2009 Playoffs -- Stanley Cup Finals

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

2009 Playoffs -- Stanley Cup Finals

Post by Shoalzie »

Don't you just love re-runs?

The big key is that the Wings defense stays intact throughout the series. They need their big 4 to play this entire series and keep the Crosby and Malkin lines in check. I really believe it was Kronwall-Stuart controlling Malkin last year was one of the biggest reasons they were able to win the series. The Wings have the advantage as far as depth up front is concerned. Guerin has been a decent third guy for the Pens but not like what they had last year with Hossa putting up similar numbers to Sid and Geno. Fedotenko has chipped in here and there but their other big deadline pickup Kunitz has just one goal. The Wings seem to be able to win with different guys leading the way. The Pens clearly haven't run into a team like the Wings with the type of balance throughout the lineup. Datsyuk is a no-go for Game 1 but they were able to advance past Chicago without him. If they can get him back at some point, that would obviously be a huge boost.

Wings in 6

8)
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: 2009 Playoffs -- Stanley Cup Finals

Post by PSUFAN »

Wings displayed their tremendous discipline again last night. It's extremely difficult to advance the puck against them. The Pens had a few chances but were turned aside.

Osgood is one smug SOB.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

PSUFAN wrote:Osgood is one smug SOB.

I think he's adopted his prickish attitude because of all the hate thrown his way by fans and the media. He has a lot of people behind him now but early on in the season, many had given up on him.

Solid Game 1 effort by the Wings but they got some lucky bounces that lead to goals. I was expecting a much better start to the series by the Penguins compared to last year's back-to-back shutouts in Games 1 and 2. It would be huge to go up 2-0 and possibly get Datsyuk back for Game 3 on Tuesday.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:Don't you just love re-runs?
Not in this case.

First 2 games went as I expected them to. This shouldn't be that long of a series.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Don't you just love re-runs?
Not in this case.

First 2 games went as I expected them to. This shouldn't be that long of a series.

The keys from the first two games:
1. Osgood has made all the important saves while Fleury hasn't shown he's capable of stealing a game. Osgood has also gotten all the lucky bounces/breaks so far.
2. Crosby and Malkin are completely different players when the opposing team actually plays defense on them instead of just backing up on them. Zetterberg has been great against Crosby...much like last year. Malkin has been decent but needs to bury some of the quality chances he's been given. The fact the Wings are locking down the Pens without best defensive forward is remarkable.
3. The Wings will win this series going away if the games continue to be called the way they have been. The Pens will get back in the series if the refs call more penalties and give them more opportunities power plays. I'll be curious to see if there's a shift in calls with the next two games in Pittsburgh. It won't be NBA-like but I think the Pens might get a couple more calls that they didn't get over the weekend.
4. The Wings clearly have the better role players and secondary scoring. If the Pens can't get some help from their supporting cast in Game 3, I don't see this series going back to Detroit.

Game 3 is the Pens' game to lose. All the Wings need to do is split in Pittsburgh and they can wrap this up back home. I think the Pens effort in the first two games this year is much better than last year but they just haven't gotten the results on the scoreboard. They've played well enough to win at least one of those games. Fleury has to be better and Bylsma needs to find ways to get Crosby away from Zetterberg's line to get him kick-started.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Can't disagree with any of that. Pens have not been lucky in this series...they will probably take at least one in PGH when their luck turns, but Deeeetroit looks pretty damn solid - again.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Datsyuk is still questionable for tonight; Draper is healthy but probably won't be inserted into the lineup.
http://detnews.com/article/20090602/SPO ... -uncertain

I say if ain't broke, don't fix it when it comes to Draper. Abdelkader's play through the first two games should easily keep him in the lineup. Helm will finally be a full time player next year...probably taking over Draper's old role.

I'd like to see Datsyuk back but I don't think you to risk him playing on a busted foot. With him at less than 100%, he becomes a liability and Zetterberg has been great against Crosby so far. I'm expecting Malkin to get loose tonight and potting a couple goals. The Pens get on the board tonight in a close game...3-2 or 2-1. Fleury won't get snakebitten by the boards at Mellon Arena...he'll play solid tonight. If the Wings do win tonight, they'll wrap it up on Thursday...tonight is the Pens' best chance to get back in this series.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

:brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

rrrrack the fuck out of the Pens!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll give the devil it's due...that was one of the nastiest rallies I've seen put on the Wings in quite a while. All three goals were gorgeous. Seeing Sid break out makes me a little nervous but you had to figure he wasn't going to go pointless the entire series. Bottom line, if they hold to form, the Cup stays in Detroit. Game 5 is probably more of a must win for the Wings because I don't think I'd want to see them have to go back to the Igloo with the season on the line.

I will say this...there were some brutal dives last night that would make Peter Forsberg blush. Both teams should be ashamed of themselves but I give the refs credit for not making this a power play-filled series. Both teams play a fairly clean game and the refs have let them play for the most part. I was a bit surprised the Wings got the favor of the calls last night but the Pens countered that with the big shorthanded goal by Staal which started that 3-goal tidal wave.

I'm praying for Datsyuk to return for Game 5...Malkin needs to slowed down and Filppula has done an okay job but they need Datsyuk back to shadow him. Give the Wings credit for being 2-2 with their best forward out of the lineup. I doubt the Pens would be in this series if they had to play without Sid or Geno. Zetterberg has really stepped up to keep Crosby under wraps but he needs some help.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Love the victory last night but you can't really get too confident considering the games have been so different in each arena. I think they're more evenly matched in Pittsburgh than they've been in Detroit. With Datsyuk back and looking close enough to right, I think they can wrap it up in Pittsburgh on Tuesday. The balance of power in this series shifts quite a bit when one team gets a vital piece of their lineup back. It's quite remarkable how good they've been without Datsyuk.

It's scary how good they looked last night with him back and any thoughts of Pittsburgh taking full control of this series have probably been silenced. They're going to have a hard time staying alive with the Wings coming off an extra day's rest and with Datsyuk back in the fold. If they did lose, I wouldn't worry too much about a Game 7 just because Pittsburgh hasn't looked good enough to steal a game at the Joe. The Pens might eek one out in the Igloo on Tuesday but then it could end up being a somewhat anticlimactic close to the series.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Well, we're gonna see, bro.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Did Datsyuk and Hossa even play tonight? Jesus Christ were those guys invisible.

Fleury just might be the worst goaltender to ever play in a final Game 7.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Datsyuk wasn't that invisible. Dude is a great stickhandler and he had some nice chances last night.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Not sure where the newbies check in, so I'll do it here...

Datsyuk was invisible last night? I guess...if you didn't even watch the game.

I remember seeing his helmet get knocked off his head in the first period. I clearly remember a brilliant pass to Cleary. Guy was twisting ankles out there playing keep away with some of the Pens.

And I do recall at least two quality shots on goal last night...

Both Osgood and Fleury were awesome last night, both giving up one goal (Ozzie's second goal really wasn't his fault what with a missed poke check and a fine, fine shot by Kennedy). Fleury is pretty damned good despite Game 5's blowout and he showed it last night with some great saves, particularly at the end of the game.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Fleury was awesome? If it wasn't for Zetterberg completely hitting that post, the game is 1-1 and the Wings could have taken over from there. Dude was completely beat.

He's a weak link on that team, if they win it, it's in spite of Fleury.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Fleury was awesome? If it wasn't for Zetterberg completely hitting that post, the game is 1-1 and the Wings could have taken over from there. Dude was completely beat.

Yeah, Fleury was awesome. Your rhetorical question notwithstanding. Hank clearly beat him, as that shot would have beaten probably 99% of goalies, but notice that despite the clear beat, Hank didn't put it in. Precisely because Fleury, while beat, didn't give Hank any room to put it in the net. Ozzie did the same all night long...several quality attempts by the Pens would have have beaten most other goalies but because Ozzie put himself in a great position, the Pens could manage only dinging the post, sliding it wide of the net, or hitting Ozzie in the pads.

I partly agree that Fleury is a weak link but that's not what you said earlier when you stated, "Fleury just might be the worst goaltender to ever play in a final Game 7." There's been a lot of game 7s and a lot of bad goalies. I don't think Fleury is among them let alone the worst of them.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ozzie might've played his best game of the series last night in a losing effort. For the first two periods, he kept that a close game. This game had the makings of a mirror opposite of Game 5. The Wings were fortunate to have a shot at the end to possibly steal the game and avoid a Game 7 scenario. Credit the Penguins for making the plays at the end to preserve the win. I'll also give Fleury credit for rebounding from a brutal Game 5 with a solid performance...he played well enough to win.

Again, I'm not all that nervous about Game 7 considering how the games have gone in Detroit. You really have to wonder how young Pens' stars will react to the notion that they're playing for the title on Friday night...not just the Wings. I give the edge to the veteran savvy Wings in their own barn...that's why you want home ice in the playoffs. Can't complain as a hockey fan to have a Game 7 in the finals against a modern-day dynasty against a blossoming powerhouse with star players barely old enough to drink. Would those guys need to be carded before drinking from the cup...just wondering.

The waiting is the hardest part... :brad:

GO WINGS!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

JMak wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:I partly agree that Fleury is a weak link but that's not what you said earlier when you stated, "Fleury just might be the worst goaltender to ever play in a final Game 7." There's been a lot of game 7s and a lot of bad goalies. I don't think Fleury is among them let alone the worst of them.

Who started Game 7 for the Oilers against Carolina? Roloson was out of the game, correct? Wasn't it Jussi Markkanen? I'd say he's worse than Fleury.

A history lesson...the recent Game 7s in the Cup Finals:
'05-06: Carolina over Edmonton (Ward vs. Markkanen?)
'03-04: Tampa Bay over Calgary (Khabibulin vs. Kiprusoff)
'02-03: New Jersey over Anaheim (Brodeur vs. Giguere)
'00-01: Colorado over New Jersey (Roy vs. Brodeur)
'93-94: N.Y. Rangers over Vancouver (Richter vs. McLean)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_champions
http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

McLean was pretty awesome during that 94 run. He wasn't great in the regular season but he was lights out in the playoffs.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think you can take as much from Game 6 going into this game you can take from Game 5 going into Game 6. This series has been quite a bit different in each arena. The Wings were in the games in Pittsburgh I don't really think they competed enough in those games. Game 6 was theirs for the taking. I see the same team we've seen throughout at the Joe...this is a team with just a single loss at home up to this point and it was a loss in triple-OT. The only way Pittsburgh wins tonight is if Fleury outplays Osgood. He's yet to play well enough nor has he gotten the bounces in the three games in Detroit. He's been completely different in Mellon Arena. I see this one being closer than the previous 3 games in Detroit but the Wings will prevail by two with a late empty-netter to sew it up. I thinking 3-1...Osgood wins the Conn Smythe.

GO WINGS!

Good luck tonight, PSU...but you've already got bode in pro and college football, let us have hockey. :hfal:

War championship #12 on the 12th
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Not rooting for them, but I expect Wings 5-2. And I expect a two goal lead 20 min into the game.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Hopefully the Wings win and Hossa gets to say he's lifted the Cup as many times as I have:

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:Hopefully the Wings win and Hossa gets to say he's lifted the Cup as many times as I have:

:lol:

I'm a purist...I don't believe in those who didn't win the cup should touch it. But cool that you got the opportunity to lift it over your head.

I really wonder about Hossa's future in Detroit. The rumor is there is a 7-year deal agreed upon in principle and it could be announced shortly after the season but he's puckered under the pressure in the finals. He doesn't deserve a huge contract when you compare him to what Datsyuk and Zetterberg does for this team. If they can sign him for under $6 million a year, I'd be in favor of it. If he really likes playing in Detroit, he's going to have to take a discounted price with Franzen now signed long term as well.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

I'm a purist as well, for the most part. The only difference is that I don't believe you should hold it unless you've won it or the lady living next door to you takes care of a hockey player's boats while he's away for the winter and early summer. There are a whole host of other six-degree scenarios I'm willing to consider as well.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Marian Hossa eats shit. Bwahaha. Rack West Michigan native Dan Bylsma.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

That was great watching Hossa during the handshake.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

And RACK Wings fans for their treatment of Bettman.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Marian Hossa eats shit. Bwahaha. Rack West Michigan native Dan Bylsma.
i wanted to feel bad for him for all of four seconds, but then i realised that he was a worthless pos. all he did was keep a few pointless forechecks alive for an extra a second or two. i could do the same by faking a seizure. what a bitch. i hope the reports of a long term deal aren't true. who gives a fuck what you do during the regular season considering a seven seed has just as much chance of reaching the final as a .5 seed.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm done with 81...I hope Kenny lets him walk.

Props to the Pens...my team choked and shit the bed. Ozzie played a solid game but much like a few other times, the Wings sleep-walked through two periods and didn't have enough juice to make the comeback in the third.

The Pens deserved this championship...as I say with gritted teeth. It's easy to start thinking they could be on the verge of a dynasty but then again, people were thinking that about the Wings last year. It's safe to say now that they've arrived and their star players are still young pups. Depending on what they add to their team, I'd put them as the favorites already for '09-10.

At least I still have the Tigers?!?! :oops:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

A stunning fall from grace for the Wings. To go from a 5-0 assbeating in Game 5 to coasting through the first two periods in Game fucking 7 of all games was unreal. 12-2 at home, Game 7 road teams rarely ever win, and yet the Pens pulled it out. I was shocked how slow and tired the Wings looked compared to the Pens, who buried their chances.

RACK Chris Kunitz as well, he played at Ferris State. Best of all? Not a single WCHAer on the Pens. RACK THE PENS.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Rather an amazing turn of events. I was in downtown Pittsburgh early in the evening, which was crawling with Detroit fans headed to the Pirates/Tigers game. Saw a lot of them whooping it up, I guess they were a little more quiet heading back to their hotel rooms. I took a perverse glee in Seeing Osgood and Hossa get served. Here's hoping that the teams continue the rivalry in the coming years.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Here's to they actually play themselves more than once a year. Can't remember when the old schedule comes back into effect.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

JMak wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Fleury was awesome? If it wasn't for Zetterberg completely hitting that post, the game is 1-1 and the Wings could have taken over from there. Dude was completely beat.

Yeah, Fleury was awesome. Your rhetorical question notwithstanding. Hank clearly beat him, as that shot would have beaten probably 99% of goalies, but notice that despite the clear beat, Hank didn't put it in. Precisely because Fleury, while beat, didn't give Hank any room to put it in the net. Ozzie did the same all night long...several quality attempts by the Pens would have have beaten most other goalies but because Ozzie put himself in a great position, the Pens could manage only dinging the post, sliding it wide of the net, or hitting Ozzie in the pads.

I partly agree that Fleury is a weak link but that's not what you said earlier when you stated, "Fleury just might be the worst goaltender to ever play in a final Game 7." There's been a lot of game 7s and a lot of bad goalies. I don't think Fleury is among them let alone the worst of them.
Hey JMak, where was Datsyuk Friday? No surprise, nowhere to be seen.

"Oh but he was around making plays all night!" Shit-eating fucktard.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Hey JMak, where was Datsyuk Friday? No surprise, nowhere to be seen.

"Oh but he was around making plays all night!" Shit-eating fucktard.
Uh, dummy, you stated that Datsyuk was invisible in Game 6. I responded that I thought otherwise.

How, in any way whatsoever, does that relate to Datsyuk in Game 7?

Screw?
Screw?
Screw?

I know, it doesn't.

"Shit-eating fucktard"?

Whoa! I guess next time you're gonna come at me with "fuckslit", "shitheels", or "pissant"? :hfal:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

He wasn't anywhere to be found Friday, either. Being a Wings slappy, no surprise you're failing to get this.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Screw_Michigan wrote:He wasn't anywhere to be found Friday, either. Being a Wings slappy, no surprise you're failing to get this.
Wings slappy? LMAO! I'm a casual watcher and didn't watch a single game until playoffs. I simply disagreed with you regarding Game 6 and the best you have is a weak f-bomb and...what? Nothing. Period. Zilch.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

JMudshark: Where was Datsyuk in Game 7? Take your time.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Screw_Michigan wrote:JMudshark: Where was Datsyuk in Game 7? Take your time.
I'm wasn't aware I was arguing anything about Datsyuk and Game 7. Why change the subject? Take your time sirpopcock.