Buehrle Threw Perfect Game

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Buehrle Threw Perfect Game

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Mark Buehrle is the freakin' man. Throws strikes, pitches to contact, works fast, gets outs. The recipe for success.

Can you hear that, Shoalz? That's the Tigers blowing the division lead and missing the playoffs.

You realize the Tigers have lost the last two games by 2-1 scores, right? I think their post-All Star Game ERA is probably under 3.00 but they're now 1-5. Pitching isn't the Tigers problem...they can't hit or drive in runs. They're probably hitting collectively below the Mendoza line in these 6 games. This team will definitely not win the division with the current roster. I'm still confident in their pitching staff but this lineup is abysmal. I want Matt Holliday or Aubrey Huff...get it done, Dumbo!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Seriously, those fuckers have had one weak outing from their starters and are 1-5.

Recap:

French - 1 ER, loss
Verlander - 2 ERs, loss
Jackson - 2 ERs, loss
Porcello - 5 ER, win
Galarraga - 0 ER, loss
French - 2 ER, loss

JFC, the only guy to give up more than two runs has the only win since the break.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Meh, Zack Greinke is the best pitcher in the league. No one has worse defense behind him and few are getting less run production. He's turning in one of the best seasons any pitcher has had this decade and the Royals are just 10-9 in his starts. Just fucking pathetic.

Buehrle gets a HR robbed today. Zack just wishes one of his infielders could field a routine groundball!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Put Greinke on a real team, with playoff pressure, and we'll see if he's the best.

One nice season doesn't suddenly make you the best pitcher in baseball.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Can you hear that, Shoalz? That's the Tigers blowing the division lead and missing the playoffs.

Maybe I need my hearing checked... :hfal:
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Put Greinke on a real team, with playoff pressure, and we'll see if he's the best.

One nice season doesn't suddenly make you the best pitcher in baseball.
1 nice season??? You realize Zack had a better year in basically every category than Buehrle last year too, right?

Zack is 25. This will be the 4th time in his career he will finish a season with an ERA under 4. Got news for you, but not a lot of starting pitchers put up 4 years of sub-4 ERA's by the age of 25.

He has a 2.04 ERA. If he had a defense that could actually field routine balls, he'd have an ERA much lower. Buehrle doesn't have even close to the stuff Zack does. Not only does Zack strike out a crap load more batters than him, he also gives up a TON less HR's and has just as good of control.

He's a power pitcher with a nasty breaking ball and can command his pitches like a guy throwing an 89 MPH fastball.

He's putting up 1 of the best seasons ANY pitcher has had this decade and the Royals are 10-10 in his starts. Not even 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001% of that is his fault.

That crap about Zack not proving he can handle pressure......... dude had to come back from social anxiety, move to the bullpen, return to the rotation and prove he wasn't a bust after being a Top 5 pick. Dude's handled pressure very well. No more quitting baseball, no more mental issues. He's matured. Besides, the kid is completely oblivious to his surroundings. He wouldn't even know he's in a pressure situation. When he steps out onto the mound, he is locked in. Never seen a guy zone things out like he does on the mound. People that question if he can pitch in the clutch outside of KC don't know a god damn thing about the kid. It's an assumption.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:If he had a defense that could actually field routine balls, he'd have an ERA much lower.
Well, probably not, since runs resulting from errors don't count against your ERA.
Zack is 25. This will be the 4th time in his career he will finish a season with an ERA under 4. Got news for you, but not a lot of starting pitchers put up 4 years of sub-4 ERA's by the age of 25.
He hasn't accomplished what Buehrle has. If he's not the best pitcher in his division, how can he be the best pitcher in baseball?
People that question if he can pitch in the clutch outside of KC don't know a god damn thing about the kid. It's an assumption.
His team is 20 games under .500 and in last place, as usual. When is he pitching in the clutch??? Seems to me it's an assumption he can pitch in the clutch.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Well, probably not, since runs resulting from errors don't count against your ERA.
You think every poor defensive play is called an error??????? Hahahahaha! Watch some Royals game and you'll realize what I'm talking about....... (hint: routine flyballs that don't touch the outfielders/infielders glove are NOT errors)
He hasn't accomplished what Buehrle has. If he's not the best pitcher in his division, how can he be the best pitcher in baseball?
He hasn't accomplished what Buehrle has? Well, I suppose if you are talking strictly about longevity. Let's see here......lower ERA, more CG's, lower opponent OBP, lower WHIP, more K's, fewer HR's........2 years in a row. Yep, poor Zack just doesn't have Buehrle's game.
His team is 20 games under .500 and in last place, as usual. When is he pitching in the clutch??? Seems to me it's an assumption he can pitch in the clutch.
Yeah, cuz it's Zack's fault we're in last place and all............ :meds:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You think every poor defensive play is called an error??????? Hahahahaha! Watch some Royals game and you'll realize what I'm talking about....... (hint: routine flyballs that don't touch the outfielders/infielders glove are NOT errors)
How many times, really, have the Royals flat out not even touched the ball on a "routine" pop up? Has it really happened to the point it put a sizeable dent in Greinke's ERA? :meds:

Sorry, but I don't believe you.
Yeah, cuz it's Zack's fault we're in last place and all............
Good god, how did you come up with that take, based on what I said? Of course it's not Greinke's fault KC sucks. All I'm saying is you can't evaluate his clutchness when... he hasn't been in any clutch situations. And please save me your coming-back-from-anxiety takes, and get back to me when he pitches in a meaningful game.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

How many times, really, have the Royals flat out not even touched the ball on a "routine" pop up? Has it really happened to the point it put a sizeable dent in Greinke's ERA?

Sorry, but I don't believe you.
Believe what you want. But if you actually watched Royals games, you would be saying "holy fuck, how does ANYONE pitch there?".

Yes, mistakes in the field have cost the Royals pitchers a lot of runs. At virtually every position, we have a player with limited range. Jose Guillen is the slowest fuck EVER in the right field. Callaspo is the slowest infielder EVER. We have limited range at shortstop. With Crisp out, we've had problems fielding in center because Mitch Maier (who is a decent athlete) takes HORRIBLE angles at balls. And then you have to understand that Miguel Olivo cannot prevent a god damn ball in the dirt to go to the backstop. I can't even begin to tell you how many times Olivo has allowed a baserunner to advance to scoring position or 3rd base with 1 out because he doesn't know how to block a ball in the dirt. Those are called wild pitches because they were in the dirt, and many of them most definitely should have been blocked and not gone to the backstop.

This is the worst defensive team I have EVER seen. This is not a bad defensive team for a big league squad. They are a bad College defense and that is absolutely not a joke in any way.

Watch a few Royals games. Watch this team give Zack absolutely no run support, make horrible plays for him in the field, and watch him get a loss when he completely dominated the opponent.

And even if you choose to not believe that (and you're dead wrong).........

Zack has better numbers in EVERY statistical category except wins and wins are the most worthless stat in baseball for a pitcher.

When Buehrle gets his ERA within a full point of Zack, then maybe we can have this argument.

Put quite simply........if you think Mark Buehrle is as good or better than Zack Greinke you don't know a damn thing about baseball. This isn't even debatable. It's not even close. Buehrle couldn't hold Zack's jockstrap.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Gotta bump this quote! :D