9.9 Earthquake in LA!!!

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

RJ
Elwood

9.9 Earthquake in LA!!!

Post by RJ »

710ESPN.com, LA daily news, and cbssports online are reporting within the last hour that Ron Artest's agent has confirmed that he will sign with The Lake Show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679
Ron Artest has told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com that he will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I'm definitely going to L.A. -- to sign, yeah," Artest said in a phone interview. "Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. I'm in L.A. right now."

Artest said he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday and previously had spoken with Lakers coach Phil Jackson. He was en route to his financial manager's office, where he planned to huddle on the phone with his agent, David Bauman, to finalize details.

The parameters of the deal still need to be agreed upon, however.

"I don't really care about the money," Artest said. "I'll play there for nothing. ... L.A. was very interested in me, and they got me

:twisted:

MUTHAFUCKIN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Back. 2. Back. Bitches.

This isnt just sick, this is 72 win Bulls SICKNESS.

Its needs to be said again-Jerry Buss is far and away the best fucking owner in ALL of pro sports. Period.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Re: 9.9 Earthquake in LA!!!

Post by Sirfindafold »

Before free agency started, I figured Ariza wouldn't get big money because of these guys:

Travis Knight
Tyronn Lue
Derek Fisher
Ronny Turiaf
Devean George

These guys had some success with the Lakers in recent years, signed big free agent contracts with other clubs, then essentially became busts.

Look for Ariza to become part of that above list with the injury riddled Rockets.

Los Angeles Lakers - 2010 NBA Champs.

Props again to Jerry Buss - the mini-Hef.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Sirfindafold wrote:Before free agency started, I figured Ariza wouldn't get big money because of these guys:

Travis Knight
Tyronn Lue
Derek Fisher
Ronny Turiaf
Devean George

These guys had some success with the Lakers in recent years, signed big free agent contracts with other clubs, then essentially became busts.

There's that, but mostly his vein riddled dildo of an agent tried to strongarm the front office Scott Boras style only to get stomped the fuck out:
Lakers look to Artest to fill dramatic role
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Kobe Bryant always admired that Ron Artest never acted like he wanted an autograph when duty demanded that he defend him. He loved that Artest was combustible and crazy and always left people wondering: Is this the moment when Ron-Ron loses his mind again, when all hell breaks loose?

Deep down, Bryant wanted Artest on his side. Artest gives a thirtysomething Kobe what Dennis Rodman gave a thirtysomething Michael Jordan: A belligerent, tough guy bearing the burden of protecting the superstar’s back.

And as far back as the Western Conference playoffs, the Lakers believed Artest wanted to trade Houston for Hollywood, that the Rockets’ decaying cornerstone of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady turned that team into a temporary rehab assignment.

“If they couldn’t get Trevor [Ariza] cheap,” said a source with knowledge of the Lakers’ free-agent plans, “they had Ron in their back pocket.”

Change is good for a defending champion. When the rest of the NBA’s elite – Cleveland, Orlando and Boston are getting better – the champion can’t just stand pat. As an executive and a player chasing repeat titles, Detroit’s Joe Dumars says, “I like to make one significant change in that second year.”

This gives the Lakers something to incorporate, to work through, across a long training camp and regular season. This way, they aren’t tempted to just coast until the playoffs. This changes the dynamic for everyone, and give Artest this: Around him, there’s never complacency.

Bryant never campaigned for Artest over Ariza, his loyalty with the hot-shooting kid who helped him win a championship without Shaquille O’Neal. In the long run, the Lakers were wiser to keep the young Ariza to transition into a post-Kobe stardom. Yet, general manager Mitch Kupchak barely blinked when Ariza’s agent, David Lee, started talking like a tough guy, parading his client on what one rival GM called “a leverage tour.”

The Lakers don’t believe he’ll leave, Lee kept barking. Surprise, surprise: Lee didn’t think the Lakers would tell him to get lost, sign Artest and leave Ariza to take the five-year, $33 million deal in Houston he could’ve had in L.A.

“I told Mitch that it was never about the money; it was about respect,” Lee told NBA.com.

Well, take your respect and pack your client’s bags for post-Yao lottery land in Houston. Respect? Yes, there are American soldiers and missionaries in faraway lands cheering for David Lee and this noble stand for the neglected and disenfranchised everywhere. It is about respect, and God knows a $33 million offer for Ariza’s eight points and four rebounds a game rates a disgraceful act.

No, this wasn’t about the money, nor his client’s needs. This was a failed power play, an embarrassment of the highest order. Looking back, Ariza will rue the day. He’s a good player, but he’ll never be a star elsewhere. He’ll just be another player on another team.

“He was way too emotional about this,” said a league executive who had talked to Lee in recent days.

Yet, you can be a star without being a star with the Lakers. When L.A. is winning championships, the role players become commodities. They get endorsements. They get television careers. Ask Rick Fox. Or Derek Fisher. Ariza was an L.A. kid living a dream, 24 years old, a gifted, young talent on the defending champion, and his agent’s bluff backfired.

Now, Artest trades places with Ariza, and the Lakers get a dimension they haven’t had in a long, long time. Perhaps three or four years ago, Artest couldn’t have handled living and playing in L.A. He gives the Lakers sheer nastiness, and as an executive with one of his past teams said Thursday night, “Ronnie will show everyone that he can win. I think he’s matured, and overall, he’ll be on his best behavior. Phil [Jackson] has been through this before with Rodman. He’ll handle this.”

Ultimately, it wasn’t Jackson who made it work for two titles with Rodman in Chicago, but Jordan. The locker room is policed by the superstar, never the coach. Artest is the right player, right time for Bryant. As Kobe hits his 30s, he can’t be chasing the best player on defense every night. Now, Artest gets the job. What’s more, Kobe gets a maniac who will want to please him, get his approval. Anything is possible with Ron-Ron running roughshod in Los Angeles.

“I hope it’s chaos,” a Western Conference GM texted Thursday night.

And maybe, in some ways, that won’t be the worst thing in the world for the Lakers.

Chaos? That’s letting your agent’s agenda and big mouth get your butt shipped from the Los Angeles Lakers for lottery land in Houston. Kobe Bryant had been willing to take back his whole team, but Ariza made the mistake of giving the Lakers what they always wanted, what they always believed was available to them: the combustible and crazy Ron Artest.

Kobe Bryant gets his Rodman now, and yes, this is how all hell breaks loose in Hollywood.

Los Angeles Lakers - 2010 NBA Champs.

Props again to Jerry Buss - the mini-Hef.

Yep, and RAAAACK!!!

Plenty of people attempt to claim that thier team "does it right". Bullshit and Fuck you. This is how its done, kiddies. This, among many many other reasons, is why the Lakers are the Greatest. Franchise. Ever.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

If Artest doesn't lose it during the season, it could be a good deal for the Lakers. Before you dump all over Ariza and his agent, consider the following.....

It was reported Magic, Phil, Kobe, Buss, Odumb, had all texted/spoken with Artest at different times after the playoffs. Artest attended Laker playoff games in L.A. Ariza was the most underpaid Laker based on compensation vs. contribution. Lee was doing his job trying to get his player what he deserved. The Lakers wanted Artest the whole time....and thus far have been successful getting their man and making Ariza look like the bad guy....Before lakerfans start sucking each other's dicks, let's see how this thing plays out....They brought in Payton & Malone one year to win a title and something else happened.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Ariza's role on the Rockets won't be diminished to only 8/4 on a nightly basis.

Ariza was a role player on the Lakers because the offense ran through Kobe and Gasol. Ariza has the athletic ability to take the ball to the hole, move without the ball, he can shoot the 3, and his defense is stout.

Ariza's role will be MUCH bigger when he suits up for the Rockets. He has it in him to be a 20/5/5 guy.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Rockets are going to be 0-1 on Tuesday morning.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Lets get it on, Dins.

Houston wins with excellent perimeter play.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Now short a starting 3 -- but there was a logjam at SF anyway.

I'll go 1 week on a sig, if you're that foolish.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

O/U on how many games before Oden misses a game due to injury.

I'll set the line at 25. And I'll take the under.

O/U on the number of games Oden actually plays this year.

I'll set the line at 60. And I'll take the under.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

In case you're wondering -- Greggy looked FUCKING SHARP in the preseason, FWIW.

With the added dimension of being able to dump the ball into the post, the Blazers become a pretty scary team. It will take some time before the current offense adjusts to it, but shouldn't be too big a problem for what was already the slowest team in the league last year (and #1 in Offensive Efficiency).
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, I read his statline and he did look pretty good so far. Which is why I am laying this out there. The numbers are legit. He played in 61 games last year, starting in 39 so setting the line at 60 is fair. The number of games is just a wild ass guess that I think is reasonable.

So what's your call?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So far, he's been healthy, and strong as an ox...

Save for a little groin pull that he got while using some meant-for-chicks excercise thingy... with the intent to strengthen his inner thighs to avoid groin injuries...

Was just a couplefew days of soreness, apparently.

So, my heart says he'll play all 82, and then a bunch more. But my head, all full of common sense, tells me not too many centers over 270 pounds are going to make it to all 82 for their respective teams.

He's slimmed down quite a bit, now that he has two working knees (always takes 18 months or so after microfracture to regain full strength), he looks much more like Buckeye Oden, rather than Trailblazer Oden... putting spin moves on fools, owning the paint, and whatnot.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Let's do it, Dins. Oden is going to get pwned by Chucky.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Go Coogs' wrote:Let's do it, Dins. Oden is going to get pwned by Chucky.

You guys really, actually, truly started a 6'6" dude at center?

Thoughts --

The game wasn't nearly as close as the score would lead you to believe. Blazers kept the Rox in it with 26 freaking turnovers, 7 of which were Oden (a few on offensive fouls).

Rumps, while your assessment of the perimeter game is solid -- fine group of outside shooters -- but to work the sharpshooting game, a team needs to establish a low post presence...

If Addled-man's idea of "establishing the post" is having Scola go 1-6 while getting his ass physically abused every time he toucheas the paint...

It's off the Lottery Land for the Rockets.

Damn, you guys need help. Team seems built around Yao's post-up game, and in his absence, Rockets got nothing going.

Blazers didn't play all that well... Rockets were atrocious. I was suprised that they looked that bad. Apparently, Yao is even more valuable than we thought (and I already thought he was probably the best low-post player).

Oden -- besides the turnovers -- was impressive. Matter of fact, he's currently leading the league in blocks after one game, with 5. While he wasn't challenged much inside, the defense he did play was very good. And with a third center in the stable (sup Juwan), he doesn't seem to give a crap about the fouls -- he had 5 late, and kept flying all over contesting shots -- he's a new man, now that he's healthy.

Bright spots for Houston -- Chase Freaking Budinger. Dude was just about singlehandedly keeping the Rox close in the 4th -- pretty impressive for a 1st game rook. Last time I saw a rook perform that well in his debut, he went on the be known as Brandon ROY.

And of course, Quack Quack Brooks was nails, as always. Homeboy can pass, shoot from anywhere (although he doesn't launch 3s from halfcourt in transition like the old PAC10 days), and get to the rim -- what else do you want from a PG?

RED HOT AND ROLLIN', BABY!

Rip City
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

I was working, Dins, so I didn't get to see the game. I did see the Rockets were down 19 headed into the 4th and they pulled within 6 with three minutes left on the clock.

The Rockets 3-point shooting success was all on Yao. The strategy was to feed the ball inside and the perimeter defenders would cheat in to help out on Yao. If the shot wasn't there, Yao would kick it back and then the Rockets would swing the ball to the open shooter for the 3. It was their signature play when Yao was bottled up. Obviously, it's not there anymore.

As for the post presence, we are just waiting for the free agent sweepstakes at the end of this season. Scola and Hayes is all we got underneath surrounded by some decent defenders in Ariza and Battier followed by some pure athletes in Landry, Brooks, and Bundinger. What you have is a rotation of 9 role players without any star power. Brooks could develop into a star, but he lacks the size to do it on a nightly basis IMO.

Scola is not 100% right now, but dude is a gutsy player who will put his shoulder down and drive to the hoop. The mulleted grease monkey is pretty fearless in the paint and he ain't afraid to mix it up. When he gets healthy and gives us that 10 and 10 we're familiar with, then the perimeter play will open up a little more. Not much, but a little.

I think the Rockets will play with a lot of heart and compete night in and night out, but will fall short in a handful of close games. They might hang around the 8th playoff spot for a while, but eventually will drop to the 10th spot and take their lotto ticket on the way out the door.

I hate to admit this, but I think it's a good thing that Tracy and Yao are out this year. It will give all of our young guys some good experience and great development. Budinger, Brooks, Landry, and Ariza will all benefit from this season's short falls because of the minutes they play. If things go awry before the trade deadline, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets move Battier for to a contender for a late first round pick. Battier is a good fit anywhere and teams will love what he brings to the table. Battier will be off the books if this were to happen along with T-Mac, Brian Cook, Brent Barry, Scola, and Joey Dorsey. This will free up more than $40 million in cap space for the Rockets. I think they'll resign Scola, but the rest of those guys will be looking for new unis or new jobs. The sweepstakes will begin in 2010 and the Rockets will have Brooks, Yao, Bundinger, Landry, and Ariza to build around. They can pretty much go get anyone they want...if the other party is willing to come to Houston. I'm liking the future of this team.

As for Portland, Dins, I'm diggin' the nucleus you got there. The young players will work out the mistakes and hopefully Oden can learn to be more of a consistent scorer in the paint. If he can develop any post-up skills and draw attention away from Aldridge, Roy, Outlaw, and Fernandez, then they will be the team to beat this season. The turnovers are a big problem though, but you gotta give the Rockets some credit for getting in the lanes and stealing the ball.

When the young guys start handling the ball better, then this team could very well win 60 without even flinching. I think they're still a year away. Miller could change that this year if Blake continues the inconsistency.

One question, Dins, what's the deal with Bayless?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Go Coogs' wrote:The Rockets 3-point shooting success was all on Yao. The strategy was to feed the ball inside and the perimeter defenders would cheat in to help out on Yao. If the shot wasn't there, Yao would kick it back and then the Rockets would swing the ball to the open shooter for the 3. It was their signature play when Yao was bottled up. Obviously, it's not there anymore.

Sounds like a previous Rockets group that we watched, oh, say, about 15 years ago, eh?

Scola is not 100% right now, but dude is a gutsy player who will put his shoulder down and drive to the hoop. The mulleted grease monkey is pretty fearless in the paint and he ain't afraid to mix it up.
Wasn't last night, either. He was just getting pwned by big nasty defenders.

When he gets healthy and gives us that 10 and 10 we're familiar with, then the perimeter play will open up a little more.

Something needs to happen there -- they were getting freaking 3-pointers blocked by guys flying out at them.

One question, Dins, what's the deal with Bayless?

Two things, I think -- A) He's inexperienced, and playing behind old pros (the Miller signing relegated him to the well-worn section of the pine)

B) Which is kind of the big one -- he's a "tweener." Doesn't have the quarterback skills to run the point, and is a little undersized for the 2 -- the same 2 that's occupied by one of the best players in the league, and international superstar Rudy Fernandez.

It's a matter of where to put him, and at whose minutes it comes at the expense of.

Kinda sucks we cut hometown hero Ime Udoka, what with last year's starter Nic Batum going down (who only had that job last year because Martell went down). But we've got SFs up the yingyang, and it might mean Travis Outlaw is no longer ultra-tradebait (I'll bet we'd trade him for Battier, though).

But these early injuries are showing just how deep a team Pritchard has built. Freaking loaded for bear... or loaded for Laker, whichever the case may be.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Battier for Outlaw sounds like a deal that would push the Blazers over the top. You get a crafty veteran who can defend and shoot the three like Outlaw. Sounds like a great fit for both sides. Outlaw comes off the books, but would be a great fit for Houston as Ariza would step into Battier's role as the team's premier defender.

It's a win/win.

As for Bayless, that is a tough situation because the kid is talented, but like you said, there just isn't enough to go around. Portland should try and move him for a veteran.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Go Coogs' wrote:You get a crafty veteran who can defend and shoot the three like Outlaw. Sounds like a great fit for both sides.

Yeah, if you're willing to put up with the mad-athleticism/no brains whatsoever combo that is Travis.

Great guy, but apart from athletic blocks, can't defend anyone -- just outscores them.

He's in a contract year though, and Houston needs some instant-offense, which is his strength for sure. Gets better as the game goes along, which is nice late in close games.

Not sure if it would even be a "legal trade" without checking salaries (I remember Outlaw is around 4.5 a year, I'm guessing Shane does better than that), but we've got plenty of bodies to trade.

As for Bayless, that is a tough situation because the kid is talented, but like you said, there just isn't enough to go around. Portland should try and move him for a veteran.

He gets to the rim like nobody's business. But I doubt anyone not named Bayless' Mom would suggest benching BRoy to let Jarryd get his NBA sea-legs, and leave Rudy sitting on the bench.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Ariza is a beast. Quite a fucking steal if I do say so myself.

Yep, signing Ariza rather than Artest looks like another W for Morey.

How's that defense working out, dins?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

IndyFrisco wrote:O/U on how many games before Oden misses a game due to injury.

I'll set the line at 25. And I'll take the under.

O/U on the number of games Oden actually plays this year.

I'll set the line at 60. And I'll take the under.
bump.

It's bad when Sam Bowie feels sorry for Greg Oden.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The little solace I can find in having a guy who was improving dramatically by the game, to the point he was flirting with dominance, is that knee-to-knee damage can happen to any player, and it's not really indicative of being "injury-prone."

Fuggin Aaron Brooks did our boy -- of all people. Aaron pretty much walks on water around these parts, and I'm sure we'll forgive him.

But like last season, he'll probably be slow on his feet next season.

WTF? Going in to the season, the question was "how is Nate going to split up minutes to keep everyone happy/in the groove?" And which small forward was getting traded was an issue, all signs pointing towards Outlaw. Now, the Walking Wounded are so thin, Nate Freaking McMillen actually had to suit up to field a practice squad, and promptly blew up his achilles.

Yup, it's so bad, our freaking coach went down. It's quite possible that on the coming road trip, there may only be 9 guys in uniform. That's a couple of injuries away from forfeiting games, which obviously won't happen, but could cause a paniced phone call to the D-League.

From Western Conference contender to a MASH unit in 2 months... neat.