Peavy voids deal to the White Sox

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Peavy voids deal to the White Sox

Post by Shoalzie »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Buehrle has had a nice start to his season but the rest of the rotation has been suspect. Colon from off the scrap heap has been better than Danks and Floyd and they already tossed Contreras out of the rotation after his 0-5 start. Safe to say they could use a front line starter to compete with guys like Greinke and Verlander within the division. It's really never a bad trade to give up just prospects when acquiring a star player.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Fri May 22, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Peavy to the White Sox (pending Peavy's approval)

Post by Shoalzie »

SoxFan is probably praying that deal to goes through now...down 20-1 to the Twins. :lol:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:SoxFan is probably praying that deal to goes through now...down 20-1 to the Twins. :lol:
Might be the reason why Peavy apparently rejected the trade.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:SoxFan is probably praying that deal to goes through now...down 20-1 to the Twins. :lol:
More like he's a big pussy. "I prefer the NL" = "I'm a big vagina who's afraid of facing real lineups."
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Peavy is a confirmed loser and total pussy. Why does he want to play for a AAAA team, instead of MLB?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:
More like he's a big pussy. "I prefer the NL" = "I'm a big vagina who's afraid of facing real lineups."
As long as the AL has the DH it will always be the 'junior' league.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

jiminphilly wrote:As long as the AL has the DH it will always be the 'junior' league.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? The junior league has real lineups, and pitchers like Peavy are scared of not having that guaranteed out every nine ABs.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The junior league has real lineups
There is nothing real about not making the pitcher hit in a baseball game. If you prefer a watered-down version of baseball then by all means, enjoy the AL in all it's 'glory'. I'll take watching a real lineup (like the Phillies and Dodgers) who manage to score quote a lot of runs without the help of an "extra hitter" in the lineup.
..and pitchers like Peavy are scared of not having that guaranteed out every nine ABs.
History has proven that the pitcher's spot is anything but a guaranteed out. Just ask Joe Maddon who managed to flub his lineup card recently because he had his pitcher batting 3rd on the lineup when the cards were exchanged. The pitcher managed to hit an RBI double.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I didn't say I prefer either league's style or a "watered-down version" of baseball. I said facts are facts: the DH is exponentially more dangerous than the pitcher. Having to regularly face lineups including a DH is much more dangerous to a pitcher (and his stats, i.e. affecting his bottom line) than having to regularly face pitchers. Hence, the whole "I prefer the NL" argument for NL pitchers is "I don't want to get my brains beat in night after night facing AL lineups."

I'm not homering for the AL here, I enjoy both of the leagues' styles. But if you insist on ignoring the fact this is all about not wanting to face statistically better lineups night after night, well, you are a fucking idiot. But being a Philly fan, that's par for the fucking course.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Hence, the whole "I prefer the NL" argument for NL pitchers is "I don't want to get my brains beat in night after night facing AL lineups."
So why is this a bad thing? Peavy doesn't want to face a lineup of 9 hitters every night he pitches and that makes him a puss?? So I guess guys like Mike Jacobs and Hank Blalock are just as much the puss because while they're fine with taking 4-5 at bats in a given night and finishing with 30 HRs in a season, they want nothing to do with catching a ground ball and throwing it across the diamond or god-willing actually be able to make a clean throw to 2nd for DP without fear of making an error or 20. People thought Ryan Howard was destined to be a DH once he became a FA but Howard did something this off-season that caught a lot of people by surprise. He improved his defense. Imagine that??- A power hitter who knew he'd get paid regardless of his his defensive ability went out and improved on one of the weakest parts of his game and now he'll be in the NL for the rest of his career.
I'm not homering for the AL here, I enjoy both of the leagues' styles. But if you insist on ignoring the fact this is all about not wanting to face statistically better lineups night after night, well, you are a fucking idiot. But being a Philly fan, that's par for the fucking course.
You're the one who said the AL had "real lineups" compared to the NL. There is NOTHING real about the AL lineups. It's a 3 year old mistake that's stuck for 30 years because of the MLB Players Union. Peavy has gone on record as saying he'd accept a trade to the Angels and Yanks so he WOULD accept a trade to the AL and when you're in the position he's in, you get to be a little picky about where you go. The fact is he turned down the WhiteSox b/c it's one of the worst pitchers parks in MLB. Guess what? Peavy wouldn't come to the Phillies either
I think you're just pissed that Peavy would rather go to the Cubs than to the lowly WhiteSox. Can't say I blame him.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:As long as the AL has the DH it will always be the 'junior' league.
and pitchers like Peavy are scared of not having that guaranteed out every nine ABs.
How the fuck do you know what Peavy, or any pitcher, is "scared" of.

Seriously, you ought to run a brain check before posting next time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: Peavy voids deal to the White Sox

Post by MuchoBulls »

I am surprised he would veto a trade to Atlanta. Isn't he from around there?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

jiminphilly wrote:I think you're just pissed that Peavy would rather go to the Cubs than to the lowly WhiteSox. Can't say I blame him.
Well, considering the Flubs were willing to sell everyone including their aTm mothers to get Peavy to the North Side and that didn't happen, means you're a fucking idiot. I'm sure Brian Roberts is on his way as well.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

jiminphilly wrote: As long as the AL has the DH it will always be the 'junior' league.
Meanwhile, the AL continues to pound the senior circuit in interleague play like geriatric geezers at a shuffleboard match.

Funny how a mediocre team like the Twinkies can thump the awesome juggernaut that is the NL's 2nd best team, the Brewers, into submission.

Btw, Jim... I caught the game on Fox yesterday where John Mayberry Jr. homered and legged out a double in his ML debut. Being a Big John Sr. fan from way back, that was pretty fucking cool. That kid could be special. He definitely has the pedigree.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

War Wagon wrote: Meanwhile, the AL continues to pound the senior circuit in interleague play like geriatric geezers at a shuffleboard match.

I'm sorry Wags, were you saying something?
(oh and the Phillies took 2 of 3 from the Yanks this weekend.. :lol:

Btw, Jim... I caught the game on Fox yesterday where John Mayberry Jr. homered and legged out a double in his ML debut. Being a Big John Sr. fan from way back, that was pretty fucking cool. That kid could be special. He definitely has the pedigree.
The book on Jr. is that he strikes out too much (40+ times in AAA) but he's got some raw talent and I think he could infuse some energy from the bench which is just sucking wind for the Phillies right now.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't know why you guys are debating and theorizing so much about why Peavy didn't go to the Sox when he came right out and blatantly said he had no desire to play for Ozzie.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:... no desire to play for Ozzie.
..euphemism for "the DH has me quaking in my shoes."
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't know why you guys are debating and theorizing so much about why Peavy didn't go to the Sox when he came right out and blatantly said he had no desire to play for Ozzie.
Because he's a vapid, racist fukkpillow.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't know why you guys are debating and theorizing so much about why Peavy didn't go to the Sox when he came right out and blatantly said he had no desire to play for Ozzie.

Yeah, because MLB players are known for their honesty. :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

He doesn't need to lie. It's within his contractual rights to tell them to get fucked, for whatever reason. Besides, sounds pretty brutally fucking honest to me. Of all the "lies" he could've made up, why choose that one?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Of all the "lies" he could've made up, why choose that one?
Who knows why he chose that one. More importantly, who gives a fuck?

Let's concentrate on da troof = he has no desire to pitch 50% of games in a hitter's park facing much better hitters.

His career ERA away Petco is a full point higher than at home... and it's trending even worse. His "away" ERA 3 out of the last 4 years is in the 4's. He's just not that good. He wants to stay in SD because he's actually regarded at top flight pitcher due to his home field advantage. Look at last year's splits. Home ERA 1.74 Away 4.28 This year H - 2.98 A - 4.32

It's the Coors Field affect, except in reverse. Come on, dude.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I hear you. I see no reason it can't be a combo of factors. I just don't think somebody is going to manufacture a lie of that magnitude. That'd be really bizarre.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

I could be talking out of my ass. I just can't pass up on a chance to punch San Diego in the ovary. A straight shot.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Screw_Michigan wrote: I said facts are facts: the DH is exponentially more dangerous than the pitcher. Having to regularly face lineups including a DH is much more dangerous to a pitcher (and his stats, i.e. affecting his bottom line) than having to regularly face pitchers. .

sincerely,
NOT david ortiz.