NHL outlawing playful banter? (Avery suspended 6 games)

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

NHL outlawing playful banter? (Avery suspended 6 games)

Post by Shoalzie »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258182&lid= ... pStory_nhl

I thought it was fairly harmless but knowing Avery, he's trying to get under Phaneuf's skin. What better way than to talk about his past relationship and Phaneuf's current relationship with Elisha Cuthbert. Think about...he could've just as easily said this on the ice to Phaneuf in the middle of a scrum and the fact he said through the press, he gets busted for it. A lot of guys on the ice probably some really personally and nasty things on the ice...where are there suspensions? I hate to say it but I'm sticking up for Avery on this one...the league is wrong. The only thing I can see from suspending him is that it'll delay an encounter with Phaneuf on the ice. Not to mention, I wanted to watch this game tonight because of what Avery said and now he's not playing and the spice is out of the game. Thanks Gary...

Rules are rules...photos with her and her two bad boys.
Image Image
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: NHL outlawing playful banter? (Avery suspended)

Post by MuchoBulls »

Fuck Bettman. It would have been sweet seeing Phaneuf take some runs at Avery.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sloppy seconds? BWAHAHAHAHH! Sounds like Avery has been posting at t1b for years. From what I read in the press, I assumed it was going to be "bitches" or "whores." But sloppy seconds was just great.

Someone tell Tom Hicks to go fuck himself, get over himself and stick to counting all the millions of dollars he's still playing A-Rod to play for the Yankees. Dumbfuck. Get off your motherfucking high-horse.

Avery should of mentioned how her boobs really aren't as big as everyone thinks as well. Even I was shocked, and we have to put up with giant bags of silicone like Goobs every day.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

What he said is still hilarious.

I have to agree with screw about Tom Hicks. What an assclown. You know all the guys in the locker room were laughing at that.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

MuchoBulls wrote:What he said is still hilarious.

I have to agree with screw about Tom Hicks. What an assclown. You know all the guys in the locker room were laughing at that.
Actually, they're not. Turco and Mo have gone on record as being embarrassed/disappointed by this and I think it has to do with more than this little incident. I get the vibe that he is not a good teammate and is probably not very well liked on the team. I watch all of the Stars' games and he really hasn't as good as advertised on the ice either. Why couldn't he have gotten injured instead of Brendan Morrow??? But on the surface, I kind of agree with you guys. It was a cheesy thing to say but was it that bad? And I wonder if Phaneuf (much bigger player) would've gone after him or just laughed it off as a mere annoyance? Also, from what I hear, Cuthbert dumped Avery, not the other way around.

As for Hicks still paying A-Rod.....that ended after the 2007 season when A-Rod with his baseball anti-Christ agent, Scott Boras, opted out of that massive contract, hoping to find even MORE money elswhere. Remember? I couldn't believe that $25M wasn't enough for this guy......but it wasn't!!!!! Then A-Rod essentially dismissed Boras and ended up re-signing with the Yankees, letting Hicks off the hook for a ton of cash. Oh, has Hicks used that on the Rangers??? Hell, no. He's gone on record as trying to emulate the Tampa Bay Devil Rays...you know, with scrappy young players (read: cheap) that hopefully catch lightning in a bottle. Hasn't really worked too well. Rangers will never do squat with him owning team.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Well I think the suspension is more to do with the fact that Avery went hunting for the cameras and went into his obviously-rehearsed speech. Avery was already on thin ice and this was just the thing that put him over the edge with the league. I think they've been waiting for him to give them a reason. It's just Avery being a jackass again. Admittedly, an entertaining jackass.

And, yeah, mustang beat me to it. The Stars players have been nothing but critical in speaking of Avery. As a matter of fact, they looked like a pretty solid, tight team playing the Flames last night without him.

As for Phaneuf, I don't know if this stuff bothers him or not, but his performance on the ice last night sure suggests it did! He was awful last night.

But really it is a harmless comment and lord knows this stuff is the norm out on the ice. You hear this stuff around the office let alone out on the ice. Any grown man who has that thin of skin to let that get to them obviously needs to get out and experience more. And no woman other than Elisha herself should feel offended. It's funny to me seeing all the sports newscasts and how they need to prep their audience like they're about to show a fricken beheading or something.

Noooooooo!!!!! He didn't say SLOPPY SECONDS, did he?
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mustang wrote:Also, from what I hear, Cuthbert dumped Avery, not the other way around.

Makes sense to me...that kind of statement came someone who had a relationship that didn't end on his terms.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Shoalzie wrote:... Not to mention, I wanted to watch this game tonight because of what Avery said and now he's not playing and the spice is out of the game. Thanks Gary...
logs into T1B FHL 2K8 fantasy pool,
performs player search: Avery
owner=Vicksburg Lakers

:lol:
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

See my post on the league message board... :doh:

Avery issues an apology...probably more for damage control and to get some leniency from the commish of the poor taste league.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258281&lid= ... dlines_nhl
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

So this starlet puck bunny has gone from shitty player to better player. Working her way up the chain I guess.

Bet Gretz wishes he was still on the ice.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Gretz did very well for himself....Janet Jones no slouch.

Anyhow, pretty much what I suspected, Avery has zero support in the Stars organization. Many times when a player F*s up, his teammates circle the wagons, even grudgingly, to help him out. Not in this case. Avery has alienated the entire organization, from top to bottom and Brett Hull has to be a bit embarrassed by signing that douche for 3 years. If was just a case of him mouthing off like he did the other day, that'd be one thing. But that's the tip of the iceberg. Dude is hated by his teammates. I'd be surprised if he plays another game for the Stars.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Re: NHL outlawing playful banter? (Avery suspended 6 games)

Post by Adelpiero »

Avery should appeal, then file a grievance. If he files a grievance, he will win.

Why no hate for Hull??? he was the dipshit who signed Avery(Hull is the GM folks). Hicks is just a jerkoff. The lies about ballpark village(sup bill dewitt) to get Locals to pay for/all of his new stadium, the ruining of Liverpool under his ownership, etc.

Avery is still a great pest with skills, but it seems he's becoming more of a circus than being a pest.

to me, i don't think he said anything to get 2 games suspended, let alone 6 games.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Kind of a stupid reason to suspend someone, eh? Trash talking? Pretty weak. This kind of thing, and much worse, is constantly spewed on the ice in your average NHL game. Whatever. I think the league digs the publicity, though. Unfortunately, this is about the only way the NHL makes gets any run down here. You oughtta' hear the average radio guy try to pronounce Dion Phaneuf. Then again, in games I've heard announcers say PAN-uff and FAN-uff....so I don't know myself. JD?

Stars are looking at this as a way to get rid of him. $15+M contracts are hard to peddle though. Tom Hicks knows all about that......
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

6 games is way too many even with it being retro. 2 games tops, one would be fair. Deep within hockey is the underlying code and Avery crossed it. Hell, he crosses it a lot and finally he's on a team that won't put up with it. Ever been on a sports team where a single player constantly makes an ass out of himself? I have and it sucks. I cant imagine what that must be like when you are playing at the highest level and in the public eye.

Hull's is a raging douchebag. Figures he would over pay for a player like that. Maybe the two of them can run away together and live happily ever after.

I hate the Stars and really hate Modano (only for the fact that he's been a one man Oiler killer) and this really burns me to be on his side.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Avery's future unknown, Hull could be on his way out?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=259199&lid= ... dlines_nhl

I think Hull and Avery will either both stay or they'll both go...they're a package deal. I'm not saying Hull follows Avery to his next city but I think both guys should go if either of them are going to be out of Dallas. They've got a two-headed GM right now so firing Hull won't hurt them from that standpoint. If they can find someone to take Avery and you can grab a prospect or an expiring contract, that would be a win for the Stars as well. I think signs point to both guys not being with this franchise for much longer.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

And Tom Hicks still being a dumbfuck. Same shit, different day in Dallas.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Avery not returning to the Stars after his suspension is up

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=259679&lid= ... dlines_nhl
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Mustang wrote:You oughtta' hear the average radio guy try to pronounce Dion Phaneuf. Then again, in games I've heard announcers say PAN-uff and FAN-uff....so I don't know myself. JD?
Fa-noof, but that oo is as in hood rather than mood. But lately in Calgary we've been pronouncing it, "turnover machine".
Still a FlameFan