this is a step in a DIFFERENT direction, might be a side step, but I think we got rid of some dead weight with Vinny's removal.

I have to say it. Personally, for me, that was about the only thing I wanted to change. Zorn cut his teeth. Some of the new players stepped up and showed guts. Some regrouping, a few personnel moves that make sense here and there, I think the team under Zorn could have done something. I would have liked to have seen that.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

It will be a fun trainwreck to watch a couple years down the road.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Joe wrote:I'm not sold on Bruce Allen. Seems Tampa's cubbard was pretty bare when he left town.
Buc fan could speak to Allen's time in Tampa better than I can, but from my POV, he was fighting an uphill battle.

The Bucs were getting to be a pretty OLD team when they won the Super Bowl in Jan of 2003.
In 2002 they had no 1st or 2nd round draft choices.
Then in 2003 they had no 1st round draft choice.
Allen was trying to oversee the transition from an older team to a younger one and that's not an easy task.
The team of he and Gruden had mixed results in Tampa Bay.

From his time in Oakland, I regard B. Allen pretty highly.
He's been truly missed, and that is generally the mark of a pretty good one.
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

trev wrote:It will be a fun trainwreck to watch a couple years down the road.
I agree....the Bolts better cash it in this year, because it's fucking OVER after that.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

If Snyder can sit on his hands and duct tape his mouth for a couple of season, then Shanny can get it done.

The defense is halfway decent, but that offense has no identity. The o-line needs to be overhauled, the backfield needs to get younger, and Malcolm Kelly needs to step his game up and become a number 1. If he can't do it, then the 'Skins need find somebody who can.

First thing Shanny needs to do is go get a QB.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

velocet wrote: Bottom line is, we've had the good and the bad over this decade after Marty, and yet have had a loser offense tradition in the aggregate. We're a little snake-bit, so I'm not sure of much.
Could've just as easily been written by Chief fan.

Thing is, when you've been mired in suck for so long the situation seems hopeless, as if there's never going to be a light at the end of the tunnel. It can take years and years and for some teams it doesn't ever get better.
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

velocet wrote: For most of his time here he didn't have the players to get it done. Once he did have a good roster we finally got to the playoffs.
For a couple years he had Stubblefield/Wilkinson on the defensive line, Ken Harvey at linebacker and Green/Dishman on the corners and nobody even bothered to throw the ball on those two. If he's such an offensive genius, why didn't he figure out a way to make Terry Allen and Stephen Davis the most dangerous tandem in the NFL?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Paul wrote:
trev wrote:It will be a fun trainwreck to watch a couple years down the road.
I agree....the Bolts better cash it in this year, because it's fucking OVER after that.
Thanks for the insight little buddy. You were the one saying the Chiefs were going to win the west. Keep trying though.