2009 WS Call It and in-game thread

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Re: 2009 WS Call It and in-game thread

Post by Rack Fu »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I almost felt sorry for Brad Lidge last night. You could practically see his vagina start to pucker after Damon got on base, and it was all down hill from there. Dude just completely melted down and went away from his bread and butter.
He will probably go into a multi-season meltdown like he did after Pujols hit that 987 ft. home run of him in the '05 NLCS.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Rack Fu wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I almost felt sorry for Brad Lidge last night. You could practically see his vagina start to pucker after Damon got on base, and it was all down hill from there. Dude just completely melted down and went away from his bread and butter.
He will probably go into a multi-season meltdown like he did after Pujols hit that 987 ft. home run of him in the '05 NLCS.

That is honestly the most devastating home run I've ever seen...that thing could gone into orbit if it didn't hit something inside the stadium on the way up. The only difference with last night is that the Phillies aren't going to go on and win the series like the Astros eventually did in the next game.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Shoalzie wrote: The only difference with last night is that the Phillies aren't going to go on and win the series like the Astros eventually did in the next game.
They will win. Lidge has stones and a short memory. I am so assured at this Phillies comeback that I am willing to post a picture of my bare ass in this thread with "Yankees rule" written on my bare ass if the Yankees win. I am that sure. And I will do it unless someone protests against it.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Astro fan is no longer enjoying this thread very much. In fact, almost not at all. None, zero, zilch, nada.

Go Texans!!
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Charlie almost gives away the game with piss-poor managing. Pettitte on 3 games rest? SI writer Heyman reported somewhere that Pettite told Girardi that he has nothing left.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

jiminphilly wrote:Charlie almost gives away the game with piss-poor managing. Pettitte on 3 games rest? SI writer Heyman reported somewhere that Pettite told Girardi that he has nothing left.
Forget all that, if Phillies win game 6, they should seriously consider Lee on TWO days rest... IF they win game 6

If you have ever done a rain dance in your life...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

rozy wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:Charlie almost gives away the game with piss-poor managing. Pettitte on 3 games rest? SI writer Heyman reported somewhere that Pettite told Girardi that he has nothing left.
Forget all that, if Phillies win game 6, they should seriously consider Lee on TWO days rest... IF they win game 6

With the day off, Girardi can reset his bullpen because he'll need it with Pettitte on short rest. Maybe he can get 4 innings out of Pettitte and go to Chamberlain for 2 or 3 and somehow get to Rivera for a 6-out save. The only benefit of Burnett's very short start last night is that can be a bullpen option in these last two games.

I think Manuel has to consider Lee over Hamels...especially with some of things said through the media. Hamels has seemingly quit on this season. You can't throw a guy like that in the biggest game of the season. Manuel can go with a combo platter of Lee, Blanton and maybe Happ for Game 7. Pretty much every pitcher will be in play for him except for Pedro.

The battle for series MVP seems to be pretty cut and dry for the Phillies...Utley has been off the charts. For the Yankees, I think Damon has been their steadiest offensive player but A-Rod doesn't have as many hits in the series but all of his have been very meaningful.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:
rozy wrote:

With the day off, Girardi can reset his bullpen because he'll need it with Pettitte on short rest. Maybe he can get 4 innings out of Pettitte and go to Chamberlain for 2 or 3 and somehow get to Rivera for a 6-out save. The only benefit of Burnett's very short start last night is that can be a bullpen option in these last two games.

I think Manuel has to consider Lee over Hamels...especially with some of things said through the media. Hamels has seemingly quit on this season. You can't throw a guy like that in the biggest game of the season. Manuel can go with a combo platter of Lee, Blanton and maybe Happ for Game 7. Pretty much every pitcher will be in play for him except for Pedro.

The battle for series MVP seems to be pretty cut and dry for the Phillies...Utley has been off the charts. For the Yankees, I think Damon has been their steadiest offensive player but A-Rod doesn't have as many hits in the series but all of his have been very meaningful.
I don't think Burnett can be an option in game 6 since he was already coming off a short rest for game 5. He had nothing last night. He might be good for an inning in the 7th but then again I would suspect every pitcher is available, at least for an inning with the exception of Pedro and Pettitte.

World Series MVP race is between 4-5 guys:

Utley
Rivera
Damon
Lee
A-Rod (outside chance depending on how he does in games 6 and 7)

Lee's numbers would look a lot better had Charlie not started him in the 8th. What the hell was he thinking?
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Shoalz, I agree with almost every word of that with only the additions that if Lee were to win game 7 I would see a co-mvp with him and Utley. Yankees, I go with Rivera.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

rozy wrote:
There's no IF about it. And I was the one who said earlier he will pitch on two days rest.

Schoalzie is even assuming it's going seven now. The guarantee is rock solid.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

rozy wrote:Shoalz, I agree with almost every word of that with only the additions that if Lee were to win game 7 I would see a co-mvp with him and Utley. Yankees, I go with Rivera.

Yeah, hard to deny the MVP to a guy who gets 3 wins in the World Series. And no, I wasn't slighting Lee on purpose... ;)

Rivera has been a key piece to two of those three wins but you don't get to that point in the game without the play of guys like Damon, Jeter or A-Rod. Short of getting four 6-out saves, I don't know how you give a closer the award over some of the offensive performances from the Yankees' bats. Rivera is definitely the one weapon the Phillies don't have...I'll give you that. What he does almost goes unnoticed just because he's been doing this for so long and he's not doing it with triple-digit gas. The guy has made a career out of sawing off hitters.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:
rozy wrote:
There's no IF about it. And I was the one who said earlier he will pitch on two days rest.

Schoalzie is even assuming it's going seven now. The guarantee is rock solid.
It's what I would do, but like you I am just an armchair manager. He will start Hamels with Lee being right there ready to come in at first sign of trouble. Like Beckett in 03 vs. Cubs.

Unless jiminphilly gets a good raindance result... or Manuel shocks the crap out of me...
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

jiminphilly wrote:World Series MVP race is between 4-5 guys:

Utley
Rivera
Damon
Lee
A-Rod (outside chance depending on how he does in games 6 and 7)

If Utley sets a new WS HR record, I'd give it to him regardless of what teams wins.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

I'll go ahead and outline exactly how it will go down tonight. Pedro will pitch 6 + strong, and Pettitte will be knocked out in the 4th and the Yankees will go to long relief. As I said earlier, them hiding the shitty bullpen comes back to bite them, as does this three-man rotation. The story of the night will be how rested Pedro was and how gassed Pettitte was and how the bullpen after him just added to the score. Everyone will focus on Utley but the one who will burn NY will be Ryan Howard, who WILL hit a HR tonight. Remember I said that and remember me when the Phillies are loose and high-fiving each other after going up 2-0 in the first inning, the crowd completely quiet and A-Rod and the Yankees playing on their heels and swinging out of their shoes while gripping the bats so hard that they turn to sawdust. I'm not satisfied on JUST coming through on my guarantee that the Phillies win the WS. I want everyone to see just how dead on and accurate I was in the MANNER in which they roll on to this championship. Pay close attention to the body language of both teams, and you will see a vast difference. I talked about how close and how focused and loose Philly will look, but also check out the Yankees- you will see each player drifting off into his own world, trying to figure out how to do something by themselves OUTSIDE the team concept, and nobody will be talking to each other....just hearts racing and lots of tight throats. No cohesiveness. Remember I said that. Not only are the Phillies more confident and have more heart, but face it they're just a better baseball team.

Some highlights from tonight:

PMartinez 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3ER, 5 K
Pettitte 4 IP, 9 H, 6ER, 3 K
Lidge 1 SV

Howard 2-5 1 HR 2RBI
Ruiz 3-5 1 HR 3 RBI
Victorio 2-4 3 R, 1 RBI

Posada 2-5 1 HR (cosmetic score), 2 RBI
Jeter 1-5, 1 R
Rodriguez 0-4, BB
Matsui 0-5, 2 K
Texiera 0-4, 3 K
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't think you give Matsui enough credit. Everytime I see that dude at bat, he winds up getting on base.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't think you give Matsui enough credit. Everytime I see that dude at bat, he winds up getting on base.

6 out of 10 plate appearances to be exact with 2 home runs...including one off Pete Martinez.

Also, he leaves out Damon with his .381 average and .435 OBP.

I see the Yankee weapons getting loose tonight and they wrap it up. Pettitte doesn't give them more than 5 innings but the bullpen does its job by bridging to Rivera and he closes it with a vintage 6-out save.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:Pettitte doesn't give them more than 5 innings
I am not so sure about about that. The bullpen has been more than shaky (outside of Rivera), to the point where I wouldn't trust them to go 2 innings to get to Rivera for 6 outs.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I'm pretty sure neither starting pitcher will factor into the decision tonight. If the Phillies are going to win tonight they're going to have to put up an 8 or 9 spot and hope to have at least a 3-4 run lead going into the bottom of the 9th.

If the Yanks are ahead by more than 3 in the 8th I don't think you see Rivera until the 9th. Conversely, a lead of 3 or less going into the 8th is an automatic call to Rivera for the close.

I do have confidence that they can get to Pettitte.. the last time he pitched on 3 days rest, he was using PEDs which sped his recovery time. Questions about his ability to come back on 3 days rest weren't made a few years ago and they are now.

Tonight I'll predict

Phillies 8
Yanks 4
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm pulling for the Phills, but I think the Yanks wrap it up tonight. I think both starting pitchers will have pretty strong outings. It's do or die for Pedro, and Pettite wants to close this thing out at Yankee Stadium, which tells me neither pitcher will hold anything back. Pettite will have all off season to rest that arm. I think this game will come down to 1 or 2 clutch hits in the late innings. I'm feeling a solo HR for NY late in the game to take the lead and Rivera will come in to close it out.

4-3 Yanks to finalize it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Pettitte doesn't give them more than 5 innings
I am not so sure about about that. The bullpen has been more than shaky (outside of Rivera), to the point where I wouldn't trust them to go 2 innings to get to Rivera for 6 outs.

Coke, Hughes and Bruney are the main culprits. Chamberlain has thrown okay outside of the big home run by Feliz in Game 4. Marte, Aceves, Robertson and Rivera have each throw at least 2 innings in this series and haven't allowed a run. It'll come down to if Girardi gets to cute with his matchups that burned him in the Angels series on occasion. Like I said, get as much as you can out Pettitte...be it 5 or maybe into the 6th inning and then yank him if he starts to show signs of weakness. I think they have to look at winning tonight and don't hold back and worry about a possible Game 7. With Sabathia going tomorrow, you might not need the bullpen as much as you would tonight.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Matsui. Nails.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Matsui. Nails.
YAFJ's 0-5 prediction is on par with the rest of his post-season predictions.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Matsui: 2-2, 4 RBI's
:lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Godzilla is Pedro's new daddy...
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

How ironic the Yanks had someone named in a steriod report singing the National Anthem.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't know if you can win the MVP because of one game but Matsui is making a run at it...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Rack Fu wrote:Matsui: 2-2, 4 RBI's
And make that 3-3, 6 RBI. Dude is unreal.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:I don't know if you can win the MVP because of one game but Matsui is making a run at it...
He had the game winning RBI in game 2.

I'd be surprised if Matsui won it. Damon would be the best case if the Yankees win. His play in Game 4 changed the course of the series.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:Matsui: 2-2, 4 RBI's
And make that 3-3, 6 RBI. Dude is unreal.
and can't field.. BUT

Rack the Yanks on their victory. They closed it out and they were the better team.

Winter meetings in a month or so.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

:D #27. How SWEET it is......
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Laxplayer wrote::D #27. How SWEET it is......
Wow....throw an obscene amount of money at the best players money can buy, and VOILA! They just bought themselves a World Series title! :meds:

Fuck the Yankees. :brad:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
Frank Rizzo
Yankee Fan

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Paul wrote:
Wow....throw an obscene amount of money at the best players money can buy, and VOILA! They just bought themselves a World Series title! :meds:

NO BITCH.

FUCKK........YOU

YYEAHHHH!H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE DID IT WED DID IT WE DID IT WE DIDI WIT

WEEEEEEEEEEE DID IT

YANKEES WAIN NUMBERA 27 YO

HOLY FUCAKING SHIT I AM GETTING SO DRUANK RIGHT NOW YOU LKIKE THAT BITCH WE AFUFCING DIC IT FURST THE LAKERS NOW THE AYNEKKEES SAME FUCING YEAR

SUCK MAY FUCKING DUCDICK ALL YOU BFAGGOT RED SOX FANS HYEYAHHHH!! YOU SUUUCKKK!!!

YENEKAA

YANKEES A WIN TTHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEESEEESSS WIN!!!!

BLWOWA ME MBITCHES

YEHAHHH!!!
HOW BOUT EHTAM YEANKKKKEEEES :hfal: :hfal: :hfal: :hfal:

EYAHHH!H!!!!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

:mrgreen: Unfortunately, it was a long time coming, at least by Yankee standards.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

congrats to the yanks I guess for avoiding being skunked for a decade a second time since they signed fat drunk guy a few years back.

and rack gotzirra. he was really feeling it last night.

so who got the mvp, anyhoo?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

my vote for mvp goes to dude who signs 208 million dollars worth of checks. wonder if baseball will ever do something about the obscene disparity in payrolls. maybe barry can get his payroll czar on the case.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Toddowen wrote:Still, this has been one of the better postseasons as far as competitive play that I've seen in some while.
I agree there. A great World Series and a potential rematch for 2010.

RACK the Phillies. Great team that will certainly be a World Series contender for years to come.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Obviously you haven't been paying attention for the last 30 years of Yankee history. George has thrown money at big name players that have failed miserably. He has spent tons of jack over the years for nothing. If your formula rings true why didn't they make the playoffs last year? Why haven't they won the series every year? If controlling spending with a salary cap works why are there teams in the NBA and the NFL that have sucked for decades, still suck and will continue to suck? It's not all about spending money.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Laxplayer wrote: It's not all about spending money.
Maybe not, but it sure helps.

Any team that could have bought Sabathia, Texiera and Burnett in the same year would have had a pretty decent chance of going far. Add them to what they Yankmes already had and you get a WS championship.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

No doubt it helps but guys want to win that's why they go to places like NY and not KC. All of these owners are billionaires so they have money. Some choose to spend it on their baseball team and others don't. Some choose to put the luxury tax money back into their team and some don't. The Yankees are all about winning. Nothing else matters. Other teams don't give a crap about winning. Why is that such a bad thing?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Laxplayer wrote: Other teams don't give a crap about winning.
:meds: