Props to Brodeur on #552

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Props to Brodeur on #552

Post by Shoalzie »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=271603&lid= ... pStory_nhl

He's just 3 shutouts behind Sawchuk and 1 playoff shutout behind Roy...he should have both those records eventually as well. I don't think he's going to catch Roy's playoff games played and wins record. Sometime next year, he should pass Roy for most regular season games played.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: Props to Brodeur on #552

Post by MuchoBulls »

Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:*

Yeah, hard to ignore his obvious steroid use...

No really, why the asterisk? Shootout wins?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bitter Ranjerks fan asterisk, Shoalz. Tell me you knew.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Bitter Ranjerks fan asterisk, Shoalz. Tell me you knew.
Not bitter at all. Brodeur has gotten over on the Rangers once. Other than that, the Rangers have owned him when it's mattered most.

Good goalie yes, but he is the product of a great defensive system. Hell, how many shutouts did he when he faced fewer than 20 shots a game?

Shoalize, yes, the * is because of shootout wins. I think you already know my feelings about the way points are awarded and how the shootout is bogus. If you're not going to count guys scoring shootout goals, then you shouldn't give goalies W's either.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Well put. Just another reason to hate fucking shootouts. But to be honest, Brodeur has gotten over on the Ranjerks WAY more than once.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:But to be honest, Brodeur has gotten over on the Ranjerks WAY more than once.
In the regular season he certainly has. I think he went like 2 and half season without losing to them.

The playoffs are a different story though. The Rangers have beaten the Devils 3 times with Brodeur in net and lost only once.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

He really came up big last night. :lol:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MuchoBulls wrote:He really came up big last night. :lol:
You were the first person I thought of when I heard about that 90 second melt. Bwhaha.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Wasn't his fault on the tying goal, but it was on Staal's goal. That first goal he let in was real weak.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

MuchoBulls wrote:Good goalie yes, but he is the product of a great defensive system. Hell, how many shutouts did he when he faced fewer than 20 shots a game?

Just good? Good?

Even if he only faced 15 shots in all of his shutouts, odds are... one (14 saves 15 shots = .933 save %) of them goes in the net. No wonder you and Screw_ interact so well together. You're two of the biggest fucking tards on this board. You're both lucky that the likes of m2 and TVO post here, lest you be crowned the next board bitch.

In the 02/03 plyaoffs... when dude recorded 7 shutouts out his team's 16 wins... that was all just a product of the system, right? I agree that NJ's style of play is low risk and prevents their goalie from getting peppered with shots, but dude... come on. If you weren't a Rangers fan, would you still be shoveling this shit?

Good? Please shut the fuck up until 2048 when your shit franchise in due to win another Cup.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Just good? Good?

Even if he only faced 15 shots in all of his shutouts, odds are... one (14 saves 15 shots = .933 save %) of them goes in the net. No wonder you and Screw_ interact so well together. You're two of the biggest fucking tards on this board. You're both lucky that the likes of m2 and TVO post here, lest you be crowned the next board bitch.

In the 02/03 plyaoffs... when dude recorded 7 shutouts out his team's 16 wins... that was all just a product of the system, right? I agree that NJ's style of play is low risk and prevents their goalie from getting peppered with shots, but dude... come on. If you weren't a Rangers fan, would you still be shoveling this shit?

Good? Please shut the fuck up until 2048 when your shit franchise in due to win another Cup.
Yes, just good. If you don't think he was a product of a good defensive system, then that's your opinion. You can easily look at this past season when Brodeur went down with an injury and they didn't lose a beat with Clemmensen/Weekes in net. You can also look at what Lemaire has done with Minnesota and how good the goalies are there while his teams are some of the worst in terms of offense each season.

He had a great run in those playoffs and I saw some of his games first hand when they played the Lightning. Again, he had a great system with guys like Stevens, Daneyko, Neidermayer, so it was much easier. Once those dudes left his numbers were affected.

It doesn't matter if I am a Ranger fan or not. I know we own that guy in the playoffs. I saw him let in some real weak goals in the Carolina series and you could make a good case that he cost his team in Game 7 of that series.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:If you don't think he was a product of a good defensive system, then that's your opinion.
I didn't know that "being in a system" and being a great (yes asshat, great) player were mutually exclusive. Fuck what you saw "first hand" against the Lightning. What do your eyes tell you? I hate the Devils. I hate Brodeur. He's still a great goalie. That's what I've seen the last 18 years. Greatness. You're looking at recent history, I believe. I am looking at the body of work since 1991.

10 times in his career he's been in the Top 10 for most saves during a season. Sure he plays a lot, but if dude is only facing 15-20 shots per game (as you suggest), how can this be?

He's 6th all time in save percentage. Again, even if he doesn't face a lot of shots, only 5 other goalies have done it at a better clip. Ever.

Yeah. He's just... good.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Like I said earlier, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to go and berate you for it, as you do to anyone else who has a differing opinion from yours. You think he's a great goalie and I think he's good. I think we'd both agree that he's a first ballot Hall of Famer because of the records he owns. My point of contention in his wins record is the fact that he pads wins because of the shootout, when Roy couldn't have. By the same token, how many wins would Sawchuk have if he played in the era where there were 82 games.

You do bring up a good point about Brodeur's # of saves in a season. I think that can be directly attirbuted to the fact that he plays in more games during a season. Figure that he probably gets 10-15 more starts than others goalies would suggest about 200-250 more saves because of this.

If you're playing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and you can hand pick your goalie, then where would Brodeur fall?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:If you're playing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and you can hand pick your goalie, then where would Brodeur fall?
In the top 10... and to me, that is "great."

I never saw Sawchuk play. Or Plante for that matter. I doubt you did either, so don't drop "old school" names like you know what the fuck you're babbling about. You're just looking at their stats.

As a kid, I recall seeing Dryden, Espo, and Parent play. Great goalies. I grew up a Bruins fan, so I do remember Cheevers as well. He couldn't beat Montreal in the playoffs and I hated him for that. To me, he was a choker. He's still in the HOF though. Save for maybe Dryden... Brodeur is just as good as any guy I just named.

No comment on the 6th all time in save percentage, eh? Lemme guess, he only saw "easy" shots.

How many goalies do you think are in the HOF, chooch? :lol: This guy is a slam fucking dunk for induction. That means, he's great. Seriously, go fist yourself.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:In the top 10... and to me, that is "great."

I never saw Sawchuk play. Or Plante for that matter. I doubt you did either, so don't drop "old school" names like you know what the fuck you're babbling about. You're just looking at their stats.

As a kid, I recall seeing Dryden, Espo, and Parent play. Great goalies. I grew up a Bruins fan, so I do remember Cheevers as well. He couldn't beat Montreal in the playoffs and I hated him for that. To me, he was a choker. He's still in the HOF though. Save for maybe Dryden... Brodeur is just as good as any guy I just named.

No comment on the 6th all time in save percentage, eh? Lemme guess, he only saw "easy" shots.

No, I didn't see guys like Sawchuk, Plante, Glenn Hall and other guys of that era play, but my father did and I would trust his word on the guys he saw play because he was the biggest die hard hockey fan I knew. I've never had to look at their stats.

Every goalie has faced tough shots, but Brodeur had a long stretch of his career in Lemaire's system where he didn't have to face many shots night in and night out.
This guy is a slam fucking dunk for induction. That means, he's great. Seriously, go fist yourself.
So I guess Clark Gillies is also "great"?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:This guy is a slam fucking dunk for induction. That means, he's great. Seriously, go fist yourself.
So I guess Clark Gillies is also "great"?

Clark Gillies was a "slam fucking dunk for induction"? :lol: He retired in the 80s and was elected into the HOF in the following millenium.

Any other shitty examples you wish to bring to the table?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

No, I am saying Gillies shouldn't even be there in the first place. There were some very good arguements about the validity of the Hall of Fame after his induction. As a Bruins fan, I am sure you would be pissed at people mentioning Gillies as the predecessor type player for guys like Cam Neely.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:No, I am saying Gillies shouldn't even be there in the first place. There were some very good arguements about the validity of the Hall of Fame after his induction. As a Bruins fan, I am sure you would be pissed at people mentioning Gillies as the predecessor type player for guys like Cam Neely.

So... bringing up a borderline HOF and trying to equate him to someone who will categorically get in on his first try, uhm, helps your argument how?

Clark Gillies was a tough SOB. I am not pissed that some people call him the original power forward. In neither instance does your example detract from either player's greatness (Neely or Brodeur.) I have no idea where exactly you're headed, but I am through with you.

Layte.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

My fault for not taking out the "slam dunk for induction" line. My point was about the scrutiny of the Hall of Fame for it's validity in recent years, but we can save that for another time.

Again, you see Brodeur as great and I don't, so there is no need to make a federal case out of it. I don't berate you for your opinion, but I get attacked for mine?

I know you brought up Cheevers earlier in thread. I remember watching him when I was growing up. One of my older brothers was a big Bruins fan (not sure he still follows them) and I used to wonder why the Rangers ever traded Brad Park and Ric Middleton.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:I don't berate you for your opinion, but I get attacked for mine?

I am done debating you on the topic, but I gotta ask... are you new here?

I didn't call you a vapid racist douchebrisquet or even broach the subject of your insatiable lust for black cock... I thought I was pretty cordial. Sorry you feel otherwise.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

LOL. There is the ucant I know.