Who's a lock for the first "major" of the year?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Who's a lock for the first "major" of the year?

Post by Felix »

The Tournament Players Championship has always been what I consider the first "major" of the year. Generally speaking, it's the first tournament of the year where virtually every one of the top 25 players in the world is scheduled to play.

Right now, I think Vijay is the man to beat. He is shooting lights out tee to green. His only vulnerablity appears to be his putting, which could best be characterized as erratic. Still, his under par numbers are astonishing, so his putting must not be that weak.

Tough course, tough conditions. Who's going to win it?
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The hottest player this year is still Lefty.

Tiger is still the best player, provided the course is not so rain soaked that his drives plug at 290 yards.

Vijay is having some serious putter issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to the belly putter.

If the course is as soaked as Bay Hill was, a solid ball striker like Kenny Perry or a Fred Funk comes into play.

My pick?

Sergio Garcia.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

I would go with Vijay to win the 5th major but... his track record at Sawgrass isn't exactly stellar.

Lefty.. he's still on top of his game and supposedly has been spending his time practising at Sawgrass for most of the week.
But it'll be interesting to see if Lefty will bounce back from his loss to Woods at Doral three weeks ago.
Can't see that happening this week.

Woods and Els showed nothing last week..

Goosen's a definite possibilty...

My guess... Padraig Harrington
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Otis wrote:My guess... Padraig Harrington
I hope you're right, that's who I've got picked in my Fantasy pool.

Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

I'd keep an eye on somebody like Steve Jones. He's still riding high from his '96 US Open win at Oakland Hills, and the T36 at the FBR Open is a harbinger of good things to come.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You guys are nuts.

Tiger.

The further we get into the season, the better Tiger is playing. Vijay is getting too big for his britches. He thrived as the #2 guy, but when the spotlight is directly on him, it seems to mess with his concentration. I don't see Tiger losing on Sunday afternoons -- I do see VijayVanDeveld and Lefty melting.

I like the Goosen pick, too. If that guy is in contention, he appears to be immune to pressure. Ice water in that one's veins.

Harrington is developing quite nicely as an up and coming star. Impressive last week. Heck, just about all of the top 50-100 players can make the shots, it's a matter of who "wants it more." Last week, Pradraig just wanted it a little more.

Speaking of icemen, aren't we about due to see Olazabel come out of nowhere and do something huge? Seems like every time you forget about him, he reminds you that he's occasionally one of the best players ever, he just never wanted to commit to being a full-time, all-time great. Who knows, maybe he really wants another Green Jacket to add to his collection.

That said, at Sawgrass.......I gotta go with Peter Jacobsen. If he's even in the field, which he probably isn't. BUT, if he is, then he'll win.[/homer]
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Biggie wrote:I'd keep an eye on somebody like Steve Jones. He's still riding high from his '96 US Open win at Oakland Hills, and the T36 at the FBR Open is a harbinger of good things to come.
Yeah, I think Steve Jones is going to put up the number to shoot for. :lol:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
Biggie wrote:I'd keep an eye on somebody like Steve Jones. He's still riding high from his '96 US Open win at Oakland Hills, and the T36 at the FBR Open is a harbinger of good things to come.
Yeah, I think Steve Jones is going to put up the number to shoot for. :lol:
I think you all are not giving D.A. Weibring his props.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Steve Jones won a scoring title in the ABA, so you never know.......
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Steve Jones won a scoring title in the ABA, so you never know.......
I do--at least for the first round. :lol: :lol:

http://www.pgatour.com/scoring/leaderboard/r
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

HA!!!

My guys, Tiger and Jake, are in a DEADLOCK for 31st.......

I should be a bookmaker in Vegas, except Nevada blows butt.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And a couple more mental breakdowns, and I'll be playing David Duvall for beers and dollars soon. Damn, how the mighty have fallen. Dude needs to take up bowling or something.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:And a couple more mental breakdowns, and I'll be playing David Duvall for beers and dollars soon. Damn, how the mighty have fallen. Dude needs to take up bowling or something.
In all fairness Dins, he did shoot a 76 at Sawgrass, so he seems to be improving. Given his last several tournaments:

2/13/05 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am CUT 85 79 74 238 +22 --
2/20/05 Nissan Open CUT 74 76 -- -- -- 150 +8 --
2/27/05 Chrysler Classic of Tucson CUT 69 75 -- -- -- 144 E -- (First two decent rounds he's put together)
3/20/05 Bay Hill Invitational Presented by MasterCard CUT 85 79 -- -- -- 164 +20

I'd say a 76 at TPC is an improvement--relationally speaking of course. Watching bits and pieces of that 85 he threw up at Bay Hill was, shall we say-painful. Obviously it's between the ears, he's still got a nice swing.

Look for him to shoot about a 90 tomorrow.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Felix wrote:
Otis wrote:My guess... Padraig Harrington
I hope you're right, that's who I've got picked in my Fantasy pool.

Round 1's 14 points is a good start.

And I'm the only one that picked him today.

S'up Fu :lol:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Mickelson
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Another week, another suspended round.

BTW: Fred Funk is sitting one shot off Jones.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Tiger, lighting it up.

Watch out for the greatest golfer of all-time.

:roll:
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mr T wrote:Tiger, lighting it up.

Watch out for the greatest golfer of all-time.

:roll:
The swamplike conditions at Sawgrass have taken his advantages and turned them into weaknesses. Every player is susceptible to that kind of week. Watching Tiger hit mudballs all week has been sad to watch, but it is hardly indicative of where Tiger's game is at. Because, no matter the fact that Tiger's 330 yard bombs were being turned into 290 yard drives and his approaches were being matched by has been and never were hacks taking advantage of greens more receptive than Blondieskank after a case of Natty Light, TIGER still made his 140th straight cut.

To put that in perspective, the next longest active cut streak is in the mid 20's by Ernie Els.

To put things in even more perspective, Tiger Woods has more wins at the age of 28 than Hale Irwin and Greg Norman COMBINED.

What about this is not sinking in?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Mr T wrote:Watch out for the greatest golfer of all-time.
Annika Sörenstam is taking the next couple of weeks off.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Did somebody say something about Fred Funk?

:wink:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

BSmack wrote: The swamplike conditions at Sawgrass have taken his advantages and turned them into weaknesses. Every player is susceptible to that kind of week. Watching Tiger hit mudballs all week has been sad to watch, but it is hardly indicative of where Tiger's game is at.
So the other players werent playing in these conditions?

Poor tiger having to play in those conditions....

:cry:
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mr T wrote:
BSmack wrote: The swamplike conditions at Sawgrass have taken his advantages and turned them into weaknesses. Every player is susceptible to that kind of week. Watching Tiger hit mudballs all week has been sad to watch, but it is hardly indicative of where Tiger's game is at.
So the other players werent playing in these conditions?

Poor tiger having to play in those conditions....

:cry:
You are aware that the further and higher a player hits his ball, the more likely it is to be a mudball? Furthermore, you must also be aware that when the greens are spongy, that it tends to level the playing feild in favor of the shorter hitters? Conditions like that are fairly rare on tour, that's why NONE of the top players in the world made a serious run this week. The guys at the top of the world rankings are tooling up for The Masters, which places a premium on long driving, high accurate approach shots, and solid putting. Did you seriusly expect them to change their entire game around for one non-major (even if it is a significant) tournament?

Fred Funk has a perfect game for these contitions. That is why is predicted that a player like he or Kenny Perry would contend well this week. But there is a reason why Funk has 7 career wins and Tiger has 42, and you will see why the next time the fairways are even remotely dry.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

BSmack wrote:you will see why the next time the fairways are even remotely dry.
Who will be wearing the green jacket this year?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mr T wrote:
BSmack wrote:you will see why the next time the fairways are even remotely dry.
Who will be wearing the green jacket this year?
The winner of the Masters.

BTW: What exactly is your fucking point?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Fuck if I know, I am just trolling to piss someone off.