Lamb...anyone ever buy Colorado lamb?

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Lamb...anyone ever buy Colorado lamb?

Post by Headhunter »

I went to Emerils in New Orleans several months back and had the lamb chops. Out of this world. Insanely good. Best lamb I've ever eaten. Period! The lamb was much milder than what I was used to, So I inquired about it. I was told that it was because they used Colorado lamb, which has a much less gamey taste than the New Zealand lamb that is prevalent in most grocery stores.

So I looked around and found a specialty grocery store that sells it, and bought an 8 pound bone-in leg for Easter. I'm going to practice what I preached as far as the recipe, but my question is, who has tried both cooking at home?

It's always a bit misleading comparing the quality of meat from a grocery store to a restaraunt, So I wondering if any of you have experience cooking both at home.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Never heard of Colorado lamb. We're having lamb for Easter too, and I may try to find this product somewhere around here.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

If nothing else, I'll report back as to the quality I recieved. It was't too bad either, $5.99 a pound. Paid $44 bucks for around 8 pounds bone in leg. That'll feed a pretty good group!

So far the dinner menu is:

Ham
Lamb
Mashed taters.
Prosciutto ring bread.

I'll round that out with a couple of veggie plates and a salad or two, some french bread for appetizers (along with pesto). Shitty thing is, we're having it at the in-laws who just moved in and they have shit for cooking gadgets when everything is unpacked let alone when some shit is still in boxes. I think I'll pack my stuff and travel with. I guess that's the sign of a true cooking dork. The dude who packs his Knives, Silpat, food processor and stand mixer for vacation.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

mint jelly w/lamb, yes?
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

$44 bucks for a leg of lamb :shock:

Even the most expensive leg of lamb will cost you around $25.00 in Australia

Lamb is one of our family favorites

One of my favorite ways to prep a leg of lamb is to put fresh slices of garlic into slits cut into the leg along with some fresh rosemary then take a nice bottle of Cab sav & pour over the lamb
I usually marinade this way for about 48 hours before cooking turning the lamb every 12 hours
I then slow cook in an oven bag & turn the juices into gravy adding fresh wholegrain mustard to the gravy for a little extra kick

I usually serve with roasted whole baby potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves & pumpkin & fresh steamed green beans

A yummy easy marinade for lamb chops is
fresh crushed garlic
fresh chopped rosemary
Extra virgin greek olive oil
fresh lemon juice
dried oregano, parsley & bay leaf

massage the marinade into lamb either chops or a butterflied leg
then char grill & serve with a sauce made from greek yogurt, fresh garlic lemon juice & fresh mint & a greek salad

heaven
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Missjo (good to see you, BTW), here's a recipe from another thread. the Help-a thread in this forum. Mikey's looks pretty good as well.

It's pretty close to what you are talking about as well.

Ingredients needed:

* 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup dry red wine
* 3 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* One 6-pound leg of lamb, trimmed of fat
* 3 pounds baby potatoes, rinsed well and halved (if larger than 1 1/2-inches in diameter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, red wine and garlic. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to form an emulsion, then whisk in the herbs, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture over the lamb, coating the outside completely. Place the lamb in a large plastic bag and cover with any remaining marinade. Seal the bag, refrigerate and let marinate at least 8 and up to 48 hours, turning the bag occasionally to coat evenly. Cut the baby potatoes and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme, turning to coat evenly.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Place the lamb in a large roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and spread the potatoes evenly around the lamb. Return to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb registers 140°F. for medium-rare, about 1 hour more.

Remove the lamb from the pan and place on a platter to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Return the potatoes to the oven to continue cooking while the meat rests.

Carve the lamb and serve with the hot roasted potatoes.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

missjo wrote:$44 bucks for a leg of lamb

Even the most expensive leg of lamb will cost you around $25.00 in Australia
You mean the cost of living is higher in the US than a third-world country, meaning goods and services cost more?

How can this be?????

:shock:
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Sounds good HH
Except for trimming the fat
it's the fat on the lamb that gives it the best flavour
when you are roasting it
you can carve off the excess fat after cooking before serving

HH if lamb has a "gamey" taste then it's not truly lamb
it's Hogett which is kind of the teenage stage of the sheep which can still be passed off as lamb to unwitting consumers
who don't know that there is a difference

Oh yes & Dickdale, the reason Lamb is relatively cheap here is because Australians are big producers & consumers of lamb
it's one of our major exports
more people live in third world style conditions in the US than the population of Australia
So go suck on a flyblown sheeps balls
I'm sure you'll enjoy them more than the backroom boys asses you usually lick
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

i originally wanted to say was that

i wanna eat dinner at mj's !!!

then i got to the above post :shock:

i'm gonna have to go ahead and RACK missjo

bwaaaaaaaaahahahahaa
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

missjo is a kickass chef!
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

ppanther wrote:missjo is a kickass chef!
The best chefs are usually fat. Wurd.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

missjo wrote: Oh yes & Dickdale, the reason Lamb is relatively cheap here is because Australians are big producers & consumers of lamb
it's one of our major exports
more people live in third world style conditions in the US than the population of Australia
So go suck on a flyblown sheeps balls
I'm sure you'll enjoy them more than the backroom boys asses you usually lick
RACK missjo.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

The verdict?

Worth every fucking penny. Outstanding quality leg of lamb! Fed a party of about 25 people, some of who were not fans of lamb at all. They even liked it. Looks like it's Colorado Lamb from here on out for me.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Colorado lamb is excellent.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"