NFL Uncapped in 2010 and Locked Out afterwards - Thoughts?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

KC Scott

NFL Uncapped in 2010 and Locked Out afterwards - Thoughts?

Post by KC Scott »

Gunny how we haven't had this subject come up in here yet The owners will lock out the players after next season -

I think the owners get some money back this time - the 59% number is absurdly high.
Next year with no cap could be incredibly interesting

Cole makes an interesting point that some of the dreg teams (my Chefs included) though may go the opposite way and go way below on spending since there will be no minimum salary cap.

Do we talk about this now or just enjoy the next two seasons?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: NFL Uncapped in 2010 and Locked Out afterwards - Thoughts?

Post by indyfrisco »

This is why I love college football. No salary cap.

Sin,
U$CFan
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

:lol: :lol:

I would love to see Craig James' answer to a carefully misplaced jibe when commentating on this...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

One of these days both sides will find that they've priced themselves out of the entertainment marketplace.

I'll watch the NFL as long as it's carried on basic cable, but I would never pay a premium to watch a game, much less the price they charge to actually go to one.

If that ever happens in my lifetime I'll be LMFAO.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Agree - I gave up my season tix 4 years ago - (vermeils last season) and haven't regretted it a bit.

It was to the point they were getting tough to give away.

The deal with the Stadium here really pushed me over the edge, though.
Jackson county getting stuck with the Bill was bullshit just like their veiled threats to re-lo the team if the levy didn't pass.

Fuck them.

Back on subject - the whole strike / lockout sickens me, although due to the short length of their careers I'd say the players earn whatever they can get.

The smartest thing the players could do would be to agree to a rookie year one salary cap - One year contract at league avg. for the positoin. Fuck this guaranteed money before the dude ever puts the pads on.

It would also allow the owners to drop their overall % to the players while keeping the salary level for the vets - which the players association should agree to in a heart beat now.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote: The deal with the Stadium here really pushed me over the edge, though.
Jackson county getting stuck with the Bill was bullshit just like their veiled threats to re-lo the team if the levy didn't pass.
Scott, I understand how you feel, but didn't Jackson county put the sales tax measure on the ballot? Who are you mad at?
The smartest thing the players could do would be to agree to a rookie year one salary cap - One year contract at league avg. for the positoin. Fuck this guaranteed money before the dude ever puts the pads on.
Yep, and fuck this "slotting" process where a draft pick holds out until the next player signed in front of him gets whatever obscene signing bonus so he can then line up for his payday. That gravy train needs to go away.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

War Wagon wrote: Scott, I understand how you feel, but didn't Jackson county put the sales tax measure on the ballot? Who are you mad at?
It was a combination of the Jackson county Sports Authority and the Chiefs who strong armed the vote.
This was at the same time the Royals were contemplating building the stadium downtown.

The Chiefs pushed the state legisaltion and they said go fuck yourself - so it came back on Jax county. T
In the process while they were pushing to get the vote they dropped veil threats that the Chefs might build bext to the Speedway (gasp!) or even worse relo to OK City or wherever the fuck. Of course the citizens of Jax, being the buch of ignorant hicks they are, bought Peterson's bullshit hook line and sinker and we signed on for $400 Million in stadium renovations when teachers are getting laid off and the Independence cops can't get a COL raise. thee county couldn't even get Clay or Platte to chip in (Not that I blame them) and of course our KS neighbors said fuck you too.

Then I look at Dallas and see Jerrah fund the Taj Mahal of Arenas on his own dime - and the folks who are paying for it? - The Season ticket holders and investors.

I lost a shitload of respect for the Hunts over that
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

The Royals never wanted a downtown stadium, and wouldn't have had any say in it even if they did. That was a KK personal crusade, which he lost badly on. That guy is the single largest buffoon in KC history over that.

As for the stadium improvements... (verrah nice, btw)

Clay, Platte, Wyandotte, and Johnson counties weren't about to be suckered into another bi-state tax that primarily benefitted Jackson county coffers.

We love you guys anyways. Most of us work there and do drop a few dimes on that sales tax.

Not to mention the City of Kansas City (you know...that place where I live and you don't... ain't it sumting to have a city that spans a river and 3 counties?) paying $2 mil a year for stadium upkeep.

Quit yer whining and appreciate the jewell that is the Truman Sports Complex
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

This.....
War Wagon wrote: As for the stadium improvements... (verrah nice, btw)
Then This........
War Wagon wrote: Clay, Platte, Wyandotte, and Johnson counties weren't about to be suckered into another bi-state tax that primarily benefitted Jackson county coffers.
Enjoy
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

War Wagon wrote: We love you guys anyways. Most of us work there and do drop a few dimes on that sales tax.

Not to mention the City of Kansas City (you know...that place where I live and you don't... ain't it sumting to have a city that spans a river and 3 counties?) paying $2 mil a year for stadium upkeep.
What, you mean the same city whose POS excuse for a mayor (that's decidedly ANTI-SPORTS of any kind) is trying his damndest to reneg on the $2 million stadium upkeep contract??? :meds:
Quit yer whining and appreciate the jewell that is the Truman Sports Complex
That "jewel" you speak of will be fucking OUTDATED in 10 years, and the money that Scott and I helped fund the fucking "renovations" could've easily built NEW stadiums. Like Scott said, the teams scared Jackson Co. taxpayers into thinking that they would both leave if they didn't pass that vote. :x
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Scott wrote:The smartest thing the players could do would be to agree to a rookie year one salary cap - One year contract at league avg. for the positoin. Fuck this guaranteed money before the dude ever puts the pads on.

It would also allow the owners to drop their overall % to the players while keeping the salary level for the vets - which the players association should agree to in a heart beat now.
I agree.

I don't expect the players association to be smart and do what you are saying, however.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:
Scott wrote:The smartest thing the players could do would be to agree to a rookie year one salary cap - One year contract at league avg. for the positoin. Fuck this guaranteed money before the dude ever puts the pads on.

I agree.

I don't expect the players association to be smart and do what you are saying, however.
Of course not. Their agents would never allow it.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

"Agree - I gave up my season tix 4 years ago - (vermeils last season) and haven't regretted it a bit.

It was to the point they were getting tough to give away."

Concur,

Donkfan
Raiduhfan
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Big leak by Jerrah Here that is going to cost his 6 figures:
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has fined Cowboys owner Jerry Jones a six-figure amount for violating a gag order on collective bargaining issues when stating on Sept. 4 that revenue sharing is "on its way out," according to an ESPN.com report.
Jones made the comment during an interview in support of Vikings owner Zygi Wilf's effort to build a new stadium
If that's true and that's he means revenue sharing between the teams, it would be the single biggest strategy fuck up in the history of sports. Part of why NFL is the most popular sport in America is beacuse the competitive balance insures that unless your run by a complete clusterfuck ('sup, Chefs, Raiduhs, Beengals) you have a decent chance of fielding a competitive team within a couple seasons. It would also pretty much doom the small market teams - just like MLB - to fighting for scraps every season.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Papa Willie wrote:I think they need the cap. Obviously the ones that get most of the TV money will do great - Both NY teams, the Pats, and the Cowboys. Nobody else will matter.
It's not just the TV money - that will always be shared as the Contract is with the league - not individiual teams (AKA Notre Dame). It's the sharing on Advertising (Gatorade, Coke) NFL properties, Stadium revenues (visitors gate), Internet and everything with a Logo stamped on it.
But that is still a huge chunk of coin.

Right now the only thing the teams get 100% on is in stadium advertising - Like Jerrah did in Dallas with Pepsi which the league fucking hated.

I'd add to your list - The Bears, Eagles, Redskins and possibly 49ers
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote: If that's true and that's he means revenue sharing between the teams, it would be the single biggest strategy fuck up in the history of sports.
No doubt it would be catastrophic for the small market teams, who probably couldn't even afford the current salary cap w/o revenue sharing.

Jerrah needs to check himself and not bite the hand that feeds him.