Just hand out the Cy Young award now

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Just hand out the Cy Young award now

Post by War Wagon »

Zack Grienke. Period.

guy is dumber than Screwed, except he can pitch like nobody's business.

Just fucking sick.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Just hand out the Cy Young award now

Post by Shoalzie »

Riddle me this...why wasn't he charged with an earned run? I always thought that any runner that got on base by way a hit, walk or hit by pitch and would come around to score is considered an earned run. Is the rule based on how the runner is scored? Laird reached on a double but scored on an error. I assumed since Laird reached on a hit, it's an earned run no matter how he is brought home.

It doesn't take away from what Greinke did tonight though...lights out regardless. I'd tip my cap if I was wearing one. Props to the Royals on taking over first place...early on, it's shaping up to be a very competitive division.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

With one out, Laird went to 3rd on sac fly and Aviles boneheaded throw ricocheted off the runner, allowing him to score. Unearned or not, it was a shitty way to have a 38 consecutive inning scoreless streak snapped.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

If my man Zack can throw another game without an earned run Wednesday he will become the only pitcher in MLB history to do it in 7 consecutive games.

Zack Grienke = :bode:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

which would be nice, but I hope we're not jinxing him ala the SI cover that's coming out this week. Gawd, I hope we're not jinxing him. Dude's got a fragile enough psyche as is and as Yogi said, 90% of the game is half mental.

Regardless, he already has the MLB record for starting the season with 4 games and a 0.00 ERA.

That's never happened before.

I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow night, but right now he's in the company of Don Dryesdale and Orel Hershiser and after Wednesday night, he may not ever have any company ever again.

Go get 'em, Zack.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

The best part about Zack is he's only what, 25? He still has years of pitching left. Not to mention the Royals have him signed for I think 4 or 5 years. The fucking Yankees won't be able to steal him until then.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

Well Zack didn't get the record last night but pitched very well. I think he might have got the record had he not been pitching to one of the smallest strike zones I've ever witnessed. Either way he's $$$.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Nix, have you read this article by Jeff Passan?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Sheesh, all the fuss around here about Posnanskis' SI cover story, which I just got in the mail, and it was a weak ground ball to 2nd base compared to Passans' outright bomb.

Just an excellent read.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

He'll put a bullet in his own head before year end.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I don't know what planet Zack is from, but I know it isn't from this one.

Nobody should ever be allowed to interview him, ever. He's an idiot savant. Just back the fuck off and let the pitching genius speak for itself.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Fucking ProZack with another gem!

I said 5 years ago when he was a rookie that by age 24 he would have a Cy Young. I was wrong. He'll have it at age 25 instead. My god he is sick.

I love hearing PlanetZack interviewed. He's fucking hilarious and he doesn't even know it. I always loved when DA would interview him but then 610 decided they didn't want to have any shot in fucking hell of competing with 810 so they fired him last year. What tards. Annual interviews with Zack by DA were hysterical. If anyone wants to hear them, just go to www.thedashow.com.

I haven't got a frickin' clue how dude can freak out when he's around people or interviewed but is able to just zone everything out on the mound in front of big crowds.

8-1 in 10 starts, 0.84 ERA. 5 complete games.

He could be just average the rest of the way and win the Cy Young. Best pitcher in baseball and he's only 25. Now if only the Royals could find someone that hits as good as he pitches....... Oh well, at least for the first time in a long time we've got something other than Hot Dog Derby races to cheer for even if the Royals don't end up in contention. One way or another, this will always be remembered by Royals fans as "The Summer of Zack".
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

IndyFrisco wrote:He'll put a bullet in his own head before year end.
Why don't you follow suit, dickface?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I haven't got a frickin' clue how dude can freak out when he's around people or interviewed but is able to just zone everything out on the mound in front of big crowds.
I read in a past article about Greinke that he was uneasy pitching in front of big crowds. Shows how much he's changed, pitched in front of a sellout crowd today. RacK Greinke.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Props to Greinke...again. Jackson hung with him for 6 innings before the Royals finally broke through. I'd love to see Verlander and Greinke lock horns some time this season. Hopefully the Tigers' boy wonder (Rick Porcello) can take the series finale and put the division lead back up to 4 games.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

TheJON wrote: I love hearing PlanetZack interviewed. He's fucking hilarious and he doesn't even know it.
PlanetZack.... I like it. The local radio jocks were trying to come with a nickname for him and I don't think I heard that one mentioned. How fitting. As I wrote in the post above yours Jon, I don't know what planet dude is from, I just know it isn't this one. I don't even think he's from this galaxy. Maybe they need to name the next one they discover with the new and improved Hubble space telescope after him.

As for the interviews... I don't find them hilarious, just painful. I don't want to call him retarded, but he's definitely a goofball. It's like having viewed a painting by Rembrant and then meeting the artist and finding out he's an orangutan. And make no mistake, every game that guy has pitched this season has been a masterpiece akin to Beethovens ninth symphony, just a beauty to behold.

So Jon, been to any games yet this year at the new K? They did a good job sprucing the old girl up. I went to the game a few weeks ago when PZ shut down the White Sox. Most fun I've had at a Royals game in 20 years, or at least since George Brett last graced the field.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Yep, been to 3 games so far. Yankees, Mariners, and Indians. 3 day games. Was going to go last week on the Sunday when the Orioles were in town but couldn't make it. Wish I would have after reading about "Little K Fight Club" breaking out that day!!

Love the renovations. Trying to figure out how I can make it for the Reds series. Flying to Florida on the 14th so that poses a problem. Need to see the Reds. They and the Mets are the only 2 teams in baseball I have never seen so want to make it for one of those games if possible.

Got any final predictions for this team and Zack?

I gotta admit, I was drinking the Kool-Aid at 18-11. I was at the game on that day we won #18 and was listening to the postgame show on 810 and Keitzman was trying to temper everyone's expectations. He's such a negative fuckstick. But he was right. This team is mediocre right now. The offense is terrible, Kyle Davies is a fucking bum (jesus fuck Kyle, what do you have against first pitch strikes!!???), and Dayton Moore is a complete and utter retard. Leo Nunez and RamRam NEVER should have been traded. We got a couple of mid-level veterans for them and then picked up Farnsworthless for $5 million a year. Just plain dumb. We would have the best bullpen in baseball and now Soria (when he gets back) is fucking useless since this worthless bullpen couldn't hold a close lead in the 8th if their god damn life was riding on it.

Mike Aviles........what the fuck dude? You just all of a sudden forget how to hit? Oh, that's right......your wrist hurts! Uh hu. Quit jerking off so much, Mike, and when you get back from the "DL", hit the fucking ball.

Luke Hochevar.........Dude, Colt Griffin thinks you suck. Like I said last year, he will NEVER be a major league starter. I know you don't want to see the #1 pick in the draft become a lifetime reliever, but it's time for this organization to just admit that's all they will EVER get out of him. At this point, I'd be happy with him being a career quality middle reliever.

Martha Teabags........Why must you suck so fucking much with RISP???

Gil Meche........ What the fuck dude? You forget how to pitch or something?

Hozey Guillen...... Okay, so you're starting to show some plate discipline. That's good. But seriously, essay, could you hustle just one fucking time in your life???

How the fuck does an organization like Kansas City not have pitching prospects ready and able whenever needed? For fucks sake, we draft Top 10 every fucking year and we don't have prospects stockpiled?? What a joke. Oh that's right........Colt Griffin, Mike MacDougal, Jimmy Gobble, Chris George, Luke Hochevar, Mike Stodolka, Dan Reichert, Jim Pittsley, etc... I forgot. They all sucked.

I wonder if that retard Dayton Moore would like a mulligan on that JP Howell for Joey Gathright trade.

So my final prediction is this.....

79-82 wins- 3rd place finish in the AL Central by 7 games.

Greinke will finish 21-5 with a 2.45 ERA and win the Cy Young!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

May has really turned sour for your guys after the nice start. I didn't expect you to fade instantly because it looked like the division was going to be up for grabs with the Twins, White Sox and Indians scuffling. The Tigers have taken advantage of this division being weaker than expected and their pitching has been dramatically improved with Rick Knapp as the new pitching coach. Much like you guys when you were playing well early on...I'm not going to get to far ahead of myself although it looks like the Tigers are looking like the class of this division in the early going.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Detroit is the class of the division. I saw that in the first series played.

That said, Soria is coming off the DL. He makes a HUGE difference in that bullpen and on the team as a whole. They were 18-11 when he last pitched.

Oh, and Grienke is human afterall. Not that he got lit up today, but the CWS have seen him enough by now and took full advantage of him not being able to put batters away with two strikes and two outs.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Dayton Moore is a fucktard. Trading away Ramirez and Nunez. Our bullpen is just killing us because of it. It's not like he traded them away for star hitters that are even helping our lineup. What a joke.

Defensively, this is a little league team.

Greinke didn't pitch too bad today, but he struggled against the lefties. It was only a matter of time. No one can go on pitching that great. No one ever has. First time in 22 starts that Zack has allowed 4 runs in a game. That is fucking sick!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

War Wagon wrote: It's like having viewed a painting by Rembrant and then meeting the artist and finding out he's an orangutan.
good line.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote:I don't want to call him retarded, but he's definitely a goofball. It's like having viewed a painting by Rembrant and then meeting the artist and finding out he's an orangutan.
I'd rather see that than the standard cliche lines that MLB players pump ad nauseum.
Ever see a Jonathan Papelbon interview? Good shit. Not:

Gotta pick my teammates up.

Give 100% out there.

I'm really proud of the way our guys hung in there.

We were really on our game.

We came to play.

We brought our A-game.

We took them out of their game.

We knew what we had to do and went out and did it.

We proved we're the better team.

We're glad to get out of here with the "W".

They gave us a big scare.

It's tough to win in a hostile environment.

We're happy we could pull this one out at the end.

We feel fortunate.

We knew this would be no cakewalk.

It wasn't pretty but we'll take it.

:meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds:
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Yeah, I love listening to Zack talk about how he cried when Brad and Jennifer broke up, how he loves Chipotle, or how he reads gardening magazines with David DeJesus. Baseball players are typically pretty boring dudes. I mean, shit......they think slapping a pie in someone's face is still funny. Hahahahahahaha.......look at me, I put a pie in your face. I'm hilarious.

Zack is different. Even when he talks about baseball, he's great. And he's honest. No cliches with him. In fact, he's too honest. Dude will tell you when the team sucks or when a player on the team sucks. He's too dumb to know he's not supposed to say the shit he does. I love that. I do not know if this is true or not, but I heard from someone that used to cover the Omaha Royals that the word around the organization was that Zack actually wanted to go to Florida State but his SAT score was too low. It would not surprise me at all. Well, maybe a little. I didn't know FSU actually had enrollment requirements you must meet!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

TheJON wrote:I heard from someone that used to cover the Omaha Royals that the word around the organization was that Zack actually wanted to go to Florida State but his SAT score was too low. It would not surprise me at all. Well, maybe a little. I didn't know FSU actually had enrollment requirements you must meet!
Must be a monumental dumbfuck rivaling Whitey.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

what no props for Zack's stellar 4+ innings lighting up the Blue Jays Friday? :lol:
“No matter what I threw, it was just hammered,” said Greinke. “I’m not used to that. I don’t remember seeing anyone get hit that hard in a long time.

“Today I just got crushed.
In related news, today, the real Cy Young candidate showed the pretender how it's done...
Halladay blanks Royals on 97 pitches for 10th win

After throwing 133 pitches in his previous start, Halladay needed only 97 to earn his major league-leading 10th win of the season and hand the Royals their ninth loss in 10 games.

The tall right-hander lowered his earned-run average to 2.52 by recording 16 ground ball outs, scattering seven hits and striking out six in his second consecutive complete game.

Halladay retired Kansas City in order in five of the nine innings, scooping up a Mark Teahen(notes) dribbler to the mound and throwing the ball to Overbay at first base for the final out.
Of course it was only the Royals so it's not that difficult of a feat for a Cy Young pitcher to accomplish.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

If you look up the term "work horse" in the dictionary, Halladay's picture will be there. You have to put him up there near Greinke as the best starter in the AL right now. Greinke couldn't possibly keep up that pace all year. An ERA in the 2.00-2.50 is what I see for him. I think Halladay will probably end up with an ERA in the 3.00s but that's mostly because he'll be in games longer if you throw that many innings, you're bound to give up runs. I would favor him to win 20 games over Greinke because he gets more run support. Right now, he gets more than 2 runs than Greinke gets in his starts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Otis wrote:what no props for Zack's stellar 4+ innings lighting up the Blue Jays Friday?
I don't even know who that was. It wasn't Zack... at least I hope it wasn't.
Of course it was only the Royals so it's not that difficult of a feat for a Cy Young pitcher to accomplish.
Pretty much anybody who pitches against the Royals looks like Cy Young right now.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Yeah, I know......Zack sure is a pretender. 3 years in the bigs with an ERA under 4 and he's only 25. 111 straight innings without giving up a HR. 11-2 record in his last 15 starts with an ERA well under 2. Yeah, definitely a pretender.

Oh, and dominating the Royals isn't much to brag about. They were a below-average offense to begin with and now they've just completely given up. We make every pitcher look like a Cy Young candidate. It's quite pathetic, but there's no way anyone can say any pitcher threw a gem against the Royals.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

War Wagon wrote:
Otis wrote:what no props for Zack's stellar 4+ innings lighting up the Blue Jays Friday?
I don't even know who that was. It wasn't Zack... at least I hope it wasn't.
it was zack alright.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl ... &type=lgns
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Yeah, good point Otis. I am now standing outside Kauffman Stadium awaiting Dayton Moore's arrival so I can tell him he needs to cut Greinke for having his first bad outing in 23 starts. That is unacceptable and should not be tolerated in baseball. If Dayton doesn't send Greinke's ass packing, I'm done with this franchise.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Otis wrote: it was zack alright.
And I'm telling you that was an imposter wearing #23 the other night. I would say that he was abducted by aliens, but since I've already propositioned that he wasn't from this planet, that wouldn't explain the anomaly. So I'm going to blame it on Canadiens. Yeah, that's the ticket.

1985, bitches.

As for Halladay, he did give up 7 hits in that game. Hell, a Tampa rookie just 2 hit them a few games ago.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

War Wagon wrote:
Otis wrote: it was zack alright.
And I'm telling you that was an imposter wearing #23 the other night. I would say that he was abducted by aliens, but since I've already propositioned that he wasn't from this planet, that wouldn't explain the anomaly. So I'm going to blame it on Canadiens. Yeah, that's the ticket.

1985, bitches.

As for Halladay, he did give up 7 hits in that game. Hell, a Tampa rookie just 2 hit them a few games ago.
Yeah, and we might as fuck pencil in Cliff Lee for 8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K for tomorrow night while we're at it- and that's my homer prediction. I'm an optimisti, so I say the bats explode for a run and 5 hits off Lee tomorrow.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

My favorite pitiful Royals performance was last year when Ervin Santana pitched a complete game shutout on about 90 pitches and had 10 or 11 strikeouts. That was fucking epic. It was either that or Jon Lester tossing a no-hitter last year and if you watched the game he wasn't really even making that great of pitches.

Shit, I got a list of about 30 pathetic performances off the top of my head just in the last year alone. Jesus Christ I need a beer!
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Reading this thread depresses me... now I will leave the forum again. I may never post until the Royals finally win another series but I make no promises. :(
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

TheJON wrote:Yeah, I know......Zack sure is a pretender. 3 years in the bigs with an ERA under 4 and he's only 25. 111 straight innings without giving up a HR. 11-2 record in his last 15 starts with an ERA well under 2.
Don't forget those 48 straight top ten finishes and 16 Big Ten titles in a 3 year span.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Update:
Wed, Aug 26

Greinke struck out 15 and walked one while holding the Indians to two runs on five hits over eight innings on Tuesday night.

Recommendation: He cruised to his 12th win of the season, on a night where the Royals provided ample run support for him. Greinke's dominance throughout the season -- despite his lack of wins -- has him among the leading candidates to claim the AL Cy Young award.

(Rotowire.com)
And...
“That’s about as good as I’ve seen any pitcher in my time here at this level,” Indians manager Eric Wedge said. “He had special stuff tonight. Everything was on the plate. He had everything working.”
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Even better than his performance was he pre-game smack. Told his bullpen "you won't be needed tonight"! Fucking rack the shit out of Zack not only for his outing the other day but for being the best pitcher in the American League all season. He won't win the Cy Young because media outlets out there like ESPN have convinced everyone that your record as a pitcher actually means a lot, but the fact is Zack deserves the award despite his 12-8 record. If he played in NY, he would be about 18-3 right now.

He is....

#1 in ERA
#1 in complete games
#1 in shutouts
#2 in strikeouts

And he's done this with the most pathetic defense in the history of baseball (little league included) behind him.

The Cy Young is not an MVP award. It goes to the best pitcher that year, and Zack has been that. Period.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

25 of 28 voters picked Zack Grienke.

My work here is done.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Toddowen wrote: Who in their right mind and with any talent whatsoever would want to stay in KC?
Someone who signed a 4 year extension on his contract last year, that's who. He's Royals property thru 2012 and the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels and can go fuck themselves.
Is it even possible you could look outside the box on this?
Probably not... which "box" were you referring to?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Was he really quoted as saying, "I know I am a Cy Young Award winner and so aren't you."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Thanks for cheapening up this thread.

:meds: