"I was unaware of a change in the rules"

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

"I was unaware of a change in the rules"

Post by War Wagon »

Derek Jeter, after having been told by the ump that he was out because the ball beat him to the bag. Nevermind that it wasn't a force play and the tag was missed. You're out because the ump anticipated that you were going to be out.

Alrighty then. Happens everyday. The "tag" is just a perfunctory gesture. Once in awhile you'll see an ump call a runner safe if the tag was missed, but not often. The exceptiom being at Home Plate. They tend to look closer before making that call and don't miss it often.

If the ball beats you to the bag, you're out. While not in the rulebook, it's an unwritten rule that I don't have much problem with. You should be out, therefore, you ARE out.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Re: "I was unaware of a change in the rules"

Post by jiminphilly »

Wags what play do you speak of?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

jiminphilly wrote:Wags what play do you speak of?
Saw it last night on Baseball Tonight.

Jeter slides into 3rd headfirst, the tag was clearly missed, yet he got called out.

Surprised you didn't see it. Yankme manager got runned arguing the call... but more for the explanation that the ball had beat him to the bag.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

War Wagon wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:Wags what play do you speak of?
Saw it last night on Baseball Tonight.

Jeter slides into 3rd headfirst, the tag was clearly missed, yet he got called out.

Surprised you didn't see it. Yankme manager got runned arguing the call... but more for the explanation that the ball had beat him to the bag.

I did see it- just like players have mid-season slumps, so do the umps.. I've seen more bad calls in the past 2-3 weeks (balls and strikes, plays at the plate etc..) than I have all year.