Are you worried, PSU?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Are you worried, PSU?

Post by Go Coogs' »

The Nittany Lions don't leave University Park to play their four non-conference games and they get OSU there as well. They have a puncher's chance of going 12-0. If you're a BCS computer and/or coach, can you seriously vote PSU ahead of a one-loss Texas, OU, USC, or Ole Miss?
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: Are you worried, PSU?

Post by TheJON »

Is this some sort of joke?

You realize not one single team has played a game, right?

What a stupid thread.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

TheJON wrote:You realize not one single team has played a game, right?

What a stupid thread.
Hey dumbfuck, this is a message board. A place where opinions are formed, discussed and debated. Not only that, but some of those opinions include predictions and foresight. Tell me you knew.

Looks like mtool is really gonna have to step it up this year to retain his Board Bitch status.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I think PSU is going to drop a game or two. I read recently they have the fewest returning starters in the Big Ten. I think it was 10? I know they're solid at some of the key positions, but still, I'm not sure that can be overlooked.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

I see PSU struggling with the upcoming season. The main reason for this being the controversy surrounding Joe Pa and his long lost illegitimate spawn:

Image Image
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Go Coogs' wrote:
TheJON wrote:You realize not one single team has played a game, right?

What a stupid thread.
Hey dumbfuck, this is a message board. A place where opinions are formed, discussed and debated. Not only that, but some of those opinions include predictions and foresight. Tell me you knew.

Looks like mtool is really gonna have to step it up this year to retain his Board Bitch status.
You create a stupid fucking hypothetical thread before any games have even been played, especially considering the team in question likely won't even come close to going undefeated and who knows if all those other teams you mentioned will have 1 loss, no losses, 10 losses, etc....

It's retarded. Just fucking admit that. Hey, shit happens man. No need to get pissy about it. You created a ridiculous thread and so you should expect to be ripped for it. Come on........."what if PSU goes unbeaten and there's like 18 million 1 loss teams that have a better resume?". The season hasn't even fucking started and we already have to read this kinda garbage. Come on dude, don't be so fucking lame. That's all I'm saying.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

God forbid somebody try to talk some football instead of the worthless garbage you just spewed.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

PSU will be ranked high enough to start the year that if they go undefeated they will be playing for the National Championship.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Last I checked, Iowa hasn't played a game yet this season either, yet Jon's had no problem with making various predictions about how they'll do this season; up to and including their final record and their bowl game locale.

Mgo, from this schedule, who do you see beating PSU?

Sept. 05 - Akron
Sept. 12 - Syracuse
Sept. 19 - Temple
Sept. 26 - Iowa
Oct. 03 - at Illinois
Oct. 10 - Eastern Illinois
Oct. 17 - Minnesota
Oct. 24 - at Michigan
Oct. 31 - at Northwestern
Nov. 07 - Ohio State
Nov. 14 - Indiana
Nov. 21 - at Michigan State

I only see two halfway losable games on that schedule: hosting OSU, and going to your place.

They're not losing to Iowa; not this year, not at home.

Oh, okay, I suppose @Illinois is halfway losable too. @Michigan would obviously be a bitch, most years, but not this year.

Seems to me that if they beat Illinois, their entire season will come down to one game: the OSU game, at home. If they win that game, they're undefeated when they play you in the final game of the season. They're not going to lose then, not if they have a perfect season on the line.

Short of injuries, they seem to have a one game season, provided they beat Illinois. Beating Illinois isn't exactly a tall order, not for a team with any national aspirations.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

They're not losing to Iowa; not this year, not at home.
Why aren't they?

Why does Iowa NOT match up well with them? Is Happy Valley too difficult of a place for Iowa to play even though we've lost their just once since 1994?

Did Iowa have no shot last year against Penn State?

What does Penn State have that Iowa doesn't?

You keep saying Iowa has no shot in this yet I have yet to get an explanation other than what we all know.......I piss you off because I shoot down your stupid arguments, so no way will Jon's team beat Penn State. Nice reasoning dude.

Iowa matches up very well with Penn State and this is a team we've had a lot of success against for a long time.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MuchoBulls wrote:PSU will be ranked high enough to start the year that if they go undefeated they will be playing for the National Championship.
Only if everyone else steps aside.

Florida, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Texas, OU, Va Tech, USC and probably even Cal and Oregon will get in ahead of PSU, with equal records.

Hell, just make it any SEC team, any Big XII team, any Pac 10 team or any ACC team. If anybody from any of those conferences runs the table, they're getting in ahead of PSU.

From that group, I could even envision scenarios where a one loss OU, Texas or Florida would get in over an undefeated PSU, especially if USC again dismantles OSU; thus removing PSU's only opportunity at a real 'quality win'.

In order for PSU to get in with that schedule, and with the stigma rightfully attached of late to the Big 10, they're going to need everyone to graciously step aside. They're simply not going to be able to get in on merit, not in any equal record arguments. They also have the issue of being off the radar at the end of the season, due to the Big 10's early end to their season.

PSU needs to hope like fiends for Florida, USC and the Big XII winner to lose somewhere, otherwise they have absolutely no shot.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Ok, I will bite.......

Sept. 05 - Akron should be easy win
Sept. 12 - Syracuse should be easy win
Sept. 19 - Temple should be easy win
Sept. 26 - Iowa toss-up
Oct. 03 - at Illinois toss-up
Oct. 10 - Eastern Illinois should be a win, but probably closer than it should be as is the case many times with teams stepping OOC to play a shit team in the middle of conference play.
Oct. 17 - Minnesota should win by 10-14 points
Oct. 24 - at Michigan toss-up
Oct. 31 - at Northwestern could be a trap game.......very well could lose to an inferior opponent
Nov. 07 - Ohio State toss-up, though I would lean towards tOSU
Nov. 14 - Indiana should win, but in between 2 big games so it could be closer than expected
Nov. 21 - at Michigan State toss-up, just depends which team is playing better at the end of the season

Realistically, Penn State is looking at 10-2 at the very best with 9-3 or 8-4 more likely. They've got a couple of trap games in there and they have a lot of inexperience at some key spots. They'll be a good team though. I just don't see how anyone could be predicting them to go undefeated. That's a bit silly. Which is why I think the poster of this thread needs to just admit how silly it is to start a hypothetical discussion about a team that is very unlikely to pull that off anyways. Even if Penn State had a good shot to run the table, it's crazy to start suggesting hypotheticals before anyone has even played a game. It's silly. It's dumb. It's not creative and the original poster needs to just admit to it.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Van, most of the teams you mentioned play one another during the season, so that helps PSU. I do agree that there would be certain teams with undefeated records will get in over PSU (UF, Texas, USC, OU being on the very short list).
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

MuchoBulls wrote:Van, most of the teams you mentioned play one another during the season, so that helps PSU. I do agree that there would be certain teams with undefeated records will get in over PSU (UF, Texas, USC, OU being on the very short list).
What if the Big-10 surprises everyone and ends up being a better conference than expected and PSU goes unbeaten (they won't)? See, this is my whole point. It's silly to even discuss a hypothetical scenario that most likely won't even happen and even if it does we don't know how well respected the Big-10 will be so how can we even discuss whether or not an undefeated PSU would get jumped by a 1 loss team from another conference? Predictions are great, but silly hypotheticals like this- to me - is simply pointless.

What if Screw_Michigan wasn't retarded? Would he ever get laid or would all the women be taken up by other dudes? How are we supposed to know? We'd never know if he would look normal, act normal, talk normal, etc...... It would have to happen before we could seriously discuss it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mucho, the obvious question: Who will hand Florida a loss, and who will hand the Big XII winner a loss?

Florida's only 'losable' games are the Cocktail Party, where they'll still be heavily favored, plus the SEC Conference Money Grab Game, where they will also be heavily favored. Florida St, at home, that's their only other game that's somewhat 'losable', barely, unless you consider LSU traveling to The Swamp with a rookie QB some sort of scary proposition.

I don't. I don't see LSU being able to score more than 14 points in that one, and I could easily see them struggling to even score 10.

The Big XII winner? Other than OU, who's going to beat Texas, on that schedule? Who's going to beat OU, other than Texas?

If USC beats OSU, and that's a BIG 'if', then they're going undefeated, with the trip to Eugene being their major hurdle. Cal's only chance at beating USC is if USC is either injured or already out of the national title hunt. If USC is undefeated when they play Cal then I'd bet my house against m2's fictional real estate portfolio that USC goes into Berkeley and rolls the gutless Bears.

Same deal, with ND. No way in hell Charle Weis knocks off Pete Carroll, not if USC goes into that one undefeated.

Va Tech will get in ahead of everybody but USC, the Big XII winner and the SEC winner, if they're all undefeated. Va Tech will get a big boost if they open up the season in Atlanta by beating Bama. Then they'll have a couple 'name' games throughout the rest of the season, and those games will gain a lot more national exposure as long as Va Tech remains undefeated.

Then they have a CCG, providing them further exposure, which PSU won't enjoy.

PSU can get in, but at the very least it'll be contingent on Florida and the Big XII winner somehow finding very bad losses somewhere. I wouldn't bet on Florida losing a game this season; certainly not during the regular season. If OU beats Texas, I just don't see where they're finding a loss either; and vice versa.

Florida, though, woo, they seem like as close to a mortal lock to get into the title game as we've seen in recent memory.

It just seems like PSU is bound to get nudged aside. They'll need a perfect storm to get in, and they're not that great anyway. Based on last year, and who they lost coming into this year, they don't look anything like a national title team, and going 12-0 with that schedule isn't likely to convince too many folks otherwise.

Compare them to Florida, and it's not even worth the discussion.

All of this is assuming no major injuries, of course. Toss in some key injuries, and all bets are off.
Last edited by Van on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

You realize predicting games at this time of the year is all one big hypothetical, right?

You are the master at talking out of both sides of your mouth. Fuck, your new handle should be TheCarlySimon.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Killian wrote:You realize predicting games at this time of the year is all one big hypothetical, right?

You are the master at talking out of both sides of your mouth. Fuck, your new handle should be TheCarlySimon.
Predictions are not silly hypotheticals, though. They're good discussion. What IF's are generally a complete waste of time and pointless.

Hey, if you guys wanna start the "what if x-team goes unbeaten and then there are 6,098 other unbeatens, it will be mass fucking chaos in the BCS", go right ahead. Me, I will just laugh at those that do.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Florida's only 'losable' games are the Cocktail Party, where they'll still be heavily favored
Stanford in 2007 thinks you're fucking retarded.
The Big XII winner? Other than OU, who's going to beat Texas, on that schedule? Who's going to beat OU, other than Texas?
Oklahoma State also thinks you're fucking retarded.
Same deal, with ND. No way in hell Charle Weis knocks off Pete Carroll, not if USC goes into that one undefeated.
Right, because USC would never lose a game they're not supposed to when undefeated under Pete Carroll (sincerely Oregon State, Cal, and Stanford)
It just seems like PSU is bound to get nudged aside. They'll need a perfect storm to get in, and they're not that great anyway.
If they're "not that great anyway", why are you even having this discussion?? God damn you're stupid. You think a "not that great anyways" team is going to run the fucking table in a BCS conference? Your stupidity amazes the shit out of me.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

There isn't a lot of gray area in any of these hypotheticals. They're all pretty cut and dried.

If Florida and the Big XII winner run the table, they're in, period, with ONLY USC possibly having any opportunity to nudge one of them aside.

If PSU runs the table, but so do these other teams, PSU is out. Nothing hypothetical there. They're out. They will have zero opportunity to leapfrog an undefeated Florida, USC or OU/Texas. I'd probably include Va Tech there too. PSU will not be able to stay ahead of an undefeated Va Tech, nor will they be able to stay ahead of an undefeated Bama or LSU.

Nothing hypothetical there at all. This is how these things work these days.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Van, UF plays LSU in Baton Rouge this season. It will still be difficult for LSU to win, but being at home is a big advantage for them, such as the last time the 2 teams played in Baton Rouge. UF could end up seeing Ole Miss in the SEC title game and they proved that they can beat UF.

Oklahoma State could cause a ruckus in the Big XII this season. They barely lost to Texas on the road last season.

VT could have a loss in week one, and with the way the ACC was last season, they could see more than just one.

The USC-Oregon winner could end up going undefeated, provided Oregon beats Boise State.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

My mistake, Mucho. So, with that game being in Death Valley, okay, Florida wins 24-14 instead of 34-10.

:D

Otherwise, yep, it's basically the SECCG, or nothing. That's the only time all season when they'll face either Bama or Ole Miss. Thing is, if Florida is undefeated heading into that game, forget about it. They aren't losing to Ole Miss again, not that late in the season, with all the marbles riding on it. They're not losing to Bama and their rookie QB either.

The only way they lose a game of that magnitude that late in the season would be if a USC-Stanford thing happens: injuries. I've already allowed for the fact that key injuries could make all these discussions moot.

The flip side of that is that just as there's no chance in hell USC loses to Stanford without those key injuries, there's also no chance in hell Florida loses to Ole Miss in the SECCG, minus any key injuries. Ole Miss isn't about to catch them flat footed twice, not when Florida would be on the brink of making history.

(Edit: Okie St doesn't even count. They lost their bowl game...to a Pac 10 team! :mrgreen: )

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:Mgo, from this schedule, who do you see beating PSU?

Sept. 05 - Akron
Sept. 12 - Syracuse
Sept. 19 - Temple
Sept. 26 - Iowa
Oct. 03 - at Illinois
Oct. 17 - Minnesota
Oct. 24 - at Michigan
Oct. 31 - at Northwestern
Nov. 07 - Ohio State
Nov. 14 - Indiana
Nov. 21 - at Michigan State
Iowa, @ Illinois, OSU, @ MSU

Those are all loseable games. Like I said, one loss, maybe two. I think that's pretty reasonable. PSU will be good, but this isn't some unbeatable juggernaut, not with 10 returning starters. And they are not quite at the "reloading" caliber of a USC or Florida.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

The flip side of that is that just as there's no chance in hell USC loses to Stanford without those key injuries
You're blaming injuries for losing to one of the worst teams in college football? I mean, are you fucking kidding me??

It couldn't possibly be your coach not having your team mentally prepared for the game, now could it?

What a stupid fucking argument. USC doesn't lose to Stanford because of injuries. They didn't lose to Oregon State because they played on a Thursday night. They lost those games because your coach didn't have them ready to play. Period. End of story. Quit with the lame excuses. If Stanford had any talent at all or was at least remotely decent, then maybe you can use the injuries as an excuse. But they were one of the worst teams in the country and unless you lost all 44 players from your 2 deeps due to injury, there is NO excuse for losing that game. Now shut the fuck up.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Iowa, @ Illinois, OSU, @ MSU

Those are all loseable games. Like I said, one loss, maybe two. I think that's pretty reasonable. PSU will be good, but this isn't some unbeatable juggernaut, not with 10 returning starters. And they are not quite at the "reloading" caliber of a USC or Florida.
You'll have to excuse Vag, he doesn't know a god damn thing about Penn State or any of the teams on their schedule. He's just a fucktard that comes on here spewing garbage football takes and bases his shitty arguments on whether or not the team in question is a team supported by one of the posters that owns his sorry and pathetic ass on this board.

Literally, that is how he bases his arguments. Need proof of that? Read all of his predictions about the upcoming season. He's a tard with pathetic takes and pretends to ignore me even though we ALL know he reads my posts more than anyone's. That's what a bitch does.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Van wrote:Last I checked, Iowa hasn't played a game yet this season either, yet Jon's had no problem with making various predictions about how they'll do this season; up to and including their final record and their bowl game locale.

Mgo, from this schedule, who do you see beating PSU?

Sept. 05 - Akron
Sept. 12 - Syracuse
Sept. 19 - Temple
Sept. 26 - Iowa
Oct. 03 - at Illinois
pretty pathetic,
greg robinson's recruits and EIU?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I am very hopeful this summer. I think it could be a nice season. I think we'll probably lose two games and win a decent bowl game. Like I said in the last thread about PSU's OOC this year, I think it sucks and potentially could cost them.

I definitely think Royster will have a big year.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.